Leaked audio of Donald Sterling telling his girlfriend "Don't bring black people to my games"

Idiotic to throw away a chance at a title because of all this.

Dudes trying to make a stance like they're Jesse Owens or Jackie Robinson. Give me a break. Those dudes went through legit racist hardship. These are millionaires who didnt give 2 ish about this a week ago. :rolleyes

You've a very good point.

Last edited:
Kareems pov

What bothers me about this whole Donald Sterling affair isn’t just his racism. I’m bothered that everyone acts as if it’s a huge surprise. Now there’s all this dramatic and very public rending of clothing about whether they should keep their expensive Clippers season tickets. Really? All this other stuff I listed above has been going on for years and this ridiculous conversation with his girlfriend is what puts you over the edge? That’s the smoking gun?

He was discriminating against black and Hispanic families for years, preventing them from getting housing. It was public record. We did nothing. Suddenly he says he doesn’t want his girlfriend posing with Magic Johnson on Instagram and we bring out the torches and rope. Shouldn’t we have all called for his resignation back then?

Shouldn’t we be equally angered by the fact that his private, intimate conversation was taped and then leaked to the media? Didn’t we just call to task the NSA for intruding into American citizen’s privacy in such an un-American way? Although the impact is similar to Mitt Romney’s comments that were secretly taped, the difference is that Romney was giving a public speech. The making and release of this tape is so sleazy that just listening to it makes me feel like an accomplice to the crime. We didn’t steal the cake but we’re all gorging ourselves on it. (Via TIME)

Whole piece
. http://time.com/79590/donald-sterling-kareem-abdul-jabbar-racism/

My view on this topic is that this is the world we live in, and we grow softer as time flies by.  Think if something like this happened in the 60's during the civil rights movement, I''m pretty sure there would have been boycotts and protests.  No game would have been played.  The fact that the Clippers players are even playing is just outrageous to me.  I understand that they need to feed their families, etc.  They make MILLIONS.  I'm sure they can live comfortably missing a game check or two in order to do what's right.  This is really a slap in the face to the players in my opinion.  If any of your bosses said something just as racist, would you still work for him?  I doubt it.  It's a shame that turning a warm up jersey inside out and wearing a black wristband is considered protesting nowadays.  I know their are plenty of people who share similar views as Sterling in the world, and in the NBA world, but now that it's been made public drastic measures need to be taken.  However, that won't be the case.  The only thing they can do is suspend him and fine him only up to 1 Mil, which he'll probably make back if the Clips make it to the next round.  In the end, how do you punish a billionaire?  Are we really at a point to where money is above justice? Granted, it's nothing new, but this is just too blatant.  This ranks in the #2 slot of black eyes for the country.  #1 to me, is that kid who killed 4 people, but was literally "to rich to know right from wrong".

I'll tell you where Benjamin Ballington screwed up. His "**** Donald" shirt, while a gesture of support, became all about him. Why do I say this? The second he made it known on FB, IG, or Twitter (can't remember which one) about what he was going to do at the game, thousands of people became aware of his plans. If he had been more subtle, he would have gotten away with it. Ben is a well-known person and should have kept his plans to himself. Can you imagine the scene on ESPN/TNT the second they panned the Clippers bench and you see a dude wearing the "**** Donald" T right behind it? That would be MORE of an egg on the face of the Clippers franchise had this happen. Trust me, I get why he wanted to do it...but he would have been much better served keeping his plans close to the vest.

Sterling isn't racist. Racist people don't hire the race they hate and pay them millions Racist don't smash girls of the race they hate and by her a condo 2 bentleys a land rover and give her 1 million dollars Dude is just ignorant

Is this not ban worthy?

Someone should link Bomani to the secret society. We could use his views and intelligence in all these race threads

How exactly will them not playing hinder their careers? Most of them have already made a healthy chunk of change and if they never play another game for the clippers, they'll certainly be picked up by another team and continue to make good money. These dudes are far from just getting by, they could realistically sit for years and do just fine granted they aren't pissing their money away. I don't even see the league penalizing the players due to the extreme circumstances surrounding the situation. It would be a pr nightmare on their behalf.

