IMG_1777.jpeg

Friday’s Games:

Lakers over Wolves in MIN
Pavers over Thunder in INDY
Celtics over Jazz in BOS
Grizzles over Clippers in MEM
Spurs over Warriors in GS
Nuggets over Suns in PHX

I think Rui will be important tonight. I imagine KAT is gonna roam off Vando to help Gobert with AD. Can't expect Vando to splash two threes again.

10. Good Anthony Davis indicators
The Los Angeles Lakers revamped starting five -- D'Angelo Russell, Austin Reaves, LeBron James, Jarred Vanderbilt, Davis -- looked formidable in its first real minutes together Wednesday night in Chicago. (Reaves hitting Patrick Beverley with the vengeance "too small" was one of the season's funniest moments -- even funnier because of how actually mad the Lakers were at Beverley.)

The defense should remain stout with Davis and Vanderbilt together; the Lakers are now a bonkers plus-49 in 69 minutes with the LeBron-Davis-Vanderbilt trio. The offense had an easy flow -- more LeBron/Davis pick-and-roll, Russell toggling between ballhandling and spot-up shooting, Reaves connecting the dots. If Vanderbilt cluttering the lane becomes an issue, the Lakers have alternatives.

Davis was dominant Wednesday after taking only just eight shots in LeBron's return game, and one tell you're getting dominant Davis and not merely good Davis is whether he feels comfortable seizing on chances to handle the ball -- even running the occasional pick-and-roll:

Davis at full health is pretty liquidy off-the-bounce -- confident with coast-to-coast takes, crossovers, and hesitation moves. He's not a primary orchestrator, but every game presents a dozen or so organic chances to indulge -- including improvised pick-and-rolls like this. They surprise defenses, generating exploitable switches.

The Lakers enter tonight's showdown against Minnesota with something like an 80% chance to make the play-in. Win tonight, and they're back over .500 -- with improved odds at the No. 7 or 8 spots. The sixth seed is not out of reach. This team can do damage in the playoffs.

Back
Top Bottom