• Gumbo/All Stars

Votes: 354 27.0%

• Total voters
SE Lows or SE Elites?
nerd.gif
Elites, imma sucker for that red and gold

The worst are the air max retro Jordan's :x

I understand with kids with fakes tho.. Especially when GS lebron 12s are 160$

Not to bring this thread too far off the tracks, and it's great what the7 has done for less fortunate in the past, but who is forcing people to wear the swoosh? When I was a kid we couldn't afford Jordan's so I got Fila or Reebok. What's stopping them from buying a quality shoe from a different brand that isn't Nike? That isn't $200? There are plenty of great shoes that can be head on sale for $40-60. I buy em for my son all the time. I paid $75 for some LeBron XI for him. $30 for UA sneaks yesterday, even $10 for some adidas a month ago. In my opinion (yeah it may stink) there is no true need for any fakes.

Not to bring this thread too far off the tracks, and it's great what the7 has done for less fortunate in the past, but who is forcing people to wear the swoosh? When I was a kid we couldn't afford Jordan's so I got Fila or Reebok. What's stopping them from buying a quality shoe from a different brand that isn't Nike? That isn't $200? There are plenty of great shoes that can be head on sale for $40-60. I buy em for my son all the time. I paid $75 for some LeBron XI for him. $30 for UA sneaks yesterday, even $10 for some adidas a month ago. In my opinion (yeah it may stink) there is no true need for any fakes.

Agreed.

Yea but that peer pressure to fit in for kids at times can be killer :smh:

For some that fake it til you make it syndrome is better than staying in your bracket though :\

They'd rather pay $80 for variants than $80 dollars for something real but not as popular :rolleyes

On the same page as bigj505 bigj505

I was lucky to be able to have pair of Jordan's in 6th grade, but that was one of the very FEW times that mom and dad ponied up that kinda dough for kicks. Any time I wanted another pair before my current pair was trashed, I used whatever little money I would save from birthdays, etc. Copped LA Gear from Marshall's, Reebok from the outlets...

Nobody is forcing the "swoosh" on anybody, and not to get too heavy on this topic, but if we as parents can instill in kids the value of money and that material things like sneakers (especially at a young age) don't equate to social status, then that's can only be a W for the kids as they continue to mature.

Just because someone can't afford something doesn't mean that it should support the "grey market" industry, as then it just continues to cloud the hobby that we all love.

As Kevin Hart says... "Stay in your financial lane"...there is a price point for everybody.

Last edited:
Not only teach them the value of the dollar, but the fact that you don't have to live up to others standards and constantly be working towards impressing those around you. My son knows I collect sneakers and spend decent money on myself, he also knows I didn't have but one pair of Jordan's as a kid and I have worked my rear off to get what I want. He won't be getting a $120-160 shoe as a kid until he gets his own job. Can I afford it? Yes. Will I spend it? Absolutely not

And I know this is the XI thread and not the XII, but anyone else notice the price of the GS pairs went up $20, from $140 - 160?? Even tho the adult pairs are still $200!

Not only teach them the value of the dollar, but the fact that you don't have to live up to others standards and constantly be working towards impressing those around you. My son knows I collect sneakers and spend decent money on myself, he also knows I didn't have but one pair of Jordan's as a kid and I have worked my rear off to get what I want. He won't be getting a $120-160 shoe as a kid until he gets his own job. Can I afford it? Yes. Will I spend it? Absolutely not
What if he asks for them and has excellent grades and behavior? My mom really couldn't afford Js when I was a kid but she made a way for birthdays and income tax season LMAO.

That may lead to an exception, but in my situation, I don't need to worry about that. He isn't what I was as a kid in school and we'll leave it at that lol

Yall know them premium materials are expensive right :lol:

Just kidding btw but I don't have any youngins yet so I can only imagine yall pain :smh:

So the wifey isn't into sneakers at all. She loves boots and sandals. Well she came to me and said, "I really like those new Carolina blue XIs that's dropping around Christmas time." I said "Well they $160 and going just as fast as men's sizes. You better be up clicking add-to-cart just like me if I don't win a raffle!!!" The look on her face after that response was priceless.

Yea but that peer pressure to fit in for kids at times can be killer :smh:

For some that fake it til you make it syndrome is better than staying in your bracket though :\

They'd rather pay $80 for variants than $80 dollars for something real but not as popular :rolleyes

I'll say this... and this is coming from the perspective of a teacher/child/and "parent." People who care about other people's shoes are grounded in their own insecurities. Man growing up I NEVER had Jordans, EVER. I didn't get a cool pair of nikes until the Griffey IIs. And I only got those cuz my aunt bought them for me. My mother didn't buy me a cool pair of kicks until the goldenrods. But guess what? Man I stayed with plenty of friends and I knew everybody. If you relying on kicks to make you cool you hustling backwards. Nobody went in on my shoes. I was never ostracized because of my shoes. My mom was real good about only going shoe shopping and getting me stuff that was "on sale" so I stayed in the randomest of the random nikes and reeboks etc. :lol: :lol:

As a teacher, I can vouch for this. Cool kids don't always have the best shoes. One chick was popular with a bad weave and payless Toms :lol: :lol:

this and more of it. My nephew get a dope pair of kicks once a year. Everything else is purchased on sale.

Yall know them premium materials are expensive right :lol:

Just kidding btw but I don't have any youngins yet so I can only imagine yall pain :smh:

my daughter is like that always wants my shoes and when she was in toddlers and I was seeing sales all the time she stayed in some ish, but now she's back to her prancy stage and only wants sparkle toes and the such and stop wearing what I buy her so I stopped buying her shoes, I copped her the MNXIs on sale but that's the last shoe she'll get for awhile, now grant it at the age of 7 she has a full understanding of money since we started her on an allowance at 5 so she saves like crazy and likes to tell us she'd rather spend our money then hers, told her over the wkend she needed to give me a dollar when she wanted a pretzel she said nevermind, mind you she had $20 in her purse :lol:  :smh:  

So the wifey isn't into sneakers at all. She loves boots and sandals. Well she came to me and said, "I really like those new Carolina blue XIs that's dropping around Christmas time." I said "Well they $160 and going just as fast as men's sizes. You better be up clicking add-to-cart just like me if I don't win a raffle!!!" The look on her face after that response was priceless.

if my wife ever asked me for some Jordan/nike/reebok/adidas that weren't them cushioned nike flip flops that she has me replace yearly i'd jump thru hoops to get them for her just to see her in them :lol:

[QUOTE name="Ciscokid" url="/t/532801/lebron-xi-wtl-us-9-13-maison-collection-8-23-updated-8-18/79890#post_21912637]
[/QUOTE]

MAN, i'm gonna get you sucker if you post another bunion pic :lol:

Much better with the blacked out mesh

View media item 1246006

looking good

Last edited by a moderator:

Lmao i trade a pair of concord lows my size to get my girls gammas (mind you she is 6.5 kids) at sneaker con. it hurt at first but the look on her face when i put the box in her hands was awesome, (worth it) she stood there for like a min before she scream thank you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom