Malcolm X thread.

Originally Posted by judeezy36

What proof do you or Malcolm for that matter have of Christianity and specifically the teachings of Jesus to turn the other cheek being the reason for the long-suffered oppression of black people?  One of the most profound messages that came from reading the autobiography and watching the Spike Lee Joint was that to a certain extent, Malcolm was misguided in his thinking while under the direction of the Nation.  Once he broke free from their guidance, Malcolm was able to see the value of people and the diversity of their beliefs.  
The type of quotation that you highlighted from Malcolm is most likely one that he would've regretted making before his death.  "I did many things as a [Black] Muslim that I'm sorry for now. I was a zombie then—like all [Black] Muslims—I was hypnotized, pointed in a certain direction and told to march. "  Militant Malcolm held beliefs and made statements that alienated people.  He was stuck on color-- and for most of his life helped to create further divisions between blacks/whites  christians/muslims.  Jesus being portrayed as having blonde hair and blue eyes does little IMO to promote white supremacy... it's not that serious.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

What proof do you or Malcolm for that matter have of Christianity and specifically the teachings of Jesus to turn the other cheek being the reason for the long-suffered oppression of black people?  One of the most profound messages that came from reading the autobiography and watching the Spike Lee Joint was that to a certain extent, Malcolm was misguided in his thinking while under the direction of the Nation.  Once he broke free from their guidance, Malcolm was able to see the value of people and the diversity of their beliefs.  
The type of quotation that you highlighted from Malcolm is most likely one that he would've regretted making before his death.  "I did many things as a [Black] Muslim that I'm sorry for now. I was a zombie then—like all [Black] Muslims—I was hypnotized, pointed in a certain direction and told to march. "  Militant Malcolm held beliefs and made statements that alienated people.  He was stuck on color-- and for most of his life helped to create further divisions between blacks/whites  christians/muslims.  Jesus being portrayed as having blonde hair and blue eyes does little IMO to promote white supremacy... it's not that serious.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by gambit215

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
You can roll on the floor and laugh all you want-- but if you look at it from an anthropological perspective, white supremacy has been promoted and sometimes accepted in the black community as a result of a number of factors... images in the media, hierarchies in the work place, etc. (just to name some of the most prominent factors).  As a religion major in college, I actually took a class entitled "The White Christ:  A Savior for All?"  Class was mad interesting-really took a closer look at how different ethnic groups of Christians perceive Jesus.  Research overwhelmingly supported the notion that each group held different perceptions of Jesus--all of which fit a more personalized view of themselves.  In short, if Jesus was going to be seen as the Christ, a Savior.... he had better look and sound a bit like me.  For my final research paper, I synthesized experiences at three distinct worship services to confirm the prevailing research:  A hispanic Catholic Church, a Southern Baptist majority-White congregation, and a majority-Black Pentecostal church.
Your e-laughter seems to indicate that you know differently?  Feel free to drop some knowledge, homie.

Originally Posted by gambit215

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
You can roll on the floor and laugh all you want-- but if you look at it from an anthropological perspective, white supremacy has been promoted and sometimes accepted in the black community as a result of a number of factors... images in the media, hierarchies in the work place, etc. (just to name some of the most prominent factors).  As a religion major in college, I actually took a class entitled "The White Christ:  A Savior for All?"  Class was mad interesting-really took a closer look at how different ethnic groups of Christians perceive Jesus.  Research overwhelmingly supported the notion that each group held different perceptions of Jesus--all of which fit a more personalized view of themselves.  In short, if Jesus was going to be seen as the Christ, a Savior.... he had better look and sound a bit like me.  For my final research paper, I synthesized experiences at three distinct worship services to confirm the prevailing research:  A hispanic Catholic Church, a Southern Baptist majority-White congregation, and a majority-Black Pentecostal church.
Your e-laughter seems to indicate that you know differently?  Feel free to drop some knowledge, homie.

Originally Posted by ShoxBb433

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Some main points that stuck from reading his autobiography was how he proclaimed christianity was the slave master's religion and blacks have no business practicing Christianity which I agree with.
Man it seems that we either don't care to acknowledge that or we don't know or think about it. I ask people this all the time and nobody can seem to give me an answer. Whatever the slave master did to get us to believe in it, he did a GREAT job. A GREAT job. We are terrified to even question the legitimacy of Christianity.
I was raised christian but as I become more knowledgeable and educated I couldn't see the legitimacy. Malcolm said that Christianity's turn the other cheek philosophy is the reason we have been oppressed like we have. He says the slave master promised a heaven after death while the slavemaster was living heaven on earth. I also believe that the blond blue-eyed jesus most christians worship increases subconscious thoughts of white supremacy and self-hatred. 

Wrong, it was DEFINITELY not a quote he would have regretted, dude was very adamant about how Christianity was not fit for the American Negro. Black's during the slave days were controlled by believing that after they died they would go to heaven. So your telling me that a "god" forced on people that represents their slave master doesn't support white supremacy?

Some main points that stuck from reading his autobiography was how he proclaimed christianity was the slave master's religion and blacks have no business practicing Christianity which I agree with.
Man it seems that we either don't care to acknowledge that or we don't know or think about it. I ask people this all the time and nobody can seem to give me an answer. Whatever the slave master did to get us to believe in it, he did a GREAT job. A GREAT job. We are terrified to even question the legitimacy of Christianity.
I was raised christian but as I become more knowledgeable and educated I couldn't see the legitimacy. Malcolm said that Christianity's turn the other cheek philosophy is the reason we have been oppressed like we have. He says the slave master promised a heaven after death while the slavemaster was living heaven on earth. I also believe that the blond blue-eyed jesus most christians worship increases subconscious thoughts of white supremacy and self-hatred. 

Wrong, it was DEFINITELY not a quote he would have regretted, dude was very adamant about how Christianity was not fit for the American Negro. Black's during the slave days were controlled by believing that after they died they would go to heaven. So your telling me that a "god" forced on people that represents their slave master doesn't support white supremacy?

So if not Christianity or Islam, then what "should" we be practicing? Odinani?

Besides nothing. LOL.

Besides nothing. LOL.

Nah, you right man.  I'll give you that.  Just came up on an interview post-Hajj in which Malcolm said the following:
[size=-1]SPELLMAN:[/size] What is your attitude toward Christian-Gandhian groups?

[size=-1]MALCOLM X:[/size] Christian? Gandhian? I don't go for anything that's non-violent and turn-the-other-cheekish. I don't see how any revolution—I've never heard of a non-violent revolution or a revolution that was brought about by turning the other cheek, and so I believe that it is a crime for anyone to teach a person who is being brutalized to continue to accept that brutality without doing something to defend himself. If this is what the Christian-Gandhian philosophy teaches then it is criminal—a criminal philosophy.

Your original point related to self-conscious buy-in of white supremacy and self-hatred... I don't think the portrayal of Jesus as being white (like the slave master) did so much of that.... it is certainly an example of the exercise of perceived white-supremacy... but I don't know that it spawned self-hatred or feelings that White must be right (since Jesus was too)--Again, just sharing what I learned through actual research.

Nah, you right man.  I'll give you that.  Just came up on an interview post-Hajj in which Malcolm said the following:
[size=-1]SPELLMAN:[/size] What is your attitude toward Christian-Gandhian groups?

[size=-1]MALCOLM X:[/size] Christian? Gandhian? I don't go for anything that's non-violent and turn-the-other-cheekish. I don't see how any revolution—I've never heard of a non-violent revolution or a revolution that was brought about by turning the other cheek, and so I believe that it is a crime for anyone to teach a person who is being brutalized to continue to accept that brutality without doing something to defend himself. If this is what the Christian-Gandhian philosophy teaches then it is criminal—a criminal philosophy.

Your original point related to self-conscious buy-in of white supremacy and self-hatred... I don't think the portrayal of Jesus as being white (like the slave master) did so much of that.... it is certainly an example of the exercise of perceived white-supremacy... but I don't know that it spawned self-hatred or feelings that White must be right (since Jesus was too)--Again, just sharing what I learned through actual research.

Besides nothing. LOL.

Like I said earlier practice whatever the hell you want. My issue is with this notion that being Christian or being Muslim makes you more "black". Some people act like being non-religious makes you any less of a black man until I explain to them the history of how people of the African diaspora became Christians. How out of touch people are with history never ceases to amaze me.
eek.gif

Yea do you, just don't make up some bull$$# about Islam or Christianity being the "pro-black" thing to do.

Besides nothing. LOL.

Like I said earlier practice whatever the hell you want. My issue is with this notion that being Christian or being Muslim makes you more "black". Some people act like being non-religious makes you any less of a black man until I explain to them the history of how people of the African diaspora became Christians. How out of touch people are with history never ceases to amaze me.
eek.gif

Yea do you, just don't make up some bull$$# about Islam or Christianity being the "pro-black" thing to do.

Besides nothing. LOL.

I have no qualms with Christianity personally, it's just not for me,though.  I have trouble believing in these so called prophets. I feel as though anything that makes you a better person is what you should go with. 

Back
Top Bottom