Just got 4 tickets for each window of my car for the tints being to dark... need advice.

I'm also in NY, and the same thing happened to me exactly a month ago, 2.4.11 to be exact. I got pulled over for doing absolutely nothing, so the bored cop decided to check the percentage of my tint's and low and behold they were like 4%, so he have me two tickets, for the driver's side, and passenger side, (I have a coupe, I'm guessing that's why I didn't get 4) and he explained to me and said that I have to get them removed, then take the ticket into DMV and then pay like a $5 fine or some crap like that for each window, some crap like that. I honestly was not listening nor did I pay him much attention anyway. I have yet to get the tints removed, but what I did was I just went to the website that's listed on the back of the ticket, I entered both tickets and I entered my plead of NOT GUILTY for both. They scheduled me for a court date 4.25.11, so sometime before then ill either get a copy of a receipt and pictures of a vehicle identical to mine without any tints and hopefully i'll be able to get out of this one, even if the fine is reduced somewhat, ill take it.

I'm also in NY, and the same thing happened to me exactly a month ago, 2.4.11 to be exact. I got pulled over for doing absolutely nothing, so the bored cop decided to check the percentage of my tint's and low and behold they were like 4%, so he have me two tickets, for the driver's side, and passenger side, (I have a coupe, I'm guessing that's why I didn't get 4) and he explained to me and said that I have to get them removed, then take the ticket into DMV and then pay like a $5 fine or some crap like that for each window, some crap like that. I honestly was not listening nor did I pay him much attention anyway. I have yet to get the tints removed, but what I did was I just went to the website that's listed on the back of the ticket, I entered both tickets and I entered my plead of NOT GUILTY for both. They scheduled me for a court date 4.25.11, so sometime before then ill either get a copy of a receipt and pictures of a vehicle identical to mine without any tints and hopefully i'll be able to get out of this one, even if the fine is reduced somewhat, ill take it.

you should keep your tint and take your catalytic converter out and ask for a reduced fine.

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

Most cops dont care about the back windows, on a sedan/coupe that is. But it is still illegal to have the back windows on a sedan/coupe tinted. Its rare to get ticketed or even stopped for the back windows, your cop was just being a jerk.
SUV's are good money in terms of back window tinting.

I was just going to add this also. As far as NY STATE goes... It is the same 70% Law for BOTH FRONT SIDE and BACK SIDE windows... meaning you must allow more than 70% of light in.... This explains why dude got four tickets. And like dude above says... Most cops usually don't care about them, and don't enforce this law as much as the front windows.

P.S. the REAR window of a vehicle in NY by LAW can be as dark as you want it to, NOT the BACK SIDE windows.

you should keep your tint and take your catalytic converter out and ask for a reduced fine.

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

Most cops dont care about the back windows, on a sedan/coupe that is. But it is still illegal to have the back windows on a sedan/coupe tinted. Its rare to get ticketed or even stopped for the back windows, your cop was just being a jerk.
SUV's are good money in terms of back window tinting.

I was just going to add this also. As far as NY STATE goes... It is the same 70% Law for BOTH FRONT SIDE and BACK SIDE windows... meaning you must allow more than 70% of light in.... This explains why dude got four tickets. And like dude above says... Most cops usually don't care about them, and don't enforce this law as much as the front windows.

P.S. the REAR window of a vehicle in NY by LAW can be as dark as you want it to, NOT the BACK SIDE windows.

Back
Top Bottom