[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
if i had to choose to be pau or blake id be pau...

atleast pau has a hot girfriend. blake prolly gets by with a blow up doll, two foam cups, a sock, and a 2 liter soda bottle...

atleast pau has a hot girfriend. blake prolly gets by with a blow up doll, two foam cups, a sock, and a 2 liter soda bottle...
why would you spend money on a blow up doll when little kids are free on the streets

Hey guys, Marcus Smart had 39 points, 4 rebounds/assists, 5 steals and 2 blocks tonight.

#LetsGetThat8thSeedTho

Actually if I remember correctly, Blake's wife isn't too shabby

Edit: But Pau is/was with some Spanish chick, right?

Last edited:
Here we go again with that 8th seed nonsense smh.

Some Dudes still don't get it.

*kanye shrug*
Oh well.

Last edited:
looks like Kobe is ALOT further along than he is putting on in those practice clips
teammates still standing around watching when he has the ball on offense.

Curious if this was the only long break we had but looking at schedule we have another one in 2 weeks (Dec 2-5) http://www.nba.com/lakers/multimedia/1314_schedule_infographic

Concurrently, It is offset by the number of B2B we have, 19. Chalk those B2Bs as automatic Ls, no big deal. :lol:
:smokin

little-leager-not-paying-attention-baseball-fail-gifs.gif

looks like Kobe is ALOT further along than he is putting on in those practice clips
teammates still standing around watching when he has the ball on offense.
Players like Iverson, Kobe, Melo... it's weird that they are consistently on teams that stand around. Weird. Must be just totally random selection that people consistently analyze their games and say things like "There's just no movement," "The spacing is just terrible," and "Everyone is just standing around watching him."

But people like CP3, Magic, even pre-Lakers Nash... they're just lucky enough to always find theirselves on teams with good spacing, with players that move around frequently. Just.. lucky. Gotta be luck.

Three responses I'm expecting:

"But since it's practice, I'm sure Kobe's not even chucking like that, man. Fall back." To which I which I would respond, "People know who he is. I'm sure practice a month ago was much more fluid than yesterday's. Yes, just like that."

"Is that all you do? I don't like what you're saying. Shut up!" To which I would respond, "Yeeeeaaaahno," but probably with a few more words than that.

(specifically expecting this one from CP) "Nash, Magic, and CP3 are... PGs. Their JOB is to pass. Iverson, Kobe, Melo are... SCORERS. Their JOB is to score. It's not their JOB to pass." To which I would respond... again... "It's EVERYONE'S job to pass, keep the ball moving."

Last edited:
Teams with elite PG's have great passing and spacing? Worrrrd?

But Kobe, Iverson, Melo, and MJ never played in offenses with elite PG's????

So strange the differences there.

Do team with elite Centers like Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson usually get a lot of rebounds? Wonder how that happens.

Just so weird.

Shout out to ska for providing us with an engaging new discussion topic.

in class right now but ill respond when I get back

Everyone's job to defend? Yes.

But 'defend' is a general term; 'pass' is not. 'Pass' is a specific action; 'defend' is not.

defensive rebounding = defending

block = defending

deflect = defending

doing your assignment = defending

Bunch of ways to defend.

How many ways are there to apply 'passing'?
pass with left hand = passing

pass with right hand = passing

pass with both hands = passing

'S about it. 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Kobe gets 5 assists a game. 17 years.

Shaq, Duncan, Malone, Dream, David, all 3 per game.
"It's everyone's job to pass".

Kobe passes more than those guys do. Try a new angle, that one was pointless.

Hey, *points to lynchpin*, he's the one pointing out everyone standing around. 
laugh.gif
 All I'm doing is connecting the dots. Every team Iverson was on... EVEN GEORGETOWN... I remember people saying "Not enough ball movement. People standing around." Ditto w/ Melo. JUST HEARD an analyst talking about this last night, talking about the Knicks woes. "Everyone is just watching him." Heard that WORD FOR WORD.

And now lynchpin. "People just standing still."

Weird, I keep hearing that about the teammates of the same types of people.

You're right, must be total coincidence.

And the narrative about how many dimes he gets doesn't portray the passes he DOESN'T make, and the effect those 'not attempted' passes have. He whips it inside, dude dunks it: assist. He's on the baseline, double teamed, sees a 3rd person come over and he turns around and chucks a fadeaway... no stat for that ill-advised shot. He makes it, stadium goes bananas. He misses, nothing. Just a missed FGA. But make or miss, his teammates... well I can't tell what they're thinking, but I know they're standing still, and I have to think that shots like that cause that lack of movement.

Last edited:
Nobody stood around Shaq backing into the paint, kick out, dump back in, repeat, possession after possession?

What was Shaq, Magic Johnson out there?

Hakeem had 4 guys behind the 3 point line, he got the ball, did his moves, if he got stuck he kicked it out.

What're we doin here?

So you go with narratives, so it must be true then? The Bulls never stood around and watched Mike? You for real right here?

No one stands around and watches LeBron? Really? His Cavs never stood around? The 2011 Finals wasn't a bunch of standing around?

But Mike, Shaq, and Bron are "giving passers", and Kobe isn't. He's Melo and Iverson. :lol:

Sure

Why does the blame get placed on kobe though? It's not like he has his team under a spell and commands them to stand still when he's holding the ball.

how about we blame the other players that are totally capable of moving without the ball but would rather just stand around and watch kobe

OK, amendment to the narrative I've been spitting about "It's everyone's job to pass": if you're going to DOMINATE the freaking league, you're exempt. 
laugh.gif
 Not just 'win scoring titles', but hold the league hostage. Not just 'Climb up the leaderboard of basketball statistics', but DOMINATE.

Thanks to sea manup in the NBA thread, I see that today is an anniversary of a 28 boards and 15 blocks statline from Shaq. If you're getting 28 boards and 15 blocks on top of 20= pts, you're good with passing, at least in my book. You dominate like THAT, you're clearly frustrating the hell out of the opponent. Clearly.

P.S. You have no idea how many days you just made by telling someone "Oh, because you said it, it must be true?" L2B, denni5, etc: You're welcome. 

Why does the blame get placed on kobe though? It's not like he has his team under a spell and commands them to stand still when he's holding the ball.

how about we blame the other players that are totally capable of moving without the ball but would rather just stand around and watch kobe
Responses like these just automatically make me wonder if the person making it plays basketball consistently at all. And obviously you're not the first person to say "They can move. It ain't HIS fault," and you won't be the last.

But lettuce be cereal: when you're playing, and there's this dude who constantly chucks, you're not moving as much anymore. Period. Even that stretch last seaon when Kobe was going ham and came damn close to averaging a triple-double for that stretch, you could separate those games and compare them to any other game of the season, and see a marked difference in player mobility. HE... not Nash... HE... is the face of our franchise, and when people were seeing that he was making an OBVIOUS and INTENTIONAL effort to spread the floor through facilitating, it had an undeniably positive, infectious effect.

Last edited:
Players/Teams are about strengths.

You have Magic, you build weapons around his strength, passing.

You have Shaq, you build shooters around him, give him space.

Kobe takes care of the offense, you get him bigs for rebounds, and versatile Lamar Odom types.

Lamar can do a little of everything, but dominate nothing. Remember that? Everyone would FUME when he was the #2 guy, but as a #3-4, he was tremendous.

Steve Nash, elite PG (per you) Give him Shaq, one of the ten best players in history, and they couldn't work together AT ALL. Clog each others space.

Nash plays better with CHANNING FRYE, than he does Shaq. But you think it's just "everyone pass the ball around"

You have LeBron, you don't surround him with a bunch of non shooters, it would clog the lane and limit his effectiveness. Get him Battier, Chalmers, James Jones and Bosh, and suddenly he can't be stopped.

You remember the Kwame era I imagine. Kobe drives the lane, 3 guys come at him, dumps off a PERFECT pass to Kwame...........fumbles it out of bounds.
Try again, PERFECT pass, Kwame misses a dunk.

How many times did we see that in 2 years? How many Ska? I know you remember those, cuz I sure as hell do.

How many passes to a wide open Smush, to brick a 3? Or Luke Walton? Etc.

You can pass for days, but if they don't make the shot, then what?

Shaq. If you're getting 28 boards and 15 blocks on top of 20= pts, you're good with passing, at least in my book

I see. So, Kobe for an entire 15 year stretch is about 28, 5.5 and 5. Also played elite defense for 10 of those years. 80 games per year. (How many Shaq play a year again?)

But those 5 assists, are not enough in your book to warrant a "pass" from you. But Shaq, he gets a pass, cuz that one time he got 15 blocks. :lol: The lazy guy, that took months off, got 10-11 rebounds when he truly, absolutely should have been getting 15-16 since he was clearly bigger than everyone, but hey, why mention those things, right?

And Shaq was an elite defender, how many years of his career? He wasn't exactly Mutumbo out there man.

But yeah, Kobe = Melo/Iverson. Same guy.

Sure.

Thats exactly what I was gonna say ...go on the court and actually play with a person like that and see how much your gonna keep moving. Thats not very fun basketball
for anyone to play. After about 5 straight possessions of you running around, running off picks, running in the lane for rebounds, and running back and up the floor
only to realize your not gonna get the ball, you are gonna stop moving.

Its no point and a waste of energy. Might as well save your energy to play some D. Anyone who has played ball consistently knows what that leads to. No bueno

BUT this is the Kobe we have seen for 17 years now, so no point in even discussing this. That horse has been beaten and stoned to death 10 years ago.

It Tis' what it Tis'

Back
Top Bottom