NBC's Community Thread - 6/2 - Ep. 13: "Emotional Consequences of Broadcast Television"

Thread bump. Seven minutes until the clay episode 
pimp.gif

best part of the episode...

"who taught you to be a psychiatrist, Michael Jacksons dad?"

and the last scene with the reflection in the TV with them all real

Tonight's episode wasn't really funny, but it actually had some meaning behind it for the Christmas season. Who caught that in the T.V. at the end, the clay characters reflections was the real people?

Wait, was this the season finale?

I loved it.

"It's the first season of Lost on DVD." "That's the meaning of Christmas?"
"No, it's a metaphor. It represents lack of payoff."

laugh.gif

No, not even close. There are 24 episodes; this was like 11 or 12.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

No, not even close. There are 24 episodes; this was like 11 or 12.

Oh wow. I could have sworn Abed said something that made it sound like this was the last of the season, or maybe he was just comparing this episode to last seasons Christmas episode. I was thinking throughout that this season must have went by really fast
laugh.gif

Haven't seen it yet, but sounds like another good but somber episode. We get spoiled with the episodes that are so ridiculously funny that you forget that these episodes are the norm.

I loved how condescending Shirley was when she was trying to display humbleness after saying, "Season's greetings." 
laugh.gif

Great episode tonight...They have a really good writing staff for this show. I was laughing when Chang wanted Abed to continue massage the 3rd charcoal for 10 more seconds. Haha.

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Not a fan of this...

It's cool that they did this but I never want them to do this again. 
ohwell.gif
 This episode was awful, imo.
edit:

From Sepinwall:

"Anthropology 101": Fairly traditional episode, resolving season one cliffhanger about Annie/Jeff/Britta triangle, establishing the study group's new class and dealing with overall tensions within the group. 

"Accounting for Lawyers": Jeff Winger origin story, taking the show onto unfamiliar physical turf but still with familiar weirdness (the hole in Drew Carey's hand, Annie chloroforming the guard, pop-and-lock tournament). 

"The Psychology of Letting Go": Circle of life episode, dealing with birth (an entire Easter egg-style Abed subplot playing out in the background of other scenes), death (Pierce's mom) and sex appeal. 

"Basic Rocket Science": All-reference, all-the-time, ala the paintball episode from season one, this time with astronaut movies. 

"Messianic Myths and Ancient Peoples": A mix of meta (Abed's movie about making movies), character-based comedy (Pierce and Shirley each feeling left out of the crowd) and cultural/religious parody. 

"Epidemiology": Another 100% pop culture episode, this time with zombies. 

"Aerodynamics of Gender": Mix of an Abed character story (albeit one with references of its own) and the deliberately goofy, random trampoline story. 

"Cooperative Calligraphy": Character-driven bottle show with a bare minimum of meta and/or reference humor. 

"Conspiracy Theories and Interior Design": Another parody-style episode, this time riffing on conspiracy thrillers. 

"Mixology Certification": Dark, kitchen sink-style realistic comedy, ala "Taxi." 

"Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas": Stop-motion animated episode that's at once an homage to TV Christmas specials and a fairly intense, moving Abed character study. 

episode was ok.  i like that they did something different.  i wasn't amazed by it though.
the part about abed's mom was such a downer.  i like how they always mix in a few serious topics, gives you some variety unlike other comedies.

I liked it, certainly not my favorite of the season simply because it doesn't have replay value and wasn't as funny... but important for Abed and a different take on the standard Christmas special.

started watching this show a week ago, and its nonstop comedy. Really liking it a lot, especially the paintball episode. didn't like the claymation episode too much though.

Whaaat?? Y'all are trippin, this episode was probably the second best ever of the series, up their with the paintball episode. The plot, the characterization... the writing on this show is phenomemnal.

I'm not really feeling this season of community. Used to be one of my favorite shows, but The Office and Modern family are easily the best comedies on television right now. This show has seemed to lost its humor to me. Abed and Troy are the only reason I still watch this show.

[font=Georgia, Garamond, Times, 'Times New Roman', serif]
[h1] [/h1]
[h2]The Year in TV[/h2][h3][/h3]
[table][tr][td]
culture101213_tv_560.jpg

[/td][/tr][tr][td]
A scene from Community's upcoming episode, "Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas."  
(Photo: Courtesy of NBC)
[/td][/tr][/table]
I t’s conventional wisdom that the antenna of a TV top ten—the selection that gets the fat print and the pretty illustration—should be a drama. It must be cinematic; it must be dark. It should almost certainly be on cable, probably with someone named David in the show-runner slot. So when I choose the network sitcom Community as No. 1, I’m not saying it doesn’t have serious competition: I couldn’t even fit Sons of Anarchy or Men of a Certain Age onto this list, each of which, were I in a different mood today, might rise right to the top. Cable still hosts the most ambitious television experiments, providing a place where oddball art can find a niche audience (and one that buys DVDs).

topten-sidebar.png

1. Community NBC
2. Mad Men AMC
3. Terriers FX
4. 30 Rock NBC
5. In Treatment HBO
6. Louie FX
7. The Good Wife CBS
8. United States of Tara Showtime 
9. Boardwalk Empire HBO
10. Treme HBO

And yet it’s worth pointing out that smack in the middle of network, there it is: this auteurist sitcom, slamming it out of the park each week of its second season. Half-hour comedies are as potent an art form as one-hour dramas, and at the moment, the schedule is studded with great ones (Parks and Recreation,Eastbound & DownModern Family, Raising Hope, Bored to Death, Childrens Hospital, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and The Middle). Community is theoretically set at a community college, but it uses that conceit the way The Simpsons uses Springfield, as a jumping-off point for just about anything. The show explodes TV conventions while working within them, like the boldest meta-TV from Monty Python’s Flying Circus through 30 Rock. And it’s consistently hilarious, in large part because creator Dan Harmon has such a strong, icy grip on his characters and his idiosyncratic ideas about what’s funny. This season, Communitypulled off an action-packed (and sexy) Halloween zombie episode, a self-referential riff on Charlie Kaufman–style self-referentiality, and the single best spiritual trampoline sequence ever. In a competitive environment for comedy, Community is this moment’s top dog.

Which puts Matthew Weiner’s dark-auteurist-adult Mad Men at No. 2. The show’s fourth season, set in the aftermath of the Draper divorce, was punctuated by sad Sally Draper breakdowns and ended in an out-of-the-blue marriage proposal. Among many great episodes, “The Suitcase
[/font]

Community takes some risks that other comedy shows don't take. I agree that Modern Family is the best but they have a good formula that people want to see. Community pushes the boundaries a bit and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, which is what turns off casual fans who want Modern Family-type of comedy.

I'd like for them to go back to basing most episodes around the school and their normal day. Seems like every week this season has been a fantasy-type/parody episode, while season 1 only had a few of those and that's why they stood out. Also missing the Spanish class/Senor Chang weekly routine from season 1. I thought Anthropology would be the new Spanish and Betty White would be the new Chang but she was only in it for 1 guest appearance 
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom