[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
it is funny to me that pau has been involved in trade talks EVERY single offseason/trade deadline and he's still here :lol:

like, this **** has been going on for years

I haven't even been watching lately. It's less stressful if I see the highlights from the team death matches on ESPN. I can't say I'm mad Blake is gone. I asked for it for years.

I don't get why everyone thinks it's a lock that pau will leave. Dude is like a battered wife. All the lakers have to do is tell him "I want you back" and it's a done deal

kobeee.gif

This thread is almost unbearable.

People having breakdowns because we didn't Kaman, Pau, and Hill.

We going to get a good pick, and we are going to have a ton of contract money off the books.

What exactly would you guys do?

Lay out the blueprint that is better than Mitch's?

I want to hear, in all honesty, i'm curious what super power moves everyone has in mind.

Because honestly, what better option do we have than getting rid of all these 1 year contracts, signing Gasol for cheap, and bringing in a good pick, and then going all out in 2015?

Pls respond.

Well said and exactly how I feel right now.

You just got to remember man Laker fans here on NT, LG, CL and all over the world want a IMMEDIATE fix NOW !

The new CBA really was specifically designed to basically SCREW the Lakers HARD because most of the smaller market teams complained so much.

Believe me when I say in the future you won't see teams be able to pull off what the Heat did a few years back with Lebron, Wade, and Bosh.

Last edited:
Why on Earth would ANYONE want to resign Pau Gasol????????

That has to be jokes. :smh:

The guy has not played well for 4 years, we are finally out from under his contract, now we wanna just bring him back to suck some more?!?!?!?

34 years old.
36-37 year old Kobe.
40-41 year old Nash

Extend them????????????????

What in the ******* what?

:lol:

People want to keep Pau, keep Nick Young, bring back Kobe, watch Nash not retire, throw in a top 5 pick, and we'll just shoot up the standings!!! :smh:

Yeah, totally happening. Purchase those playoff tickets early, along with that ocean front property in downtown Detroit. :smh:

Anyone else???? Should we locate Smush and bring him back?
What about Luke Walton????

Hell, you all hate D'antoni, let's get Mike Brown back, Del Harris, maybe?????

What has happened to you guys? Serious, this is getting out of hand. If you want to trust Mitch, ok. Jim Buss, I understand where you comin from. But now we just sit back and accept being the laughingstock of the NBA, and rather than demand improvement, we gon sit around and "well, we can just bring Pau back, yeah, that'll make us better, sure."
"Ya know, Nick scores buckets, let's keep him around."

Hell, we can keep this entire roster now, and suck just as bad next year. Know what we can do then?????? Resign Pau and Swaggy again!!!!!!!!! Yaaaaaayyyyyy

:smh:

What a nightmare. And half our fanbase thinks everything is just fine. Just have to lock up the guy that's wasted the past four years and insert one lonely draft pick and everything will be fine. :smh:

Ugh.

Bruh it aint about what I want, what you want or what any of us want. It's about what the front office is actually doing. Take the pacifier out your mouth and get that in your head. They are going to try to keep Pau unless they can make a come up with a sign and trade. That is simply the truth

Last edited:
Fairly pointless to play along with Mitch anymore, lord knows he's just gonna sell tickets with Kobe for two more years, and we all know why........

I'm lookin at two scenarios that Mitch will ignore, or get lucked into.

First won't happen....

Land #4-5, draft Exum.
Sign Monroe and Lance.
If they wanna get crazy, try to pry Chandler Parsons on a RFA (Monroe is too). Looooooong odds on all 3 really.

But,
Exum
Lance
Kobe
??? or Parsons
Monroe

Farmar, Marshall
X
Young
Wes, Kelly
Sacre

No real defense outside Lance, little bit of Wes, and maybe Exum turns into one.
Not elite, but young, improved, better ceilings, and if you don't pull Parsons, make the play for Love a year later.
If lucky, Exum is so good, players start wanting to be here to play next to him. (Again, ceiling)
Overall, close enough core in the Kobe, LO, Bynum, Ariza mode where 1-2 moves might jump you.

