Lakers OFF-SEASON IS A WRAP

How Many Regular Season Games Do You Think Kobe Will Play This Year?

• 1-10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 11-20

• 21-35

• 36-49

• 50-65

• 66-75

• He Plays The Entire Season

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm perfectly fine if he comes back.

For 5 million dollars.

If they hit double digits, I'm gonna make my complaints about 48.5 look like whispers in the wind.

This isn't likely to happen, but say he has a Duncan sort of resurgence and has a 20,5,4 type season on 45% FG. You would be opposed to re-signing that type of production for 10 mil?

10 mil is the new 6 mil except when it involves Kobe. He needs to pay us for all the FAs he cost us by taking that previous deal.

For 5 million dollars.

If they hit double digits, I'm gonna make my complaints about 48.5 look like whispers in the wind.

This isn't likely to happen, but say he has a Duncan sort of resurgence and has a 20,5,4 type season on 45% FG. You would be opposed to re-signing that type of production for 10 mil?

Yes, because to get it at 37 is pure luck, to sign it again and expect it at 38 is just stupid.

I would never, ever, ever, offer 10+ million to someone in their 21st season, hoping for 20/5/4 and a 9-10 month NBA season. Zero chance of it working out well for you.

If he wants to come in, and do the 22 minutes a night thing, where he's still on the roster, plays some 4th quarters, gets the ovations, hits a big shot now and again, sort of the Robert Horry/Reggie Miller retirement plan, fine, give him 5 mil and let's have fun. If he wants starter's money, thinking he's "earned" it, then pass, flat out, pass.

Paying for his "legacy" is setting the franchise back as it is, don't extend it further.

For 5 million dollars.

Yes, because to get it at 37 is pure luck, to sign it again and expect it at 38 is just stupid.

I would never, ever, ever, offer 10+ million to someone in their 21st season, hoping for 20/5/4 and a 9-10 month NBA season. Zero chance of it working out well for you.

If he wants to come in, and do the 22 minutes a night thing, where he's still on the roster, plays some 4th quarters, gets the ovations, hits a big shot now and again, sort of the Robert Horry/Reggie Miller retirement plan, fine, give him 5 mil and let's have fun. If he wants starter's money, thinking he's "earned" it, then pass, flat out, pass.

Paying for his "legacy" is setting the franchise back as it is, don't extend it further.

Lol

A part of me thinks Kobe knows that this is his last season and doesn't want to say so because he feels uncomfortable about having a national farewell tour. (He said something like this once at the Grantland special). After all, he probably sees it as everyone mourning his death for an entire year. Kobe cannot be THAT dense to believe he still got it after this season. 

A part of me thinks Kobe knows that this is his last season and doesn't want to say so because he feels uncomfortable about having a national farewell tour. (He said something like this once at the Grantland special). After all, he probably sees it as everyone mourning his death for an entire year. Kobe cannot be THAT dense to believe he still got it after this season. 

watch.

Yea he'll be back. Question is for how much, they'll probably give him a 1 year 30 million dollar deal after striking out on the FAs again.

If kobe has another season ending injury for the 4th straight year in a row will he finally hang it up?

He should.

People forget he been playing nba ball since he was 18. The nba game is way more harder on your body than college ball.

Last edited:
Watch him avg 18 ppg this year and him realizing that its time to hang it up? I'll look forward to it. We actually need free agents to come. I don't want to go through another off season where our consolation prize is a Hibbert caliber player 
ohwell.gif

The guy hasn't played basketball for awhile now due to injuries. All that rust and age is going to take him like a year to get into a groove again. By then he'll be another year old and will get even worse. I just don't know if his alpha trait will allow him to participate in a league in which he won't even be a top 25 player and actually be ok with it. 

Last edited:

hey pmatic..can you post this article for me?

I saw shaq on it and I would love to read this piece

thanks bud!

http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/stor...n-iverson-compare-recent-baseball-hall-famers

Two weeks ago, the Baseball Hall of Fame inducted four players  into Cooperstown, which got me thinking:

Who are the NBA equivalents of these baseball greats?

This is the sort of question you come up with in the summer months while you're searching for ways to scratch the NBA itch. For me, it wasn't totally random. As a student of sabermetrics coming out of college in 2008, I broke into the sports industry by breaking down the numbers of baseball. In 2009, I switched over to the NBA in which the line of statistical analysts was far shorter. If you could call it a line at all.

As a kid, I grew up watching Randy JohnsonPedro MartinezJohn Smoltz  and Craig Biggio, the museum's four most recent call-ups. This round hit particularly close to home. I'm a Red Sox fan who grew up outside of New York City. Martinez was and still is a hero of mine, a leader of the 2004 Red Sox squad that finally won it all and brought my Boston-bred father to tears.

In the spirit of August NBA writing, let's bridge baseball and basketball to identify the cross-sport comps of this year's Hall of Fame inductees. To be clear, this doesn't exactly follow a scientific method, but rest assured I did loads of research to pick each of my favorite NBA comps. Indeed, statistical accomplishments weighed heavily as well as their more qualitative characteristics.

But this is more art than science. Disagree? Good. This is supposed to be fun.

Let's get to it.
[h2]The NBA's Randy Johnson: Shaquille O'Neal[/h2]
I almost went with monster-lefty David Robinson  or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar(another freakishly tall iron man), but here's why Shaq is the NBA's Randy Johnson.

1. Sheer size

Duh. As far as human beings go, O'Neal and Johnson checked in as physical outliers. Shaq stood 7-foot-1 and weighed in well more than 300 pounds (probably closer to 350 at times), but moved around the court like a springy forward in his prime. In a sport of giants, no one could hang with him.

On the mound, Johnson made opposing hitters look like Little Leaguers. Standing at 6-10, Johnson often had a full foot on his opponents who trembled in the batter's box. Johnson's sweeping left hand seemed to cross home plate as he flung his delivery, leaving hitters flailing like a blindfolded child swinging at a piñata. There's a reason they were called The Big Aristotle and The Big Unit.

2. Dominance quantified: strikeouts and dunks

What made O'Neal and Johnson so unique isn't that they were enormous but that they both successfully leveraged their size to complete physical dominance. It took Johnson a while before he honed in his unhittable fastball and slider combination, but he finished his career with the second-most strikeouts in MLB history (4,875) and the highest strikeout-per-nine-inning ratio (10.61). In 2001, the season in which Johnson won the World Series with the Arizona Diamondbacks, he struck out 372 batters, a total that hadn't been reached in more than 30 years.

O'Neal did the NBA equivalent: he dunked all over everybody and everything. Dunks have been tracked officially only since 1997, which leaves out Shaq's first four seasons. But even still, he registered 2,665 dunks since 1997, which is about 500 dunks more than the next most-proliferous dunker on record (Dwight Howard's 2,148). In fact, during the three-peat seasons with the Lakers between 2000 and 2002, Shaq dunked 746 times; no one else had more than 400. Johnson and Shaq dominated at the same time.

3. Starred for multiple teams over long careers

Big uniforms, big personalities. Johnson and O'Neal moved around a bunch in their sport. Johnson played for six teams over his 22-year career, earning Cy Young awards in both the American League (Seattle Mariners) and National League (Arizona Diamondbacks). Unlike Smoltz, there's some debate over which hat Johnson should have worn in the Hall of Fame (he ended up wearing a snake over the nautical compass).

After being drafted No. 1 overall by Orlando, Shaq experienced similar changes of scenery over his 18-year career. He won three consecutive titles in LakerLand before taking his talents to Miami, where he won his fourth and final ring. O'Neal spent a season and a half in Phoenix, which is probably the equivalent of Johnson's pitstop with the Houston Astros  for a summer. Like Johnson withCurt Schilling, Shaq won the big one as part of a Big Two (Kobe Bryant  in Los Angeles and Dwyane Wade  in Miami).

Last edited:
Long article on Hibbert...

Source:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13382086/roy-hibbert-looking-career-resurgence-los-angeles-lakers

Y'all on this thread can stay optimistic and keep telling yourselves "Decent pick up and low risk, high reward"

But IMHO this dude is going to be just as bad or even WORSE than the Kwame Brown experiment back in 05-06 to 07-08 :smh:

What's even worse is the serious lack of depth we have at the 5 if this dude gets hurts or has some kind of mental slump again.We rollin with Black, Sacre, and Upshaw as his back up's :lol: :smh:

Last edited:
Black is a decent player. If he grows another step, he's no worse than Jordan Hill when Jordan Hill played as Jordan Hill, or Ed Davis.
Upshaw would have been a lottery pick if for 2 things 1. He wasn't a knucklehead in college 2. He didn't have a red flag on his medical for a heart thing that ended up being a false alarm.

Yeah yeah he looked slow in Summer League. The guy didn't play basketball for almost 6 months in that capacity. It takes time to get back to playing mentality.

And it's not being optimistic. It's going based on what he has produced.

And what he has produced is being one of the 4 or 5 best rim protectors in the league for a few years straight.

A change of scenery is what he needed more than anything. He could be a let down, but even then, our defense in the interior would still be vastly better with Hibbert than it was last year.

Last edited:
Have the protections on the second rounder that was sent to the Pacers been released yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom