NEW YORK METS 2010 SEASON POST: Collins named New Manager

smh.gif

I want Lee...F-Mart and Thole.

I'd rather go after Lilly if they don't want to pay Oswalt. It'll probably won't cost all that much, something like F-Mart and Holt or something.

Just a bad stretch, some up and down pitching but they have to at least win today and enjoy the break. They will be in the mix all season long.

Oswalt > Lilly.....we need a top of the rotation guy to give us some serious depth.

ehh way too many automatic outs on the met lineup. getting to the point where i have to change the channel when bay bats. i dont even think pelf pitched bad yesterday, the offense wasnt gonna score for him anyway.

The lineup is streaky but they never slump for too long, and Atlanta has some good pitching.

They need this break badly, and Beltran will slide into the cleanup spot (thank Ike for the job well done, we couldn't have asked for more, but its time he hits 6th with less pressure).

Yea our offense has been lacking these past few games, but lets hope Santana has a great game today and gets a W for us.
pimp.gif

good win, glad to see santana pick up the w. going 2-4 on that homestand sucked though.

better to only be down 4 on atlanta then 6 had they lost today though i guess.

this west coast trip outta the break is going to be crucial though and i think we'll know what to expect the rest of the way afterwards.

philly is playing decent ball now and their the sleeping giant in the divison imo. this road trip will either keep them on pace with philly and possibly let them gain some ground on the braves or it could go bad and they lose ground.

for now ill be happy with the 1st half ending right though

congrats to Johan on his 12th win of the season
pimp.gif
 (just joking, but thats what he should have haha 
roll.gif
)
Today was a MUST win, and Santana came through again in a big spot like we knew he should. Again, this is why he IS our ACE and hopefully his performance will continue through the second half as it should. I am excited for the second half and I believe the division will go down to the last week. Phillies are starting to heat up too and I think we absolutely need to make a move for another reliable starting pitcher ASAP. Beltran will be back too, and if he comes back playing like Beltran, we will be right there with all the other top teams competing and playing meaningful baseball come September. 
Nonetheless, it is definitely a lot better to be 4 games out then 6! 

Originally Posted by jordansmakeyoupoor

congrats to Johan on his 12th win of the season
pimp.gif
 (just joking, but thats what he should have haha 
roll.gif
)
Today was a MUST win, and Santana came through again in a big spot like we knew he should. Again, this is why he IS our ACE and hopefully his performance will continue through the second half as it should. I am excited for the second half and I believe the division will go down to the last week. Phillies are starting to heat up too and I think we absolutely need to make a move for another reliable starting pitcher ASAP. Beltran will be back too, and if he comes back playing like Beltran, we will be right there with all the other top teams competing and playing meaningful baseball come September. 
Nonetheless, it is definitely a lot better to be 4 games out then 6! 

i think santana will be strong down the stretch and will step up big.   if the team can get roy oswalt ill have a blue and orange orgasm.

i really agree with the part about them playing meaningful baseball in september this year though.   when i was in new york i made it to 5 games last season in august when things started going south,  i went to a game when they beat the phillies and the stadium was going crazy but other then that the other games i went to  david wright got hit in the head by matt cain and krod blew saves and it just seemed so depressing watching everyone get hurt. it seemed like everyone at the games was too busy walkin around checkin out the stadium too most of the time
laugh.gif

i got tickets for when they play the phillies next month and i'm real excited to go to that game,  it's good seeing your team in the race.

i'm tempted to make it to all 4 games when they play the dodgers out here next weekend when they hopefully end this roadtrip right.

Originally Posted by blackngold1z

Originally Posted by chino905

good way to end the first half of the season. Another shut out game by the Mets

sweetb avy....all my favorite teams.
pimp.gif
yea me too except for the Rangers since i barely watch hockey. But i should give it a try. And I don't really have a favorite basketball team, but i'll always support the Knicks. 
pimp.gif

NEW YORK -- For most of the 2007 season, the Mets were a conspicuously incomplete team. They were missing a piece. And so they played out the string while waiting for Pedro Martinez to return, knowing full well that he could not fix all their problems -- but banking on the fact that he might be able to help.

