[:: J. COLE THREAD | DREAMVILLE's ROTD3 ALBUM OUT NOW!! ::]

Guess I don’t understand the gripes about production on KOD. It’s laid back and more boom bap-ish than it is “hot” or current. I take zero issue with that—in fact, I welcome it.
Really? The production isn't too loud or hype but I didn't really hear any boom bap, in my opinion anyway

Guess I don’t understand the gripes about production on KOD. It’s laid back and more boom bap-ish than it is “hot” or current. I take zero issue with that—in fact, I welcome it.

Let’s be real here....a lot of folks just don’t like Cole, which is fine. But if Kendrick was spitting over these beats, mogs would be calling this **** a classic. Fact.

It is what it is I guess. Oh well.

This album is far from boom bap.

And why wouldn't people like Cole, he's been promoted as the ultimate nice guy every man relatable rapper.

I don’t get it on his mixtapes cole raps circles around other rappers then when the pressure is on it’s not the same if he could match his mixtape vibe on albums he would definitely match kendrick it’s crazy that his best work is on songs that don’t count
This my #1 complaint about this guy BY FAR. But this project is the closest he's ever come to mixtape/guest verse Cole

He completely blacked out from 2nd verse in brackets till the end of the album.

And the curriculum be tricking them, them dollars I spend
Got us learning about the heroes with the whitest of skin
One thing about the men that's controlling the pen
That write history, they always seem to white-out they sins

Maybe we'll never see a black man in the White House again
I'll write a check to the IRS, my pockets get slim
Damn, do I even have a say 'bout where it's goin'?
Some older ***** told me to start votin'
I said "Democracy is too ****in' slow"

If I'm givin' y'all this hard-earned bread, I wanna know
Better yet, let me decide, *****, it's 2018
Let me pick the things I'm funding from an app on my screen

Better that than letting wack congressman I've never seen
Dictate where my money go, straight into the palms of some Money-hungry company that make guns that circulate the country And then wind up in my hood, making bloody clothes

Stray bullet hit a young boy with a snotty nose
From the concrete, he was prolly rose
Now his body froze and nobody knows what to tell his mother
He did good at the white man schools unlike his brother
Who was lost in the streets all day, not using rubbers
So right now, he got two on the way
Still sleep on covers in his mama house
She can't take this **** no more, she want him out

On the morning of the funeral, just as she's walking out
Wiping tears away, grabbing her keys and sunglasses
She remember that she gotta file her taxes, damn

And why wouldn't people like Cole, he's been promoted as the ultimate nice guy every man relatable rapper.

Hence “boom bap-ISH”. Clearly it isn’t that type of ALBUM. But the sound and feel of the production on many tracks has the soul of that old, simple hip-hop production.

This my #1 complaint about this guy BY FAR. But this project is the closest he's ever come to mixtape/guest verse Cole

He completely blacked out from 2nd verse in brackets till the end of the album.

And the curriculum be tricking them, them dollars I spend
Got us learning about the heroes with the whitest of skin
One thing about the men that's controlling the pen
That write history, they always seem to white-out they sins

Maybe we'll never see a black man in the White House again
I'll write a check to the IRS, my pockets get slim
Damn, do I even have a say 'bout where it's goin'?
Some older ***** told me to start votin'
I said "Democracy is too ****in' slow"

If I'm givin' y'all this hard-earned bread, I wanna know
Better yet, let me decide, *****, it's 2018
Let me pick the things I'm funding from an app on my screen

Better that than letting wack congressman I've never seen
Dictate where my money go, straight into the palms of some Money-hungry company that make guns that circulate the country And then wind up in my hood, making bloody clothes

Stray bullet hit a young boy with a snotty nose
From the concrete, he was prolly rose
Now his body froze and nobody knows what to tell his mother
He did good at the white man schools unlike his brother
Who was lost in the streets all day, not using rubbers
So right now, he got two on the way
Still sleep on covers in his mama house
She can't take this **** no more, she want him out

On the morning of the funeral, just as she's walking out
Wiping tears away, grabbing her keys and sunglasses
She remember that she gotta file her taxes, damn

word I remember him snappin on a guest verse on one of big Sean mixtapes I be like where is this flow on his albums lol

Hence “boom bap-ISH”. Clearly it isn’t that type of ALBUM. But the sound and feel of the production on many tracks has the soul of that old, simple hip-hop production.

Then it's not boom bap "ish" or whatever you want to call it. It either is or it isn't.

Is Em's production boom bap? If it doesn't fit todays standard criteria doesn't make it boom bap either.

And the main problem is the production has no soul.

Then it's not boom bap "ish" or whatever you want to call it. It either is or it isn't.

Is Em's production boom bap? If it doesn't fit todays standard criteria doesn't make it boom bap either.

And the main problem is the production has no soul.

Uhh, no it doesn’t have to be one or the other. :lol: That’s what “-ish” is for.

But you got it bro. You’re right.

J Cole is a mature 33 year old... and I think that’s the perspective he makes music from. In the settings he occupy’s I don’t think he vibes to the trendy or huge sounds. I don’t think he ever goes into a project looking to make music for settings he isn’t usually in himself honestly. Me personally I’m fine with that... but I get that other people may not be.

If you need sumtin for the gym, the house party, pre game drinking etc... he will consistently miss the mark it seems. I’m willing to bet that most of his younger fans(age or maturity) have the most difficultly accepting his newer material... production wise at least.

:pimp: :nthat: :nthat:

Bruh! I felt this cd...in my bones I felt this shhh....

The track he talking bout his ma dukes, drinking and listening to Marvin...been there

Kevin’s heart was too real....yea, I been there...

Too many references to getting lit to take away your demons...been there, done that...

Add in the fact that homie is straight spittin, 1985, ATM, Motivate, photographs :smokin :smokin

Replay value out the as!!! I love it :pimp:

All of this.

Cole imo in a league of his own. Favorite rapper of this generation. I love KDot too but Cole is so much more relatable.

I really mess with everything from Brackets to 1985. I probably won’t listen to the other songs ever again besides Photographs. That latter half of the album really saves this, cause he’s really spitting on there. The first half honestly sounds like Logic impersonating J.Cole and Kendrick Lamar. Not super standout beats, but they fit the concept of the album.

The Kendrick influences are rly subtle (The Cut Off sound like a cheap version of Sing About Me). Seems like dude makes it so the production takes a backseat to the lyrics a lot of beats just have such a soft bass.

I like Cole. But a lot, lot, lot of people don't.

It's usually the reaction to his die-hard fans flipping their **** about his lyrics and acting like his bars are the peak of human thought.

this would have been 10x more fire if he stopped trying to make all his beats

imagine KOD with like a pierre or dro beat

I like Cole. But a lot, lot, lot of people don't.

It's usually the reaction to his die-hard fans flipping their **** about his lyrics and acting like his bars are the peak of human thought.

Yeah, that **** is wack. I like Cole, but some people really act like if you don't like him (or his album) it's because you're not intelligent enough :lol:. Jermaine's bars aren't that deep. Hell, I think even he knows that.

i dont think its about detractors not understanding out of stupidity as much as it is the music simply not being for them/not being relatable to someone not living an urban/POC experience or who has had certain situations and hardships in life

if you havent been thru no real **** to where you feel like youre too smart to listen to a ***** just basically tell you to hold your head...then you DONT understand it...and not necessarily because its going over your head

same for when people try to say Pac wasnt lyrical...theres different types of purposes in substances in music it isnt always a word race to see who can do the craziest word tricks

^Not really following where you're going bro.

Most people who don't like Cole acknowledge he can rap, they just think his production/songs are boring or uninspired. To me that's a fair argument because I was a huge fan early on but his last two albums, especially 4YEO, have been disappointing to me.

My point was Cole stans seem to think that anybody who doesn't like Cole is just "not smart enough" or that his lyrics are somehow going over their heads. That's laughable to me because Cole's bars just aren't that deep. He discusses a variety of topics/stories, but you don't need a 10 page breakdown to understand what he's talking about.

this would have been 10x more fire if he stopped trying to make all his beats

imagine KOD with like a pierre or dro beat

See I like that he keeps trying to make his own beats cuz his **** sounds different. I do imagine his tracks over other people beats at times but I feel like that kinda just feeds back into the "same song, different-ish lyrics" thing going on the past few years.

Brehs that conversation with Uncle Sam on Brackets :lol::lol:

***** said Huh? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom