Jordan V Laney 2013-Modern Notoriety "Confirmed"

Yea I can see how you'd get that. If look closely, you can see the bumps in the leather tho.

then why does you fav nba player &/or college player rock them .....

exactly

yes they are good for hoopin in @justed381 you may need to swap insole's in them

Cold, you're one of my favorite NTers...But I have to strongly disagree with you here...

Jordan retros are just that...retros. A shoe that was cutting edge 15 years ago. While the stability of them SHOULD hold up for playing basketball, they're really poor basketball shoes both in terms of construction (weight) and technology (original air).

Your favorite player rocks them for the same reason that we rock them...nostalgia and style. Retro Jordans are not a shoe for function...they are for fashion.

Truthfully, any Nike basketball shoe that doesn't feature zoom is suspect. I think every Lebron except for the VII's feature zoom.

Air Force 1's used to be basketball shoes...they've since been moved to NSW. Same goes for Air Max retros as far as running shoes go.

Cold, you're one of my favorite NTers...But I have to strongly disagree with you here...

Jordan retros are just that...retros. A shoe that was cutting edge 15 years ago. While the stability of them SHOULD hold up for playing basketball, they're really poor basketball shoes both in terms of construction (weight) and technology (original air).

Your favorite player rocks them for the same reason that we rock them...nostalgia and style. Retro Jordans are not a shoe for function...they are for fashion.

Truthfully, any Nike basketball shoe that doesn't feature zoom is suspect. I think every Lebron except for the VII's feature zoom.

Air Force 1's used to be basketball shoes...they've since been moved to NSW. Same goes for Air Max retros as far as running shoes go.

Let's be honest here - does Nike technology make you play any better? Probably not. I've been working out in my lebron XI's and comparing them to Jordan's I've worked out in there isn't a sizable difference in terms of how my feet feel both during and after. If you get a good replacement insole any shoe will feel cutting edge.

Last edited:
From looking at the pics, do these have actual real full grain leather?? If so, that is a good sign for JB..lol
No, they do not.

Held these in hand today.  They definitely brought me back, clean shoe in person aesthetically, but I they reminded yet again why I have to temper my expectations whenever I purchase a JB retro.

This is not anything close to legit tumbled leather.  I was hoping that the upper would feel like the tongue on the '88 White Cement III's.  Not even close.  Basically the standard, run of the mill stuff JB has been putting out lately with a tumbled leather effect.  Pretty stiff.  Whoever it was that said something about them having a PU type coating is 100% correct.  No offense to anyone who has actually called this tumbled leather, but that is false.

Slightly letdown by these in person, even though I had low expectations going in.  Will grab my pair as these are one of my few JB musts, but Nike basketball/running will be getting most of my money from here on out.  Hopefully I can eventually snag a 2000 pair for the low.

No, they do not.

Held these in hand today.  They definitely brought me back, clean shoe in person aesthetically, but I they reminded yet again why I have to temper my expectations whenever I purchase a JB retro.

This is not anything close to legit tumbled leather.  I was hoping that the upper would feel like the tongue on the '88 White Cement III's.  Not even close.  Basically the standard, run of the mill stuff JB has been putting out lately with a tumbled leather effect.  Pretty stiff.  Whoever it was that said something about them having a PU type coating is 100% correct.  No offense to anyone who has actually called this tumbled leather, but that is false.

Slightly letdown by these in person, even though I had low expectations going in.  Will grab my pair as these are one of my few JB musts, but Nike basketball/running will be getting most of my money from here on out.  Hopefully I can eventually snag a 2000 pair for the low.

Tumbled pleather?

Not sure whether to settle or just hold out for some damn 2000's now man. I'd be flipping **** over if it wasn't 3 in the morning :lol:

Ruined the shape, raised the price, and led us to believe we were getting that butter. :smh:

Last edited:
Im not sure wht you even git your hopes up. Have you not bought a release in the past few years ... or all year for that matter

What were you expecting

I actually have passed on every Jordan release this year because either nothing moved me (Wanted the Scotchlite Fire Red's in January... quality was trash) or they ended up being really limited so I passed (Fear V's). I expected leather similar to what they were putting on Jordan III's TWO years ago, or the Motorsport VI's THREE years ago. I'm more than familiar with Jordan Brand quality, but don't make it sound like they don't know HOW to do decent leather.

All I expected was for it to be soft. Soft and tumbled. Wasn't looking for 2000 quality or anything like that. It's whatever though, I'll see how I feel when I get them in hand if I even bother to keep the cash for them.

This was one of the first shoes I ever fell in love with in 2007 when my friend wore them, so I was happy to finally have a brand new pair to run into the ground myself. Guess the joke was on me.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is definitely not Motorsport leather.

Been wearing my Black n Red 12's a lot lately so admittedly my view on the quality of this tumbled leather is slightly jaded.  People complained for years about leather that creases (XIII's being one of the more notable shoes with this issue if the leather is too soft) and JB listened.  Plastic city.

For a 2013 release, it's pretty much what I expected.  Just another shoe for the collection.

Yeah, this is definitely not Motorsport leather.

Been wearing my Black n Red 12's a lot lately so admittedly my view on the quality of this tumbled leather is slightly jaded.  People complained for years about leather that creases (XIII's being one of the more notable shoes with this issue if the leather is too soft) and JB listened.  Plastic city.

For a 2013 release, it's pretty much what I expected.  Just another shoe for the collection.

Hence my Pokemon card reference.... Buy them, Collect them, trade them, repeat

You found those '04 Black/Red XII's, nice :pimp:

Maybe that's my issue here too. I care a lot about quality, so I'm looking at this, a "grail" of mine, expecting great things. I'll probably just grab them to have a pair to wear |I

You found those '04 Black/Red XII's, nice
pimp.gif

Maybe that's my issue here too. I care a lot about quality, so I'm looking at this, a "grail" of mine, expecting great things. I'll probably just grab them to have a pair to wear
tired.gif
Yeah fam, landed them for a steal price too in DS condition.  Just need the White/Red OGs to complete my set.
smokin.gif
  Keep missing out on every decently priced DS pair tho.
laugh.gif

The best comparison that I have for this leather is that it's the same stuff from last year's Oly 6's.

The tinted blue sole looked good on 'em.

Last edited:
I actually have passed on every Jordan release this year because either nothing moved me (Wanted the Scotchlite Fire Red's in January... quality was trash) or they ended up being really limited so I passed (Fear V's). I expected leather similar to what they were putting on Jordan III's TWO years ago, or the Motorsport VI's THREE years ago. I'm more than familiar with Jordan Brand quality, but don't make it sound like they don't know HOW to do decent leather.

All I expected was for it to be soft. Soft and tumbled. Wasn't looking for 2000 quality or anything like that. It's whatever though, I'll see how I feel when I get them in hand if I even bother to keep the cash for them.

This was one of the first shoes I ever fell in love with in 2007 when my friend wore them, so I was happy to finally have a brand new pair to run into the ground myself. Guess the joke was on me.
I didnt mean nothing by it I was just wondering because it just came off as if you were expecting something great (somewhat decent) like you stated but I was thinking in my head nothing has been A-1 quality compared to retros from 4 years ago and older. So im like man you gotta know whats up lol.

But I know what you mean, like above said people complained so they switched it now people still complain. Cant please everyone ya know

im sure you know this already, but if these are a grail for you Id grab them anyway and if you cant live with it once you get them in hand then there's always someone looking for them

I actually don't think that's a quality issue. It's a preference issue.

A lot of people prefer harder leather, because it creases less....the numerous complaints about 06/07 V's.

The PU coating also makes the leather more durable.

From a distance you don't see soft or hard leather.

Yeah fam, landed them for a steal price too in DS condition.  Just need the White/Red OGs to complete my set. :smokin   Keep missing out on every decently priced DS pair tho. :lol:

The best comparison that I have for this leather is that it's the same stuff from last year's Oly 6's.

The tinted blue sole looked good on 'em.

My man :pimp:

Hope you manage to snatch the White/Red pair soon. I think I'm going to do some XII hunting early next year since not much of the Spring/Summer line-up is for me.

Last year's Olympic VI :x

I didnt mean nothing by it I was just wondering because it just came off as if you were expecting something great (somewhat decent) like you stated but I was thinking in my head nothing has been A-1 quality compared to retros from 4 years ago and older. So im like man you gotta know whats up lol.

But I know what you mean, like above said people complained so they switched it now people still complain. Cant please everyone ya know

im sure you know this already, but if these are a grail for you Id grab them anyway and if you cant live with it once you get them in hand then there's always someone looking for them

At the end of the day, I know this is the reality of the situation |I

I'll probably be doing just that. If I don't like, I might toss my little bro an early Christmas gift.

I actually don't think that's a quality issue. It's a preference issue.

A lot of people prefer harder leather, because it creases less....the numerous complaints about 06/07 V's.

The PU coating also makes the leather more durable.

From a distance you don't see soft or hard leather.

I realize more and more daily that most people just aren't looking for the same things out of their sneakers as I am, so I can't knock JB for appealing to the wider "Do whatever you have to so my sneakers don't crease" demographic.

Not absolutely sure what that line is in reference to though. I could care less about what people can see from a distance. I care about how it feels in my hands; how the V's from January felt like steel-toe boots on my feet.

Last edited:
The reason we are getting fake tumbled leather is because of whats happening in this forum right now.... complaining. JB doesn't use real leather because real leather creases very easy and people complained about their shoe creasing. They listen to what is being said believe it or not. Some of yall put too much into a sneaker and want it to look new forever and forgot that even if they are old they are still basketball shoes and made to play in. And yes I play in quite a few numbered Jordan's... 5's, 7's, 11's and 12's so they are made to play in with materials that will last longer like the fuse material does in modern technology. If you don't like the shoe just don't buy it. I can't wait for these because these are the only 5's I need to finish my collection of 5's so I'll take the stiff split grain leather because it will last longer.

Back
Top Bottom