Not since that time have the Mets felt so anxious for a player's return.

Now, it's Carlos Beltran's turn to help.

"I'm happy to be back and be part of the team," Beltran said Sunday, "to try to help accomplish our mission, which is to try and win a division and try to be in the playoffs."

First thing, of course, is first. Beltran will return to the Mets on Thursday, for the start of a four-game set in San Francisco. He will bat cleanup and start in center field, with the Mets hoping to keep him entrenched in both roles for the remainder of the season.

The Mets have seen nothing of this magnitude since Martinez returned to the Mets in September 2007 after an 11-month recovery from right rotator cuff surgery. In the thick of a heated pennant race, Martinez started five games for the Mets and won three of them, posting a 2.57 ERA at a time when the Mets were in desperate need of effective starting pitching.

Martinez was limited, as Beltran will be, unable to approach his past levels of greatness. But Martinez helped. And the Mets hope that Beltran can provide a similar boost.

"I don't expect to come here and rake," Beltran said. "I expect to come here and do my part."

That said, everyone will make way for the five-time All-Star and 1999 AL Rookie of the Year. To accommodate Beltran, rookie Ike Davis will move out of the cleanup spot in the lineup. He and the five through seven hitters will all shift down a notch. And right fielder Jeff Francoeur will relinquish some of his playing time -- including Thursday's start -- to Angel Pagan, who thrived as the center fielder in Beltran's absence.

The Mets are hoping for a seamless transition.

"He's ready to go," manager Jerry Manuel said. "He probably won't be at the level of everybody else. That will take him some time. But he's still a pretty good player."

The last time Beltran played a full season for the Mets, he hit .284 with 27 home runs, 40 doubles, 116 runs scored and 112 RBIs in 2008. He is older now, of course, at an age -- 33 -- when so many big leaguers begin to decline. And Beltran is just six months removed from arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. He will wear a brace on the joint that will limit his mobility.

But he remains Carlos Beltran, a name that carries some cache. When he digs in the box Thursday, likely in the first inning against Tim Lincecum of the Giants, people will take notice. The Mets will all crane their necks to sneak a peek at what they've been missing.

In 14 rehab games with Class A St. Lucie, Beltran hit .367 with seven walks and five doubles. The Mets will take even a fraction of that production with the big club.

"I'm ready to go outside and play the game the way it's supposed to be played," Beltran said. "It doesn't matter if I'm 80, 90, 100 percent. What is important is that ... I'm good to go.

take 3 out of 4 san francisco, sweep arizona, and take 3 out of 4 from the doyers and ill be very happy.

this road trip is crucial, start the 2nd half on a roll and make that push.

Beltran's back tonight. I don't expect him to be back to form after only seeing Single-A pitching for the past few weeks. Hopefully he stays healthy and can help the lineup.

Could any of y'all imagine if we actually had a 2nd baseman that could hit?

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

take 3 out of 4 san francisco, sweep arizona, and take 3 out of 4 from the doyers and ill be very happy.

If we didn't suck on the road then yea
laugh.gif

Beltran to play CF, he hasn't seen Major League pitching in over a year so this will take some time, but with Pagan killing righties and Franc killing lefties, we will rotate the 4 outfielders for the time being

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

If we didn't suck on the road then yea
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
frown.gif
  your right.    i'm going to sit here and think about them sweeping the orioles and indians  from earlier this year and try and forget that tim linecum is pitching tonight.

hopefully the team suprises me on this roadtrip though.

1.92 ERA the past 7 games but we are 2-5, talk about an offensive rut.
sick.gif

Just have to weather the storm before the midway point of this road trip so we can at least end this on a good note.

Back
Top Bottom