[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
Mike D'Antoni is the only coach in NBA history to have beaten Phil Jackson in the playoffs twice.

What was the reason?

Talent.

So when I read "Mike isn't a fit with THIS team" And this team has garbage talent, IE, a bunch of players we don't really want to have main roles when we are good again, then why the need to get rid of the coach?

Get rid of the players
Get better players

And the coach starts winning.

Just like Doc in 2008.
Pop in 1997
Phil Jackson in 2008.

Etc etc.

Winning games or winning titles, cause that's what the other guys have done that he hasn't. Or hasn't even sniffed. Phil was winning games with Kobe and a bunch of scrubs.

Yes the roster is terrible, but when rivers actually had "perfect players" for his system he won a chip. MDA didn't

But anyway, no point to fire him right now. Finish off this tank season, maybe keep him around next year as well until we can get a decent roster.

Just let him hold us over this rebuild phase.
This is a very flawed stance to take. We all want championships, but only one can be handed per year. How many coaches have won championshps the last 30 years? Put everything in context, and it all makes sense.

Minus whale dig up Red Auerbach's corpse and hire him.

Edit:

I'm sure more excuses will come for MDA next year to... But honestly would you guys be really upset if they fired MDA before next season?
No, probably not. In fact, I'm almost positive he'll be fired sometime in 2015.

Last edited:
I'm sure more excuses will come for MDA next year to... But honestly would you guys be really upset if they fired MDA before next season?

Mike D'Antoni is the only coach in NBA history to have beaten Phil Jackson in the playoffs twice.

What was the reason?

Talent.

So when I read "Mike isn't a fit with THIS team" And this team has garbage talent, IE, a bunch of players we don't really want to have main roles when we are good again, then why the need to get rid of the coach?

Get rid of the players
Get better players

And the coach starts winning.

Just like Doc in 2008.
Pop in 1997
Phil Jackson in 2008.

Etc etc.
Winning games or winning titles, cause that's what the other guys have done that he hasn't. Or hasn't even sniffed. Phil was winning games with Kobe and a bunch of scrubs.
but dont lakers fans always say things like "kobe should have won mvp that year, take him away from that team and they would have won 12 games max"

isnt this year pretty much that year without kobe?

if you cry about a 50 point loss and blame it on dantoni

You make sense. But this comment right here alone proves that you still don't get our perspective.

That comment just shows you think all were doing is blaming how horrible we were last night on MDA solely. As if it's not anyone else's fault but his.

Until you realize that we've mentioned 4007373 times the NBDL roster talent is not his fault, we'll just keep going back in circles bro.

I've already explained thoroughly what my stance is but you keep hanging on to your perception of our thoughts that is completely inaccurate.

We'll get no where that way.

Everyone and their go-to Mike never won a title. :lol:

Nevermind that Stern took a title away from them. Pay that no mind. I guess Stern never took CP3 away from us either. :lol:

There's always ifs, no guarantee they beat the Spurs if Amare played. Hell if Kwame could have grabbed a rebound they would have lost to us in 2006, a team that had no reason being up 3-1 on them in the 1st place.

You make sense. But this comment right here alone proves that you still don't get our perspective.

That comment just shows you think all were doing is blaming how horrible we were last night on MDA solely. As if it's not anyone else's fault but his.

Until you realize that we've mentioned 4007373 times the NBDL roster talent is not his fault, we'll just keep going back in circles bro.

I've already explained thoroughly what my stance is but you keep hanging on to your perception of our thoughts that is completely inaccurate.

so lets go with he was one of the many reasons why we lost yesterday

so that would be blaming not just dantoni but also a bunch of other factors

then if we are going with that line of thinking then why is it hard to credit a bunch of other factors AND dantoni for our players playing hard or the win at portland

Ugggggh all this retro arguing about carp in the past that's settles nothing ...this is all pointless people

If we really desire to argue can we at least argue about progressive matters.

What people should really be worried about in here is who is the coach that replaces Mike D. That should be the conversation. The Future

Everyone and their go-to Mike never won a title. :lol:

Nevermind that Stern took a title away from them. Pay that no mind. I guess Stern never took CP3 away from us either. :lol:

There's always ifs, no guarantee they beat the Spurs if Amare played. Hell if Kwame could have grabbed a rebound they would have lost to us in 2006, a team that had no reason being up 3-1 on them in the 1st place.

That's fine, they would have lost in 06.

But in 07 they had the lead, and HC to finish the deal, and Stern took Amare + Diaw away.

If that happened to us, don't even tell me Laker fans wouldn't riot. :lol:

Ugggggh all this retro arguing about carp in the past that's settles nothing ...this is all pointless people

If we really desire to argue can we at least argue about progressive matters.

What people should really be worried about in here is who is the coach that replaces Mike D. That should be the conversation. The Future

No one out there is better than Mike.

Stick with who we already have. Let the process play out. Pray Mitch lands talent.

so lets go with he was one of the many reasons why we lost yesterday

so that would be blaming not just dantoni but also a bunch of other factors
then if we are going with that line of thinking then why is it hard to credit a bunch of other factors AND dantoni for our players playing hard or the win at portland

C CP1708 sea manup sea manup

Listen. I'll break this down one more time thoroughly and concisely.

It's not hard to go with that line of thinking.
Now were getting somewhere.

I'm not that one minded of a person to only believe he is a detriment but does no good. I've pointed out a LOT how great of an offensive basketball mind he is. I am AWARE that many coaches have looked at a lot of his systems and used many of his thoughts to influence their own teams. I am aware he can draw up some amazing plays out of time outs. I am aware he can be a great coach for a point guard offensively.

I acknowledge there is many good things about MDA. He's not completely horrible, and he's certainly not the worst coach we've had. Not even close.

But I state numerous times as much of a genius as he can occasionally be offensively, as an overall HEAD COACH I do not think of him too highly.

All I've ever wanted from you guys is to be just as fair and admit that he has his flaws. Because I've been fair and admitted the things he's great at.

But the flaws never get taken into account for you and cp, and there's always somehow an excuse for why he's never been a great defensive coach.

If you wanna talk double standards just think about it. Don't worry about the others who may be completely one sided, talk to me.

I'm open.
I see both sides, I see pros and cons.

I've pointed out his pros from my eyes, all I ever want from you is to point out the cons.

To ME, the cons of him as a HEAD COACH outweigh the pros. That's just to me.
And I state it.

But at least I can acknowledge he'd be an AMAZING offensive assistant just as he is for Coach K with team USA.

He just can't take talent to an overall next level on both sides of the court (not talking about this season, just speaking in general). That's my perception.

Even if you don't agree with me.
Is my view an ignorant or completely flawed stance to have? Is it unfair?

I mean am I really being a hypocrite?

I hope you get me now. Because
I don't think I can ever explain things any more calmly and thoroughly.

Last edited:
The year Mike "should" have won the title, in 2007, the Suns were 13th in the NBA in Defense.

As many of you make fun of me for pointing out, that is WITHOUT Deng, Rondo, or Gortat on the roster. Picks that were sold, that happen to be decent defensive players.

So 13th in the NBA, with 3 guys not available to help out as well. Could they have bumped up to 12, 11, 10????

And that is with the #1 offense in the NBA that year.

for the record, I would like to see D'Antoni get a fair chance with the Lakers and think we can win despite his flaws. but no point in having a discussion when guys are just focused on trying to be right instead of coming up with ideas

No one out there is better than Mike Pau.

Stick with who we already have. Let the process play out. Pray Mitch lands talent.

Last edited:
for the record, I would like to see D'Antoni get a fair chance with the Lakers and think we can win despite his flaws. but no point in having a discussion when guys are just focused on trying to be right instead of coming up with ideas

PREACH!!!!

Oh dear GOD

We're back at square one and the Suns selling picks that were gortat rondo and deng

as if the suns would have picked those players, or that the players would have become what that they are now.

No one out there is better than Mike Pau.

umm theres this kevin love guy who's pretty good

the pace of his offense dictated the result of his defense in PHX and they still managed to hover near the avg mark.

with last year/this years team, the pace has definitely slowed down to cater to post players. when we started this season, the offense was ran through pau. but what happened when the second unit came in and played 'his' offense? one of the best benches in the league.

umm theres this kevin love guy who's pretty good
see what I mean
laugh.gif
. dudes just love arguing for no damn reason
you say get pau

i say why do that when we can get love (who is better)

why the hell would we want to resign pau when there is a better option just around the corner

love is a free agent this summer? you know exactly what I'm talking about. unless something drastic happens Pau is the best option on the market (for the right price only)

love is a free agent this summer? you know exactly what I'm talking about. unless something drastic happens Pau is the best option on the market (for the right price only)
hes a free agent next summer

if we sign pau it wont be for a one year contract, so after next year klove is a free agent and because we have pau under contract he will get in the way of signing love

we are not winning a title next year, there is no point in paying for the best option on the market when he might hold us back in the future

That's fine, they would have lost in 06.

But in 07 they had the lead, and HC to finish the deal, and Stern took Amare + Diaw away.

If that happened to us, don't even tell me Laker fans wouldn't riot. :lol:

We would, just like we did when Stern vetoed the CP3 trade, but it doesn't change the fact that it happened. He didn't get it done in 05, 06, 07, 08 bowing out earlier and earlier in the playoffs.

I'm just confused as to what makes everyone so confident that any coach that focuses on one side of the floor can lead us to the promised land.

Back
Top Bottom