**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

Not all of us wanna be 75 by the time this team "develops."

You can't just say "Be patient" for 10 consecutive years CP.
It's been 5-6 years of god awful Laker basketball now, it's not unreasonable for some of us to want this "development" of team construction to speed up a bit now. :rolleyes

I know we can't do much until the draft and free agency but I personally hope they 'wheel and deal' and make some thing a happen during that time period.

I use the same thing sample/formula I've explained multiple times with my Cubs.

They were losin 100+ games in 2013-14. They had "too many kids" on the roster.

2 years later they won 97 games, and the next year 103 and ended a 108 year drought.

We haven't won since 2010. We were in the playoffs in 2013.

Hardly life altering time wasted here.

If you guys want to throw out all these kids so we can grab 2 great players and 10 scrubs and win 49 games every year and lose in the first round, hey, great plan.

If you want to reset (correctly) after the Kobe injury and D12 leaving, (as well as the new CBA) this is the path.

Patience is longer than 3-4 years.

Are we sure the players are actually developing at all this season? I see the improvement individually as marginal at best among Randle, Russell, JC, and Nance. 

You're forgetting your Cubs also had the freaking rookie of the year, no?

Last edited:
Are we sure the players are actually developing at all this season? I see the improvement individually as marginal at best among Randle, Russell, JC, and Nance. 

You're forgetting your Cubs also had the freaking rookie of the year, no?

They all spent years in the Minors as well. :wink:

NBA don't have that. This is their Minors. :nerd:

(I know it's cross sports, but the roster shaping is my point. We tanked for 3-4 years)

I like how CP always lowkey brags about the Cubs being World Series champs :lol:
We see you pleh boi

They all spent years in the Minors as well.
wink.gif

NBA don't have that. This is their Minors.
nerd.gif

(I know it's cross sports, but the roster shaping is my point. We tanked for 3-4 years)
And we've been awful going on 4 years now as well. It'd be different if we had that one prospect like a KAT, Wiggins who was bonafide coming in. 

The baseball analogy doesn't work either since it's an uncapped sport. You can't afford to just wait it out too long cause you'll end up getting stuck with contracts that once you find out they can't be what you thought they were especially with those other terrible deals. We can't wait until D'Lo, Randle, etc are all getting paid 20 million each. One way or another these young guys are not going to all be together come next summer I can almost guarantee it, especially if we keep this pick. 

You can shape the roster with enough youth in Ingram, top 3, D'Lo, #27, Zu, and still move the other ancillary pieces (Randle, Clarkson, etc.) and try and bring in a star seeing as they aren't cheap assets anymore (Randle next year). 

Last edited:
There's also a limited amount of minutes, which is kind of the major issue we were running into this season. You add 2 more young guys to the mix, you'll either be stunting the growth of the guys already here or not giving the new guys enough opportunity to flourish. Too many guys at the same positions that will likely only be exacerbated and that's BEFORE you theoretically add a star who has to be out there the majority of the games. 

Last edited:
I like how CP always lowkey brags about the Cubs being World Series champs :lol:
We see you pleh boi

Naw, not my style, serious.

I'm speaking only on roster building, tanking, youth all that.

We were losers for a century, not poundin my chest cuz one title. But the reshaping of that org started with tanking, and young prospects losing ALOT of games, and then growing into something more. Also, buying up a FA or two.... :nerd:

They all spent years in the Minors as well. :wink:

NBA don't have that. This is their Minors. :nerd:

And we've been awful going on 4 years now as well. It'd be different if we had that one prospect like a KAT, Wiggins who was bonafide coming in. 

The baseball analogy doesn't work either since it's an uncapped sport. You can't afford to just wait it out too long cause you'll end up getting stuck with contracts that once you find out they can't be what you thought they were especially with those other terrible deals. We can't wait until D'Lo, Randle, etc are all getting paid 20 million each. One way or another these young guys are not going to all be together come next summer I can almost guarantee it, especially if we keep this pick. 

You can shape the roster with enough youth in Ingram, top 3, D'Lo, #27, Zu, and still move the other ancillary pieces (Randle, Clarkson, etc.) and try and bring in a star seeing as they aren't cheap assets anymore (Randle next year). 

Cubs didn't win because of a salary cap tho, that's not even the point.

I'll use OKC. They were beyond dumb (and scared) and flipped Harden early. Afraid to pay or lose him.

LA don't have that fear. We ain't small market. We would have paid Harden, and KD, Russ etc.

GS struck gold with Steph takin well below market. Built from that.

LA already did that with JC. Do it once more with any of these guys, there's your "extra room" to add parts you wouldn't expect to be able too. (Like GS affording Iggy cuz of Steph's extra space)

We'll go over the tax when it's necessary, just not while we're tanking. You know LA will pony up.

We see you pleh boi

Naw, not my style, serious.

I'm speaking only on roster building, tanking, youth all that.

We were losers for a century, not poundin my chest cuz one title. But the reshaping of that org started with tanking, and young prospects losing ALOT of games, and then growing into something more. Also, buying up a FA or two.... :nerd:
Haha I get you bro

I'm just a little salty about the NLCS still :nerd: :lol:

I'll use OKC. They were beyond dumb (and scared) and flipped Harden early. Afraid to pay or lose him.

LA don't have that fear. We ain't small market. We would have paid Harden, and KD, Russ etc.

LA already did that with JC. Do it once more with any of these guys, there's your "extra room" to add parts you wouldn't expect to be able too. (Like GS affording Iggy cuz of Steph's extra space)

We'll go over the tax when it's necessary, just not while we're tanking. You know LA will pony up.
So you're banking on Randle/Nance/Black/etc. all taking below market value? We still won't have room to add a marquee FA due to those terrible deals to Mosgov and Deng. 

OKC is a decent example, except they had a bonafide star from day 1 in KD and another one in Russ by his 3rd year. Where is that guy on the roster for us now? OKC chose wrong on Serge over Harden no doubt, but they had to make decisions on Jeff Green, Reggie Jax, Lamb, Waiters etc. The NBA doesn't allow you to pay everybody.

Even GS had to make decisions on their young talent pretty early on with Steph vs Monta and D. Lee eventually being let go so Dray could flourish. There's just not enough room for everybody to play and develop. And GS is about to run into the same issues once Steph and IS get their new deals. They won't be able to keep all their young guys or even core soon enough.

When you have that much young talent you need to be able to evaluate properly.

It's also easier to preach patience when a team hasn't won anything in 100+ years than it is for the marquee franchise in the sport whose been in contention every decade of its existence. 

Last edited:

So you're banking on Randle/Nance/Black/etc. all taking below market value? We still won't have room to add a marquee FA due to those terrible deals to Mosgov and Deng. 

OKC is a decent example, except they had a bonafide star from day 1 in KD and another one in Russ by his 3rd year. Where is that guy on the roster for us now?

Even GS had to make decisions on their young talent pretty early on with Steph vs Monta and D. Lee eventually being let go so Dray could flourish. There's just not enough room for everybody to play and develop. 

It's also easier to preach patience when a team hasn't won anything in 100+ years than it is for the marquee franchise in the sport whose been in contention every decade of its existence. 

I said any one of them, not all.

And I don't really consider Black as a key part of the core/future.

If we did let Randle go, slide in Nance. If you keep Randle, Nance can go, I'm fine either way. (Or keep both, if you want)

Exactly. GS let the older vet guys go, exactly. :wink: Monta and Lee. Got beat up for another year, added Barnes. Used the Steph savings to land Iggy.

Russ by year 3, none of these guys have reached year 3 yet. (Randle really only 2 cuz injury)

It's the opposite my friend. Generations of fans DIED without the Cubs ever competing. Entire generations fam. Grandparents, parents, kids all born and dead without sniffing a title. It was never easy preaching patience to that fanbase. Never.

This fanbase has a title this decade for heaven's sakes. :lol:

It took from 91-2000 to reach another Finals, but they built up a young core and went from there. It'll happen again. People just gotta relax. Too much now now now now now in sports society. Christ, the Cavs barely won their first, the 73 win Warriors failed, winning a title is hard as ****, we got 16. We can afford to be patient.

Look at everyone mockin the Celtics. Making fun of them for not making a panic move. Their punishment? Adding the #1 pick to a top 4-5 team already.
Then adding another top 3 pick the following year. But the now now now now now brigade makes fun of them for not trading everything away for Jimmy Butler, or Paul George, neither of whom would guarantee them a title, ever.

Too many people believe action = gain.
Sometimes action is just action.

Stay the course. Have patience. But, I know I'm the minority and many of you won't listen and demand "results" however harmful those actions may be.

Pat Riley firmly in Magic's corner: 'He's a prodigal son of the Lakers'

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pat-ri...s-a-prodigal-son-of-the-lakers-143108623.html

Funny his name comes up.

Pat Riley, Jerry West, and Phil Jackson, all elsewhere in the league.

Kills me they couldn't find ways to keep all of that in house, with Mitch. Ego is a ************ I tell ya. That group coulda been stupid.

West as Pres, Riley GM, Mitch the scout, Phil the coach, Luke under him.......God level franchise right there. None of them dudes could work together. :lol:

Funny his name comes up.

Kills me they couldn't find ways to keep all of that in house, with Mitch. Ego is a ************ I tell ya. That group coulda been stupid.

West as Pres, Riley GM, Mitch the scout, Phil the coach, Luke under him.......God level franchise right there. None of them dudes could work together. :lol:

But I thought y'all wanted them to let go of the Laker past?

Eh those guys all came along at different time periods during their Laker peaks.

Although it would be crazy epic. I could never see Jerry and Phil in the same room again.

Funny his name comes up.

But I thought y'all wanted them to let go of the Laker past?

When Byron is all ya got, yeah, let that **** go in a heartbeat. Hell, never hire him to begin with.

West, Riles and Phil? I'd keep them around with Mitch, no prob. They're actually good at their jobs.

One thing I dislike about the new administration: leaks.
With Mitch you never believed anything cuz u know he would never leak a thing. With the new administration you're not sure what's true and what's incorrect. That could be a good thing tho I guess :lol:

Eh, from Chad Ford today:
Several teams with good odds of winning the lottery like the Lakers, Suns and Magic appear to be leaning toward Ball.

I'm not gonna be mad at anyone we get, I'm just happy to get one of the top 3, but I kinda like Jackson for this team, this roster right now. He and Ingram could be a lot of fun 2-3 years from now.

Fultz, Ball, Jackson, I'll take any of them, just kinda lean Jackson as of right now. But that could be cuz I trust DLo as the PG moreso than sliding him to the 2 for Ball. Seems the dicey'er route, imo.

One thing I dislike about the new administration: leaks.
With Mitch you never believed anything cuz u know he would never leak a thing. With the new administration you're not sure what's true and what's incorrect. That could be a good thing tho I guess :lol:

Yea I remember that Lin trade came outta nowhere and then Mitch revealed that he had that in his pocket for months. If you're reading this Mitch, I miss you.

Back
Top Bottom