Again, Mitch will do none of that.

Next option, blind luck.

Mitch listens to some of these dudes, resigns Pau for no ******* reason, Kobe comes back, Top 5 pick is __ solid, learning, etc, Swaggy, Nash, blah blah blah.

We suck again, but not as bad, so rather than tanking/bottoming out, we win 30-35 games, meaning our pick would go to Phoenix and still no playoffs.

Then, Adam Silver.

In a stunning move, new commish knows he can't have flagship franchise dying a slow death, kicks us up from the 12th pick (which should go to Phoenix) into the lottery at #3. ( can't be too obvious with the #1 or anything)

Now we have 2 top 5 picks, back to back years, say PG and a new Center.
Sign Kevin Love at PF, finish out Kobe's career and 25 million dollar joke of a contract, which leads too..............

2016 and Kevin Durant.

Mitch tries to sell KD on young PG + C, Love, city, legacy, help us win titles, Kobe shadow gone, etc.

All we need is Adam Silver, frozen envelope, and cheap OKC owners and Mitch can make this happen.

But first, we have to resign Pau Gasol, cuz......I have no ******* idea why.

I know what Mitch said at the presser today. But I think it's pretty much a given that Pau's Laker career has 29 games left and that's it.

Just looking at it from Pau's side, he's not gonna come back unless he has security, against coming up in trade rumors 3x a year. I'm talking several years type security.

Probably way off base anything Mitch will be offering.

I'm sure Mitch is actually open to keeping him at the right price (value and like 1 or 2 years - something tradeable) and Pau will not be too keen.

Last edited:
This is Pau's last contract, he's not gonna get more than 3 years from anybody. Lakers will likely offer 2, maybe even give him a poison pill if they really can't find a better option. Pau is the soft sentimental type. He is a rare type that puts being comfortable over money and rings. he even said he would rather win gold with spain than get another ring. His relationship with Kobe and the laker franchise is valuable to him. I can't see him going anywhere besides la or Memphis

He is a rare type that puts being comfortable over money and rings.

And you can tell whenever the latest trade rumors swirl, he gets really uncomfortable.

Mitch isn't gonna give him the type of deal he gave Kobe - the "Laker for life" one - and Pau's not gonna come back to this for anything less than that feeling. I'm pretty sure about that.

Memphis is a pretty good guess as to where he'll go.

But a team looking for a vet for a push - Thunder, Heat even - will come calling and he'll listen to that too.

Last edited:
If they don't get bron/melo/lance/deng (they won't) who else is there that will command big money like that in the 14-15 season? Front load his contract making him impossible to trade for at least one season. Won't affect other signings because there won't be anyone to sign but bench players. After that anything goes.

Or trade him and the pick for a good but not necessarily ideal move.

Or he walks to Memphis.

Is this my dream scenario? No. But I think it is feasible with what seems to be going on

Why on Earth would ANYONE want to resign Pau Gasol????????

That has to be jokes. :smh:

The guy has not played well for 4 years, we are finally out from under his contract, now we wanna just bring him back to suck some more?!?!?!?

34 years old.
36-37 year old Kobe.
40-41 year old Nash

Extend them????????????????

What in the ******* what?

:lol:

People want to keep Pau, keep Nick Young, bring back Kobe, watch Nash not retire, throw in a top 5 pick, and we'll just shoot up the standings!!! :smh:

Yeah, totally happening. Purchase those playoff tickets early, along with that ocean front property in downtown Detroit. :smh:

Anyone else???? Should we locate Smush and bring him back?
What about Luke Walton????

Hell, you all hate D'antoni, let's get Mike Brown back, Del Harris, maybe?????

What has happened to you guys? Serious, this is getting out of hand. If you want to trust Mitch, ok. Jim Buss, I understand where you comin from. But now we just sit back and accept being the laughingstock of the NBA, and rather than demand improvement, we gon sit around and "well, we can just bring Pau back, yeah, that'll make us better, sure."
"Ya know, Nick scores buckets, let's keep him around."

Hell, we can keep this entire roster now, and suck just as bad next year. Know what we can do then?????? Resign Pau and Swaggy again!!!!!!!!! Yaaaaaayyyyyy

:smh:

What a nightmare. And half our fanbase thinks everything is just fine. Just have to lock up the guy that's wasted the past four years and insert one lonely draft pick and everything will be fine. :smh:

Ugh.

I hear and undrstand your frustration bro.

But at the same time we can't just turn into the Knicks of the west coast and sign B grade superstars just for the sake of signing a superstar and get stuck with another bad contract when the franchise situation right now is getting out from our current bad contracts (Pau & Nash).

Going after and signing Melo this summer if he opts out would be a HUGE mistake.

2015's free agent class is better.

The Lakers need to make the right choice this summer with their high lottery pick and then go after Kevin Love in the summer of 2015 or Durant in 2016.

Last edited:
If they don't get bron/melo/lance/deng (they won't) who else is there that will command big money like that in the 14-15 season? Front load his contract making him impossible to trade for at least one season. Won't affect other signings because there won't be anyone to sign but bench players. After that anything goes.

Or trade him and the pick for a good but not necessarily ideal move.

Or he walks to Memphis.

Is this my dream scenario? No. But I think it is feasible with what seems to be going on

I just don't think Mitch is gonna bend over backwards finding ways to keep Pau. He's just not worth it anymore.

He's a Laker great and a friend of Kobe's... that might get him a small take-it-or-leave-it offer (opposed to nothing), and that would even be a giant courtesy. But the talent is fading fast; the Lakers aren't gonna sink money into him simply based on his past or fan service or as a courtesy when they can just keep the cap space open.

Cap space can be useful for a number of things, not just pursuing big money types like Bron.

I agree they likely won't go all out to sign Pau, the poison pill was just one option that still leaves them some flexibility in 15-16. Pau, kaman, hill all potentially gone...they are gonna need a big man. If Joel is there when the lakers pick then pau is gone, no question. Draft him, sign Ariza/Lowry and keep love's seat warm. If it's exum then you go maybe Ariza/pau. There are only like 5 realistic free agent targets who aren't already on the roster. We won't really know too much about potential moves until the draft, then we'll have more clarity

Last edited:
@brosales12 22m
"We have our pick right now...which...uhm...[pause]...is a valuable pick...in a draft that right now looks like a good draft."

@brosales12 11m
"We don't think that we're going to use our cap money [this summer] to patch together a team."

1A: Kobe Bryant
1B:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7: Jordan Farmar
8: Jodie Meeks
9: Nick Young
10: Xavier Henry or Wes Johnson
11: Kendall Marshall
12: Robert Sacre
13: Ryan Kelly
14: Kent Bazemore or MarShon Brooks

7-14: Cost $13,862,221 (Kent, Ryan, Bobby, Kendall are cheap, they'll be back = $3.96.. A combo of Farmar, Meeks, Young, Wes/X = $9.9mil). Worst case, Meeks & Young price themselves out of our range, and we go with Wes & X, and save probably about $3mil. I think Meeks is someone you definitely need back, but if he's over $3mil it isn't worth it.
Kobe: $23,500,000
Go big and say we get the #1 pick: $4,592,0000

For 10 players we're at $41,954,221. Assuming Nash retires.

From my estimation at that point, we'd be 3 starters (positions vary, based on who we draft), and a backup big short. If we go SF,PF or C in the draft, you could always move Jordan Farmar into the starting lineup, and split time with Kendall Marshall. That isn't as big of a liability as it sounds.

Last edited:
I'm not sure Farmar-Marshall gets you anywhere in three years, but for next season alone it should be fine.

Last edited:
Parsons is a RFA next year? Rockets salary for 2015 is 71 Million.
If the Lakers or any other team for that matter offers Parsons 12million, can the rockets even match it?
If Lakers sign Parsons and sinces he's a RFA how many draft picks do the Lakers have to surrender to the Rockets? Or does that not apply since Parsons was a 2nd round pick?

Back
Top Bottom