Jordan Retro 1 OG Royal returns April 1 2017

Not gonna lie, the leather on the 17 royals sucks based on some of the pics I've seen of them being worn.

Some are better than others. They definitely don't suck, but aren't quite '16 Banned.

Sorry dude but some of the pics show how bad the leather is on some pairs. I know the leather isn't consistent on the 17 royals but the crappy leather ones are really bad.

You can't tell me you see these pairs with distressed creases and say "let's legit"

This pair is furred.
View media item 2406581
But this pair is fine
View media item 2406580

Last edited:
I'm rocking and moving on but just as a Jordan enthusiast It's wack, I've worn my 16 breds 15+ times, beat my shadows, blacktoes and never have I seen such awkward creasing in the toe box before.

I'm rocking and moving on but just as a Jordan enthusiast It's wack, I've worn my 16 breds 15+ times, beat my shadows, blacktoes and never have I seen such awkward creasing in the toe box before.
Do you think going down a half size will help it for me not creasing as much?

If you're wearing then, they're gonna crease either way so..

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, the leather on the 17 royals sucks based on some of the pics I've seen of them being worn.

Well for modern Nikes it's either thick plasticky stiff minimal creasing or thin buttery soft creases like a *****.

To have the best of both you need something like Horween Chromexcel or Shell Cordovan like NB is doing with some of their high end sneaks. But I can't see that happening with Nike even on their Pinnacle line.

That awful smell is a dead giveaway for them being cheap and skipped a processing step with the materials.

Last edited:

Well for modern Nikes it's either thick plasticky stiff minimal creasing or thin buttery soft creases like a. To have the best of both you need something like Horween Chromexcel or Shell Cordovan like NB is doing with some of their high end sneaks. But I can't see that happening with Nike even on their Pinnacle line.

That awful smell is a dead giveaway for them being cheap and skipped a processing step with the materials.

Naw I've been around a very long time. The leather is just very inconsistent on the 17s which we already know. It just sucks that the leather on some pairs is doing some unnatural stuff while others are fine. Like your pair is what I would expect to see creasing wise.

It seems like the black portions of the shoe, with the exception of the collar, are a cheap synthetic. If not, they have a very weird paint or coating on them. Look closely at the black around the toe panel on the royals, then compare it to the black toe panel on black toes. Not only are the royals stiff in that section, there's a weird exaggerated texture pattern to them that seems fake and manufactured, more synthetic and not real leather...

Might be why those sections crease real weird.

Naw I've been around a very long time. The leather is just very inconsistent on the 17s which we already know. It just sucks that the leather on some pairs is doing some unnatural stuff while others are fine. Like your pair is what I would expect to see creasing wise.
I always suspect Nike these days not producing the left and right shoes on the same factory line or time frame lol!

I've never had this unevenness with adidas, NB, or Asics. I just got lucky (if you can even call it that) with these Royals and the Space Jams, everything else I have from Nike (not many just a handful) the left toebox looks completely trash compare to the right side after only a few wears, not to mention cracking paint on the midsole due to not being dyed.

Nike factories probably using parts of the pleather that shouldn't be used at all to save money.

Last edited:
Well for modern Nikes it's either thick plasticky stiff minimal creasing or thin buttery soft creases like a *****.

To have the best of both you need something like Horween Chromexcel or Shell Cordovan like NB is doing with some of their high end sneaks. But I can't see that happening with Nike even on their Pinnacle line.

@theshoesurgeon did exactly that  with Horween Chomexcel. I would love to take his classes and make my own.

If you're wearing then, they're gonna crease either way so..

Doesn't take away from the fact that that some of the pairs are crap.

:lol:

I know but either way tumbled or soft, they're gonna crease just like all others. Sizing doesn't won't minimize anything unless you buy those shoe tree crap things

It's no reasoning with the blind. I never once said anything about sizing nor did I say that creasing won't happen.

Last edited:
With The Quality of these recent releases, has anyone wondered what happen to "remastered" [emoji]129300[/emoji]

You guys are right that the black portions are pleather. But pleather doesn't mean plastic leather, it's polyeurathene leather. Meaning the leather is coated with polyeurathene in a attempt to prevent precreasing. The problem with it is that when the shoe does eventually crease, it does so in a ugly way. The best way to counteract this is condition the leather with a leather conditioner like Lexol. It eats through the stiff polyeurathene coat to allow the shoes to crease in a more natural way and keeps the leather more supple

You guys are right that the black portions are pleather. But pleather doesn't mean plastic leather, it's polyeurathene leather. Meaning the leather is coated with polyeurathene in a attempt to prevent precreasing. The problem with it is that when the shoe does eventually crease, it does so in a ugly way. The best way to counteract this is condition the leather with a leather conditioner like Lexol. It eats through the stiff polyeurathene coat to allow the shoes to crease in a more natural way and keeps the leather more supple
Knowledge fam! Repped

With sole-swapping more accessible nowadays, people need to take care of their leather uppers. 

Lexol is key.

Where is your source of info on this? Pleather is traditionally a man made material, not an animal leather covered in a coating. Not saying that doesn't exist, but where is your source that that is what is used on these specific pairs.

In overseas markets the shoes normally have a sticker in them denoting what the materials are made up of. I think they have to by law. And some Jordan 1's are definitely made out of man made (pleather/plastic) materials.

These are good quality though?

Wtf
Good quality? Have you NOT been following this thread? One guy got a pair of royals and 1 of the shoes are an inch and a half taller than the other. Pairs are coming with 1 shoe tumbled and the other not. And you call that "good quality" I was lucky enough to receive an ok pair (and by ok I mean not completely jacked up) but considering the reasoning behind JB's increase in pricing I shouldn't feel lucky about my pair being "ok".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom