MonsterVerse Thread = Godzilla VS Kong : Out Now On HBO MaX & Theaters

I agree with the people who are complaining about Godzilla being the good guy and not creating enough chaos

Also, this might be me just nitpicking but there were way too many ridiculous scenes where the main character soldier survived unharmed

It's almost like Aaron Taylor-Johnson's character was meant to represent a human version of Godzilla, saving people and such (if he wanted to go home so bad, why didn't he just take his *** home instead of trying to save any and everyone :smh: )

The part where him and Godzilla passed out and made eye contact mad me cringe too hard :smh: :lol:

The world was shook, it just so happens that the shock came along with the mutos. In the end they saw dude was fighting the bigger threat so they were more lenient.

The scientists and to an extent the army knew about Godzilla and Serizawas been preaching that Godzilla was good and you can see the general was buying into it.

In the news coverage they showed, the little that they showed, clearly showed alarm. I mean Olsen pretty much represented what people felt and saw with Godzilla/mutos, just pure distress and panic. They couldn't show the whole world in awe of Godzilla, the movie had that disaster movie feel.

I mean there was that poster in the little kids room in the beginnig of what looked like zilla and muto.

I just found the captain of the USS whatever to be too lax when told by the scientist that zilla would fight the mutos. They dont know Godzilla's intentions, they are just going to believe the scientist? 

Anyways, thats nitpicking. 

That poster was an easter egg to the old colorful Godzilla posters but it's really just an old Japanese movie or show, I don't think that means the people weren't shook because they were expecting it. I really do not see the big deal with that.

Just like if Godzilla or a giant monster appears right now, Godzilla, kaijus, mutos, etc... has been in movies, or if there is an actual zombie outbreak, it's been in movies and tv shows, not sure how that affects anything in anyway in terms of shock value in the film.

You also got to remember that they focused on one branch of the military, the one that took of project Monarch. Who knows what the other countries plans were?

I didn't find the general lax, he was standing by his decision with the nuke appetizers in the middle of the sea, he put his foot down unless Serizawa had a different suggestion and when he said to let them fight, the general even said he can't take the risk of Godzilla fighting the mutos because he was uncertain of Godzillas motives. His plan was to nuke all of them in the sea after luring them there. Remember Serizawa even said it didn't work before but the other dude said the nukes were more powerful this time? The plan just failed and it became a Godzilla vs muto in the end anyways but he didn't really listen to Serizawa, he just consulted him but didn't really do as he says. I mean as a general he can't really be panicking and running around like a chicken with his head cut off, it wasn't out of the norm. Again these dudes were already aware of project Monarch so it's not going to surprise them that giant monsters are loose in the world.

I agree with the people who are complaining about Godzilla being the good guy and not creating enough chaos

Also, this might be me just nitpicking but there were way too many ridiculous scenes where the main character soldier survived unharmed

It's almost like Aaron Taylor-Johnson's character was meant to represent a human version of Godzilla, saving people and such (if he wanted to go home so bad, why didn't he just take his *** home instead of trying to save any and everyone :smh: )

The part where him and Godzilla passed out and made eye contact mad me cringe too hard :smh: :lol:

Did you watch the movie? Dude tried everything to get home. His ride got stopped when in Hawaii when the muto attacked. His train ride got hijacked by the muto when it was on the way to San Francisco. What did you want him to do, ride the muto home? He was the only one who could deactivate the bomb in the end so he did what was best for everyone plus his wife would be dead too if that bomb detonated so in essence he was saving her and his kid too (who he thought was with the mom).

Says who? Godzilla has fought with humans though he doesn't really like them, well more like he just doesn't care. He has also fought with humans, there have been 30+ Godzilla films and not all of them has Godzilla giving humans the atomic breath because they don't recycle. :lol:

Plus this is a different interpretation just like the numerous other Godzilla films that has change his characteristics to suit the need of the story. He has been interpreted differently many times, this isn't the XMen where Cyclops powers has to come out of his eyes, Godzillas been on both ends of the spectrum of evil to good.

The humans were actively trying to kill Godzilla throughout the entire movie (bombing it back in the 50s, shooting it with their missiles and worthless guns), there was no reason that it should have been so "nice" and even going as far as trying to protect them.

The director has been on record saying Godzilla would be an anti-hero in this movie, but did you see any trace of that?

Overall, I was a little disappointed with the interpretation of the monsters in this movie. Instead of the monsters being a consequence of human's actions, they were just sort of always there and humans in the movie were all just bystanders. This made it into a regular disaster movie when it could have been so much more.

The teases in the movie got really annoying for me. I understand they wanted to build and build and save everything for the end, but they way did it with it cutting out before the first punch landed was not cool :lol: :smh:

I mean how many times did we need to see this same shot of the MUTOs leg over and over again

View media item 976281

Definitely noticed that :rofl:

Ford got out of at least 3 or 4 disasters where everyone else pretty much died

And did anyone else think that Godzilla was gonna eat the nuclear bomb at the end? I thought he was gonna go do it and that would be what was gonna power his atomic breath.

Last edited:
He was an anti-hero in a sense that Godzilla didn't really are about destruction? He just protected the innocent but in the end the director could have just meant to make it seem like he was protecting the people on the bridge, there really wasn't any other indication that it was his intention. Dude just messed up the city as long as he could kill the mutos. I mean we are assuming Godzilla is highly intelligent but maybe he is just going by instincts and didn't really bothered to kill humans because they were no threat? The Nuke in the 50s didn't seem to do anything at all and as you said those puny guns were useless.

But again their interpretation is that he is just there to be the predator to the prey, to kill the mutos. Even the original, his main purpose was to just survive bu absorbing radiation, he wasn't really always against humans and represented what humans did to nature. Again his motivation has changed depending on the film, it doesn't always have to be straight forward and the same. He did hate humans but he has fought with them in numerous occasions.

In the end you can just say the mutos were the consequence to humans treatment of nature and their weapons became the mutos weapons/food? Godzilla can be considered mother nature who in the end still protects the humans even if they treated her wrong? There are plenty of interpretation you can come up with if you think hard enough.

He was an anti-hero in a sense that Godzilla didn't really are about destruction? He just protected the innocent but in the end the director could have just meant to make it seem like he was protecting the people on the bridge, there really wasn't any other indication that it was his intention. Dude just messed up the city as long as could get at the mutos.

That's just grasping at straws haha. Godzilla was the size of a skyscraper, it wasn't like he could have avoided the buildings if he wanted to...pull a goku and fly off to the nearest rock quarry to fight :lol: if were gonna call Godzilla an anti-hero for that, then what does that make Superman for leveling half of Smallvile and Metropolis in MoS :lol:

Last edited:
He was an anti-hero in a sense that Godzilla didn't really are about destruction? He just protected the innocent but in the end the director could have just meant to make it seem like he was protecting the people on the bridge, there really wasn't any other indication that it was his intention. Dude just messed up the city as long as could get at the mutos.

That's just grasping at straws haha. Godzilla was the size of a skyscraper, it wasn't like he could have avoided the buildings if he wanted to...pull a goku and fly off to the nearest rock quarry to fight :lol: if were gonna call Godzilla an anti-hero for that, then what does that make Superman for leveling half of Smallvile and Metropolis in MoS :lol:

An *******

If i remember Godzilla busted the golden gate bridge so i think he was just out to kill motu and didnt care about humans. The cables that got in the bus drivers way were there because Godzilla busted them.

Did you watch the movie? Dude tried everything to get home. His ride got stopped when in Hawaii when the muto attacked. His train ride got hijacked by the muto when it was on the way to San Francisco. What did you want him to do, ride the muto home? He was the only one who could deactivate the bomb in the end so he did what was best for everyone plus his wife would be dead too if that bomb detonated so in essence he was saving her and his kid too (who he thought was with the mom).

I saw the movie Thursday night and didn't like it, thought I mentioned that a couple thousand times >D

Regardless his sense of urgency to get home just didn't feel right. It was like dude kept getting entangled in some Bullcrap whether it's trying to get the little boy back to his parents or strapping up a parachute to try and help the special forces or whoever deal with the Muto. I understand him being a noble soldier BUT MONSTERS ARE FIGHTING IN THE MIDDLE OF SAN FRANCISCO! If there was anytime to be selfish that was the time, which leads back to lack catastrophic danger in the film. There were some scenes where people conveyed emotion but it seemed like people in the world of the film were used to this type of thing on some Marvel's New York City type deal. If there were really monsters attacking I want to see some type of pandemonium. I want to see people screaming and crying and showing real fear and disaster. One scene that stood out to me was Aaron-Taylor Johnson's character calling Liz Olsen and she's just nonchalant and says "I can't believe this is happening" :stoneface:

Where is the panic in her voice? She seemed more afraid that her husband wouldn't come home then the fact that the dragonzord just rose from the ocean and the world is ending :smh:

The only person who showed real panic was Cranston, and everyone thought he was crazy

Last edited:
I saw the movie Thursday night and didn't like it, thought I mentioned that a couple thousand times

Question was sarcastic because you didn't seem to get that dude was trying to get home. Dudes acting was just not that great and he was one of my complaints in my review, dude could act but wasn't utilized. But your statement that dude wasn't trying to get home was just wrong. And yeah ok deactivating the bomb that would have killed her and million other is bull**** to you. :lol: Well if you don't grasp why that is top priority then what else can someone say? If he tried to get back to his wife instead then the bomb explodes and their both dead anyways.

And you see how much complaint that got? I mean in the end Superman did care but it's not like Zod would follow Superman if he leaves to the desert, Zod practically said I'll kill all of them and dude was being tossed in buildings. But that's a whole new discussion and I digress.

Or maybe the director just didn't know what an anti-hero is? I mean this is how google defines anti-hero: a central character in a story, movie, or drama who lacks conventional heroic attributes. Godzilla sounds like he fits the bill. Just being a giant monster that helps makes him an anti-hero just because a heroic attribute isn't rally always give you a picture of a giant monster.

has there ever been a movie that people just liked? every movie that comes out has a critic it seems

I don't think there is or ever will be a movie where everyone can agree is perfect.

I got chills when Godzilla unleashed that atomic breath for the first time. :pimp:

very entertaining movie. I RARELY go to the movie theaters but this one was a must and def worth it. 

Almost shed tears of joy when I saw the scales from his tail light up
View media item 976405
I really liked the movie. Kept me entertained. Yes, it's not a perfect movie, but this is the best Godzilla movie IMO. I used to watch the Japanese - American dubbed films as a kid. 1998 disappoints me still to this day :smh:

Mothra easter egg :nerd:? I wouldn't mind seeing a King Ghidorah either.

Question was sarcastic because you didn't seem to get that dude was trying to get home. Dudes acting was just not that great and he was one of my complaints in my review, dude could act but wasn't utilized. But your statement that dude wasn't trying to get home was just wrong. And yeah ok deactivating the bomb that would have killed her and million other is bull**** to you. :lol: Well if you don't grasp why that is top priority then what else can someone say? If he tried to get back to his wife instead then the bomb explodes and their both dead anyways.

The world was practically ending. I would've rather him get home to his family first then play hero but whatevs...

The thing is this movie had a lot of potential that went to waste BUT it did have its good moments. Some like it, some don't but I think we can all agree that this is a far better effort than Godzilla '98. They have sequels to get it right...knowing Hollywood, their will be sequels

Last edited:
World wasn't ending. :lol: Obviously they tried everything to survive. Again dude playing "hero" by joining the army was to save his family, why is that hard to get? If he didn't go they'd all be dead. So if that was you you'd go to your family instead and guarantee you and your families deaths along with million others and just let that bomb explode? That's your choice?

Back in Hawaii, if you were in his shoes, even if you don't bother consoling the little kid, what could you have done to get home quicker inside that rail that was heading to the airport? That rail was the fastest way tot he airport.

With the train, dude begged to get on and they won't let him ride, he had to admit he was an expert in bombs to get on and they still no. It wasn't until he admitted his family was in San Francisco that they let him get a ride. So what would you have done differently? There were no buses or taxis going to the city because the mutos were going there or already there. Your only ride was the train which was derailed by the mutos.

World wasn't ending. :lol: Obviously they tried everything to survive. Again dude playing "hero" by joining the army was to save his family, why is that hard to get? If he didn't go they'd all be dead. So if that was you you'd go to your family instead and guarantee you and your families deaths along with million others and just let that bomb explode? That's your choice?

Back in Hawaii, if you were in his shoes, even if you don't bother consoling the little kid, what could you have done to get home quicker inside that rail that was heading to the airport? That rail was the fastest way tot he airport.

With the train, dude begged to get on and they won't let him ride, he had to admit he was an expert in bombs to get on and they still no. It wasn't until he admitted his family was in San Francisco that they let him get a ride. So what would you have done differently? There were no buses or taxis going to the city because the mutos were going there or already there. Your only ride was the train which was derailed by the mutos.

The world wasn't ending? Because 300 foot monsters that fly and breathe blue fire are the norm. I just didn't feel his urgency to get home. Maybe it was Taylor-Johnson's acting in it but I just didn't FEEL it. The movie needed more tears and more screams of fear from people, just admit it.

Nah, the movie didn't give you a feeling of the world ending.

The scientist knew it Godzilla was there to fight it. He had faith.

The army were ready to nuke the mutos, last resort would be to nuke the city and kill millions but save billions. Hell the whole world nuking San Fran to kill the mutos would be the last stand.

Even though one of the muto traveled from Philippines to Japan to the US, the even still felt confined and the whole world wasn't really involved. It's a big disaster event but not the end of the world.

End of the world would be like in the movie 2012 where you really can't do anything or ithe rupture in This is the End.

Last edited:
Saw it for the second time today and enjoyed it still. Was on the lookout for that Easter egg in the beginning of the film and caught it. I was worried about replay value when seeing the monsters fight but I still got goosebumps during both atomic breathe sequences.

I liked the movie a lot. Probably my favorite movie this summer so far, tied with Captain America 2.

There was only one problem I had :

The military was tailing Godzilla since Hawaii but they chose to make their stand at the Golden Gate Bridge. I thought that was stupid.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom