[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
My bad, my bad, I was wrong......

It was 2 First rounders, and 2 second rounders, and only 27 million dollars, not 30. My bad.

Nevermind, great trade then.

100 times out of 100 you make the Nash trade. Every team in the NBA who needed a PG would have done it.

I will give you a second chance to rethink this.

100 times out of a 100 times, you give up FOUR draft picks and 27 million dollars for a 38 year old?

Please, adjust your numbers. I was thinkin somethin like 1 out of a 100. You could talk me into 2 out of a 100 if you're nice.

Last edited:
It's what the fans called for.

You guys crying about Ramon saying we need a PG was why it was done.

Oh? They were listening then? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why the hell they listen to that **** and not listen to us DEMAND a lottery pick in the top 3-4, or my numerous demands for us to get under the repeater tax?

But half a dozen picks and a brinks truck for a 38 year old, and he pulls that ****** trigger? ****. :lol:

in retrospect, that nash trade is horrible. but with a team consisting of kobe, pau, dwight we really weren't expecting those picks to be anything more than late firsts.

it was a gamble and it ultimately back fired. i can't blame them for betting big to win big.

Look, I don't hate Nash as much as I hated his fans back in the day.

I'm truly sorry he got hurt with us and it's affected his last years in the NBA. He's a good dude, I know he is. He works hard, absolute professional. Hope he goes into coaching or something someday and stays a part of the NBA, I truly do.

We trade, FOUR, picks, for a 38 year old player. 38.

That's like trading for Derek Fisher tomorrow.

Or Kevin Garnett.

FOUR picks.

And I haven't even spoke on the 10 million dollar cap hit he'll represent when we are trying to recover next year, ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR the fact that we actually have 2 decent young PG's on the roster, AND, AND, here we are lookin at draftin a stud 18 year old PG.

**** man.

The Steve Nash trade is about the worst thing we've done in 25+ years. It is a complete, utter, failure. It covers everything. Loss of picks. Cap space. Hinders young talent behind him. Hell, could we argue Steve being here caused them to hire Mike D'Antoni over Phil?

God damn........ :smh:

in retrospect, that nash trade is horrible. but with a team consisting of kobe, pau, dwight we really weren't expecting those picks to be anything more than late firsts.

it was a gamble and it ultimately back fired. i can't blame them for betting big to win big.

I do understand the belief for late 1's, duly noted.

4 picks, 38 years old.
30 million dollars.

AND, we had no assurance that Dwight was staying, hence, if he bailed, we'd have no out for the final 2 years, and oh look, that's what went down. Now, we're left with no out. (unless we take 3 years to pay for his last year, and yet still don't get our picks back, unless.......................................................we tank, for real)

And as we can all see, Mitch is great at tanking. :smh:

Not sure what the lakers are doing but this thread is definitely not tanking any of the same old arguments from preseason :lol:

giphy.gif

Every day.

Last edited:
CP all of this is now HINDSIGHT.. HINDSIGHT is always 20/20, Yes of course, now we can all say that we should have just let it go and kept Sessions. But you can never have your hindsight in the moment.

2nd round picks are whatever, no one should be worried about second round picks. Yes, they are a cheap source. But so are the countless numbers of guys who flame out after a couple of years (see most of our roster).

The outlook of this team (with Dwight, because that was always the outlook, and the outlook with which the Steve Nash deal was comprised):

1. We don't have any cap space to sign a premium PG. We won't have any cap space for the next two years, 3 if Dwight stays, and Kobe comes back. So we're always going to have a hole at PG, and at best trying to plug it with a veteran's minimum or diverting the mini-MLE for it, when we had multiple holes to fill
2. We'll have an elite 2Guard, and elite Big Man.. So our picks in the first were at best of minimal value, AT THE TIME. If you saw the first rounder, and 2nd rounder already selected from the trade, it's MEH so far.
3. Nash was still playing All-Star level. The window was closing for Kobe & Pau. So we had a couple of years to maximize it.

Again, HINDSIGHT. In hindsight, we should have stuck with Ramon Sessions. But, we made a move that was done for a franchise with a core that had a closing window, and to optimize the chances of getting something before that window was to close.

Last edited:
Should have jumped into the Rockets-Raptors trade, taking in Lowry, sending Nash to the Raptors, Dragic to the Suns and the Raptors lotto pick (Adams) to the Rockets.

But alas.

2 of the picks from the Nash trade have already been drafted:

#30: Nemanja Nedovic
#57: Alex Oriakhi

Those 2 picks were worthless.

Last edited:
There is going to be an argument about how the lakers would have picked different guys and/or there was still some talent left on the board.

this will snowball into a debate about the importance of draft picks and spiral back into pro vs anti tank nuclear war leading into game time

If the lakers win or look like they might win or are winning at any point during the game, there will be the same sequence of events in reverse

With mathematical precision :lol:

There is going to be an argument about how the lakers would have picked different guys and/or there was still some talent left on the board.

this will snowball into a debate about the importance of draft picks and spiral back into pro vs anti tank nuclear war leading into game time

If the lakers win or look like they might win or are winning at any point during the game, there will be the same sequence of events in reverse

With mathematical precision :lol:

Likely.

But if you look at the 2013 draft. The best player taken after 24 was Ryan Kelly. Talent in that draft was depleted quick with a few sprinkles in teens picks and early 20s

Last edited:
Ryan Kelly has had maybe the most opportunity of any player selected after 24, I like Nedovic, Pierre Jackson, Gobert, and Mccallum but none of them have had a chance to play nearly as much as Kelly.

I think toney Douglas is another traded pick from before. Not sure but maybe Patrick Beverly as well. Those are the only notable traded picks off the top of my head

Back
Top Bottom