**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

Thanks. So that could be $85 M if Deng and JC are shipped out, right?
Sorry stupid hoopshype was already excluding players salaries with a team option.  Assuming they pick up those players, here is an approximation of what the cap space will be barring them completely denouncing the rights to Julius Randle.
[table][tr][td]  [/td][td]  2018/19 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Brook Lopez[/td][td]                    -  [/td][/tr][tr][td]Luol Deng[/td][td]       18,000,000[/td][/tr][tr][td]Jordan Clarkson[/td][td]       12,500,000[/td][/tr][tr][td]Lonzo Ball[/td][td]         7,461,960[/td][/tr][tr][td]Brandon Ingram[/td][td]         5,757,120[/td][/tr][tr][td]Larry Nance Jr[/td][td]         2,272,390[/td][/tr][tr][td]Kyle Kuzma[/td][td]         1,689,840[/td][/tr][tr][td]Josh Hart[/td][td]         1,655,160[/td][/tr][tr][td]Ivica Zubac[/td][td]         1,544,951[/td][/tr][tr][td]Total[/td][td]       50,881,421[/td][/tr][tr][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]Randle's Cap Hold[/td][td]         10,000,000[/td][/tr][tr][td]Additional Cap holds[/td][td]            5,000,000[/td][/tr][tr][td]Total Salary After Cap Holds[/td][td]         65,881,421[/td][/tr][tr][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]Salary Cap[/td][td]       105,000,000[/td][/tr][tr][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]Cap space as of now[/td][td]         39,118,579[/td][/tr][tr][td]  [/td][td]  [/td][/tr][tr][td]Est. Cap if trade JC and Deng[/td][td]         69,618,579[/td][/tr][/table]
Right now, doing nothing, we would have about $39M (estimating the cap holds) in cap room.  We would have to get rid of deng and JC to sign 2 max contract players.  Could also stretch Deng to get a little bit more.

They have a team option on Ingram, Nance, and Zubac.  Im assuming they would pick those up.

Last edited:
Unless 3 guys wanna take $20 M
laugh.gif

damn, we really gonna suck for a while
Yes and no.  Likely yes. But if Ball and Ingram are the second coming of Westbrook (not style wise) and Durant then we should be fine with just one superstar signing and one solid role player signing.

Again, it all depends on Ball and Ingram

Unless 3 guys wanna take $20 M
laugh.gif

That's kind of why I am not a huge fan of the two max contract thing.  Besides the probability of getting two players to come to a 30 win team, you are going to have two players taking up 70% of your cap room depending on age.  Even then you may not even be good enough to compete.  

But, its still way better than being a 30 win team so my wagon is hitched to it now
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Again, one max defeats the purpose of a salary dump. Pretty sure you could've just stretched Moz/Deng and had enough for one max

Last edited:
By the way the Spurs and sixers could also have two maxes. If you're a free agent why would you choose the Lakers?

Again, one max defeats the purpose of a salary dump. Pretty sure you could've just stretched Moz/Deng and had enough for one max

Yup. That's why only signing 1 max would be a collosal failure. If you don't sign 2 max level free agents next year, you essentially punted 2017 free agency and gave away a top 3 asset away for nothing.

Yes and no.  Likely yes. But if Ball and Ingram are the second coming of Westbrook (not style wise) and Durant then we should be fine with just one superstar signing and one solid role player signing.

those are literally 2 mvp caliber players. i would temper expectations a little 

Last edited:
Magic said it would be a 3 to 5 year rebuilding process, so I will reserve my judgement until the 5th year.

Unless 3 guys wanna take $20 M :lol:

This is what Lakers fans aren't thinking about. It comes down to the talent drafted. Everybody wants the max FA signings and panicking when **** might not add up..if your top 2 picks in back to back drafts become who they were drafted to be, then by 2019-2020 you guys should already have 2 homegrown superstars and now adding on FA's who are attracted by joining a great duo (potential trio by then). Stop overlooking Ball and Ingram lol

those are literally 2 mvp caliber players. i would temper expectations a little 
exactly my point

It likely wont be that they will be the next Westbrook and Durant...and therefore people need to be content with PG as the only addition, bringing us to a 7th or 8th seed...then you strike again in 2019 free agency.  Unless something miraculous happens like them being MVP caliber players in next 2 years (which probably has a 0.5% chance of happening), we will not be true contenders til about 2020 regardless of who we sign (save for Lebron because he's that good)

Last edited:
All we need is one of BI or Ingram to become a star
Not a superstar but a star. There's like 5 or 6 superstars in the league.

2 stars in free agency (possibly 1 superstar next summer) + 1 homegrown star and we cooking with gas 2019.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who wants to give Clarkson a shot at starting at SG?  I know he is a turd defender, but maybe he can improve a little like Swaggy P did last year.

Back
Top Bottom