Money Deposited in my Bank Account that isn't mine, what should I do??

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

Originally Posted by TRUL1FE

A friend just told me "GM deposit" stands for Green Machine Deposit which is a check. So that means someone sent me a check accidentally, so suppose to person doesn't claim the check they accidentally sent me, should I report it to the bank or keep it??? 
EDIT: A friend just told me "GM deposit" stands for Green Machine Deposit which is a check. So that means someone sent me a check accidentally, so suppose to person doesn't claim the check they accidentally sent me, should I report it to the bank or keep it??? 
can't you log into your bank account online and see the check?
I can do that with my bank of America acct

I can see checks, deposit slips and such.

maybe you know the person? 
nerd.gif
It doesn't say who it's from it jus says GM Deposit.

Originally Posted by swizzc

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by CHRISblazinNJ

Agreed. But how's it stealing if it's in HIS bank account. �

Because he knows he has accidentally acquired those funds due to a MISTAKE. How isn't it stealing. The money is not his. It being in his account has nothing to do with the situation. He knows the money is not his.
steal �(st
emacr.gif
l)
v. stole (st
omacr.gif
l), sto·len (st
omacr.gif
prime.gif
l
schwa.gif
n), steal·ing, steals
v.tr.
1. To take (the property of another) without right or permission.

He did not TAKE the money. It was given to him by mistake. One could easily argue that once that money hits your account, you have permission to spend it. It's YOUR account.
you CAN argue that. But you'd be wrong.

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

A friend just told me "GM deposit" stands for Green Machine Deposit which is a check. So that means someone sent me a check accidentally, so suppose to person doesn't claim the check they accidentally sent me, should I report it to the bank or keep it??? 
EDIT: A friend just told me "GM deposit" stands for Green Machine Deposit which is a check. So that means someone sent me a check accidentally, so suppose to person doesn't claim the check they accidentally sent me, should I report it to the bank or keep it??? 
can't you log into your bank account online and see the check?
I can do that with my bank of America acct

I can see checks, deposit slips and such.

maybe you know the person? 
nerd.gif
It doesn't say who it's from it jus says GM Deposit.

Originally Posted by CHRISblazinNJ

Agreed. But how's it stealing if it's in HIS bank account. �

Because he knows he has accidentally acquired those funds due to a MISTAKE. How isn't it stealing. The money is not his. It being in his account has nothing to do with the situation. He knows the money is not his.
steal �(st
emacr.gif
l)
v. stole (st
omacr.gif
l), sto·len (st
omacr.gif
prime.gif
l
schwa.gif
n), steal·ing, steals
v.tr.
1. To take (the property of another) without right or permission.

He did not TAKE the money. It was given to him by mistake. One could easily argue that once that money hits your account, you have permission to spend it. It's YOUR account.
you CAN argue that. But you'd be wrong.

@SwizzC - You are stuck on the physical idea of stealing (taking). Him using money that was accidentally deposited in his account is stealing. I am not seeing why this is a hard concept to understand.

Dude, do not spend a DIME of that money. Honestly, call the bank tomorrow and tell them what happened. Stop listening to these Niketalk Dudes. The money is not yours. Point blank. Do not touch the money. Not $300, not $3. Not any of it. The money is not yours.

@SwizzC - You are stuck on the physical idea of stealing (taking). Him using money that was accidentally deposited in his account is stealing. I am not seeing why this is a hard concept to understand.

Dude, do not spend a DIME of that money. Honestly, call the bank tomorrow and tell them what happened. Stop listening to these Niketalk Dudes. The money is not yours. Point blank. Do not touch the money. Not $300, not $3. Not any of it. The money is not yours.

Thank you again sir
Disappointed at some of you NT'ers, I thought we was family 
james-van-der-beek-crying.gif

Thank you again sir

No, I am focused on the idea of blame for the action. If I buy a caron of milk for $3 dollars, pay with a ten, and the cashier gives me back $17 instead of $7, I am now stealing?

