**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

Absolutely need to bring D’lo back next year. He’s a good regular season player. Hope this run means he comes back for 20 mill. Can then flip him later.

really just gotta win a home game, steal a road game, win another home game

Then you’re in a game 7 and anything can happen

0-149 in history, but how many of the 149 teams have forced a game 7? Has anyone done that?

I guess my question is this...

At what number does it make sense to bring him back knowing an elite team will hunt him when it matters most.

Number doesn’t really matter.

Because it’s not like if they let him go they have cap space.

Bron/AD + Rui and Reaves cap holds (plus 7 roster holds) leave them with about $13-16mil for one player. That’s if they let Vando walk, Christie out. No Beasley. No Bamba.
Maybe re-sign Rui for less than his cap hold. But Reaves has to hunt out and take a deal for Lakers to match to get more money.

Letting him walk would then signal needing to trade everybody because there just isn’t the space to improve. And if you start there, why waste AD & Bron. Then Rui and Reaves should be traded mid season too. No point in keeping them either if they can’t win it with AD & Bron. And get the picks.
(Again, not because DLo is some superstar. But he fits a role and the Lakers don’t have room)

For the Lakers to win, they need to build the deepest team in the league. Because of what LeBron is. Because of what AD is. Because of what Reaves is.
Doesn’t mean they can’t win a title with them. They have. They were a deep team. But certainly need as many valuable guys as possible.

And with as bad as the Nuggets series has been for DLo whatever you can get for him isn’t moving toward a depth goal.

I guess my question is this...

At what number does it make sense to bring him back knowing an elite team will hunt him when it matters most.

$15-$20M for 2 years makes sense. It's a good, tradable contract. After the last few weeks I don't see a team offering him big money. Reminds me of Trez Harrell. Won 6th MOY and was in line for a big payday but don't embarrassed in the playoffs and fumbled the bag. D'lo went from looking at $30M per year to half that.

Nuggets really got the Lakers two star build and doing it better. :ohwell:

They are we were in 2020.

Not bad for us to be here given how we started.

Had we made the exact trade in the summer, maybe we don’t need to play our stars to the ground come May. Maybe we can then flip Bamba and Beasley with the 29 picks for someone else.

We overachieved and we can enter next year pretty good if management plays their cards right

Tradable assets:
D’lo 20-25
Beasley 20 expiring
Bamba 10 expiring
2023 pick
2029 first
Handful of 2nd rounders

To build around:
Ad
Lebron
Reaves
Rui
Shroeder? (MLE)
Christie
Brown jr (vet min)
Vanderbilt

Number doesn’t really matter.

Because it’s not like if they let him go they have cap space.

Bron/AD + Rui and Reaves cap holds (plus 7 roster holds) leave them with about $13-16mil for one player. That’s if they let Vando walk, Christie out. No Beasley. No Bamba.
Maybe re-sign Rui for less than his cap hold. But Reaves has to hunt out and take a deal for Lakers to match to get more money.

Letting him walk would then signal needing to trade everybody because there just isn’t the space to improve. And if you start there. Then Rui and Reaves should be traded mid season too. No point in keeping them either. And get the picks.
(Again, not because DLo is some superstar. But he fits a role and the Lakers don’t have room)

For the Lakers to win, they need to build the deepest team in the league. Because of what LeBron is. Because of what AD is. Because of what Reaves is.
Doesn’t mean they can’t win a title with them. They have. They were a deep team. But certainly need as many valuable guys as possible.

And with as bad as the Nuggets series has been for DLo whatever you can get for him isn’t moving toward a depth goal.

But if he asks for 30 mil a season you might as well get Kyrie...

That isn't how it works though. Can't outright sign Kyrie without essentially letting everyone go but AD/Bron. You trade Dlo for Kyrie and you get hard capped. Then you can't sign both Reaves and Rui.

You can either have Kyrie and a big 3 with no depth or run it back with this team + a couple of minor adds using the 1st and Bamba/Beasley.

That isn't how it works though. Can't outright sign Kyrie without essentially letting everyone go but AD/Bron. You trade Dlo for Kyrie and you get hard capped. Then you can't sign both Reaves and Rui.

You can either have Kyrie and a big 3 with no depth or run it back with this team + a couple of minor adds using the 1st and Bamba/Beasley.

Oh no I understand that.

He is saying we pretty much have to bring him back no matter what but if he wants 30 mil I don't see how you bring him back.

Sure.

But again LeBron/AD/Kyrie is at minimum 75% of the hard cap. Could be as high as 80%

Would have about $30-35mil to fill out the rest of the roster and cannot spend more than that. And cannot make a trade to go over that number.

Oh no I understand that.

He is saying we pretty much have to bring him back no matter what but if he wants 30 mil I don't see how you bring him back.

My point is that there’s really not much place else to go. That’s why I said the number doesn’t really matter.

If he wants $30 mil and Lakers say no. And let him walk. It provides another hurdle for them.

That’s why I said the number doesn’t matter. Whether it’s market value or not.

I think we all have lost our perspective here.

We literally are here today bc Reaves played out of his mind from about March to now.

He was our 2nd best player at times. He filled in when others were injured. That wasn’t gonna last an entire playoff run.

Might be a godsend to get embarrassed so management doesn’t simply run it back.

Run most of it back. But not all.

I would:

Sign D’lo to trade him at later date (but not to contract so bad it’s untradable)

Beg Sheoder to take tpmle

Obviously resign Rui and Reaves ( I have my doubts bc both might get huge deals we don’t match bc of new cba)

put Beasley and Bamba along with 2023 first on trade block immediately but keep the pick if returns suck. Rather build with our stellar scouting department then continue to bring in losers like pat bev etc.

Disappointing end but this was a really fun season. In January I was advocating for blowing the whole thing up. 🫡🫡🫡

1684643168925.png

My point is that there’s really not much place else to go. That’s why I said the number doesn’t really matter.

If he wants $30 mil and Lakers say no. And let him walk. It provides another hurdle for them.

That’s why I said the number doesn’t matter. Whether it’s market value or not.

So we stuck with him.

Biggest needs are probably:

Reliable backup big
Two way forward (sorry Vando)
Athletic, big guard (this might be Christie?)

Back
Top Bottom