[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
But how were they backed into a corner when it was them that sought out Nash? They willingly gave up what they gave up to get him.

Had to get a PG.

Wanted Dwight. But if they didn't get him it was Kobe, Pau & Bynum.

That wasn't winning titles anymore, that's why they went after CP3 before the season.

Tried Sessions, didn't work out as the starter.

Other than Dwight for Bynum, there were no other moves to make over the next couple of years that would theoretically bring us closer to a title.

Last edited:
I read your initial post incorrectly.

Agreed with your stance. Though I'm more forgiving of Nash.

Quote:
Management doesn't trade for Nash, doesn't give up picks, doesn't give him that contract... IF they were not backed into a corner.

End of story.

The reason he got that deal was he had a bigger money deal set up with Toronto. If we didn't desperately need the name, we aren't in the market for him, and Steve Nash is a Toronto Raptor.
We didn't "desperately" need his name. He came off an great year with Phoenix and unfortunately the worst case scenario happened when he broke his leg. It wasn't a bad deal at the time unless you could predict the future.

A win-win scenario for Nash and the Lakers is that he files for medical retirement with the league cause of the nerve issue. The league ok's it, Nash gets the money owed to him, and it doesn't count towards the salary cap helping the Lakers out.
If I'm not mistaken, the Lakers can't do this anymore because Nash has played in 10 games. This is the only way I could envision Nash retiring to help the Lakers, but at the same time I don't blame him for trying to come back.

Last edited:
Lakers are 6-21 since the Kobe injury. Including 2 stretches of 6 losses in a row, and 1 stretch of 7 losses in a row.

Poll should be how many wins will the Lakers end up with? Go from 22-32. Currently 18-34. Anything over 28 wins seems absolutely far-fetched.

Last edited:
I like Steve the person. He's one of the good ones on this planet.

I don't give a flying **** about him as a player currently. Simmons is dead on, to me, his name is 9.3 and 9.7

That's who he is to me.

Kobe ain't even Kobe anymore. He's old man Kobe, or 48 million, either way, he's not Kobe.

Unrelated, **** you Simmons, I see you trying to push Nash to staying and clogging up Laker cap space another year. You aren't fooling anybody **** head. :smh:

Lakers are 6-21 since the Kobe injury. Including 2 stretches of 6 losses in a row, and 1 stretch of 7 losses in a row.
We are better without Kobe tho, remember? These stats mean nothing to me.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Nah, bruh... if we lose games that I complain about because I feel Kobe played a certain type of way and you respond with "Injuries! New guys not knowing the system!", then I damn sure get to say "6-21? Injuries! New guys not knowing the system!"

Not even you man, I know your feel on Kobe, and I get it.

I'm talkin to the masses that were tryna spin anti Kobe all over the internet.

Your beliefs on Kobe are fair and valid. Don't mean I feel the same, but I get your angle. You don't agree with my belief of him either, but you do at least see my reasoning on his benefits vs a Shaq or whomever, so no worries, I was not referring to you on this one.

My dude L2B. 
laugh.gif

Put the gas can away, man.

And the matches, actually.

Yes, the firewood, too. 
laugh.gif

if it is not celtics related, simmons cool with me

shrugs
i like simmons, but dude is biased when it comes down to the lakers...magic will co-sign that

dude cant take criticism, i read a comment on youtube that none of his articles have a comment section. every other article/writer does but his. 

Last edited:
What did Simmons say? Lol.

He's a renowned Celtics homer so that automatically makes him hate on the Lakers. Other then that, I think he's an overall good writer

^^thats why.....I used to read his articles rather loosely. But then once I heard him on the set...I knew more so what hes about.....

Simmons and Rick Reilly...

Id rather be down with plaschke.

cmon son.

blame the front office for the deal he got.

dont blame him for living, hes a bball player, hes under contract, hes trying to do his job. 

if that was you, youd be doing the same thing.

its human nature, to try. 

one day it'll be gone

if at the end of the year he says he cant go, just give him the stretch provision

take it as an l, at least the organization tried. 
All this.  

Sometimes I wonder if people really get how much these guys love the game. The stuff Nash has had to go through, that's beyond Kobe-level work ethic.

Obviously it'd be better financially for him to hang it up but I'm not about to tell that man to give up.

We do not want to stretch provision him tho. That only prolongs his wasted affect on the roster.

3 million dollars 3 years from now could be the difference between us bein a nice playoff team, and us having 2-3 extra veteran Haslems-Battiers-Birdmans type role guys.

Bit the 9.7 million dollar bullet next year (we won't be winning a title next year anyways) and then fill his void in 2015 with Love + ?????

Or roll the space over to 2016 on top of Kobe's albatross contract goin away.

I liked the idea of the stretch last year, before I saw how depleted our roster got too and will continue to be goin into next season.

Pray he retires, if he doesn't, eat the 9.7 all at once. No stretch provision.

cmon son.

blame the front office for the deal he got.

dont blame him for living, hes a bball player, hes under contract, hes trying to do his job.

if that was you, youd be doing the same thing.

its human nature, to try.

one day it'll be gone

if at the end of the year he says he cant go, just give him the stretch provision

take it as an l, at least the organization tried.
All this.

Sometimes I wonder if people really get how much these guys love the game. The stuff Nash has had to go through, that's beyond Kobe-level work ethic.

Obviously it'd be better financially for him to hang it up but I'm not about to tell that man to give up.

WORK ETHIC

A story about Kobe Bryant, as told by a professional trainer who worked with Bryant this past Summer, for the Olympics:

I’ve been a professional athletic trainer for about 16 years and have been able to work with a range of athletes from the high school to professional level. Right now I run in a clinic in Cincinnati and have most recently been training with some players on the Bengals.

I activated my reddit account just a moment ago and because I’ve been seeing the videos of Kobe’s most recent dunks and the comments you guys have had to share I decided I might as well chime in what I know about the man. And let me just state by saying that this story doesn’t touch on anything we don’t know about Kobe but rather that he simply is not human when he is working on his craft.

I was invited to Las Vegas this past Summer to help Team USA with their conditioning before they head off to London, and as we know they would eventually bring home the Gold (USA). I’ve had the opportunity to work with Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade in the past but this would be my first interaction with Kobe. We first met three days before the first scrimmage, on the day of the first practice, early July. It was a brief conversation where we talked about conditioning, where he would like to be by the end of the Summer, and we talked a little bit about the hustle of the Select Team. Then he got my number and I let him know that if he ever wanted some extra training he could hit me up any time.

The night before the first scrimmage I remember I was just watched “Casablanca” for the first time and it was about 3:30 AM. I lay in bed, slowly fading away when I hear my cell ring. It was Kobe. I nervously picked up.

"Hey, uhh Rob, I hope I’m not disturbing anything right?"

"Uhh no, what’s up Kob?"

"Just wondering if you could just help me out with some conditioning work, that’s all."

I checked my clock. 4:15 AM.

"Yeah sure, I’ll see you in the facility in a bit."

It took me about twenty minutes to get my gear and out of the hotel. When I arrived and opened the room to the main practice floor I saw Kobe. Alone. He was drenched in sweat as if he had just taken a swim. It wasn’t even 5AM.

We did some conditioning work for the next hour and fifteen minutes. Then we entered the weight room, where he would do a multitude of strength training exercises for the next 45 minutes. After that we parted ways and he went back to the practice floor to shoot. I went back to the hotel and crashed. Wow.

I was expected to be at the floor again at about 11 AM. I woke up feeling sleepy, drowsy, and almost pretty much every side effect of sleep deprivation. Thanks, Kobe. I had a bagel and headed to the practice facility.

This next part I remember very vividly. All the Team USA players were there, feeling good for the first scrimmage. LeBron was talking to Carmelo if I remember correctly and Coach Krzyzewski was trying to explain something to Kevin Durant. On the right side of the practice facility was Kobe by himself shooting jumpers. And this is how our next conversation went — I went over to him, patted him on the back and said, “Good work this morning.”

"Huh?"

"Like, the conditioning. Good work."

"Oh. Yeah, thanks Rob. I really appreciate it."

"So when did you finish?"

"Finish what?"

"Getting your shots up. What time did you leave the facility?"

"Oh just now. I wanted 800 makes so yeah, just now."

My jaw dropped. Mother of holy God. It was then that I realized that there’s no surprise to why he’s been as effective as he was last season. Every story about his dedication, every quote that he’s said about hard work all came together and hit me like a train. It’s no surprise to me now that he’s dunking on players ten years younger than him and it wasn’t a surprise to me earlier this year when he led the league in scoring.

Thanks for reading and allowing me to share you my Kobe Bryant story. If anyone has any questions I can clarify. Sorry if the story was at all hard to follow as this is my first time on reddit.

Rob.

http://gotemcoach.com/post/44739341040/work-ethic-a-story-about-kobe-bryant-as-told-by

When you have players, GMs, coaches, critics, journalists and whomever else solidifying and praising his work ethic, you know dat boy on another level.

http://www.businessinsider.com/17-examples-of-kobe-bryants-insane-work-ethic-2013-8?op=1

kobe_bryant_skalij10.jpg

Back
Top Bottom