No, I am focused on the idea of blame for the action. If I buy a caron of milk for $3 dollars, pay with a ten, and the cashier gives me back $17 instead of $7, I am now stealing?

Thank you again sir
get off his nuts bro.  here, did a quick google search and came up with this.

http://www.bankrate.com/b...v/Nov06_bank_errora1.asp

probably wouldn't take that money after reading it.  but i would DEF wait until the bank contacted you instead of pro-actively contacting them due to the fact there is the 1/100 chance they may not catch it.

Thank you again sir

probably wouldn't take that money after reading it.  but i would DEF wait until the bank contacted you instead of pro-actively contacting them due to the fact there is the 1/100 chance they may not catch it.

Thank you again sir
so you came in here hoping someone would re affirm you to act upon common sense?  you already know that banks are on point with their accounting, that's why theyre making more money than the rest of us combined
laugh.gif

if financial institutions werent absolutely spot on accurate (and sometimes criminally accurate) at keeping track of the 2 cents you overdrafted, or the 2 bucks you earned in interest this month, best believe they can keep track of where your money came from and where it's supposed to go.

seems like this thread was over before it started...call your bank and ask them where the hell you got that 4k from and call it a day.

Thank you again sir
so you came in here hoping someone would re affirm you to act upon common sense?  you already know that banks are on point with their accounting, that's why theyre making more money than the rest of us combined
laugh.gif

if financial institutions werent absolutely spot on accurate (and sometimes criminally accurate) at keeping track of the 2 cents you overdrafted, or the 2 bucks you earned in interest this month, best believe they can keep track of where your money came from and where it's supposed to go.

seems like this thread was over before it started...call your bank and ask them where the hell you got that 4k from and call it a day.

This. I know it's tempting to let it slide or spend the money, but it's not yours. If you were walking down the street and a lady dropped her purse, you wouldn't pick it up and run away hoping there was 4k inside right? You'd stop her and let her know she dropped her purse (at least I hope you would). It's really no different; that's somebody's money, and they may be stressed or worried or need it to make a car payment, or pay for their kid's tuition. Could you really spend it knowing that a) you didn't earn it, and it wasn't given to you honestly. and b) the loss of it might be causing somebody else stress? 

This. I know it's tempting to let it slide or spend the money, but it's not yours. If you were walking down the street and a lady dropped her purse, you wouldn't pick it up and run away hoping there was 4k inside right? You'd stop her and let her know she dropped her purse (at least I hope you would). It's really no different; that's somebody's money, and they may be stressed or worried or need it to make a car payment, or pay for their kid's tuition. Could you really spend it knowing that a) you didn't earn it, and it wasn't given to you honestly. and b) the loss of it might be causing somebody else stress? 

Thank you again sir

Wait, hold up...why you mad for?

Thank you again sir

Wait, hold up...why you mad for?

Man, who can't use a free $4,000. This is what you should do.. It's not your money and it was given to you by a mistake, why not take the risk?
Take the money out of your bank, but don't close the account and DON'T spend any of it. Wait till the summer is over, and if your account does not say negative $4K, spend it! If it does happen to go into negative o if the bank contacts you deposit it back into the account.

BY THE WAY- Even if you do take the money out of your account and spend it now with the bank finding out the mistake, all they will do is put your account into negative and send you to a collection agency. The collection agency will just keep calling and sending you letters, which will also mess up your credit, but it will take about a year for that to happen.

Man, who can't use a free $4,000. This is what you should do.. It's not your money and it was given to you by a mistake, why not take the risk?
Take the money out of your bank, but don't close the account and DON'T spend any of it. Wait till the summer is over, and if your account does not say negative $4K, spend it! If it does happen to go into negative o if the bank contacts you deposit it back into the account.

BY THE WAY- Even if you do take the money out of your account and spend it now with the bank finding out the mistake, all they will do is put your account into negative and send you to a collection agency. The collection agency will just keep calling and sending you letters, which will also mess up your credit, but it will take about a year for that to happen.

Back
Top Bottom