**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

Tell me something...

Who plays better on-ball defense, Conley or Curry? I'll give you a hint...go see the game when the Grizzlies beat the Clippers at Staples earlier this year (yeah, the game Conley scored like 35 on CP3 and held CP3 to well below his standards and literally shut him down in the stretch). And then go see how Curry plays defense against the Kyries and Westbrooks and CP3 of the world.

Now tell me something else...what would you think would happen if Conley brought his 16-18 ppg, 8 apg, and 2 spg to the Warriors? Do you think Durant and Klay would STEP UP their offense or step down their O? Do you think Conley's presence would improve the Warriors perimeter defense or detract from it? Do you think KD and Klay would then average 30+ since the Warriors would no longer have Curry's three pointers or do you think the Warriors would depend on Conley to step up his offensive output?

Hmm.....

Now tell me this:  What can you tell me about Conley's PICK AND ROLL game? Superb or subpar? Now imagine the Warriors motion and PNR offense with Conley running it with Draymond and Conley's ability to find the open man and penetrate and dish. That's if of course you know exactly who Mike Conley is and what his floor game entails. 
laugh.gif
1) Curry is an excellent team defender, don't have the metrics to reference but I'm sure they're a wash defensively.

2) Durant just got there, I'm talking about the last 2 years. You think Barnes is stepping up and dropping 30? You think klay won't be getting double teamed ever single time down?
Conleys PNR would be mute if couldn't shoot at the same rate Steph shot.
I'm not talking about the last two years. I'm talking about THIS year homie, deeming all your points above MOOT (not mute).

You obviously trying to change the narrative. Here let me refresh your memory, my original comment was: "You put Conley or Kyrie or Lillard or Lowry on that Warriors team with KD, Klay, and Draymond and they would still win a chip because they are simply that loaded.

Last edited:

Funny how just ONE of you has answered these two questions. I wonder why.

So you all think DLo and Randle will be superstars in this league?

You think DLo and Randle are the type of franchise players that can put a team on their back and lead them to championship glory?
Ok, I'll go with your premise that you need a top 5 player to win a championship. Let's also assume that DLo, Randle and BI never become franchise players...

Now what? What would you do going forward?
The Lakers have to trade one or two of these young assets as part of a package to acquire a franchise player. However they do it, they need to get it done sooner than later.
Come on dude, you gotta give me more than that. You've been writing essays over here about how bad they are, I really wanna know. Who are you giving up, what are you getting?

You think DLo and Randle are the type of franchise players that can put a team on their back and lead them to championship glory?
Ok, I'll go with your premise that you need a top 5 player to win a championship. Let's also assume that DLo, Randle and BI never become franchise players...

The Lakers have to trade one or two of these young assets as part of a package to acquire a franchise player. However they do it, they need to get it done sooner than later.
Come on dude, you gotta give me more than that. You've been writing essays over here about how bad they are, I really wanna know. Who are you giving up, what are you getting?
So you wanna play the game called "Let's be Mitch Kupchak"?

That's better than the "Let's be Steven A. Smith" game you've been playing.

I just don't understand all of the complaining without presenting a solution. 

When did Kevin Ding become such a lame journalist? All he writes are revisionist / hit pieces. Why does he love Jeanie/Phil & hate Mitch so much?

Last edited:

That's better than the "Let's be Steven A. Smith" game you've been playing.

I just don't understand all of the complaining without presenting a solution. 
You obviously have missed all my posts on this thread going back the last month. You should already know who I want the Lakers to acquire if you're referencing the "STEPHEN A. Smith game."

My "solution" was provided weeks ago.

I'm in the camp of not being a DLO fan. But he is our #2 pick and "franchise player"
As a Lakers fan, I want him to succeed and become great. He still has a ton of time to develop.
My only concern, from day one, has been his skill set. I don't see him as having the elite quickness/athleticism that point guards in today's modern NBA game have, especially when you use a #2 pick on him. To me, that pick better be lillard, westbrook, kyrie type talent.

He may end up being a very good PG and serviceable player and maybe an All star.....but I hoped for more.

At then end of the day, he's here, we picked him and we all should want him to succeed so our favorite team can rise again. I doubt the Lakers trade him anytime soon and basically thereby admit they made a wrong decision drafting him. We shall see.....

I'm in the camp of not being a DLO fan. But he is our #2 pick and "franchise player"
As a Lakers fan, I want him to succeed and become great. He still has a ton of time to develop.
My only concern, from day one, has been his skill set. I don't see him as having the elite quickness/athleticism that point guards in today's modern NBA game have, especially when you use a #2 pick on him. To me, that pick better be lillard, westbrook, kyrie type talent.

He may end up being a very good PG and serviceable player and maybe an All star.....but I hoped for more.

At then end of the day, he's here, we picked him and we all should want him to succeed so our favorite team can rise again. I doubt the Lakers trade him anytime soon and basically thereby admit they made a wrong decision drafting him. We shall see.....
Well said. 

But your posts don't sound like you want him to succeed, you've already made your mind up you want him gone, right?

EDIT:

It's no secret you want Boogie. Most GMs in the league are saying they don't want him in their locker rooms around young players. Even though he's a #1/2 player at his position. That's very telling.

And at some point you have to trust the Lakers management/scouts who know the game of basketball more than fans do. They saw DLO, worked him out, scouted him in college and liked him enough to draft him.

Last edited:
But your posts don't sound like you want him to succeed, you've already made your mind up you want him gone, right?
I respect your opinion, which is why I said "well said." 

Yes, I've made up my mind and want him gone. This is why I've been pushing it on this thread very aggressively.

But I'm not a part of Lakers mgmt, which means if we end up keeping him for the duration of his rookie contract then I will eventually have no choice but to accept him for who he is as a player and hope for him to be consistent let alone succeed. In my book, "succeeding as a #2 pick" means being a leader on this team and backing it up with consistent numbers night in, night out. 

Heck, Nick Van Exel was the 37th pick and he made more of an impact his first two years on the Lakers than DLo is at this stage. Van Exel was a KILLER.

if those drafts were redone, NVE would not be #37 and DLO would not be #2.

but none of that matters, he's here, he's our franchise player. He knows he needs to work on his game. I hope he stays healthy so we can really see how he is developing over the next 60 or so games.

Lol all of a sudden Conley is a bad player hmmm if I remember correctly wasn't that the bar set for Dlo that he could potentially reach Conley level ?

You do not know basketball my friend.

I had this conversation at the barbershop just three days ago and half the dudes in there (mind you, a couple of them played college hoops back in the day) agreed with me.

:rofl:

something is really wrong with this dude

Last edited:
My only concern, from day one, has been his skill set. I don't see him as having the elite quickness/athleticism that point guards in today's modern NBA game have, especially when you use a #2 pick on him
These were EXACTLY the same concerns about Steph Curry coming into the league

Back
Top Bottom