Living with Mom's after graduation....respectable???

Pretty much if I don't get a job in my major, I plan on transferring to a location for my current job back home. Now I`m only 22 and I make more money then your avg college graduate in the Southeast, but I would be making less money back home (even though I would have less expenses) being that the market is so big and saturated. My game plan is by Dec if I don't have a gig lined up, I would enroll full time in a graduate program, and try to do the graduate intern thing, since that is pretty much how everyone gets their job nowadays outside of those who hit a lick or got put on via their undergrad internship.

I`m only 22, so it's not like I`m 28 or anything. And I will be stacking bread so I can buy a new car and knock out student loans (unless I enter a grad school program). As a man what are you guys views on this?? I know chicks be on some dumb stuff but it's what ever lol

Pretty much if I don't get a job in my major, I plan on transferring to a location for my current job back home. Now I`m only 22 and I make more money then your avg college graduate in the Southeast, but I would be making less money back home (even though I would have less expenses) being that the market is so big and saturated. My game plan is by Dec if I don't have a gig lined up, I would enroll full time in a graduate program, and try to do the graduate intern thing, since that is pretty much how everyone gets their job nowadays outside of those who hit a lick or got put on via their undergrad internship.

I`m only 22, so it's not like I`m 28 or anything. And I will be stacking bread so I can buy a new car and knock out student loans (unless I enter a grad school program). As a man what are you guys views on this?? I know chicks be on some dumb stuff but it's what ever lol

Don't trip about it. I graduated in 2009 with no job and moved back home with the rents since I didn't have a source of funds. Even after I locked down a job I was in no rush to move out. Yeah it sucked not being able to bring girls back but I saved up for a while and it was cool to have that money in my pocket. Like you said, you're still young. Just save up for 6 months or so and then you can look into moving out.

Don't trip about it. I graduated in 2009 with no job and moved back home with the rents since I didn't have a source of funds. Even after I locked down a job I was in no rush to move out. Yeah it sucked not being able to bring girls back but I saved up for a while and it was cool to have that money in my pocket. Like you said, you're still young. Just save up for 6 months or so and then you can look into moving out.

Originally Posted by kilojules64

As long as you aren't living OFF of your mom, of course it's respectable!
Don't move out before you're ready/at an inopportune time, there are so many things that could mess up.

Originally Posted by kilojules64

Don't move out before you're ready/at an inopportune time, there are so many things that could mess up.

At 22 I would think thats being resourseful. Nothing wrong with that, you gotta do what you gotta do. And its not forever. I mean your getting it done either way.

At 22 I would think thats being resourseful. Nothing wrong with that, you gotta do what you gotta do. And its not forever. I mean your getting it done either way.

No problem with it at all. Im just a freshman but the plan is to move back in for a year after I graduate and stack up a little bit of money

No problem with it at all. Im just a freshman but the plan is to move back in for a year after I graduate and stack up a little bit of money

Yes, my boy is pulling down like 65k as an engineer......first year out of school and still lives in his parents house.

Save money and move out when you're ready. The only reason I'm going to live on my own after graduation is because my job is in a different state.

Our parents are immigrants though. America has this horrible culture of kicking their children out and in turn those children send their parents to nursing homes when the time comes.

Yes, my boy is pulling down like 65k as an engineer......first year out of school and still lives in his parents house.

Save money and move out when you're ready. The only reason I'm going to live on my own after graduation is because my job is in a different state.

Our parents are immigrants though. America has this horrible culture of kicking their children out and in turn those children send their parents to nursing homes when the time comes.

Originally Posted by kicksaholic86

agree.

Originally Posted by kicksaholic86

agree.

Are you contributing to the household?

My dad lost his job in the early 2000 during the .com bubble burst. For several years, he was not able to find a job. When I finished my undergrad and got a full time career related job, I was paying the mortgage of our house for several years.

Like what kilojules64 stated, as long as you are not living off your mom, it's respectable. If you're not contributing financially, you better be doing most, if not, all of the household chores.

You know what's embarrassing? When an individual moves out of their parents household when they think they have established themselves a career, yet moving back to their parent's crib because their lack of financial aptitude led them to splurge money on materialistic goods.  

Are you contributing to the household?

My dad lost his job in the early 2000 during the .com bubble burst. For several years, he was not able to find a job. When I finished my undergrad and got a full time career related job, I was paying the mortgage of our house for several years.

Like what kilojules64 stated, as long as you are not living off your mom, it's respectable. If you're not contributing financially, you better be doing most, if not, all of the household chores.

You know what's embarrassing? When an individual moves out of their parents household when they think they have established themselves a career, yet moving back to their parent's crib because their lack of financial aptitude led them to splurge money on materialistic goods.  

Ride it out as long as possible homie....I moved out when I was 16 and it was the worse decision, financially, at the time. My hand was forced though. I could have saved so much money if I had the opportunity to stay home.

Ride it out as long as possible homie....I moved out when I was 16 and it was the worse decision, financially, at the time. My hand was forced though. I could have saved so much money if I had the opportunity to stay home.

Originally Posted by jsmith42

yes, so many people give advice to stay home and stack up.

Back
Top Bottom