IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

i cant comment on who is better between kobe and magic because i never saw magic play.
eyes.gif

kobe does not make an all-time all-nba starting 5 because the 2 spot goes to jordan.
So no.

in my opinion he is top 10.
So no.
and that makes him overrated?

[QUOTE name="franc" url="[URL]http://niketalk.com/t/514515/is-kobe-bryant-overrated/2430#post_17463262[/URL]"]
i cant comment on who is better between kobe and magic because i never saw magic play.
:rolleyes

kobe does not make an all-time all-nba starting 5 because the 2 spot goes to jordan.
So no.

in my opinion he is top 10.
So no.

and that makes him overrated?
[/quote]

Considering he's constantly referred to as the Greatest Laker of All Time and Top 5 GOAT

YES

Last edited:
I just think that for him to be called such a "great" player but his team seems to always play better when he is out is rather peculiar. I mean guys seem to shine like they would back on their old team when he is out. Jamison tonight with 27pts on 14 shots. Bryant wld hv prob taken at least 23 shots to get 27pts.

I just think that for him to be called such a "great" player but his team seems to always play better when he is out is rather peculiar. I mean guys seem to shine like they would back on their old team when he is out. Jamison tonight with 27pts on 14 shots. Bryant wld hv prob taken at least 23 shots to get 27pts.

It's mind blowing to me that the Lakers are a 8th seed and Kobe is playing "well"

Like if any other superstar in league was in the exact same situation they would be getting clowned but its Kobe so he gets props for carrying Dwight Howard and Steve Nash to the 8th seed :lol:

It's mind blowing to me that the Lakers are a 8th seed and Kobe is playing "well"

Like if any other superstar in league was in the exact same situation they would be getting clowned but its Kobe so he gets props for carrying Dwight Howard and Steve Nash to the 8th seed :lol:

If you've actually been watching the Lakers this year it's not that mind blowing

Like if any other superstar in league was in the exact same situation they would be getting clowned but its Kobe so he gets props for carrying Dwight Howard and Steve Nash to the 8th seed
laugh.gif
what are you doing?

Clyde wasn't on the '94 team. It's effective FG%, and so what. He was a role player, nothing more.

The best players besides Hakeem on that team were Otis Thorpe, Horry, Kenny Smith, Mario Elie, Cassell... Arguably the worst supporting cast ever by a champion and one of the few champions ever without a second All-Star caliber player.

i realize this is hella old, but i just randomly read this old post and want to vouch. i just happened to use the '93-'94 rockets in 2k when i played my friend today and they had olajuwon and absolutely nobody else. every other single person on that team was nothing more than a role player. so now i just want to thank you, because whenever i argue about how great the dream was, i'm going to say he was the only person to win a title by himself.

Clyde wasn't on the '94 team. It's effective FG%, and so what. He was a role player, nothing more.

The best players besides Hakeem on that team were Otis Thorpe, Horry, Kenny Smith, Mario Elie, Cassell... Arguably the worst supporting cast ever by a champion and one of the few champions ever without a second All-Star caliber player.

i realize this is hella old, but i just randomly read this old post and want to vouch. i just happened to use the '93-'94 rockets in 2k when i played my friend today and they had olajuwon and absolutely nobody else. every other single person on that team was nothing more than a role player. so now i just want to thank you, because whenever i argue about how great the dream was, i'm going to say he was the only person to win a title by himself.

See Dirk Nowitzki

See Dirk Nowitzki

ehhhhhh dirk had jason terry dropping 18 a game in the finals. he also carried the mavs in that decisive game 6...not dirk. olajuwon dropped almost 27 a game while the next closest person on his team (vernon maxwell) scored 13 a game. he led his team in points, assists, steals, and blocks. finished second in rebounding. that's carrying a team by yourself.

See Dirk Nowitzki

ehhhhhh dirk had jason terry dropping 18 a game in the finals. he also carried the mavs in that decisive game 6...not dirk. olajuwon dropped almost 27 a game while the next closest person on his team (vernon maxwell) scored 13 a game. he led his team in points, assists, steals, and blocks. finished second in rebounding. that's carrying a team by yourself.

Jason Terry didn't show up til Game 5.

He had a great game 5 and 6 and that's it.

They were all role players but some of the best group of role players on one team, maybe ever. Thorpe, Cassell, Elie, Horry, Smith and my guy Vernon Maxwell. Almost every one of those players could stroke the 3(especially in crunch time), were some nasty defenders, and Thorpe averaged a double double. Hakeem was the only big name and hes definitely in my All Time Top 10. But he didnt win those titles by himself, his role players stepped up.

Last edited:
^
I feel like that about Dallas. Kidd, Marion, Jet, Chandler, Barea, Stephenson, Peja around Dirk gave them an incredible run.

