[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
laugh.gif
 BMW killing this poll.

NT gonna NT.

What is the repeater tax? It's a clause in the new collective bargaining agreement that raises the luxury tax rate for teams that are serial tax payers. It doesn't actually go into effect until 2014-15 as a penalty, but what teams do now affects whether they'll be on the hook then. Basically, if you exceed the tax threshold in three out of the previous four seasons, you're on the hook for the higher tax if you exceed the threshold again. The "clock" began last year. The first year of the repeater tax is in 2014-15. Only teams that have been taxpayers in 2011-12, 2012-13 and 2013-14 will pay it. In 2015-16, teams that have paid the tax in three out of four of those seasons will pay repeater tax. Then 2011-12 falls off. And so it goes.

Here's an example. Let's assume the luxury tax threshold rises to $75 million by 2014-15. Let's say a team like the Lakers has a payroll of $95 million -- $20 million over the threshold. If they were not repeater, their total tax payment would be $45 million, and their total payroll would be $140 million. If they were a repeater, their total tax payment would be $65 million, and their total payroll would be $160 million.

[COLOR=#red]Any teams under the threshold last season doesn't need to worry about the repeater tax in 2014-15. But they do need to worry about 2015-16 -- crossing the line this season, even if they were under last year, would force them to dip back under in one of the next two seasons to avoid a 15-16 repeater hit. So when you hear reporters talk about teams wanting to avoid "starting the repeater clock," this is what they're referring to. If you're close to the line and can reasonably get or stay under, it makes long-term sense to do so. It could prevent having to make tough decisions down the line[/COLOR].

•Miami: The Heat are $15 million over the tax line. So long as the team has the Big Three, they will be paying the tax. They may hit a total payroll including tax of about $150 million in 2014-15, if the superstars all opt in. The repeater tax was built to punish teams like the Heat for being so good.

•L.A. Lakers: See Heat, Miami. No chance they avoid the repeater tax so long as Kobe Bryant is making $30 million a year.

So, to recap all this for some people. What have we done (we being Mitch) Again, I, CP, used to be a big big Mitch supporter. And then I started noticing things go astray, post CP3. Trading for Nash, selling off Draft picks, etc. And I learned my lesson, stop backing Mitch. Pretty sure I've made this part clear. But for those that INSIST on backing Mitch, and being a blind Laker homer, let us recap.

We have ONE draft pick forever. So, clearly, we should ENHANCE that pick, and maximize it as best we can, correct?

We have one, very aging star, who has a major injury, and what do we do? We give him a TON of money. Doing what?????? Hindering our Luxury Repeater Tax clock.

We have a couple aging vets, expiring deals, NOT in our long term plans, and we have chance to sell them, enhance our draft pick, AND reset our clock, not to even mention we could bring in a 25 year old SF that we could keep, or let walk, PLUS 2 second round picks, in a deep draft. And we did???????

So, we didn't reset the repeater clock. We gave a boat load of money to a washed up star. We trade so many draft picks I can't even count them. And instead of protecting the biggest asset we could possibly have, we're ******* around winning games against the Celtics, Kings, and Jazz, teams we need to be ahead of when the lottery comes in May.

Oh, and while the Heat pay the repeater tax while winning titles. We drown at the bottom of the NBA, and still pay the same tax, cuz.......... I HAVE NO ******* IDEA WHY!!!!!!!!!!!

So yeah, banner year for Mitch right now. Just swell. All he has to do now is draft a PF (with the 2 biggest upcoming FA's being PF's in 2015 in LMA and Love therefore nullifying the draft pick), sign Melo to a huge contract, and re-sign another aging washed up player in Pau Gasol.

If those things happen, NT will have it's first live suicide right here in the Lakers thread. :lol:

I'm familiar with that article on the repeater tax. at the end of the day it comes down to a team being willing/able to pay, it's not "crippling" in the sense that it ties your hands, it just penalizes you severely.

like it said in the article, the repeater tax was a formality as soon as kobe was extended. so to cry about it now because they didn't dump jordan hill makes no sense.

Nobody expects the Lakers to have a problem with paying the luxury tax. But I should clarify what I meant; the repeater tax is different. If it's staring down on the Lakers in the future, it might make them blink a little more than before, even with the TWC deal. I'm not sure the exact numbers, but it could be devastating.

That's why it could matter to the fanbase. It might not be the Lakers paying the taxes out of pocket, no difference to us fans. It might actually have an impact on their decisions.

CP's point: why risk that with this lost year, when the Lakers can free themselves of that?

CP's point: why risk that with this lost year, when the Lakers can free themselves of that?

Thank you

Last edited:
Nobody expects the Lakers to have a problem with paying the luxury tax. But I should clarify what I meant; the repeater tax is different. If it's staring down on the Lakers in the future, it might make them blink a little more than before, even with the TWC deal. I'm not sure the exact numbers, but it could be devastating.

That's why it could matter to the fanbase. It might not be the Lakers paying the taxes out of pocket, no difference to us fans. It might actually have an impact on their decisions.

Exactly.

If a time comes we're good again, and we can trade for a marginal player that would help us, deepen our bench, fill a role, and has a 5 million dollar contract, but it costs us 45 million by doing it, what would the result be?

They'd pass.

Because nobody would want to spend 45 million dollars for a 5 million dollar guy, on the off chance that he could help win a title, when you feel you're already close enough as is.

Take away the tax, and repeater tax more specifically, and you take on that 5 million dollar salary without batting an eye, and improve your team.

How people can't grasp these facts are seriously disturbing. All in the interest of making Mitch look good? Or the Lakers look smarter than they really are? :smh:

Unbelievable.

Last edited:
so basically the tax would make the Lakers hesitate to sign/trade for someone like Nick Young.....

:nerd:

Last edited:
a team like the nets who like to blow money as much as we do could have gotten jordan hill but backed out partly because it would have cost them 17 mil

Alright not sure if others asked this but if Lakers get a top 5 pick, and Cavs offer us Kyrie, would you guys do it?
Part of me says no because he's injury prone

Last edited:
Alright not sure if others asked this but if Lakers get a top 5 pick, and Cavs offer us Kyrie, would you guys do it?

NO!!

Kyrie is older, and costs much more than a rookie contract 19-20 year old would.

Last edited:
ask them what they would do with that top 5 pick

convince them to pick a random player that would have otherwise gone 15-20

convince them that that guy is going to end up being jordan hill

sign and trade jordan hill for kyrie

Okay serious draft question

If we do get the number 1 pick overall and lets say Magic or Philly really really really want Jabari or Wiggins and they offer us their 2 first round picks.
(Magic - 3rd and 13th pick ) or (Philly 2nd and 11th pick) Would you guys do it?

If we do get the number 1 pick overall and lets say Magic or Philly really really really want Jabari or Wiggins and they offer us their 2 first round picks.
(Magic - 3rd and 13th pick ) or (Philly 2nd and 11th pick) Would you guys do it?
hell yes

then i'd use that second pick to leverage k love or irving out of the hell holes they are in.

Yes. I would take either deal.

Can still get an Elite at 2-3, and get an additional solid prospect at 11-13.

2nd and 11th pick would be nice. So hell yeah, I would do it in a heartbeat. Magic's 3rd and 13th would be nice as well.

We need to build for the future. We gotta face it but we ARE NOT in win-now mode anymore.

Last edited:
i dont think they would ever do that if they were 2-3

but if they were really unlucky and had the 4-5th picks... 
nerd.gif

i dont think they would ever do that if they were 2-3

but if they were really unlucky and had the 4-5th picks... :nerd:

Praying Philly gets unlucky and gets the 5th or 6th pick. Silver should punish them for tanking!

Whats the report on Tyler Ennis?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom