[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
Chris Paul is 6-0
Ty Lawson is 5-11

This kid is 5-11.

John Stockton survived in an even tougher era with shorts that cut off circulation.

If Carson can play, he can play.

Last edited:
chris paul is arguably the most skilled player in the NBA and ty lawson is nothing more than a decent roll player if put on a championship team

IMO unless we get a top PG (rondo), i would rather get a bigger PG that can play D and hit 3s rather than someone tiny.

I will admit that I have a strong bias against undersized players though hate watching lawson play, didnt like watching iverson, CP has 0% chance of winning a title on a team where he is the best player

Lawson would also be the best PG we've had since Magic, so....

Again, get a top 7-8 pick, we don't have this convo. 13-14, well...... :lol:

I like bigger guards as well, but like I said, if the kid can play, the kid can play.

Wes has all the measurables in the world, he ain't very good tho. Jordan Hill don't have all the tools, but he gets the job done. *shrugs*

If they can play, they can play.

Nothin on the shorts/circulation tho? A giggle, chuckle, nothin?

Tough room.
mean.gif
i had a "must have sucked when you had both the shorts AND a belt to cut off your circulation back in your college days" comment lined up but i figured i would let it slide 

but yeah i see your point, going back to your older post. if this guy can is good enough to put up 12-6 as a PG i would take him + drummond over bledsoe and random rookie big man X.

if i could sandbox a championship team i would go with the lebron/kobe type player as the primary ball handler and have the PG just defend and shoot 3s. But like you said, if he can play he can play and we should take what we can get.

I watch Carson play a lot, and dude is legit.  I'd rather Exum but Carson is an aggressive finisher at the cup and is basically fearless...he's not super confident in his 3 Pt shot but can do just about everything else on offense.

Nice of Carson to do well. :pimp:

Kemba, Lawson and Isiah Thomas should help Carson's case. I've been a proponent of drafting as high as possible, but if he's there in the middle of the first round, maybe trade back and pick up another asset or two?

LOL I thought Kobe was going to have to take a paycut in order to stay a Laker? I swear that's all I heard on here from some of you guys. Like I said before, Kobe is and always going to retire a Laker and be payed handsomely.

Kobe took over a 20% paycut.  this deal is well-deserved and the Lakers are fine bros.

ya'll forgot the 3Billion dollar TV deal with TWC??

That's 150mil for the next 20yrs just on that contract alone. Lakers will be fine paying the 1:1 Luxury Tax.

Also, Gilbert Arenas making 22mil....smh.  Kobe deserves the 24mil

Let me ask the question that no one wants to answer: what's the harm in letting Kobe walk? His legacy???

jim buss would not be able to leave his home.

Grab Love and Westbrook and call it a decade.

do it mitch.

i havent seen any post in regards to how much kobe actually takes home. after taxes its like 12 milli. lebron still makes more as does wade. that has to play some sort of factor.

Kobe took over a 20% paycut.  this deal is well-deserved and the Lakers are fine bros.

That's 150mil for the next 20yrs just on that contract alone. Lakers will be fine paying the 1:1 Luxury Tax.

Luxury tax isn't 1:1 anymore bud. But yea if they're willing to spend then this won't be as detrimental, but I could have sworn even with the deal last year the Busses are trying to be more financially conscious.

I'm wondering why they didn't offer like $30-35 mil at the beginning, maybe Mamba would have accepted that as well. You know he doesn't want to go anywhere else, so why bid against yourselves?

And it doesn't affect our ability to get another max player this summer. But it damn sure hinders us from getting the subsequent role players to surround these guys and build an effective team that can seriously contend. I don't see everybody clamoring to take paycuts to come to LA like they've done in Miami especially with the tax situation in California. Unless Pau comes back for the minimum. We bascially would have to bring back all of the young guys at their current salaries or lesser salaries to make this work.

Last edited:
Mitch talked to the media on Twitter:

On Kobe Bryant:

@MarkG_Medina

Mitch Kupchak on giving Kobe two-year extension worth $48 million: "I don't think its any doubt we'll play in this league at a high level."

@Mike_Bresnahan

Kupchak on Kobe extension: "The uncertainty of [next] summer is behind us now. We know we have Kobe in the fold this year and 2 more years."

@Mike_Bresnahan

Mitch says Lakers can judge Kobe contract extension in two years. "Maybe we got a deal. Maybe we didn't."

@LakersReporter

Mitch Kupchak on re-signing Bryant: “It’s been our intent all along. You started your career as a Laker … and end as a Laker.”

@LakersReporter

Asked if this was a business as much as a hoops decision, Kupchak said that every decision involves both. That’s how Dr. Buss operated.

On Pau:

@MarkG_Medina

Mitch on Pau extension: "We have not had any discussions with Pau."

@Mike_Bresnahan

Mitch on discussing extenstion for Pau: "I'm sure I will. Where that leads, I'm not sure right now."

On Free Agency:

@MarkG_Medina

Mitch on if Lakers have enough financial flexibility to build a championship roster around Kobe: "Yes. I believe we can."

‏@LakersReporter

Kupchak acknowledged “challenges” to building a team that could win a title with Kobe in next 2 years, but said “I think we do” have that opportunity.

@HowardBeck

Do Lakers have enough cap flexibility to build contender around Kobe? "I think we do," Kupchak says. But adds, "The challenges are there."

Kobe Bryant on $48.5 million contract extension: 'This wasn't a negotiation'

Between his signature on a two-year, $48.5 million contract extension and a cross-country flight to the East Coast on Monday, Kobe Bryant was left befuddled and bemused by those who declared him greedy and uncaring about chasing championships.

"This was easy," Bryant told Yahoo Sports on Monday night. "This wasn't a negotiation. The Lakers made their offer with cap and building a great team in mind while still taking care of me as a player.

"I simply agreed to the offer."

Until the hours before the Lakers' meeting with the Washington Wizards on Tuesday, that's all Bryant would say about the contract extension. He is 35 years old, working his way back from a torn Achilles and the Buss family is still betting Bryant is the best free-agent star available on the market, betting that Bryant can still drive ticket sales and TV ratings and make these Lakers relevant again.

In this basketball universe, that's what a max player does for a big-market franchise. The late Lakers owner, Jerry Buss, was always brutally honest about the value of his superstar players – so much more so than his ownership peers. Once, Buss told Bryant he believed he was worth $60 million to $70 million a year to the Lakers.

With Bryant's deal – which will pay him $23.5 million and $25 million in 2015 and '16, respectively – the Lakers have room to recruit a max player this summer, and only Bryant's contract is still on the books for the summer of 2016.

Make no mistake: There's little chance a max player willing to change teams will be available to the Lakers this summer. LeBron James is never coming to the Lakers, and Carmelo Anthony is unlikely to turn down the $130 million available to him in New York. This might be a summer of signing less-than-superstar players, with next year turning into the Lakers' big play on the market.
In the end, NBA owners created the perfect system to underpay and turn the public against its greatest revenue-producing players. Nowhere else but the NBA do the best players have a limit on the salaries paid to them, and nowhere else but the NBA do the best players have such an impact on winning and TV deals and ticket sales.

The owners wanted this system and, truth be told, superstars would be foolhardy to let the NBA rig everything to make them take even less. Deposed NBPA executive director Billy Hunter gave back everything in collective bargaining over the years, and the stars driving the league are supposed to give back even more? It's the Lakers' job to work within the framework of the CBA now, take their massive revenue, their natural recruiting advantages in L.A., and rebuild this team again.

San Antonio's Tim Duncan did take a three-year, $30 million-plus deal late in his career, but he does play for the San Antonio Spurs. Different market, different revenue streams for Spurs owner Peter Holt. When Duncan made the choice to play his entire career in a small market, there were sacrifices he had to make. The Spurs were willing to pay him far more than the deal he accepted in 2012, but management showed him a specific plan to keep the group they had together and how his savings could help them bring on more players within the franchise's financial framework.

The Lakers had a vision for the future, too, and they sold Bryant on its execution with him remaining the highest-paid player in the NBA. That's a superstar's job: Work with the organization, partner in a plan and trust in the track record.

Rest assured, the Lakers are making the leap of faith on what kind of a player Bryant will be upon his return soon, but doctors have convinced them his Achilles is strong again, sturdy, and that Bryant will be Bryant again. The Lakers laid out a plan, made him his offer and Kobe Bryant was exactly right when he told Yahoo Sports on Monday night: "This was easy."

Source:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--k...l---this-wasn-t-a-negotiation--020919237.html

chamooooon mitch

You are quick to forget about Mitch's proven track record of making blockbuster trades in the past.

Those don't happen "just because"

Maybe they seem like blockbusters because the Lakers always get the bigger name, but they involve the Lakers giving up valuable pieces and assets that have been built up.

But to think "we're the Lakers, he's Mitch Kupchak, a blockbuster trade can happen at any time" is arrogant.

If you want a blockbuster trade the Lakers have to build some semblance of valuable pieces they can swap, and that can take a few years given the fact they traded away a lot of their picks.

Think the Knicks for Melo, or the Celtics for KG. Those were mostly young assets who developed value (young assets they drafted...). Even our Pau trade was centered around similar assets (Crittenton, Marc, and draft picks)... the Mitch magic just came into play when he convinced them to take those assets before they ever showed any real value.

The salary cap is the same for every team bros. Doesn't matter how much more the Lakers make than the Bobcats. They hit the salary cap threshold just the same, and get shackled with all the limitations in building a roster (ie not being able to add players beyond the minimum) just the same.

Last edited:
Kobe Bryant on $48.5 million contract extension: 'This wasn't a negotiation'
Between his signature on a two-year, $48.5 million contract extension and a cross-country flight to the East Coast on Monday, Kobe Bryant was left befuddled and bemused by those who declared him greedy and uncaring about chasing championships.

"This was easy," Bryant told Yahoo Sports on Monday night. "This wasn't a negotiation. The Lakers made their offer with cap and building a great team in mind while still taking care of me as a player.

"I simply agreed to the offer."

Until the hours before the Lakers' meeting with the Washington Wizards on Tuesday, that's all Bryant would say about the contract extension. He is 35 years old, working his way back from a torn Achilles and the Buss family is still betting Bryant is the best free-agent star available on the market, betting that Bryant can still drive ticket sales and TV ratings and make these Lakers relevant again.

In this basketball universe, that's what a max player does for a big-market franchise. The late Lakers owner, Jerry Buss, was always brutally honest about the value of his superstar players – so much more so than his ownership peers. Once, Buss told Bryant he believed he was worth $60 million to $70 million a year to the Lakers.

With Bryant's deal – which will pay him $23.5 million and $25 million in 2015 and '16, respectively – the Lakers have room to recruit a max player this summer, and only Bryant's contract is still on the books for the summer of 2016.

Make no mistake: There's little chance a max player willing to change teams will be available to the Lakers this summer. LeBron James is never coming to the Lakers, and Carmelo Anthony is unlikely to turn down the $130 million available to him in New York. This might be a summer of signing less-than-superstar players, with next year turning into the Lakers' big play on the market.
In the end, NBA owners created the perfect system to underpay and turn the public against its greatest revenue-producing players. Nowhere else but the NBA do the best players have a limit on the salaries paid to them, and nowhere else but the NBA do the best players have such an impact on winning and TV deals and ticket sales.

The owners wanted this system and, truth be told, superstars would be foolhardy to let the NBA rig everything to make them take even less. Deposed NBPA executive director Billy Hunter gave back everything in collective bargaining over the years, and the stars driving the league are supposed to give back even more? It's the Lakers' job to work within the framework of the CBA now, take their massive revenue, their natural recruiting advantages in L.A., and rebuild this team again.

San Antonio's Tim Duncan did take a three-year, $30 million-plus deal late in his career, but he does play for the San Antonio Spurs. Different market, different revenue streams for Spurs owner Peter Holt. When Duncan made the choice to play his entire career in a small market, there were sacrifices he had to make. The Spurs were willing to pay him far more than the deal he accepted in 2012, but management showed him a specific plan to keep the group they had together and how his savings could help them bring on more players within the franchise's financial framework.

The Lakers had a vision for the future, too, and they sold Bryant on its execution with him remaining the highest-paid player in the NBA. That's a superstar's job: Work with the organization, partner in a plan and trust in the track record.

Rest assured, the Lakers are making the leap of faith on what kind of a player Bryant will be upon his return soon, but doctors have convinced them his Achilles is strong again, sturdy, and that Bryant will be Bryant again. The Lakers laid out a plan, made him his offer and Kobe Bryant was exactly right when he told Yahoo Sports on Monday night: "This was easy."
Source:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--k...l---this-wasn-t-a-negotiation--020919237.html

Those don't happen "just because"

Maybe they seem like blockbusters because the Lakers always get the bigger name, but they involve the Lakers giving up valuable pieces and assets that have been built up.

But to think "we're the Lakers, he's Mitch Kupchak, a blockbuster trade can happen at any time" is arrogant.

If you want a blockbuster trade the Lakers have to build some semblance of valuable pieces they can swap, and that can take a few years given the fact they traded away a lot of their picks.

Think the Knicks for Melo, or the Celtics for KG. Those were mostly young assets who developed value (young assets they drafted...). Even our Pau trade was centered around similar assets (Crittenton, Marc, and draft picks)... the Mitch magic just came into play when he convinced them to take those assets before they ever showed any real value.

Wrong !

The Pau trade was built around the Grizzles getting salary cap relief.Which is what they got at the time.Hell Mitch even threw in Aaron Mckie who wasn't even on the active roster at the time but he had an expiring contract.Kwame Brown's contract at the time was a $9 million expiring contact also when that trade went down.

Javaris Crittenton was a late 1st round pick in the mid to early 20's the year he came out.Marc Gasol was a unproven guy they got in the 2nd round who took 3 years to even become an allstar talent in the NBA.

The D12 trade they gave up Bynum who was a lottery pick at #10 the year he came out.But everyone knew he was damaged goods and once again Orlando got what they wanted in expiring contracts and some young talent who weren't even lottery draft picks.And once again Bynum had an expiring contract worth $14 million.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom