MONEY Can't Buy Happiness Vol. The millionaires perspective

http://www.telegraph.co.u...-made-him-miserable.html

Karl Rabeder grew up poor and thought that life would be wonderful if he had money. But when he got rich, Karl discovered that he was unhappy … so he decided to give away every penny of his £3 million fortune:

"My idea is to have nothing left. Absolutely nothing," he told The Daily Telegraph. "Money is counterproductive – it prevents happiness to come."

Instead, he will move out of his luxury Alpine retreat into a small wooden hut in the mountains or a simple bedsit in Innsbruck.

His entire proceeds are going to charities he set up in Central and Latin America, but he will not even take a salary from these.

"For a long time I believed that more wealth and luxury automatically meant more happiness," he said. "I come from a very poor family where the rules were to work more to achieve more material things, and I applied this for many years," said Mr Rabeder.

But over time, he had another, conflicting feeling.

"More and more I heard the words: ‘Stop what you are doing now – all this luxury and consumerism – and start your real life’," he said. "I had the feeling I was working as a slave for things that I did not wish for or need. I have the feeling that there are lot of people doing the same thing."

to each his own i guess, but if you worked hard to get what you have you should be proud of it

Ehhh that perspective doesn't change my mind... seems like he just wasn't spending it right or allowed himself to get caught up... I mean if you can be happy poor you can be happy rich

I do believe that the old saying "the things you own, end up owning you"...but that is only if you let it consume you....i like nice things because I like them, not because other people like them ....and I dont like having things just because other people like/want something. Money buys freedom to do what you love, freedom and love are happiness....

Ima stay tryin to stack paper... pretty much all I think about
pimp.gif

I've always hated this saying.  I don't know if it's because I've had a loving family and friends, but money makes life more funny without financial stresses.

If the money comes to you, then fine - You would be wealthy and happy in a sense. But if you're working for it and totally focused on attaining it - You're simply doing it wrong. Example being the guy from the article, a person that actually experienced it rather than talking purely out of ones imagination on what it would be like.

He obviously noticed that he was getting too caught up in money/materialism, and wanted to put an immediate stop to that. If this is how he believes he'll find enlightenment and happiness, good for him.

He got it wrong, money+friends+family is da bomb yo. Most people you see now that are stressed, it revolves around money. If you can take those little day to day annoyances away and just enjoy life surrounded by good people, you're good. He went wrong by living in a "retreat" and being a workaholic.

"More and more I heard the words: ‘Stop what you are doing now – allthis luxury and consumerism – and start your real life’," he said. "Ihad the feeling I was working as a slave for things that I did not wishfor or need. I have the feeling that there are lot of people doing thesame thing."
communism FTW
pimp.gif

I read the MSN article earlier... kinda crazy. This was interesting from the article:

[h5]
[h5]In fact, in a study of members of the Forbes 400 "richest" list, the world's wealthiest individuals rated their satisfaction at exactly the same level as did the Inuit people of northern Greenland and the Masai of Kenya, who have no electricity or running water. [/h5]
[/h5]

If you have money and are unhappy, you're spending it wrong. I do agree though that focusing solely on the attainment of money can be damaging and prevent you from being happy, unless you like what you do of course. If I had a million dollars, I'd be pretty happy right now. Even half a million would make me content.

It seems that rich people always say this, how about they give their money to me if it makes them that unhappy
laugh.gif

Yo i need to show this to my dad. every other thing outta his mouth is about money
smh.gif

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Quote me on this: "Money is a good down payment on happiness, but it will never in fact, guarantee happiness...." [/color]

(Think about that statement for a while).

Glad "Karl Rabeder" realized this, regardless of however many years it took him.

smile.gif

Money buys happiness...by him giving away all his money, he was in return, "Happy"
He paid to be happy.
He bought happiness.
He is happy.

His own perspective.

I don't want to be rich , i want to be financially comfortable.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Yo i need to show this to my dad. every other thing outta his mouth is about money
smh.gif
Update: Showed him..... long story short he got pissed and tried to lecture me on how stupid the guy is.....
eyes.gif
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom