NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Originally Posted by GrizztheBoss

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

if rasheed goes to orlando....their line up on paper 2 me is
eek.gif

-Howard
-Sheed
-Lewis
-Vince
-Nelson

Damn orlando has potential to be the #1 team in the east if cavs make no moves

Rumor has it is the Spurs are pushing hard to acquire Rasheed. If that happens, the Spurs will be the favorite to win the title with TP, Manu, RJ, TD andSheed
eek.gif

Originally Posted by Fundamental21Ticket

eek.gif

-Howard
-Sheed
-Lewis
-Vince
-Nelson

Rumor has it is the Spurs are pushing hard to acquire Rasheed. If that happens, the Spurs will be the favorite to win the title with TP, Manu, RJ, TD and Sheed
eek.gif

eek.gif
make it happen SAS

on sportscenter i forgot who it was said boston,spurs and Magic are making a push for sheed with boston pushing the hardest right now

If the Spurs or Magic get Sheed......WOW....

I kinda wish the Warriors would go after him but I know Sheed probably wants to try to get another ring. I easily see San Antonio coming out of the west ifthat happens....same with Orlando coming out of the east....

Or Artest + Sheed

So basically Sheed is settling for the MLE? I thought I read he wanted to make 8M or something or he was retiring. None of these teams can really offer himanything more then the MLE

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Sjack and Sheed on the same team?
eek.gif
roll.gif
that mess would be comedy
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
for real....I'm not saying it would work out, but I'd still like to see it. Don Nelson always needs a PF/C capable of hitting the 3, esp. aveteran like Sheed but it's highly unlikely because Sheed wants another ring. I want to see him in San Antonio, they will make one last push for anotherchampionship.

50 mil/5 years for turkey jordan
[h2]Blazers make play for Turkoglu[/h2]
Posted on: July 1, 2009 1:18 am

Edited on: July 1, 2009 3:04 am

Score: 166

Log-in to rate:

• Log-in to rate:
  • Log-in to rate:

Determined to make the first splash of the NBA's free-agent negotiating period early Wednesday, the Portland Trail Blazers are making a strong push to sign Hedo Turkoglu, the prized free agent of the summer.

While negotiations across the league were in the early stages, a person with knowledge of the discussions said the Blazers are trying to lure Turkoglu with a deal in the $50-million range. Contracts cannot be signed until July 7, when the annual moratorium on signing and trading players is lifted.

Other teams expected to make a play for Turkoglu, who earned a huge pay day by helping Orlando get to the NBA Finals, were Toronto, Detroit, and Sacramento. The Magic, who acquired Vince Carter from the Nets on the belief that they could not retain Turkoglu, are not expected to be a factor in a situation that involves Turkoglu getting $10 million a year.

UPDATE: Turkoglu's agent, Lon Babby, told the Oregonian that the Blazers were the first team to call. "They were enthusiastic and well received by us," Babby said. "We are engaged in the process. We will see where it takes us in the next couple of days and take it from there."

GM Kevin Pritchard and assistant GM Tom Penn first called Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge, who are seeking extensions from the team, the Oregonian reported. In order to clear cap space for Turkoglu, the Blazers likely would have to renounced their rights to both Joel Freeland and Petteri Koponen, both playing overseas.

Hedo is a good look in Portland. They need a seasoned Vet like him. BUT I still think $10mill/year for Turk is still too much. He did great in theplayoffs/finals but he maybe has 2-3 great years left in him, if that. So a 5yr/$50mill contract (or whatever it is) might be a lil much.

you keep bringing up the 03 team and this is 09 !#@%+*% the west is better now then it was back then and THAT TEAM is better then the crap you have now

it seems like your getting butt hurt cause everyone think OKC has a brighter future then Memphis does

Blah, blah, blah.

I bet you were the same person who said that the team sucked and was going to be a 20-win team back then as well. The fact that you still have opinions onplayers from the team back when the season first started and didn't recognize improvement just shows how you underrate them. I'm use to it though, notmany people thought the Grizz would make the playoffs during the 3 seasons they actually made it so I expect to be no different this time around.

I do think OKC has a bright future, but I wouldn't go as far as brighter. People acting like they're the next dynasty or something.
laugh.gif

That 5years/50 mil will hurt Portland later down the line. Yes, he brings leadership but if they come close to championship contention the 2-3 good years hehas left in him then that salary will be stuck with them.

More Randolph to Memphis news...

Would the Clippers would match a significant offer for Novak's services? That probably depends on what they get back/have to swallow in any deal they make with one of the frontcourt guys. According to sources, negotiations with Memphis could pick up again soon. The Grizzlies still need a scoring big man, and they're now carrying Quentin Richardson's $9.35M contract, along with the other superfluous pieces on their roster (Greg Buckner and Marko Jaric, both expiring in 2011). In most cases, a team can't trade a guy for two months after they acquire him in a deal, but since Memphis is under the cap, they're exempt from this rule in Richardson's case.
The good news is that he's coming to the end of his current contract, so he has a reason to be an upright citizen, and we can cast him offrelatively quickly.

If it allows us to send Marco and all we need to throw in is Buckner, do it.

I'd rather see them go after other targets, but if my choices are Randolph and Lee and we can't get a decent contract with Lee, Randolph makes a nicestopgap while we're growing in competitiveness.

Interesting info from a Memphis blogger:

So you are saying that Z-Bo (one of the youngest players in Portland at the time) was the reason why Bonzi, Sheed, Damon, etc all were called the Trailgngstas?

Or are you saying that Randolph was the reason that the Knicks melted down under Isiah, in other words he made him sexually harass the Knick executive, made Marbury go nuts, and caused Eddy Curry to come into camp 40-50 pounds over weight?

Or maybe it was Randolph who caused Baron Davis to care more about Hollywood than being in shape, caused Chris Kaman to milk an injury and Mike Dunleavy to to be an idiot in general?

Find me the stable situation he destabilized. Heck, find me the team in which he was the biggest knuckle head.

I am not saying I want ZBo now, I am just saying don't him too much power.

There really isn't a stable situation he destabilized. I don't really want him still, but he is more talented than any PF option out there right now. Only giving up Buckner and Jaric wouldn't be that bad for a two-year rental. With other players on the team being able to defend, he should be ok.

Whomever Memphis picks up this off-season, they aren't going to be their long-term answer at PF unless they make a trade for a high-caliber player.That's why I think they're looking to sign Lee or Millsap to only a 3-year deal much rather than locking them up for 5 years. If Randolph can come for2 years, wouldn't be a bad thing.

Mavs Prepared To Offer Kidd $8M Per Year

Jul 01, 2009 9:50 AM EST

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban planned to meet with Jason Kidd at midnight on Tuesday in New York City.

The New York Daily News wrote early Wednesday that "the Mavs will offer Kidd a contract starting at $8 million per over two years with an option for athird."

The Knicks are interested in Kidd as well, but can only offer him the $5.8 million mid-level exception unless they negotiate a sign-and-trade with Dallas.

Via New York Daily News

Dallas Mavericks, New York Knicks

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trail Blazers Make Call To Turkoglu
Jul 01, 2009 7:14 AM EST

Trail Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard called agent Lon Babby about Hedo Turkoglu once free agency opened late Tuesday night.

"Kevin Pritchard and [assistant general manager] Tom Penn called me at the earliest possible moment and expressed enthusiasm for engaging in discussionsabout Hedo becoming a Trail Blazer," Babby told the Oregonian. "We have begun that process."

Pritchard said that he talked with Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge about contract extensions prior to inquiring about Turkoglu.

Portland has roughly $8 million in cap room.

Via Oregonian

Portland Trail Blazers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Detroit Fires Michael Curry
Jun 30, 2009 1:43 PM EST

The Detroit Pistons fired Michael Curry as head coach on Tuesday.

Doug Collins is believed to be a leading candidate for the job, according to a source.

Collins coached Joe Dumars with the Pistons from 1995-97, and has been out of coaching since the Washington Wizards fired him in 2003.

Avery Johnson is also said to be high on the candidate list.

Bill Laimbeer has been mentioned by some as a candidate, but Yahoo! refutes the possibility flatly.

Via Yahoo!

Detroit Pistons

Gordon, Villanueva Land In Detroit
Jul 01, 2009 10:05 AM EST

Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva flew to Detroit on Wednesday morning for a meeting with Pistons president Joe Dumars.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that the pair are "moving rapidly toward deals" with the club.

Gordon is a restricted free agent, which means the Bulls can match any offer he receives, while Villanueva is unrestricted.

Via Yahoo! Sports

Detroit Pistons

Source: Knicks Will Offer Lee $32M Over Four Years
Jul 01, 2009 9:54 AM EST

A team source told the New York Daily News that the Knicks will offer David Lee a four-year deal worth $32 million.

Lee, a restricted free agent, is believed to be seeking $10 million per year.

The Knicks want to retain Lee, but are also trying to preserve financial flexibility for the summer of 2010.

"There's no question he'd love to stay in New York," agent Mark Bartelstein said Tuesday. "But you are only a free agent so many timesin our career, especially in the prime of your career."

Via New York Daily News

New York Knicks

Marbury: Stars Shouldn't Sign With Knicks
Jul 01, 2009 9:26 AM EST

Stephon Marbury is advising stars not to sign with the Knicks.

Marbury cited the way the organization treats people and his belief that teams can't win championships playing a style like the one coach Mike D'Antoniemploys.

"I wouldn't want to play in that system," Marbury told The New York Post. "That system can't win championships. You can't winchampionships if you don't talk about defense. In Boston, the coaches even play defense."

Marbury added that being exiled from the team for four months before he finally received a buyout "mentally damaged" him and effected his Bostonperformance.

Marbury, who still doesn't have an agent, hopes to re-sign with Boston.

"Mentally, what I had to deal with, the process with D'Antoni, the president (Donnie Walsh), it was mindboggling," Marbury added. "Twopeople can't make a decision and they have to go above them to Mr. Dolan.

Mentally I was damaged and didn't even realize it.

"Going back next year, I'll be free. When you're weathering the storm, you're not thinking how bad the storm is. You're just holding on,trying to get through the finish."

Via New York Post

New York Knicks

Report: Kobe Could Sign $85M Extension
Jul 01, 2009 8:06 AM EST

Kobe Bryant decided not to exercise the early termination option in his contract on Tuesday, and will make $23 million with the Lakers in 2009-10.

Bryant can still sign an extension with Los Angeles, and the Press-Enterprise wrote on Tuesday night that he could get a new three-year, $85 million deal laterthis summer.

Via Press-Enterprise

Los Angeles Lakers

Spurs, Suns Trying To Make Room For Odom
Jul 01, 2009 8:01 AM EST

The Lakers contacted Lamar Odom on Tuesday night about remaining with the champions, and a number of other clubs are interested in the forward.

The Spurs and Suns are interested in Odom, and have been looking to clear room in order to sign him.

Odom is believed to be seeking a four-year deal worth about $10 million annually.

There are just a handful of clubs - Detroit, Oklahoma City, Memphis, Atlanta, Toronto, Portland and maybe Sacramento - that have enough cap room to sign Odom.

"There are not a lot of teams," Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said. "There's a couple, but it only takes one team to make anoffer."

Via Los Angeles Times

San Antonio Spurs, Phoenix Suns, Los Angeles Lakers

Bobcats To Entertain Idea Of Signing Iverson
Jul 01, 2009 7:52 AM EST

The Bobcats are losing money and have trouble selling tickets, but signing Allen Iverson could rectify both problems.

Agent Leon Rose declined to further comment on Tuesday, but admitted that he expected to talk with Charlotte when free agency began on Wednesday.

Iverson would likely have to accept a lesser role, something he wouldn't do in Detroit, and the Bobcats have to be aware of their financial situation.

Majority owner Bob Johnson, who is looking to sell the club, wants the front office to avoid the luxury tax.

"I don't think it's fair for us to get anywhere close to the luxury tax numbers," general manager Rod Higgins said. "We're justtrying to get to the playoffs. We're not there yet, so it's going to be hard pressed for us to go to ownership and say we want to go to the taxlevel."

Via NBA.com

Charlotte Bobcats

Pacers Won't Deviate From Rebuilding Plan
Jul 01, 2009 7:44 AM EST

The Pacers have about $8 million to spend in free agency this summer, and are looking to re-sign both Jarrett Jack and Josh McRoberts.

Indiana president Larry Bird says that the team is in the second year of a three-year rebuilding plan and that he and general manager David Morway have nointention of deviating.

"We're going to get down below that and we're going to build with a young core group," Bird said. "Then we won't have any complaintsto go forward with."

The Pacers made qualifying offers to both Jack and McRoberts on Tuesday, making both restricted free agents.

"Indiana is the first place I want to play," Jack told the Indianapolis Star on Tuesday. "Like I said over and over, the Pacers are the onesthat put me in the position to get a lucrative contract. I would love to come back and play for them for many years to come."

Bird said that the team will look to improve via trades, but none of their core players - Danny Granger, Brandon Rush, Roy Hibbert and Tyler Hansbrough - willbe involved.

"It's a three-year plan and I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize any of these young guys because they are going to be good," Bird said."If I can add to that core through a trade, I probably will."

Via Indianapolis Star

Indiana Pacers

Nate All But Done In New York?
Jul 01, 2009 7:37 AM EST

A Knicks executive said on Tuesday that he would be "shocked" if Nate Robinson remained with the team this summer.

The executive told Andrew Marchand of 1050 ESPN New York of his belief.

The Knicks drafted Toney Douglas last week, a score-first point guard like Robinson. The unnamed executive also pointed out that coach Mike D'Antoniprefers a small rotation, which would have to be stretched if both Douglas and Robinson are going to play.

Via ESPN

New York Knicks

happy.gif
if they go 5 years 50 mil.

Let this happen.
pimp.gif

Sheed in Orlando would win the title right there given no horrible injuries. They would be able to play big, small, slow, fast, offense, defense, they wouldhave no weakness. None.
Not really sure about Sheed in Boston though..........I guess it would work out ok, but I kinda would sense issues. Dunno. Him and KG growling at peoplewould be awesome though.

Spurs, Suns Trying To Make Room For Odom
I hope this happens so the Spurs can completely dominate the West next year.
laugh.gif

And the Knicks only offered Lee 4 years/$32 million? If that's all Memphis has to match, they need to go after him asap.

That Yahoo article is wrong, Gordon is Unrestricted this off-season.

Heck the way Detroit is going, make a trade with the Nets for Boone, try to get Rudy Gay from Memphis, and sign Marcus Williams as a third point and you canhave a UCONN alumni team playing in Detroit. (They did try to get Ray from Boston too.)

Boone
Charlie V
Gay
Rip
Stucky (Lone non UCONN startrer)

Gordon
M Will

Prince would most likely be involved in the Rudy Gay trade.
laugh.gif

- I think Lee and the Knicks would agree to 9m per. If he doesn't stay in NY though, I see him getting his 10 per.

-
laugh.gif
@ Nate. He's less irritating than before. But I'm not sad to see him leave NY.

- I really like what the Pacers are doing.

-
eek.gif
@ Cuban going hard for Kidd. It's sick that Kidd is still commanding that type of guap.

- Turk isn't a good fit in Por imo. They should let the young kids grow up together. What does Turk bring that Roy doesn't already??

-
laugh.gif
Steph really must have been "mentally damaged" by NY if he is STILL holding a grudge.

god please don't bring AI to the bobcats
smh.gif
......bob johnson messed up naming the team after him.....nobody likes that bum

SHUGES wrote:
- Turk isn't a good fit in Por imo. They should let the young kids grow up together. What does Turk bring that Roy doesn't already??

I love the fact that he'll be 35 and still on their cap.
laugh.gif

And they have to re-sign both Roy and LA to their deals, and if Oden ever shows, they have to pay him, and if he doesn't show, then they still won'thave enough, so they stay right where they always are, in the middle of the pack.

If they do pull Hedo AND Andre though, no doubt they will be solid for a year or two.

The thing about Turk is that his game should age well since it is not reliant on athleticism like so many other SFs in the league. 5 years is a lot of timethough, but meh.

In other news,
20090701-mejiqasujc4ix1dnfntbsprj89.jpg

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Fundamental21Ticket

eek.gif

-Howard
-Sheed
-Lewis
-Vince
-Nelson

Rumor has it is the Spurs are pushing hard to acquire Rasheed. If that happens, the Spurs will be the favorite to win the title with TP, Manu, RJ, TD and Sheed
eek.gif
eek.gif

Wow, those are two all-star line ups. I'm scared about Sheed tho. He was one of my favs back in '04 and '05 but I don't think he still has itin him.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

The thing about Turk is that his game should age well since it is not reliant on athleticism like so many other SFs in the league. 5 years is a lot of time though, but meh.

In other news,
20090701-mejiqasujc4ix1dnfntbsprj89.jpg

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
smh.gif

smh.gif

It seems like Heisley really wants Z-Bo for some reason. I believe its because he wants to look like he's spending money and adding talent by acquiringhim when at the end of the day he's only got two years on the deal, so he won't really suffer from it.

Turkoglu in Portland really is a "I guess so" scenario. But, since Portland want to just be the talk of the NBA this off-season by making the signingjust for the hell of it then go ahead. Turkoglu won't put them over the top, so whats the point in signing a 30-year old veteran that will give you thesame thing Roy gives you? They will be in cap hell when they extend Roy and Aldridge. They still need a PG after all of this and they drafted Sergio fornothing, who I believed to be a damn good PG if given the time. It's hard to believe that they will actually go after both Miller and Turk, but they shouldjust try and get Miller only.

Turk is a way better fit than Miller though. Miller will get the team running which is a good thing, but he likes to have the ball in his hands, operate in thepost and can't shoot past 18 feet. It's a bad fit if you ask me. Turkoglu however is a great fit because he would bring another ball handler and bigshot maker. It also allow Jerryd Bayless to play off the ball even more.

Originally Posted by JordanXI45

Hedo is a good look in Portland. They need a seasoned Vet like him. BUT I still think $10mill/year for Turk is still too much. He did great in the playoffs/finals but he maybe has 2-3 great years left in him, if that. So a 5yr/$50mill contract (or whatever it is) might be a lil much.
I think that's about right for Hedo. If Corey Maggette got that much, I don't think that's overpaying Hedo too much.

Back
Top Bottom