LeBron James Quarter Point MVP

James Quarter Point MVP

spacer.gif

By: Jason Fleming Last Updated: 12/7/07 10:28 PM ET | 301 times read

Adjust font size:

The Cleveland Cavaliers have been absolutely horrid since LeBron James went down with his finger injury - and no, that probably doesn't surprise anyone. James hasn't played since November 28th when he left the game against the Detroit Pistons. Including that game the Cavs have lost five straight without their star.

Again, no surprise - but can one player really make that much of a difference? James is a great player who contributes all over the court with scoring, passing, rebounding and defense, but he's still just one man. Shouldn't his teammates be able to pick up some of the slack?

Let's break down some numbers to see how much of an impact a healthy James makes on the Cavs. The record we already mentioned a little:

With James: 9-6
Without James: 0-5

That probably seems simple enough, but let's look at the scoring differences as well. Keep in mind, James scores 30.7 a night, tops in the league; that's not easy to replace. Here's what the Cavaliers' scoring averages look like with and without their star:

With James: 102.1
Without James: 78.2

That's a difference of -23.9 points a game! Theoretically that would mean the players who get more time with James' 39.8 minutes a game available are only producing just under seven points a game - right?

Shannon Brown is the player who seems to be getting the biggest minutes boost with James out, with a few more minutes each for Devin Brown, Eric Snow and Ira Newble. Let's focus on Shannon for a second, who has started a couple games:

With James: 2 games, 11.0 minutes, 6.0 points, 0.5 rebounds
Without James: 4 games, 20.5 minutes, 10.5 points, 2.0 rebounds, 2.3 assists

That's not a huge jump, but that's 10 points a night the Cavaliers really weren't seeing at all with James in the lineup. How about Devin Brown?

With James: 20.1 minutes, 6.3 points, 3.1 rebounds, 1.8 assists
Without James: 22.0 minutes, 6.4 points, 1.0 rebound, 1.6 assists

It should be noted Brown started very early in the season until Sasha Pavlovic was ready to come back from his holdout. Still, without James Brown really hasn't made much of an impact.

What about the other top scorers? Let's look at Sasha Pavlovic:

Season Average: 8.6 points, 2.4 rebounds, 1.9 assists
Without James: 8.8 points, 2.2 rebounds, 1.2 assists

And Daniel Gibson:

Season Average: 12.7 points, 2.8 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 50.5 3FG%
Without James: 13.4 points, 2.6 rebounds, 5.4 assists, 48.1 3FG%

So what are we seeing? It seems the players discussed here have made little or no change to their games - at least to their statistical contributions - with their superstar teammate sitting and watching in street clothes. Drew Gooden and Zydrunas Ilgauskas are two players who actually have seen slips in their stats.

While Brown has stepped up a bit to provide scoring in the absence of the star, it hasn't been nearly enough because the rest of the team is no more than moderately raising their games. Now, that is not an indictment on these players - no one can doubt they are giving their all every night.

The reason is simply James himself. With James on the floor he demands all the attention of the defense. When he can penetrate in the lane, he can kick the ball out to players like Pavlovic, Gibson and even Big Z for short or long jumpers. When the defense collapses on him he can dump the ball off to Ilgauskas and Gooden for easy baskets.

The Cavaliers seem to still be getting a similar number of points, but they have to work much harder for those points without James and his 8.1 assists a game to help them out. Realistically, they have stepped up their games because of this - it's the presence of James which makes these contributions easier and the team stronger.

Given this, should there really be much of a discussion of who is MVP at the quarter point in the season? Kevin Garnett has been very good in Boston and Dwight Howard an absolute stud in Orlando, but no player is more valuable to his team being successful than LeBron James.

Just posting this to show how valuable LeBron is. I posted before "How is LeBron NOT MVP" and got roasted but this article doesnt hurt my argument.

It's Dwight Howard by faaaaaar. Lebron is acting like a chump right now, real talk. You have a sprained finger and your gonna let you team look like acomplete joke.

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

It's Dwight Howard by faaaaaar. Lebron is acting like a chump right now, real talk. You have a sprained finger and your gonna let you team look like a complete joke.
couldn't agree more. the magic are ridiculous.

It's Dwight Howard by faaaaaar.

No it's not.. LeBron is the MVP, both in terms of stats and how much he means to his team, something that is all too evident right now when he'snot playing. I mean, the Cavs are completely lost without him and are total garbage. This could be seen in the game where he was injured itself. In the firsthalf against the Pistons, the game was relatively close, when he went out the Pistons went on a rampage and absolutely demolished the pathetic Cavs. LBJ =MVP

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

It's Dwight Howard by faaaaaar.

No it's not.. LeBron is the MVP, both in terms of stats and how much he means to his team, something that is all too evident right now when he's not playing. I mean, the Cavs are completely lost without him and are total garbage. This could be seen in the game where he was injured itself. In the first half against the Pistons, the game was relatively close, when he went out the Pistons went on a rampage and absolutely demolished the pathetic Cavs. LBJ = MVP
Oh really? Look at the Magic, they would be just as bad if not worse than the Cavs is D12 went out and dont say "oh well, they have RashardLewis." lets be honest, Rahard is a overrated and overpaid, you cant honestly tell me that dude could carry a team by himself.

LBJ is not the MVP right now (Cavs record).

Gotta go with Duncan Dwight.

Duncan goes down and Manu is ballin like hell.

Dwight is insane right now though. He's puttin up Shaq-in-his-prime type numbers. Whether it will die out like last year remains to be seen. But dude is a killa. He beat up the Cavs big men by himself when we played them.

Definitely Dwight right now. No way in hell LeBron wins MVP if his team does not win 50 games. Which at this point is an uncertainty. Dwight is just ridiculousright now so it has to be him so far IMO. Still very early.

So those of you saying that LeBron should be the MVP if the season ended today, what would you say about Dirk being MVP last year, and not Kobe?

Just curious.

Y'all SHOULD know I'm no Kobe fan, so don't even try to assume that's the reasoning behind my question.

I'm just curious, nothing more.

my vote goes to either kg, d12 or even kobe anyways who started this thread?....oh wait its a cavs fan of course

Im sick of this argument that not playing in a ton of games and your team sucking shows how important you are to the team. all it shows is LBJ is acting like a%$@$!

Still way too early to do this but if we had to choose today...

1. Dwight
2. Lebron
3. KG
4. CP3
5. Kobe

If I used your arguments about records with or without LeBron, and the fact that his teammates statistically have not changed, then I could say the MVP of theleague should be STEPHEN JACKSON.

Only I wont, because he isnt the MVP....neither is LEBRON.

DWIGHT!!!!

LMAO @ all the Lakers fans saying Dwight.. They shook as hell at the thought that LeBron might win MVP before their guy, so they figure that they'llendorse a big man who can't really be compared to Kobe since they play a different position.

Xtapolapacetl wrote:

No it's not.. LeBron is the MVP, both in terms of stats and how much he means to his team, something that is all too evident right now when he's not playing. I mean, the Cavs are completely lost without him and are total garbage. This could be seen in the game where he was injured itself. In the first half against the Pistons, the game was relatively close, when he went out the Pistons went on a rampage and absolutely demolished the pathetic Cavs. LBJ = MVP

In that case Stephen Jackson from thw Warriors should be MVP
grin.gif

But, he's not it's D12. No way you can be a MVP when you miss 5 games because of a sprain on your NON SHOOTING HAND

The only thing people are saying is that Lebron's stats don't really matter if the Cavs are a mediocre team....

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

Xtapolapacetl wrote:

In that case Stephen Jackson from thw Warriors should be MVP
grin.gif

But, he's not it's D12. No way you can be a MVP when you miss 5 games because of a sprain on your NON SHOOTING HAND

You don't think LeBron is the MVP. BTW, nice avatar you got there, I can't quite see who it is..

Does Stephen Jackson happen to average numbers that haven't been seen since MJ's 32, 8 & 8 season in the late 80s?
indifferent.gif

Nice try..

You might be correct. But just because he's NEEDED so much doesn't mean that he's MVP. Dwight Howard should take it at this point. He's provento this league that he's grown up and he's putting up impressive #s every game.

laugh.gif
@ passing up an opportunity to actually have a discussion and choosinginstead to argue about Kobe fans, Laker fans, or Warrior fans.
So those of you saying that LeBron should be the MVP if the season ended today, what would you say about Dirk being MVP last year, and not Kobe?

Just curious.

Y'all SHOULD know I'm no Kobe fan, so don't even try to assume that's the reasoning behind my question.

I'm just curious, nothing more.

we all should know by now the voters look for the mvp to have great individual stats and great team record. that whole "take him off the team and they bein the lotto" argument is not really taken into account anymore (just ask kobe bryant).

so with all that being said, here's my list:

1. dwight howard
2. lebron james
3. kevin garnett

Back
Top Bottom