**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

nobledamus here i have bad news. we are falling to number 4. somebody is jumping us and getting the number 2 pick
I've been feeling this way since that ridiculous 5 game winning streak.

Don't even wanna read about the top guys, only been looking at ppl around the 28 and 33 picks.

So if we don't come out in the top 3 tomorrow, we give all our picks to the 76ers and we don't pick again until like 2048 or something, right? :lol:

If we end up with a top 3 tomorrow we will LOSE next year's first round pick! No one is talking about this disaster and I wonder why [emoji]129300[/emoji]

Last edited:
[quote name="PMatic"]I'd rather lose 2018 if it means keeping 2019, to go with 2017.[/quote]So either:
- top 3 2017, lose 2018, back in line for a top '19 (undoubtedly)

- no top 3, back in line for a top '18

?

Honestly by 2019 that pick should be relatively insignificant. I know I know, 'assets' woop woop whatever but by then we SHOULD be a fringe playoff team with a rock solid 8 man rotation AT LEAST, given that magic doesn't screw up everything Mitch built. So then it comes down to which pick between the 17 and 18 is better and that won't be determined for a few years

If it is the way I said it up above, I don't think it's a no brainer.

How? 2 1st rd picks are greater than 1. And despite what spinmelone says next year's draft isn't projected deeper and it's top players are all bigs.

This.

It's not even close.
Lolz bro how can you say it's not even close? Next year's class is probably better than this year's
Not referring to the quality of the classes(way too early to compare), just the number of assets.

Losing 1 pick (and a couple 2nds) is better than losing 2.

And basically it just postpones development for another year. We have to wait another yr to draft a guy and wait for him to develop and we can't trade another 1st until 2021 as opposed to 2020.

I don't think it's the end of the world if we lose the pick but it's pretty clear that keeping it is better.
Honestly by 2019 that pick should be relatively insignificant. I know I know, 'assets' woop woop whatever but by then we SHOULD be a fringe playoff team with a rock solid 8 man rotation AT LEAST, given that magic doesn't screw up everything Mitch built. So then it comes down to which pick between the 17 and 18 is better and that won't be determined for a few years
That's simply not true tho.lol

Even if we're pretty good by 2019, a 1st round pick could be even more valuable to us for trade purposes. 

That can get you a vet like George Hill, Lou Will, Bogdanovic and so on to round out your roster.

Or we could use the 2019 to get Deng/Moz off the books.

And there's no guarantee that we'll be drafting in the top 3 next year. What if we overachieve and end up at 6 or 7? 

We lose the pick it's another year of tanking to actually try and get Porter Jr.

Hell, let's see if we can't secure a 2020 pick. 
nthat.gif

nthat.gif

Forget any notion of getting a top pick TODAY and getting better TOMORROW. Let's just stay sucktastic forever!

That's my initial thought on trying to secure a 2017 'outside top 3' pick in order to retain a top pick for next year AND 2019.

Like, how long we doing this for? 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Hell, let's see if we can't secure a 2020 pick. :nthat:

2021 :nthat:

Forget any notion of getting a top pick TODAY and getting better TOMORROW. Let's just stay sucktastic forever!

That's my initial thought on trying to secure a 2017 'outside top 3' pick in order to retain a top pick for next year AND 2018.

Like, how long we doing this for? :lol:

If this is your line of thinking then you want to keep the pick. This purposely sucking ends tomorrow if we keep it.

Hell, let's see if we can't secure a 2020 pick. 
nthat.gif

nthat.gif

That's my initial thought on trying to secure a 2017 'outside top 3' pick in order to retain a top pick for next year AND 2018.

Like, how long we doing this for? 
laugh.gif
If this is your line of thinking then you want to keep the pick. This purposely sucking ends tomorrow if we keep it.
Bingo.

We keep 2 1st rounders and lose all motivation to tank.

Keeping the 2018 pick in a possibly better class is a silver lining, not the better option. 

I'm not saying it is my line of thinking, I'm not saying it isn't.

I'm just asking, what's the end game? Is there an end?

I know Boston's doing alright and they played struggle ball for a few years, but it wasn't THAT long. They were in the 08 and 09 Finals, and it's not like that was an eternity ago.

Last edited:
I'm not saying it is my line of thinking, I'm not saying it isn't.

I'm just asking, what's the end game? Is there an end?

I know Boston's doing alright and they played struggle ball for a few years, but it wasn't THAT long. They were in the 09 and 10 Finals, and it's not like that was an eternity ago.

Boston is in the weaker Conference though.

No way they even get past the 1st round if they were in the Western Conference and they wouldn't be a top 3 seed in the west also.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom