Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Movie (Reboot Announced)

Yellow looking Orange under that light.

Of course they all look better than the movie versions.

Last edited:
Looked up the box office cuz I was curious

Absolute tank

Barely 100 million worldwide

They screwed it up with the very bad cgi

A second does look 50/50 now. They messed up by giving JDF and Amy Jo a crap cameo lol. If they do make a second, they better cast them as parents of the new Tommy, teachers, or sommmmething and that'll bring in a lot more people on it's own :smile:

Oh and if they do make a second, better not make Tommy a chick. It'll for sure bomb and be the end of that haha

Saw this yesterday, exceeded my expectations (not that they were very high).

This film had some of the best pacing I've seen in any origin story for a comic book/sci-fi action film.

It's Saban's fault for going cheap for the last 30 minutes of the movie

Lol the putties fight scenes weren't even as good as the 1995 movie's

Last edited:
Don't think the CGI was a reason why it didn't do as well at the box office. That would only affect repeat viewings. The power rangers have always been something of a novelty. I think most people overestimated PR's popularity. After all the 1995 movie only grossed 66 million at the box office. 

Last edited:
Na Paulwest, you can make anything popular if you put the effort into it. You get what you put in. GotG was a property only popular to a small niche group and look how that turned out cuz they worked hard to make a balanced movie with good story and cgi.

In 2017, I don't think you can put out a good story, but short change the cgi and expect ppl just to focus on the story.

Maybe if it was a netflix movie, you can get away with that..

Last edited:
It flopped because it's the power rangers. No one would see it with me, consensus was "it was corny then, it's corny now".

Na Paulwest, you can make anything popular if you put the effort into it. You get what you put in. GotG was a property only popular to a small niche group and look how that turned out cuz they worked hard to make a balanced movie with good story and cgi.
But going into GOTG you knew it was apart of the MCU. That was their biggest selling point. Any movie that falls under that established universe is going to do bank. Power rangers on the other hand has an established history. The campiness worked for 90's television. But translating it to the big screen is a balancing act. If you make it too much like the old show you alienate the potential new fans. And vice versa.

Not every mcu makes the same amount of money. Even if it's a part of the mcu if it's not something ppl like they're not going to see it. GotG worked. Broke 700 mil.

Dr Strange came in after 10 mcu films,and didn't break 700 mil. However, it was still a decent enough movie so it made money. Let's say Dr Strange had the same story but all its cgi was like Power Rangers. Its mcu status will save it from being a horrific tank but it'd have been the worst performing mcu film for sure.

Last edited:
It flopped because it's the power rangers. No one would see it with me, consensus was "it was corny then, it's corny now".

For those kind of people, word of mouth may or may not help. Ain't no good word of mouth getting out there if the first weekend crew doesn't have nice things to say.

The issue was simple. Saban tried to chase after the YA crowd which is far riskier than just making a cheesy homage driven movie for existing fans. Heck you could've given power rangers the 21 jump street/ bay watch treatment and it would've done better than this movie

Don't think the CGI was a reason why it didn't do as well at the box office. That would only affect repeat viewings. The power rangers have always been something of a novelty. I think most people overestimated PR's popularity. After all the 1995 movie only grossed 66 million at the box office. 
Well adjusted for inflation the 1995 movie made 105 million dollars on a 23 million dollar budget(also adjusted. Was 15 at the time). Pretty big success

1995 power rangers
Budget:15 mill(23 mill adjusted)
Box office: 66 mill(105 mill adjusted)

Budget: 100 million
Box office so far: 118 million

Also the merchandising back then was much more lucrative than now

Last edited:
they needed a better conclusion, the build up was good but it didn't pay off in the end by rushing the fight scenes and with an underwhelming zord fight

had the second half been better, word of mouth and better RT score would have helped it get at least twice what it has made so far

Also it goes to show the state of PR is in nowadays. You can compare today to stuff like space or time force, even SPD for arguments sale and it's clear to me that the issue is Saban and the creative people in charge(I know saban has been around since then)

Last edited:
Basically.

Before I even saw the trailer when I saw what the rangers suits looked like I said to myself and posted in here this is a movie you watch when it's on tv. You don't even go looking for the bootleg/DVD screener.

Last edited:

Yellow looking Orange under that light.
Basically.

Before I even saw the trailer when I saw what the rangers suits looked like I said to myself and posted in here this is a movie you watch when it's on tv. You don't even go looking for the bootleg/DVD screener.
with how super hero movies AND transformers movies have preformed.. I could easily see a way for this to succeed

but I agree with @Master Zik  I had zero desire once I started seeing pics.. and reading what folks have said, it starts out well and just drops off kinda unnecessarily

could have very easily gone a MCU type of route.. take itself seriously, but don't go overly dark/depressing like current DCEU.. look at movies like first IM, WS and CW

and movie needs at least a 140-150 budget

don't forget Marvel earned enough good will for people to experiment and actually give da first Guardians a chance.

Back
Top Bottom