New York State Lawmakers Reject Gay Marriage Bill

New York state lawmakers reject gay marriage bill

By MICHAEL GORMLEY (AP) - 26 minutes ago

ALBANY, N.Y. - New York lawmakers rejected a bill Wednesday that would have made their state the sixth to allow gay marriage, disheartening advocates already stung by a similar decision by Maine voters just last month.

The New York measure failed by a wider-than-expected margin, falling 12 votes short in a 24-38 decision by the state Senate. The Assembly had earlier approved the bill, and Gov. David Paterson, perhaps the bill's strongest advocate, had pledged to sign it.

New York also doesn't allow civil unions, but has several laws, executive orders and court decisions that grant many of the rights to gays long enjoyed by married couples.

The vote comes after months of delays and arm twisting of lawmakers sympathetic to the bill but representing conservative districts. It also follows a referendum in Maine that struck down a gay marriage law before it took effect.

Immediately after the vote, gay rights advocates chanted: "Equal rights now!" Many said they weren't surprised by the decision. Most, including Paterson, said they at least wanted a floor debate and vote.

Senate sponsor Thomas Duane, a Manhattan Democrat and the Legislature's first openly gay member, vowed not to give up his life's goal.

"I'm like a dog with a bone," said Duane in his closing remarks on the floor, when defeat was becoming clear. "I wouldn't let go of anyone ... Because I don't give up. I don't know how to!"

Gay marriage is legal in Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts and Vermont. A New Hampshire law takes effect Jan. 1.

"It's certainly disappointing," said Richard Socarides, a 55-year-old Manhattan lawyer and resident and former President Bill Clinton's senior adviser on gay rights issues. "I'm surprised that it was not closer. We'll have to take a hard look at what went wrong."

Sen. Eric Adams, D-Brooklyn, challenged lawmakers to set aside their personal religious beliefs. He asked them to remember that once even slavery was legal.

"When I walk through these doors, my Bible stays out," Adams said.

"That's the wrong statement," said gay marriage opponent Sen. Ruben Diaz, a conservative minister from the Bronx. "You should carry your Bible all the time."

Diaz was the only opponent among the 38 to speak. Eighteen senators gave impassioned speeches, often about family members who survived the Holocaust and discrimination and would want gays to be equal under law.

Le sigh.

I thought NY would be more open minded. LA and NY are now equally lame.

Hopefully they'll keep at it. No problem with gay marriage to me. What's the big deal?

good.

grin.gif

Originally Posted by quik1987

Some NY state senators are extremely conservative ministers (it's important to mention they're Blacks and Latinos) and have pretty muchturned the debate into "the bible and what marriage means vs. homosexuals".

this quote bothers me the most because it undermines the very concept of "Separation of church and state"

Sen. Eric Adams, D-Brooklyn, challenged lawmakers to set aside their personal religious beliefs. He asked them to remember that once even slavery was legal.

"When I walk through these doors, my Bible stays out," Adams said.

"That's the wrong statement," said gay marriage opponent Sen. Ruben Diaz, a conservative minister from the Bronx. "You should carry your Bible all the time."

It's one thing to let your morals guide your decisions, but to base your decisions on quotes from a religious book?

why do legislators point to the constitution when it serves their purpose, but conveniently ignore it when it means voting in a way contrary to that of theirbenefactors
mad.gif

why do people act like legislators / judges are capable of being neutral. you can say all the pretty things in the world but you still have your upbringingsand some bias.

News flash. You will never get true separation of Church and State. Some people really are passionate about their beliefs. I don't think you can tell themto forget about that when you walk through these doors. That's another way to force them to play your game.

People would much rather go against their fellow man than God.

Originally Posted by RKO2004

News flash. You will never get true separation of Church and State. Some people really are passionate about their beliefs. I don't think you can tell them to forget about that when you walk through these doors. That's another way to force them to play your game.

ok... but to say "the bible tells us that homosexuality is a sin..." during a senate debate
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Nako XL

News flash. You will never get true separation of Church and State. Some people really are passionate about their beliefs. I don't think you can tell them to forget about that when you walk through these doors. That's another way to force them to play your game.

ok... but to say "the bible tells us that homosexuality is a sin..." during a senate debate
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
That is funny in a sense because of the separation issue. But I seewhere dude is coming from.

I know its kinda off topic, but has anyone noticed that more and more kids are turning gay/bi as a trend now. OMG I swear this dude I know is doing it for theattention He gets now. Dude had a tough time with girls but now He gets all types of attention from guys. He's not the only one though. many chicks in highschool did the same thing because "guys didn't know how to treat them"
mad.gif
. If there are people who are born gay, then these new age gays are ruining your argument. Attention seeking FTL.
tired.gif

and as much as people hate the argument, 50 years ago, Black men were thought to be genetically mentally afflicted rapists and murderers. without exception.people shouldn't judge.

new age, attention seeking gay or not, the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment applies to all. so why, since its inception, has it been useddiscriminately?

to use the example of a few, to justify denial of rights to several is an injustice and wrong.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
That is funny in a sense because of the separation issue. But I see where dude is coming from.

I know its kinda off topic, but has anyone noticed that more and more kids are turning gay/bi as a trend now. OMG I swear this dude I know is doing it for the attention He gets now. Dude had a tough time with girls but now He gets all types of attention from guys. He's not the only one though. many chicks in high school did the same thing because "guys didn't know how to treat them"
mad.gif
. If there are people who are born gay, then these new age gays are ruining your argument. Attention seeking FTL.
tired.gif
Even if some people practice homosexuality as a trend, why can't two consenting adults get married to each other?

I still have yet to hear a good argument about why same-sex marriage shouldn't be legal.

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

cant voice my opinion in NT so nevermind...

voice your opinion dude. the thread is still young and ignorance free.

i admit these debates never get anywhere, on here or outside, but that never means they shouldn't happen.

and if they get some people to at least look at their opinions whatever they may be and consider the other side's views one way or the other, then its agood thing.

Some NY state senators are extremely conservative ministers (it's important to mention they're Blacks and Latinos) and have pretty much turned the debate into "the bible and what marriage means vs. homosexuals".
seriously though?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Lrrr

Some NY state senators are extremely conservative ministers (it's important to mention they're Blacks and Latinos) and have pretty much turned the debate into "the bible and what marriage means vs. homosexuals".
seriously though?
laugh.gif

I'm Black. It bothers me that whenever extreme right wingers need something progressive voted down they run to the lower-income Black and Latinocommunities with offers of reform and shallow promises in exchange for support. (Really all they probably have to say do is point and yell "Eww, lookthose two guys are kissing! They hate Jesus!")

So yes. It is important for me to point out that the New York Senators leading the charge, and the ONLY ones willing to speak out to the press (with biblethumping justifications) are Black and Latino.

Originally Posted by LamarOwnsem

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
That is funny in a sense because of the separation issue. But I see where dude is coming from.

I know its kinda off topic, but has anyone noticed that more and more kids are turning gay/bi as a trend now. OMG I swear this dude I know is doing it for the attention He gets now. Dude had a tough time with girls but now He gets all types of attention from guys. He's not the only one though. many chicks in high school did the same thing because "guys didn't know how to treat them"
mad.gif
tired.gif
Even if some people practice homosexuality as a trend, why can't two consenting adults get married to each other?

I still have yet to hear a good argument about why same-sex marriage shouldn't be legal.

Well if we basing this on religion, it was created in the church, for the church, and it wasn't meant for them.

I don't give a damn what race you are - don't bring Blacks and Latinos into this discussion...

...if you think religious and conservative Blacks and Latinos are the sole opposition to gay marriage, not only are you sadly mistaken - you're foolish.There's a reason as to why middle American loved the hell outta Carrie Prejean.

Back
Top Bottom