**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

That is what people were saying, though. 👀 Whatever platform NT was on when Jerry West went to the Grizzlies, I'm sure there's receipts of me saying THAT was a move that was going to hurt us and we might not win a championship again for a very long time. Of course I was wrong, but quite a few people credited West with building those rosters.

-foe

That is what people were saying, though. 👀 Whatever platform NT was on when Jerry West went to the Grizzlies, I'm sure there's receipts of me saying THAT was a move that was going to hurt us and we might not win a championship again for a very long time. Of course I was wrong, but quite a few people credited West with building those rosters.

-foe

I meant the "I'm too young to remember. :lol:

I fully know who/what Jerry West was.

I meant the "I'm too young to remember. :lol:

I fully know who/what Jerry West was.
All i want to know is, how old were you when Del Harris signed to be the coach of the Lakers?

Do you remember that Del Harris was out of coaching the 2 years prior to signing on with the Lakers in 94?

Wanna know why he was out of a job from 92-94 after failing in Milwaukee? Cause he sucked

I got this one.

Answer: Because he didn't have Hakeem. There was only one good coach in the NBA at that time: Rudy Tomjanovich. There was Rudy T and everyone else. Del was simply 'everyone else'.

-foe

How'd Rudy do with Phil's Lakers? :nerd:

Oh wait, was that the same roster Phil had? 🤔

I got this one.

Answer: Because he didn't have Hakeem. There was only one good coach in the NBA at that time: Rudy Tomjanovich. There was Rudy T and everyone else. Del was simply 'everyone else'.

-foe
Thr funny thing is, Del actually coached Rudy T and Mike Dunleavy in the early 80s.

Del may not have had Hakeem, but he had 2 HOF'rs, Moses Malone and Calvin Murphy, but again couldn't deliver a chip.

Del was never goingvto win **** with prime Kobe and prime Shaq cause he don't have that clutch cosching gene in the playoffs if you know what I mean.

If there was something he was good at, it was Del being a known player's coach who was great at developing young squads and rookies, good at X's and O's. But he never could seem to figure things out in the playoffs, I've seem him get outcoached a bunch of times in the postseason and more often than not, Del would have this clueless look on his face like he didn't know what hit him :lol:
Screenshot_20220402-160500_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220402-160514_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220402-160535_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220402-160622_Google.jpg

And here's one of Magic coaching Del during the 96 season lol
Screenshot_20220402-160645_Google.jpg

Last edited:
Mediocre af when it comes to winning the games that count most. Del came from the Don Nelson coaching tree in Milwaukee. And as we know Nelson has zero chips but had a helll of a great regular season coaching record. Like D'Antoni. Good but neither great nor elite.

I remember vividly, Del was always known to be a "player's coach" (like Nelson) and was great at developing young players and rookies into solid contributors, which is why he won COY with the Lakers in 94-95.

But veteran squads and playoff contenders? No way. Why we brought in Phil immediately and why West and Dr Buss slowly started trading guys like Eddie, Peeler, Christie, Lynch, and Nick to obtain thr pieces needed to win it all.

Peeler was let go because every team had to make one player eligible for the expansion draft. Vancouver picked up peeler. Lynch was waived to free up money to sign shaq. Christie was traded for Benoit Benjamin after Sam Bowie got hurt (I think). Van exel was traded after the 1-2-3 Cancun fiasco

Last edited:
How'd Rudy do with Phil's Lakers? :nerd:
Not good.
Oh wait, was that the same roster Phil had? 🤔
Nope. No FMVP Shaq.

But wait...

... Phil came back THE NEXT YEAR... and there was an immediate 11-game improvement. I know, I know: because Wilt reincarnated as ANDREW BYNUM.

It wasn't the coach: it was the player. Phil wins, Shaq leaves, Rudy T comes in and the team does terrible and you can just say it's because Shaq left. Then Phil comes back the very next year gear and the team is better... and it's because of Bynum.

Lock. Tight. Defense.

-foe

Not good.

Nope. No FMVP Shaq.

But wait...

... Phil came back THE NEXT YEAR... and there was an immediate 11-game improvement. I know, I know: because Wilt reincarnated as ANDREW BYNUM.

It wasn't the coach: it was the player. Phil wins, Shaq leaves, Rudy T comes in and the team does terrible and you can just say it's because Shaq left. Then Phil comes back the very next year gear and the team is better... and it's because of Bynum.

Lock. Tight. Defense.

-foe

How'd Phil do when he came back? Back to back first round losses to MDA.

Then he got Pau, and the next 3 years was in the Finals. :nerd: 🤔

How'd Phil do when he came back?
Nope. You're switching the line of discussion we were on. You asked how a coach did compared to another coach, and you asked if the rosters were the same.

Phil + Shaq = championship

No Shaq, add Rudy and you ask "sAmE RoStEr?" Nope.

But next year, damn near the same roster: 11-win improvement. That's the next point you address, not a new question.

Coaches matter.

-foe

Back
Top Bottom