[[ NEW YORK METS 2009 OFFSEASON POST: Beltran ahead of schedule ]]

Gado and Wags would only be considered Tu[e B free agents right (considering they missed all of this season)? IDK if they'll warrant a good pick, but itsstill decent.

[table][tr][td] [h2]http://www.metsblog.com/author/admin/[/h2] [/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td] [h2] [/h2] [/td] [td] [table][tr][td]Quote: Jerry Manuel likes Sheffield for 2010[/td] [/tr][tr][td]By Matthew Cerrone - Aug 12, 2009 8:45 am[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]
Jerry Manuel said yesterday Gary Sheffield will likely return to the starting lineup this afternoon against the D-Backs.

Manuel later said he would like to see Sheffield back with the Mets next season.

"I think he can still be a very productive
3565932343_a7b8d3a592.jpg
player at the age of 40," Manuel said. "It all hinges on health."

right now, i think jerry should be far more concerned with whether he is back with the Mets next season, not sheffield…

Sheffield leads the team with 10 home runs and is batting .283 in 81 games, while averaging roughly one walk and one strike out per game.

…look, i have nothing against sheff… he has done significantly better than i ever thought he would… also, he's been a model citizen, for the most part, and has worked with Jeff Francoeur, Daniel Murphy and others in a positive way, all while adding a bit of attitude to the team… that said, if he's on the roster next season, something went painfully wrong in the off season… the idea is to get younger and more athletic, and sheffield is the total opposite of that

sick.gif

sick.gif
sick.gif

I will double that for you Mez.

Like that article says on Metsblog, Manuel should worry about his Job and not if Sheffield should be back or not.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Ehh....the team has heart but they just don't have the talent to compete, they've won a lot of games they had no business winning.

I know it's there, but what I really meant was that when he is on the hill, it seems like the team is actually in a playoff race because of his intensityand tenacity. Dude goes all out no matter what. I know the team has heart, but the talent just isn't there with so many key players missing.

I have no problem with Beltran being traded in the off-season. I think we could get a much needed haul for him.

Hopefully we place Wags on waivers and the Rays pick him up. They have a lot of nice talent.

Wright was just hit in the head by a 94 mph fastball from Cain
tired.gif
...thisseason is so bad

Mets law, anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

Gotta love having Johan on your side in that kind of situation though. I think hitting Molina was more him showing some frustration for the kind of season theteam has been going through.

Just caught up on what happened yesterday. Santana =
pimp.gif

As far as David goes, that definitely was scary looking.

It's exactly why I hate Joba Chamberlain. He's a sucker who always throws at people's heads. Punk %%% %@+*$.

That's not part of the game imo.

It was a really good crowd at tonights game vs the Braves. 4th inning was just insane 10hits setting a club record. To bad it doesn't mean anything
laugh.gif

I went looking for this thread and saw it back on like the 6th page.

I guess everyone bailed on this season huh?
laugh.gif

And I've had fam in town since last wed. Still here for another week or so too.

I haven't even been able to watch a game since.

I have no excuse... we just suck...
laugh.gif

I'm not wasting my time watching a minor league team anymore... If our regular guys were actually playing I would watch though.

^
nice, yeah i have stuff to do today so i ended up goin to last nights game, got a ticket off a scalper for $15. it was nice seeing them win and fun going backand forth with all the phillie fans who ended up going to the game. i'm gonna try and go either tomorrow or monday since i gotta catch one more game beforei go back to la

I would have liked to go to todays game, oh wells.

Is Pedro starting tomorrow? That'll be interesting to say the least.

^ Yes

Pedro goes against Ollie.

Still can't believe Ollie got that win Tuesday night. My section was ready to leave when Anderson went down.

Matthew Cerrone

Buzz: Red Sox, Real Prospects and Billy Wagner
By Matthew Cerrone - Aug 22, 2009 9:25 am

"The Red Sox were awarded a waiver claim on Billy Wagner on Friday, according to two major-league sources," writes Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com.

Yesterday, Jayson Stark of ESPN.com said if the Mets want to get a decent prospect in return for Wagner, they will likely need to pay most of the $3.5 million left on his contract.

However, according to Rosenthal, "The Mets will be reluctant to include money in a deal."

That said, Rosenthal cites a rival executive as saying the Red Sox will be motivated to give up 'real prospects,' in a deal for Wagner.

The Mets and Red Sox have until Tuesday, 1 pm, to work out a deal.

The Mets (57-66) continue their four-game series against the Phillies (70-50) at 1 pm today in Citi Field, with Oliver Perez taking on Pedro Martinez.

Angel Pagan will hit leadoff today, followed in order by Luis Castillo, Daniel Murphy, Jeff Francoeur, Cory Sullivan in center, Fernando Tatis at third, Brian Schneider behind the plate, Anderson Hernandez at short, and Perez.

Martinez (1-0, 4.50 ERA) was on the disabled list four times in four season with the Mets, going 5-6 with a 5.61 ERA in 20 starts last season.

Perez (3-3, 6.06) won his first game in six weeks in his last start, when he allowed four runs in five innings against the Braves. He is is 2-3 with a 3.55 ERA in 13 starts against the Phillies.

Update, 11:49 am:

Before today's game, Jerry Manuel said Gary Sheffield tweaked his wrist lifting weights, but should be available to pinch hit.

Manuel said Perez assured the team that his knee is fine, and he's ready to go roughly 100 pitches in today's start.

Lastly, Manuel said Billy Wagner is available to pitch in today's game.

Back
Top Bottom