[:: J. COLE THREAD | DREAMVILLE's ROTD3 ALBUM OUT NOW!! ::]

Gets better every listen for me. He doesn't hit you hard with surface level lyrics all the way through

Least favorite song is probably photograph and I won't auto skip it.

Solid 8/10

I don’t get it on his mixtapes cole raps circles around other rappers then when the pressure is on it’s not the same if he could match his mixtape vibe on albums he would definitely match kendrick it’s crazy that his best work is on songs that don’t count

I don’t get it on his mixtapes cole raps circles around other rappers then when the pressure is on it’s not the same if he could match his mixtape vibe on albums he would definitely match kendrick it’s crazy that his best work is on songs that don’t count

I don't know about this. K. Dot still got him overall bar for bar. And beats wise it's not even close.

The most I’ve enjoyed any of his albums.

Album really picks up in the 2nd half starting from last verse in brackets.

Hardest he’s ever spit on any of his albums from start to finish. Bar structure and everything is more advanced than ever before from him on his albums.

He’s leveling up.
this is true

but i do think a more polished production would have been more favorable.

FHD had very memorable beats (Jan 28, GOMD, Wet Dreamz, Tale of 2 Citiez, No Role Models)

AZ
Eminem
Canibus
Ice Cube after The Predator
2 Pac first 3 albums
MC Ren
Reakwon after OB4CL

all pick worst beats than Nas

Mc Ren's Kizz My Black *** Ep was dope. Shock Of The Hour was ok.
Rae has been solid after Lex Diamond. Immobalirity was terrible though.
I think AZ and Nas are on the same level beat wise

J Cole changed up his flows and production, but he needs to change up the production. He needs to do only half the album, if that.

AZ
Eminem
Canibus
Ice Cube after The Predator
2 Pac first 3 albums
MC Ren
Raekwon after OB4CL

all pick worst beats than Nas

I'll give you AZ and Canibus, but everybody else, nah. Em's 1st 3 albums, The Re-Up and Hell EP >. Raw Footage, Laugh Now Cry Later, and both Westside Connection albums >. Pac's 1st and 3rd albums >. OB4CL2, Shaolin vs Wu-Tang, & Wu-Massacre. Immobilaity and Lex Diamond Story were definitely awful though. Only heard 2 Ren albums so I can't really speak on his.

After FHD i thought we put to bed the production discussion lol.

After 5 albums, we gotta let this guy live. His career is at 10 years now and he hasnt given you the cd with the beats you been asking for. I would give up hope on that and just accept this is his style. Did he even produce this whole thing?? He been getting with other producers.

I have likened Cole to the Common of this generation, but with more popularity and debate. Once I did that I had no issues with his production. It’s a lot of people looking to Cole to make stuff that he wouldn’t rap over. Like we can’t even be in unison that FHD was produced well when it’s a portion of folks that don’t like it. And this narrative that “mixtape Cole” is better is ridiculous when dude has improved with every album and it’s been over 7 years since he even released a mixtape.

Put Cole on some metro boomin or Murda beatz and it would be a classic.

In all seriousness, get in the studio with ski beatz or Chuck Strangers. Dude just needs someone who it's his style. Cole over some jazzy beats would be one of the best albums of the decade.

Guess I don’t understand the gripes about production on KOD. It’s laid back and more boom bap-ish than it is “hot” or current. I take zero issue with that—in fact, I welcome it.

Let’s be real here....a lot of folks just don’t like Cole, which is fine. But if Kendrick was spitting over these beats, mogs would be calling this **** a classic. Fact.

It is what it is I guess. Oh well.

Kendrick doesn't spit over these type of beats because Kendrick understands to get the best producers who are pushing the envelope. This is why Kendrick will always be better than Cole and wins all these accolades while Cole is going "platinum with no features"

Side note: I like this new Cole album

Kendrick doesn't spit over these type of beats because Kendrick understands to get the best producers who are pushing the envelope. This is why Kendrick will always be better than Cole and wins all these accolades while Cole is going "platinum with no features"

Side note: I like this new Cole album

Well said. Even K. Dot's B-side project has better production than Cole's stuff. It's inexcusable, it's not like Cole doesn't have access to the top producers. Cole, KRIT, and Kenny are probably 1,2,3 in terms of content and lyricism but the beats are just so shockingly elevated with the latter 2.

Screenshot_20180421-145102.jpg

:pimp: :nthat: :nthat:

Bruh! I felt this cd...in my bones I felt this shhh....

The track he talking bout his ma dukes, drinking and listening to Marvin...been there

Kevin’s heart was too real....yea, I been there...

Too many references to getting lit to take away your demons...been there, done that...

Add in the fact that homie is straight spittin, 1985, ATM, Motivate, photographs :smokin :smokin

Replay value out the as!!! I love it :pimp:

I may have to retract my original thoughts on the album... it definitely could have used something extra in the production, but after going through it a few times, the overall vibe is on point with the direction he went with topics and such... I was hoping for something more bouncy after the last album was slow and dark, so I guess my expectations didn’t allow me to enjoy this all the way through the first time... it’s actually a solid effort after a few rotations.

Back
Top Bottom