IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

As a Laker Magic is greater than/equal to Kobe.
As a BASKETBALL player Kobe is greater than Magic.
I would rather have Kobe's skill set.

They are polar opposites though on court attitude wise.

This is a common way of thinking amongst the " 80% of people that watch NBA but don't know a lick of basketball/math."

Kobe's skill set translates well to the playground..

Magic's skill set translates well to organize basketball

Which probably explains why Magic was the forefront of more rings and won more MVPs than Kobe in less time.

But I understand shooting a high arching, leg kicking, 2 pointer while screaming "Kobe!" is more self satisfying than getting your entire team involved while still scoring efficiently and pulling down 7 rebounds a game.

So backyard 21 Kobe's skill set makes a lot of sense over Magic. But if you didnt know they played organized ball with teammates.

Kareem won 3 MVP's on the Bucks. He was ALL NBA first team as a Laker like 5 times.

As a Laker, Kobe has been ALL NBA 10-11 times.

Hence better LAKER career, but when you add Kareems years with the Bucks, Kareem had the better career.

Read this 50 God damn times please.

I thought about it,

I think Kobe is overrated in the fact that people consistently say he's the 2nd best player ever.

Not everyone says this but enough to where I'm tired of hearing it.

When I judge greatness I judge it by "if I had this dude in his prime how easy is it going to be to build a championship contending team"

Like what if I can't get another superstar around said player, will that guy be able to carry my franchise with mediorce talent until either A I can get a superstar around him or B win without another superstar talent.

Now with that being said Kobe is probably one the of best 10 players to ever play basketball. I just don't think hes top 5 because whether its his attitude, personality or style of game his mere presence doesn't guarantee your team is going to be decent.

This is why I think Kobe is overrated, no more no less.

Last edited:
He isnt the 2nd best ever.
He is the 2nd best SG ever. And that says alot.
Considering the many that have come and gone at the 2.
I wouldnt put Russell or even Kareem over him.
Leaving plenty of room in the top 5.

Ya he isnt the 2nd best player ever.
But y'all act Like Magic played with bums.
Dudes teams were stacked

People actin like Mj, Russell and Kareem are untouchable gods.
What does Kobe have to do? Win a Finals series playing 1 on 5?
Play a full season with a broken leg?
Play with his right arm tied behind his back?

People actin like Mj, Russell and Kareem are untouchable gods.
What does Kobe have to do? Win a Finals series playing 1 on 5?
Play a full season with a broken leg?
Play with his right arm tied behind his back?

What does he have to do to be better than MJ and Kareem?

Simple, actually be a better basketball player than them.

Y'all ever wonder why only other Kobe fans rate him so high? Like no other all time great has only his legion defending him so tough.

That should tell you dudes something in and of itself.

Last edited:
Y'all ever wonder why only other Kobe fans rate him so high? Like no other all time great has only his legion defending him so tough.

Because all non Kobe fans are 'Haters" and are just jealous of his accomplishments. Other all times greats are overhyped to try and put Kobe down.

:rolleyes

A random NBA player would've slap you if you say Kobe is overrated.

But NO, NT says he's overrated so leave it at that.

:lol:

A random NBA player would've slap you if you say Kobe is overrated.

But NO, NT says he's overrated so leave it at that.

laugh.gif
I can guarantee you that this isn't the case.

Matter of fact, I'm sure that players in the NBA will agree that he is overrated because it makes more sense to them why he has 5 rings (luck) than it does to you casual NBA viewers.

In a league where Monta Ellis thinks he's as good as Dwyane Wade its idiocy to even bring up current nba players opinions.

Maybe you guys need an unbiased opinion on this argument.

Honestly going back a few pages I will say both sides are bringing good arguments.

But both sides are also being stubborn, refusing to acknowledge good facts that go against their own argument.

It's impossible to have a conversation when nobody is willing to give in. And that's why the last few pages you just see everybody twisting each others words.

As far as the argument goes. Kobe is not top 5 but I think those type of list are stupid anyway. I think it's hard to compare SGs to PFs or what ever the situation may be.

That being said I think most will agree that Kobe is the 2nd best SG of all time and that's nothing to shake your head at.

And if your being honest Kobe is top 20 no matter where you put him.

Last edited:
Maybe you guys need an unbiased opinion on this argument.

Honestly going back a few pages I will say both sides are bringing good arguments.

But both sides are also being stubborn, refusing to acknowledge good facts that go against their own argument.

It's impossible to have a conversation when nobody is willing to give in. And that's why the last few pages you just see everybody twisting each others words.

As far as the argument goes. Kobe is not top 5 but I think those type of list are stupid anyway. I think it's hard to compare SGs to PFs or what ever the situation may be.

That being said I think most will agree that Kobe is the 2nd best SG of all time and that's nothing to shake your head at.

And if your being honest Kobe is top 20 no matter where you put him.

Yes.

Overrated or not, he has earned the moniker of being a "great" player.
Separates him from players that are "good" or "solid".
Great as Mark Jackson and JVG were explaining before is a title that shouldnt be thrown around lightly or easily.

Why is this even a thread? You can make the argument that someone like Carmelo is overrated, but Kobe?! C'mon son! And that's coming from a diehard celtics fan.

When I judge greatness I judge it by "if I had this dude in his prime how easy is it going to be to build a championship contending team"

That seems to be a flawed way of thinking though, thats like the same what if formula dudes been using for years........if you put T Mac/Vince/ Ray Allen/ A.I. in Kobes shoes theyd have 5 rings too. Its really just speculative non sense with no real way to prove it, just a waste of time and words.

It wasnt hard for the Lakers to become a contender again, all it took was a very good post presence in Pau and boom 3 straight final trips.....please dont act like Pau is some great H.O.F. player , hes was a good all star and thats that. All Kobe needs was a dependable player to play inside outside with in his prime and they had a chance to win every year.

Kobe isnt a hard player to build around, not as easy as an all around talent like Bron or Magic, nor as easy as Duncan or Shaq but he has went 3x to the finals without another certified H.O.F. player so it cant be that hard to ''build'' around him.

If you ever have to build an all-time NBA Dream team, will kobe be in that team.

here's mine, IMO its more of a defensively sound team, dominant in middle, athletic and fast enough to run fast breaks and can score at will.

1) MJ - SG
2) Olajuwon - C
3) Magic - PG
4) Bird - SF
5) Barkley - PF
6) Lebron - SF
7) Shaq - C
8) Stockton - PG
9) Kareem - C
10) Gary Payton PG

I would put Kobe somewhere in my Top 20, but he's not touching top 10. I know people would argue that Kobe > Lebron but if we're talking about just pure B-Ball skill set, i would pick LBJ over Kobe any day.

^^

Youve got 3 pg's and only 1 sg in MJ :rolleyes MAGIC, GP, and Stockton are overkill because no team really needs 3 pgs.

On a properly balanced team it would be hard to leave Kobe out of it since its a safe best hes at least the 2nd SG ever.

My dream squad would be :

CP3 ( distributor)
MJ ( obvious)
Bron ( versatility and dominance)
Dirk ( shooter)
Shaq ( beast )

Durant (scorer and efficient)
KG ( contagious defender and competitor)
Hakeem ( most skilled big)
Kobe ( overated backup)
Gary Payton ( lockdown d and great leader )

I can guarantee you that this isn't the case.

Matter of fact, I'm sure that players in the NBA will agree that he is overrated because it makes more sense to them why he has 5 rings (luck) than it does to you casual NBA viewers.

Now I remember why I never come in this thread.

"Pure stupidity."

"Why is this open?"

"I forgot why I never come in here."

SOLID arguments. :smokin

You guys are keeping the thread alive just to take turns saying the equivalent of "You're a meaniehead." :lol:

Last edited:
na u just hate kobe thats y the threads still alive.  this thread is a slap in the face to the collective basketball knowledge of the members of this site.

Back
Top Bottom