**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

I mean we all know Vogel isn't the only problem.

This roster just doesn't fit his philosophy.

You need younger guys to make the sort of switches his defense calls for.

You had that with KCP, Kuz, Trez (to a degree), Javale, Rondo and AC.

We got rid of all that and got older players who either can or just won't make those same effort plays on defense.

It's crazy that they made the move so Bron would have to carry the offensive load...and he is probably going to win a scoring title....

Just a crap year...really a crap 2 years. Injuries and too many roster moves.

I was just throwing out irrational ideas like this thread does on daily lmao

I mean some in here want Jeanie to sell the team lmao

We’re 2 years removed from #17

Phil comes in, BOOM, championship. Musta been Ron Harper.

-foe

Well, first off, you misremember.

Del had Teenage Kobe. 18-19.

99 strike year they fired him after a dozen games. Then they went to........Kurt Rambis.

Phil came in, Kobe turns 21, Glen Rice full season, and they win.

Also, Shaq at the peak of his prime.

Phil gets the credit (and deserves it) that roster was perfect.

Del Harris won 61 games and went to the Conference Finals.

They fired him 12 games into the next season. :lol:

Phil almost blew a 3-1 lead in the Conference Finals the next year. To Mike Dunleavy.

Shaq at 28 was absolutely ridiculous. And Kobe at 21 saved Phil's *** in game 7 vs 18 year old Kobe airballing Del Harris.

I treat Phil as the Goat. His resume deserves that.

But if you use 2000 and 1997 and 98 to credit Phil and discredit Del, you're really kinda missing the point. Phil wasn't winning with 18-19 year old Kobe either.

Could Del have won with 21-22-23 year old Kobe? (28-29-30 year old Shaq) *Shrugs* No idea. But he would have had a far better shot.

Thing is we really don't know...

And it probably doesn't matter in the long run.

Right now nothing is working.

Hopefully something can change next year but I really hope these dummies don't some how fall into the playin.

I don't see anything positive getting swept out of the first round.

Del Harris won 61 games and went to the Conference Finals.

They fired him 12 games into the next season. :lol:

Phil almost blew a 3-1 lead in the Conference Finals the next year. To Mike Dunleavy.

Shaq at 28 was absolutely ridiculous. And Kobe at 21 saved Phil's *** in game 7 vs 18 year old Kobe airballing Del Harris.

I treat Phil as the Goat. His resume deserves that.

But if you use 2000 and 1997 and 98 to credit Phil and discredit Del, you're really kinda missing the point. Phil wasn't winning with 18-19 year old Kobe either.

Could Del have won with 21-22-23 year old Kobe? (28-29-30 year old Shaq) *Shrugs* No idea. But he would have had a far better shot.
It's truly impressive, it really is. You've developed this flawless "Never blame the coach" ideology that is damn near bulletproof. Del Harris, who coached one of only 3 Finals teams with a losing record, could have possibly 3-peated w/ Shaq and Kobe. Whereas Phil, the guy who actually did 3peat... 3 times... he would have had the same results that Del had.

Oh wait, maybe.

-foe

Well, first off, you misremember.

Kurt Rambis.
I didn't say it was an immediate turnaround. I said Phil comes in and boom championship. That's what happened. However, mentioning Kurt Rambis only strengthens the point that coaching matters. That makes 2 coaches that had Shaq & Kobe and then someone who we all acknowledge as a fairly decent coach ... BOOM!... 3-peat.

-foe

I'll be honest, I was too young to be critical of Del. How was he, for real?
Mediocre af when it comes to winning the games that count most. Del came from the Don Nelson coaching tree in Milwaukee. And as we know Nelson has zero chips but had a helll of a great regular season coaching record. Like D'Antoni. Good but neither great nor elite.

I remember vividly, Del was always known to be a "player's coach" (like Nelson) and was great at developing young players and rookies into solid contributors, which is why he won COY with the Lakers in 94-95.

But veteran squads and playoff contenders? No way. Why we brought in Phil immediately and why West and Dr Buss slowly started trading guys like Eddie, Peeler, Christie, Lynch, and Nick to obtain thr pieces needed to win it all.

Last edited:
I didn't say it was an immediate turnaround. I said Phil comes in and boom championship. That's what happened. However, mentioning Kurt Rambis only strengthens the point that coaching matters. That makes 2 coaches that had Shaq & Kobe and then someone who we all acknowledge as a fairly decent coach ... BOOM!... 3-peat.

-foe

So teenage Kobe = 21-22-23 Kobe? Same player? :nerd:

Mediocre af when it comes to winning thr games that count most imo.

He was always known to be a "player's coach" and was good with young players and rookies, which is why he eon COY with the Lakers in 94-95.

But veteran squads and playoff contenders? No way. Why we brought in Phil immediately and why West and Dr Buss slowly started trading guys like Eddie, Peeler, Christie, Lynch, and Nick to obtain thr pieces needed to win it all.

Doug Christie left the Lakers in 1994......

Peeler/Lynch were traded before Shaq/Kobe played a game together.

Doug Christie left the Lakers in 1994......

Peeler/Lynch were traded before Shaq/Kobe played a game together.
I aleeady know., trust me. And Del coached all of them and led them to playoffs several times but couldn't get past the 2nd round with the younguns, couldn't get past Utah with Shaq and young Kobe.

Lakers traded Vlade, Lynch, Peeler to free up the space to acquire Shaq and Kobe.

Eddie and Elden were traded for Rice

Cedric for Horry

sign Fox as a FA from Boston.

Drafted Fish

Harris was never going to lead LAL to a chip even if he had the roster Phil had from 99-03, let's be real.

It's truly impressive, it really is. You've developed this flawless "Never blame the coach" ideology that is damn near bulletproof. Del Harris, who coached one of only 3 Finals teams with a losing record, could have possibly 3-peated w/ Shaq and Kobe. Whereas Phil, the guy who actually did 3peat... 3 times... the results that Del had would have just been the same.

Oh wait, maybe.

-foe

I'm not suggesting Del 3 peats, at all.

I'm asking, could Del have won a title with 21-22- or 23 year old Kobe, vs 18-19 year old Kobe?

A very very very stark difference in players. Teenage Kobe was skinnier than Durant.

Yeah, and Del coached all of em.

Harris was never going to lead LAL to a chip even if he had the roster Phil had from 99-03, let's be real.

Christie was gone before Del arrived in LA.

And yes, the coach that literally won more games each year 4 years straight would never win with prime Shaq and fully developed Kobe. :lol:

Screenshot_20220402-152525.png

Christie was gone before Del arrived in LA.

And yes, the coach that literally won more games each year 4 years straight would never win with prime Shaq and fully developed Kobe. :lol:

Screenshot_20220402-152525.png
Stop staring at STATS.

If he was great, then LAL woulda kept him.

You clearly are too young to remember what everyone was saying about Harris' fit with the roster that West built in '99 especially after Harris couldn’t get the team o er the hump 2 years in a row in the playoffs agsinst Utah, Kobe being young notwithstanding.

Do you even remember how mediocre he was with Milwaukee and Houson. And what's even funnier, after he left the Lakers he was demoted to Assistant Coach status and never became an NBA head coach ever again after his L A. stint LOL

Back
Top Bottom