^
I feel like that about Dallas. Kidd, Marion, Jet, Chandler, Barea, Stephenson, Peja around Dirk gave them an incredible run.

Look at how good everyone on that list is only 12-24 months after that run.

Every single one of them is washed except Tyson.

Dirk didn't have one prominent sidekick/Pippen next to him, but if you look at that team he had a VERY well rounded supporting cast, much more so than Hakeem in 94. Dirk had a quality player to fill every role - perimeter offense (Terry, Kidd), perimeter defense (Marion, Kidd), interior defense/rebounding) (Chandler) and Dirk himself both stood for interior as well as perimeter offense.

laugh.gif

That's why I have him on ignore.

Overrated defense says him, but who was the better defensive basketball player, Kobe, or Magic?

Kobe, EASILY was better at defense, regardless of how many All Defense teams he made. Be it 9, 5, or 1, he clearly played defense better than Magic ever did. Kobe was a lockdown defender for several years, Magic was NEVER that, leading the league in steals twice does not = "good Defense"

If people start coming in here and trying to claim that ****, it's gonna get real ******g ugly in here.
roll.gif

Right.

But somehow leading the league in scoring = "good offense," right?

Some of you should just erase basketball from your life because you know absolutely NOTHING about it.

See Dirk Nowitzki

Ehhh... Don't act like a lot of people weren't saying with those big shots he was hitting that Terry was the MVP of that series.

Last edited:
So being a top 10ish player all time = overrated?

Was he the og chosen one or something? Supposed to be thee best all time, or what the heck?
laugh.gif

Where do you guys get this stuff from?
Is this a real question?

Where do we get this stuff from?

Really?

We get it from you Lakers' fans that love to overrate Kobe Bryant just to show the rest of the Lakers fans (majority) that don't know anything about basketball either that "hey, I'm a bigger Lakers fan than you and Kobe has five rings so he's the best!!"

There's a reason people severely dislike Lakers fans and Kobe Bryant. It's because most of y'all overrate the hell out of Bryant just for the sake of being accepted as a "diehard Lakers fan" amongst each other.

Where do we get this stuff from... seriously?

We get it from the people who try to convince us that Kobe Bryant is a top 2, top 3, top 5 player.

The guy is somewhere between 15-25. We say he's overrated because a lot of people who don't know crap about the game of basketball are brainwashed by the media and other casual basketball viewers that don't know crap about basketball and love to promote the idea that Kobe Bryant is a top 5 basketball player ever.

The whole idea of him being top 5 is a joke. I can name 5 players on the 1992 Dream Team that are better than Kobe in terms of "if you give this player the same teammates for 17 years as Kobe Bryant has had, he will win more championships."

You guys are so blind-sided by your desire to be recognized as diehard Lakers fans amongst phony Lakers fans that you're throwing out nonsense ideas and then try to justify it by saying "then why does the basketball media always say it too?" The media has already started the "is LeBron better than Jordan" storylines and you Kobe fans get so bent out of shape about it. Why? How come if they compare LeBron to Jordan, it's just a storyline to attract viewers but if they say Kobe Bryant is top 5, then suddenly the media doesn't have any underlying motivations?

Let me tell you Kobe Bryant Stans something: I ASSURE you that LeBron James being a better basketball player than Michael Jordan, however off base you may think it is, is a lot closer to being accurate than Kobe Bryant being a top 5 all-time basketball player. They feed you this stuff now to sell jerseys. 10 years from now when Bryant is no longer playing and they don't need to promote him for television ratings and jersey sales, none of the media guys will continue to say that he's top 5.

They were all role players but some of the best group of role players on one team, maybe ever. Thorpe, Cassell, Elie, Horry, Smith and my guy Vernon Maxwell. Almost every one of those players could stroke the 3(especially in crunch time), were some nasty defenders, and Thorpe averaged a double double. Hakeem was the only big name and hes definitely in my All Time Top 10. But he didnt win those titles by himself, his role players stepped up.

and like I said...Hakeem led his team in every statistical category during that finals series except rebounding. if you look at the playoffs as a whole, he led them in every single statistical category INCLUDING rebounding. dude was doing it all.

Thorpe did not average a double double. cassell put up 10.0 ppg. Mario Eli dropped a whopping 2.4 a game and Kenny smith scored 5.6 a game. these are names you remember, but they weren't putting up any real numbers during that time. the two highest scorers on that team were Vernon maxwell 13.4 PPG and Robert horry 10.3 ppg and they shot 36% and 32% respectively.

See Dirk Nowitzki

Ehhh... Don't act like a lot of people weren't saying with those big shots he was hitting that Terry was the MVP of that series.

And alot people say Pau deserved a Finals MVP.......yall make this too easy

See Dirk Nowitzki

And alot people say Pau deserved a Finals MVP.......yall make this too easy
You're slow today.

Back
Top Bottom