Why has he never dealt with this during his reign is a question too.
Davis stern knew what kind of bigot he was and the league didn't do anything about it, sterling has been doing racist practices now forever and stern didn't seem to care but when the dress code came into play he changed that asap

It's crazy looking back at the things those in the civil rights movement risked and gave up in order to prove a point.

The Clippers aren't scrubs, they're all solid, young players with chances to win a title as soon as next year. Sitting out these games to show that human rights is more important than a game or a check shouldn't be a problem, it would be a great statement in contrast to the money first, rights second society were in. Every minute they play on the court, Sterling continues to win, no matter how they try and spin it.

It's crazy looking back at the things those in the civil rights movement risked and gave up in order to prove a point.

The Clippers aren't scrubs, they're all solid, young players with chances to win a title as soon as next year. Sitting out these games to show that human rights is more important than a game or a check shouldn't be a problem, it would be a great statement in contrast to the money first, rights second society were in. Every minute they play on the court, Sterling continues to win, no matter how they try and spin it.

that's basically it right there.

people can flip it as many different ways as they want.

they got enough money to say dignity > a check

Where was David Stern and the rest of the owner's when Sterling was pulling this crap in the past?

It's like they swept it under the rug until hard evidence leaked.

Reminds me of the whole Sandusky scandal. Turn the other until cheek until the public forces action. Pathetic.

I just can't compare what happened during the civil rights movement to this situation at hand. Two different times, different mindframes, different situations, IMO.

I just can't compare what happened during the civil rights movement to this situation at hand. Two different times, different mindframes, different situations, IMO.

No you're completely right. It's idiotic to compare the situations.

What the clippers players are doing reminds me of a scene on the Simpsons.

Moe: "I don't need your stinkin money!"

*folds check nicely, places check in shirt pocket*

Sterling isn't racist. Racist people don't hire the race they hate and pay them millions Racist don't smash girls of the race they hate and by her a condo 2 bentleys a land rover and give her 1 million dollars Dude is just ignorant
1448.gif

1448.gif

1448.gif

1448.gif

Kareems pov

What bothers me about this whole Donald Sterling affair isn’t just his racism. I’m bothered that everyone acts as if it’s a huge surprise. Now there’s all this dramatic and very public rending of clothing about whether they should keep their expensive Clippers season tickets. Really? All this other stuff I listed above has been going on for years and this ridiculous conversation with his girlfriend is what puts you over the edge? That’s the smoking gun?

He was discriminating against black and Hispanic families for years, preventing them from getting housing. It was public record. We did nothing. Suddenly he says he doesn’t want his girlfriend posing with Magic Johnson on Instagram and we bring out the torches and rope. Shouldn’t we have all called for his resignation back then?

Shouldn’t we be equally angered by the fact that his private, intimate conversation was taped and then leaked to the media? Didn’t we just call to task the NSA for intruding into American citizen’s privacy in such an un-American way? Although the impact is similar to Mitt Romney’s comments that were secretly taped, the difference is that Romney was giving a public speech. The making and release of this tape is so sleazy that just listening to it makes me feel like an accomplice to the crime. We didn’t steal the cake but we’re all gorging ourselves on it. (Via TIME)

Whole piece
. http://time.com/79590/donald-sterling-kareem-abdul-jabbar-racism/

Glad I read the whole article, cause with just that excerpt posted, Kareem was basically giving that deflecting the real issue point of view. But the actual article is on point.

So, how do you learn from the past? The past is suppose to gauge the actions of the future. What we should have learned from the civil right movement is that if we band together we can get things done. That's why earlier in this thread I mentioned rosa parks. That was an isloated event that black people chose changed the future. I see this current event can be somewhat the same. So I can tell the young kids that this is how you stand up for your rights. So far I can't do that. Do you know how cool it would have been if every (black) player sat out their game. Just to demonstrate that they are united. Do you know what kind of message that would have taught the younger generation. That's just a pipe dream tho.

I feel like something should've been done a long time ago with Sterling and his previous actions but just because it wasn't that doesn't mean that this isn't a big deal. Something needs to be done period.

Back
Top Bottom