Is this racist or reaching

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

supply and demand
Racism in economics they go hand in hand
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by KanyeWestJayZ4life

Its kind of subconsciously racist. We know in america people prefer lighter skin, So its the fact that most little girls will chose the light one over the dark one. Im pretty sure people still buying the higher priced barbie.
it's not even subconsciously racist. we know that OVERALL the American consumer prefers white barbie over black barbie. what you said could very well be true but it has very little if anything to do with the topic at hand.

is it possible that the demand for white barbie is higher because the average consumer is subconsciously racist? yea, but it's more likely that consumers are buying toys that most accurately reflect them selves and their household.  if the there are more white buyers in the childrens toy market, which there are (thus more demand), then supply will reflect this, as seen by the higher price of white barbie in comparison to black barbie.  

i'm just trying to explain why there's absolutely nothing to do with racism here and this is all about the simple concept of supply/demand.
laugh.gif

I wouldn't call it RACIST. It is subconscious conditioning.

Simply, what nobody wants (black child) is what will cost less. Simple as that.

I agree, supply/demand rules apply here.

for the most part this specific case of supply and demand is based off racism. of course there are other factors to that (location, demographic, etc)

51- Racist
49- the crap everyone else is saying.

Look you cant assume white people are going to buy the white child, and you are also assuming all other ethnicities (hispanic, asian etc.) would buy the white doll as well, Americans have been conditioned to assume the white woman is the crown jewel of women. Dont buy into the hype.

Originally Posted by sreggie101

for the most part this specific case of supply and demand is based off racism. of course there are other factors to that (location, demographic, etc)
supply and demand is never going to be based off racism in a market economy.

i'm not denying that there are subconscious sociological traits contributing to the demand here, i just think it's obvious that those traits are not racism but more along the lines of ethnic nepotism.

Its kind of subconsciously racist. We know in america people prefer lighter skin, So its the fact that most little girls will chose the light one over the dark one. Im pretty sure people still buying the higher priced barbie.
This.

Sure it's because the White doll sells more ... but it's a reason why society thinks that one looks better in the 1st place.

Originally Posted by gambit215

51- Racist
49- the crap everyone else is saying.

Look you cant assume white people are going to buy the white child, and you are also assuming all other ethnicities (hispanic, asian etc.) would buy the white doll as well, Americans have been conditioned to assume the white woman is the crown jewel of women. Dont buy into the hype.

why can't you assume the white parent would buy the white doll?

It's not a reach at all (a few people have already touched on why so I won't go into it any further).
I'm not mad at it.............in fact I laughed a little bit,but hey.................that's just the way it is.*shrug*
*pops in 21 Jump Street DVD*

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

it's not even subconsciously racist. we know that OVERALL the American consumer prefers white barbie over black barbie. what you said could very well be true but it has very little if anything to do with the topic at hand.

is it possible that the demand for white barbie is higher because the average consumer is subconsciously racist? yea, but it's more likely that consumers are buying toys that most accurately reflect them selves and their household.  if the there are more white buyers in the childrens toy market, which there are (thus more demand), then supply will reflect this, as seen by the higher price of white barbie in comparison to black barbie.  

i'm just trying to explain why there's absolutely nothing to do with racism here and this is all about the simple concept of supply/demand.
laugh.gif
Im just saying that some pretty bigot type supply and demand

what about the other dolls,  The white one is called "Pretty Panda", and the black one is "Little Monkey"
Have yall seen these
smh.gif

Originally Posted by donttalkitlivit

what about the other dolls,  The white one is called "Pretty Panda", and the black one is "Little Monkey"
Have yall seen these
smh.gif

now THATS racist.

Back
Top Bottom