[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
His first year at the helm in Orlando, Doc Rivers led a team predicted by most to finish near or at the bottom of the league that included four starters who were not drafted. Rivers guided the team to a 41-41 record and was named the 1999-2000 NBA Coach-of-the-Year

Rivers =/= D'antoni

take a look at the roster. besides wes, who else on the team could be noted as an avg defender?

You guys keep missing the point. THE ROSTER SUCKS. We know this. MDA has NEVER made defense a point of emphasis regardless of the personnel he had. PHX was all about 7 sec or less, the Knicks disaster and the past two seasons with us. It's never apparent that his teams have any idea on what to do on that end. That's the problem, we won't get back to parades only focusing on offense, it's never happened in league history, is that so hard to understand?

Just doing a quick glance, the highest his team has ever finished in defensive efficiency was 16th in 2006-2007. Just average at best with Matrix in his prime as a defensive player, it's never been his expertise or even worry, you going to tell me that roster sucked as well? Hell we were better defensively with Smush, Luke, and Chris Mihm starting that year.

Last edited:

His first year at the helm in Orlando, Doc Rivers led a team predicted by most to finish near or at the bottom of the league that included four starters who were not drafted. Rivers guided the team to a 41-41 record and was named the 1999-2000 NBA Coach-of-the-Year
Rivers =/= D'antoni
umm....

In 2002, D'Antoni made his return to the NBA as a Phoenix Suns assistant. In 2003, he was hired with 61 games left in the season as the head coach of the Phoenix Suns[sup][2][/sup]  and, despite leading the team to a poor record in the second half of the year, he received a vote of confidence for producing inspired play from an injury riddled team. With the acquisition of free agent Steve Nash  before the 2004-05 season, who was experienced in a run-and-gun  style from his previous stint with the Dallas Mavericks, this began an incredible turnaround for the Phoenix Suns. Nash excelled running D'Antoni's pick-and-roll  offense.[sup][3][/sup]  D'Antoni won the NBA Coach of the Year Award  after his Suns went 62–20 to finish first in the regular season

seaman, you cannot be serious with that. at all

unless you are trying to prove LTB's point. in that case, awesome job.

Last edited:
well if the roster sucks, then whats the point of firing mda now?

Who the hell is saying fire him today?
We know that serves no purpose.
But we don't want him here when we do get better talent.

And we have to keep repeating 1000 times we KNOW THE ROSTER IS HORRIBLE.

Jesus, so much for a stress less day :lol:

I keep hearing this Mike D needs to go talk...
I completely agree might I add

But I still haven't seen anyone in here give a
list of realistic coaching options that could implement a system that could be championship successful for years to come

Until then this discussion is pointless

seaman, you cannot be serious with that. at all

unless you are trying to prove LTB's point. in that case, awesome job.
won COTY? check

early in his career? check

team did better than expected? check

how are you going to bring that up about doc rivers as a way to say that hes better than dantoni?

MDA's COTY award was just about as legit as Nash's 2nd MVP award.

If you truly believe deep down that Nash deserved that 2nd MVP, then okay continue and believe MDA's a great coach.

At the end of the day Nash made him.
And ironically Nash is going to end his career.

Ouch :lol:

jesus you guys will argue any damn thing :lol:

the whole point was that MDA needs perfect players. he won coty with nash, jj, amare, marion, barbosa etc....

doc won coty with 4 starters that were undrafted. he's proven he can win with bums and is capable of managing egos well enough to win a chip.

doc has proven himself in any circumstances. mda just has excuses. stop comparing the two

so what makes dantoni's COTY award not legit?

they got nash who was an above average pg at best, nothing to write home about

expected to be a mid tier team in the west

ended up 62-20

33 more wins than last year

nash suddenly starts playing like an MVP (like how every other pg he has coached suddenly starts playing great)

well if the roster sucks, then whats the point of firing mda now?
But we don't want him here when we do get better talent.
which imo, is not the smartest thing to do. give the man a better roster and let's see what he can do. if it doesn't pan out, then you can look at your coach

See this is why I mess with you gtb.
Even if we're not quite on the same side here, you at least present a calm reasonable train of thought which is not easy to disagree with.

I wouldn't mind seeing what he does next year considering I DONT want us to waste more money on coaches while he's under contract.
Do I want him here? Nope! But if he stays what can I say? It's not like we're going to be championship ready by next season right? Plus...

We're already in a crappy financial situation. :smh:
Already paying part of Mike browns contract still... And then we'd be paying MDA PLUS another coach if he's fired? UGH :x

Friday gtb > all other days.

Last edited:
bruh...you have to either be trolling or an idiot if you don't get the point. if you want to keep arguing that's cool, but at least cede obviously lost points so you don't look like a jackass

jesus you guys will argue any damn thing
laugh.gif

the whole point was that MDA needs perfect players. he won coty with nash, jj, amare, marion, barbosa etc....

doc won coty with 4 starters that were undrafted. he's proven he can win with bums and is capable of managing egos well enough to win a chip.

doc has proven himself in any circumstances. mda just has excuses. stop comparing the two
so almost making the playoffs but not quite is "winning with bums"?

dantoni needs to just change his name like MWP did, people see "mike dantoni" and blame everything on him

pmatic pmatic , just one question.

Are the players not supposed to be playing hard when they're all playing for contracts?

Even if Rck was the coach you don't think they'd still be playing hard considering they don't have a guaranteed spot on an nba roster next year?

I guess that's 2 questions.

You'd have to be a complete idiot not to play hard when millions of dollars on the line. No matter the coach.

I mean, after all... Like CP said, Pau's meaningless stats are only happening because the trade deadline passed and now he's playing for a contract. And he's clearly not a MDA guy.

Can't it be the same for the rest? Serious.

Okay, so it was 3 questions... Sue me :lol:
Valid point.

But in comparison to Brown, he is miles ahead to me in player relations (which happens to probably be his biggest weakness).

bruh...you have to either be trolling or an idiot if you don't get the point. if you want to keep arguing that's cool, but at least cede obviously lost points so you don't look like a jackass
what are lost points?

dantoni gets his players to play hard "its a contract year, nothing to do with dantoni"

brad stephens gets his players to play hard "hes a great coach look at how hard the celtics are playing!"

dantoni wins COTY early in his career "its the players! he got carried by nash! he didnt really earn that COTY"

doc rivers wins COTY early in his career "he carried those scrubs to almost making the playoffs, 41-41 proves that he can win with scrubs so he must be a good coach"

dantoni cant get pau gasol and kendall marshall to defend the pick and roll "mike doesnt care about defense, these guys look clueless out there"

phil jackson cant get pau gasol and fish to defen the pick and roll "pau sucks at D, fisher couldnt defend a traffic cone"

the double standard in here is ridiculous, if you're going to blame mike dantoni for something then blame other coaches for doing the same thing too.

pmatic pmatic , just one question.

Are the players not supposed to be playing hard when they're all playing for contracts?

Even if Rck was the coach you don't think they'd still be playing hard considering they don't have a guaranteed spot on an nba roster next year?

I guess that's 2 questions.

You'd have to be a complete idiot not to play hard when millions of dollars on the line. No matter the coach.

I mean, after all... Like CP said, Pau's meaningless stats are only happening because the trade deadline passed and now he's playing for a contract. And he's clearly not a MDA guy.

Can't it be the same for the rest? Serious.

Okay, so it was 3 questions... Sue me :lol:
Valid point.

But in comparison to Brown, he is miles ahead to me in player relations (which happens to probably be his biggest weakness).

There's no disagreement there. I'm not
Comparing him to mike
Brown at all. I'm just saying.

CP says BUT WE WON IN PORTLAND JUST 2 NIGHTS AGO!

We'll... Yeah? And? Forgive me but didn't the 2 time defending champions lose to the SIXERS in the first week of the season? Didn't we nearly beat the THUNDER? Don't teams take the pedal off the metal some nights? Don't they get complacent? Doesn't Portland have a habit of playing down to competition this season on many occasions?

Haven't we always done the same? Don't the heat? Do fluky wins not ever happen in this game? :lol:

I'm just sayin how are we going to use ONE WIN as validation of great coaching... But we can't use the other 40 horrendous losses as validation of MEDIOCRE coaching?

So when we beat Portland... Man MDA what a coaching performance. He had us playing hard!

When we lose by 50 to the clippers? :lol: it was just a statement by the clips, even Phil couldn't help us. Don't blame Mike for the roster :lol:

C'mon mannnnnn :lol:

sea manup sea manup really talkin double standards bro? :lol:

What I just pointed out is the biggest double standard in this whole argument...

Last edited:
Yes the roster is terrible, but when rivers actually had "perfect players" for his system he won a chip. MDA didn't

But anyway, no point to fire him right now. Finish off this tank season, maybe keep him around next year as well until we can get a decent roster.

Just let him hold us over this rebuild phase.

Mike D'Antoni is the only coach in NBA history to have beaten Phil Jackson in the playoffs twice.

What was the reason?

Talent.

So when I read "Mike isn't a fit with THIS team" And this team has garbage talent, IE, a bunch of players we don't really want to have main roles when we are good again, then why the need to get rid of the coach?

Get rid of the players
Get better players

And the coach starts winning.

Just like Doc in 2008.
Pop in 1997
Phil Jackson in 2008.

Etc etc.

Everyone and their go-to Mike never won a title. :lol:

Nevermind that Stern took a title away from them. Pay that no mind. I guess Stern never took CP3 away from us either. :lol:

no one was talking about mdas coaching when we beat portland

it was only after people came in crying about last nights loss that it was brought up

no one here says dantoni is an all time great coach, but hes better than a lot of other coaches

if you cry about a 50 point loss and blame it on dantoni you have to expect that someone will counter that with an example where dantoni coached the team to a win

that doesnt meant that that person only notices dantonis coaching when he does something good, it means that that person is reminding you to look at the bigger picture

Back
Top Bottom