**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

I'm not saying it is my line of thinking, I'm not saying it isn't.

I'm just asking, what's the end game? Is there an end?

I know Boston's doing alright and they played struggle ball for a few years, but it wasn't THAT long. They were in the 09 and 10 Finals, and it's not like that was an eternity ago.

Gameplan ideally is to keep this pick and draft another top flight prospect to bring our total to 3 (if you include D'Lo).

Improve on our record from last season and try to push for the playoffs. (Magic could make a move for PG13 at this point while theoretically keeping all 3 of the top prospects we have). Or he could wait until the next summer and sign PG13 and then package the prospects along with another 1st rd pick (2020) for another star and then we're on the fast track back to contention coinciding when GS eventually has to break up their core in 2019.

It's been 4 years of sucking so far, almost standard for a rebuild situation, but we can expedite the climb back to the top which doesn't have to take another 4 years. Boston is in a decent position cause they hosed the Nets.

Last edited:
You likely are not on the fast track to contention if you are trading DLo or Ingram for anybody who would be available.

Who said anything about trading BI? If PG13 signs as a free agent, you package Randle/Clarkson/2020 pick [the same principle parts you could use to trade for PG13 beforehand] and whatever bench players needed to get that 2nd star. I wouldn't be opposed to including D'Lo as he becomes somewhat expendable if we get Fultz or Ball. 

Last edited:
Time for the annual "don't trade assets because X player is coming here as a free agent" talk again

Most frustrating take to constantly see.
Some people really wanna just stack assets and tank for the next 30 years.

Life is short man, patience is one thing but wanting to tank and collect 'assets' for 30 years is another.
At some point you gotta go for it and try to win again, collecting a bunch of mediocre young talent aint gonna do ****.

Time for the annual "don't trade assets because X player is coming here as a free agent" talk again

Life is short man, patience is one thing but wanting to tank and collect 'assets' for 30 years is another.
At some point you gotta go for it and try to win again, collecting a bunch of mediocre young talent aint gonna do ****.

:lol:

Keeping this pick means no more tanking fam. :lol:

With no 2018 pick, zero reason to tank. And if/when they land PG (or a friend for him) our 2019 pick won't be "tankable" it will likely just be an asset we could try to flip at a later date.

Rebuilding PROPERLY, takes years. Multiple pieces, multiple years.

The title years we gave away draft picks, we traded essentially FIVE for Pau. 3 firsts + Critt + Marc. We were developing no young talent. Look no further than 2013 when Earl Clark was the "youth" on the team.
We also didn't sell Pau, Kobe, Metta or Nash for picks, AND we got nothin back for Dwight.

You can't sign 12 free agents to rebuild, you have to draft thoroughly.

If this works, we shouldn't have to worry about this stuff again for a long long time.

More so, it's also a depth thing...

All of these young guys allow us to have significant depth, whilst going for a name or two when it's available..... Going the opposite way, and trading away most of your young pieces will put you where the Clippers were... Extremely top heavy, very little depth, and "our time" quickly gets swallowed up by other teams that passed us.

More so, it's also a depth thing...

All of these young guys allow us to have significant depth, whilst going for a name or two when it's available..... Going the opposite way, and trading away most of your young pieces will put you where the Clippers were... Extremely top heavy, very little depth, and "our time" quickly gets swallowed up by other teams that passed us.

Yep.

So keeping all of Top 3/D'Lo/BI/JC/Randle/Nance/Zu/Nwaba is realistic? That's what y'all are saying? Cause if not you're just playing favorites on who you feel is worthy of keeping or not. 

Regardless of what happens tomorrow, I'm just happy to finally be done with all this protected pick crap.

My heart nearly stopped when I saw the yellow on the Nuggets card a couple of years ago. 

I am really stuck in between both. I can understand the logic behind both arguments.
I can understand the slow deathly pain of waiting. But I also understand the smarts to properly building this thing. I think there are just some different views on who is expendable and who is not.
Either way we will find out tomorrow. Cuz if we lose this pick, we are gonna be waiting awhile longer than any of us wants to.

I'd be willing to part with JC, Nance or Nwaba if the price is right.

Just give us this top 3 lord

Breaking+Bad++Gifs+Gifkings297.gif

Last edited:
So keeping all of Top 3/D'Lo/BI/JC/Randle/Nance/Zu/Nwaba is realistic? That's what y'all are saying? Cause if not you're just playing favorites on who you feel is worthy of keeping or not. 

Will they do it? Probably not.... Should they do it? Sure, why not. Isn't a bad strategy by any means at all.

The only exception may actually be JC because he's already getting paid double of everybody else. With Randle at least you can add before his contract comes up.

Last edited:
Either way, magic and Rob will break up our young core this summer, whether we keep the pick or not. They have no attachment to these kids the last regime drafted and no incentive to wait for them to develop to validate them being drafted

Brace yourselves

Will they do it? Probably not.... Should they do it? Sure, why not. Isn't a bad strategy by any means at all.

The only exception may actually be JC because he's already getting paid double of everybody else. With Randle at least you can add before his contract comes up.
This makes no sense nor is realistic, not even the Warriors have kept more than 3 of their core guys from the roster from 2013. Only Steph, Klay and Dray are still there from being drafted. 

This makes no sense nor is realistic, not even the Warriors have kept more than 3 of their core guys from the roster from 2013. Only Steph, Klay and Dray are still there from being drafted. 

After they had already won a title, and made the playoffs 4 straight years. They didn't break it all up (WITH TRADES) even when they had multiple opportunities to do so for Star Players.

They had 5 in 2015; Steph, Klay, Harrison, Dray, Festus (They had only 8 picks between 2009-2014)

And the reason they don't still have 5, is because they couldn't keep all 5 in order to keep KD. If they could have, Barnes & Ezeli would have still be on the roster this season, but alas salary cap. (I also even pointed out the cap casualty we would have, Tarik Black because they shouldn't tie up the cap for him & Jordan Clarkson because he's making double of everyone)

They didn't trade guys who were contributing for Iguodala or Bogut.... They traded guys who were worth very little and future picks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom