MonsterVerse Thread = Godzilla VS Kong : Out Now On HBO MaX & Theaters

Godzilla on its way to a 98 million opening. Not bad when it was projected to be in the 70s. I wonder how this will do in Japan.

I've voiced many displeasures with the movie but their were a lot of things I did like but I may not have touched on. I said the cinematography earlier but I really loved the design of Godzilla in this film. The CGI could've been better but Godzilla's look was very classic but didn't look or feel outdated. He looked really buff :lol: which was kind've dope. And his facial features gave him a lot of personality which was great. He should've been meaner though

I liked the movie a lot. Probably my favorite movie this summer so far, tied with Captain America 2.

There was only one problem I had :
The military was tailing Godzilla since Hawaii but they chose to make their stand at the Golden Gate Bridge. I thought that was stupid.
lol I was watching conan and he said the same thing.... like why does every big explosion movie based in cali has the golden gate bridge being damaged or destroyed..

I liked the movie a lot. Probably my favorite movie this summer so far, tied with Captain America 2.

There was only one problem I had :

The military was tailing Godzilla since Hawaii but they chose to make their stand at the Golden Gate Bridge. I thought that was stupid.

The muto flew off after Godzilla tried to attack at Hawaii. There was nothing they could do to stop it there because it's emp blast renders air attacks useless, actually any attack from the military is pretty useless :lol:, the muto from Nevada was gonna meet up the male anyways and it just happened to converge in Sf

DangerousG, I still don't understand why couldn't they just nuke Godzilla when he was in the middle of the ocean. I'm not talking about any air attacks. The subs were in the water flanking Godzilla the whole trip. It just seems weird that they would make their stand where they did instead of preventing him from making land.

Last edited:
My understanding was they wanted one bomb to kill all three monsters, so they waited till all three converged. Don't get me wrong, It's not a smart plan at all. The military doing dumb **** is a staple of Godzilla films, so i wasn't even that mad :lol:

Last edited:
I think at first they were following Godzilla because they didn't know where the muto went and they figure (or Zerizawa convinced them) than it is where Godzilla was heading, I remember them calculating Godzillas destination in the computer and it led them to the muto so it worked.

Plus they nuked him in the 50s and it didn't work, they were going to use a more a megaton which is 1000 more powerful than the kiloton they used in the 50s and the radius is going to be much bigger too.

So when they found the muto, Godzilla was probably too close to the city to use the megaton nuke so they decided to lure all 3 in the sea farther out to nuke them all.

Last edited:
OK, so I'm reading Godzilla:Awakening, penned by Max Borenstein, the same person who wrote the screenplay for the movie - and the comic talks more about Godzilla's origins than the movie itself.

Apparently Godzilla and the parasites predate the dinosaurs. Earth was a radioactive planet, and when the big asteroid hit, it not only eliminated all the dinosaurs but it eliminated all sources of radiation as well. Godzilla and the parasites were forced to seek radiation near the Earth's core and that's where they stayed all this time.

Then when Hiroshima happened, it drew the animals to the surface. And that's why no one had any documentation of the creatures before the 1950s.

Interesting backstory.

Last edited:
OK, so I'm reading Godzilla:Awakening, penned by Max Borenstein, the same person who wrote the screenplay for the movie - and the comic talks more about Godzilla's origins than the movie itself.

Apparently Godzilla and the parasites predate the dinosaurs. Earth was a radioactive planet, and when the big asteroid hit, it not only eliminated all the dinosaurs but it eliminated all sources of radiation as well. Godzilla and the parasites were forced to seek radiation near the Earth's core and that's where they stayed all this time.

Then when Hiroshima happened, it drew the animals to the surface. And that's why no one had any documentation of the creatures before the 1950s.

Interesting backstory.

Some of this is explained in the movie very briefly. Its the scene when Ken Watanabe says... "We call him.... Godzilla."

Yea, they only talk briefly about his backstory in the movie. I guess they wanted to keep the action going.

Yea, the companion book was cool.

I'm hoping this movie will be green lit for a sequel. It's in the audience's hands now.

I can see a sequel with him messing things waaaay up then humans making... MechGodzilla for the 3rd movie

Idk I hope they don't go the mechgodzilla route, will draw comparisons to Pacific Rim, transformers. I like the monster in the companion book, maybe they can go with that.

Maybe... We'll see. I just hop there's more fighting OR make the human element a tad bit interesting.

Bryan Cranston did the best job and it wasn't even close. If everybody matched his performance - or came close to it - the human element would've been great.

I wouldn't mind starting a sequel with a whole new cast - except maybe keep Elizabeth Olsen - me likey.

Last edited:
Bryan Cranston did the best job and it wasn't even close. If everybody matched his performance - or came close to it - the human element would've been great.

I wouldn't mind starting a sequel with a whole new cast - except maybe keep Elizabeth Olsen - me likey.
Well of course he did the best job, his character had to be the best because he played a seemingly crazy guy.

The fake Channing Tatum dude had to play the poised soldier, which I think he played well enough.

I don't buy the 'he did the best because he had the best role' excuse. That same thing can be said about any top performance of anyone ever lol.

Last edited:
I know a few people touched upon this earlier, but I got goosebumps when Watanabe said "We call him...Gojira." :wow: I can also see why people would laugh at that line. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom