IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

laugh.gif
 @ that fool posting a shirt as if it holds any weight.
Now, if I had said something like this, calling someone a name, I'd be reported, warned, then suspended.

There is plenty favoritism on this board in regard to the Kobe Bryant and Laker fans it seems.

It's a shame.

Now, if I had said something like this, calling someone a name, I'd be reported, warned, then suspended.

There is plenty favoritism on this board in regard to the Kobe Bryant and Laker fans it seems.

It's a shame.

It's a shame that you take so much of your personal time to talk about a guy who you only see 48 minutes through a TV screen.

Lol

:lol:  @ that fool posting a shirt as if it holds any weight.

It's a shame.

Noun
A person who acts unwisely or imprudently; a silly person: "what a fool I was to do this".
Verb
Trick or deceive (someone); dupe.
Adjective
Foolish or silly.

You were unwise in posting a fake video, and you imprudently post hot garbage all throughout this board.

Sit down.

I see why I hardly use this forum to discuss basketball anymore, posts like these show no objectivity and are fueled by the poster's disdain for Kobe. Let's look at the common criticisms of the man.
He played the role of "Robin" during his 1st 3 championships: Why wouldn't he? Shaq was clearly the most dominant player in the NBA at the time & I'm hard pressed to think of another guard in history that would have deserved more touches than the Diesel during those years.
He quit on his team: Kobe played his tail off, averaging 28, 6 & 5 assists during that series. Pushed the 2nd seeded Suns to the brink of elimination, but that Laker team was completely overwhelmed by a vastly better Suns team. The Lakers were down by 17 points in the 1st quarter & 15 at the half, Its clear that they weren't going to win if Kobe kept monopolizing the ball. Tried to get his teammates involved (that roster is cringe worthy) & ended up getting blown out by a fired up Phoenix team. Don't see why this is an issue.
He's never shot over 50% in a season: Truth, his shot selection has always been questionable. Using advanced metrics, Kobe's .555% True Shooting percentage is higher than Jerrry West's .550% & not that far away from Michael Jordan's .569% True Shooting percentage.
He's always surrounded by great players: In the last 30 years, how many teams have won a championship without multiple All-Stars? Dallas in 2011, Detroit in 2004, San Antonio in 2003 & 1999, Houston in 1994 & '95, Chicago in 1991, Detroit in 1989. 8 teams total. The 1994-95 Houston Rockets had a roster with 2 career all-stars. Hakeem & 1 time-all star Sam Cassell. What does this tell you? Most teams win with multiple great players. No one complains about Larry or Magic coming into great situations as rookies, why Kobe?
Compared to Robert Horry: LOL. A guy who isn't a Hall of Famer & hasn't even been an all-star being compared to Kobe? Mark Madsen has more rings than LeBron, what does that prove?
If you don't like Kobe, fine. But to discredit his game & place in history makes you look like you'd rather be watching Basketball Wives instead of an actual game of basketball.
:pimp: :nthat: :smokin

It's a shame.

:lol: are you just now realizing this?

What even more ignorant, is to think that just because he has worked on his game, that his game has become any more versatile.

It hasn't.

Shaq, Wilt, and now Dwight Howard constantly worked on their free throws, how'd that work out?

See how IGNORANT your suggestion is?

Just remember this, you remember the name Coach Hubie, but he does not remember you.

Now think about who really got ether'd, SON.

Kobe Bryant is overrated, and his fans on Nike Talk are simply delusional while  thinking that Kobe Bryant actually has had the same impact on the game as legends like Mikan, Wilt, Russ, Oscar, Kareem, Doc, Larry and Magic, Jordan, and now the oncoming  LeBron James.

He's never carried the league, never was a major draw on television, nor at the gates. But all the aforementioned have been, and then are, all while being GREAT players.

Kobe retires, nobody will miss him but Laker fans. He, has no impact other than being just a good player.
educate me on what the one dimension kobe's game is? what part is it that when he plays that is all he does? i

You are talking out of your butt.

Do you know what Oscar Robertson did for the game, and how he changed the game?

Do you know what Kareem did in actually carrying the game, then changing it himself?

Do your research.

I've already posted the stats on how the NBA has suffered during Kobe's prime, and he doesn't sell out NOTHING but his teammates.
did you know that oscar robertson was a player that many did not want to play with. one of the worse outside of what he brought to the game. so just like he is one of the greatest to play the game, he has his cons just like kobe or any other player.

Two names, Shaq, and Karl Malone.

Sold them out.

So what Kobe Bryant is popular in China? Plenty people, right? Ratings STILL tanked during his prime.

Not many wanted to watch him.

But since you want to bring up whether or not Tim Duncan is Top ten, well, he isn't either.

Best power forward? Yup.

But as a player? He does not beat out the Top Ten that actually carried the league, the true measure of GREATNESS, those that transcend the game.

Mikan, Wilt, Russ, Oscar, Kareem, Doc, Larry and Magic, Jordan, that's the Mount Rushmore, and Kobe Bryant does not belong there.

Never will either..
how did kobe sell out shaq? kobe wanted to be alpha dog but what did he do to sell him out? from what i recall he wanted stupid money and buss said no and they traded him.

Noun
A person who acts unwisely or imprudently; a silly person: "what a fool I was to do this".
Verb
Trick or deceive (someone); dupe.
Adjective
Foolish or silly.
You were unwise in posting a fake video, and you imprudently post hot garbage all throughout this board.
Sit down.
Again, if I posted something like this, it would be said by a Mod that I am derailing the thread.

Kobe Bryant is overrated, so stick to the topic at hand.

http://www.mediapost.com/publicatio...am-dunk-endorsement-scores.html#axzz2Dqlt26nu

NBA Players Slam Dunk Endorsement Scores
by David Goetzl, Yesterday, 12:03 PM

By one metric, newly acquired Los Angeles Lakers point guard Steve Nash has the greatest potential among NBA players as an endorser, according to Nielsen. Just behind his teammate Kobe Bryant, in second place.

In Los Angeles, 11 players between the Lakers and Clippers made the top 50 combined.

Nielsen looked at the endorsement potential for the top 50 active players in the league by an N-score, which is determined by Nielsen and E-Poll Market Research. An N-score takes into account factors such as demographic profiles. N-score research is conducted using a panel of 1,100 via the Internet.

With the Clippers, Nielsen said longtime veteran Grant Hill was found to be the most handsome player in the research.

The Miami Heat, where LeBron James is an active endorser, may still be suffering from “overexposure,” Nielsen said. Three of its players ranked in the top 10 among most overexposed.

Chicago’s Derrick Rose, who is rehabbing an injury, was deemed the most talented player in the research. Team-wise respondents indicated Oklahoma Thunders Kevin Durant and Michael Westbrook, both with substantial endorser potential, were the most talented.

Washington guard John Wall, playing on a struggling team, was found to be a “trendsetter."

Last edited:
did you know that oscar robertson was a player that many did not want to play with. one of the worse outside of what he brought to the game. so just like he is one of the greatest to play the game, he has his cons just like kobe or any other player.
At any time, has Kobe Bryant been considered the face of the NBA as was Robertson?

The question still stands...at what point has Kobe Bryant ever carried the league, or has the league been considered his?

Everyone in the top ten all time has been considered as such.

how did kobe sell out shaq? kobe wanted to be alpha dog but what did he do to sell him out? from what i recall he wanted stupid money and buss said no and they traded him.
He snitched about Shaq's affairs.

He also called Karl Malone's wife, then threatened to divulge certain information after an incident regarding Vanessa Bryant.

What impact has Kobe Bryant had on the game, that makes him equal to both Kareem and Jordan?

This is the ultimate test of the all time greats. Even when people talk about the greats in baseball, boxing, football, all sports, they speak of impact, even soccer. 

What was Kobe Bryant's impact on the game, and did he actually carry the league as did Jordan and Kareem?

If you are honest, you know that he didn't, and he still does not.

This is what separates the good, from the greats.

Top ten all time, HELL NO.
kobe carried the league in the 00s. even with the colorado incident he still carried the league. when kobe was on the road people showed up. your reaching bro. if kobe did not carry the league in the 00s i would like to know who carried it then?

He also called Karl Malone's wife, then threatened to divulge certain information after an incident regarding Vanessa Bryant.

Did or Did not Michael Jordan threaten to pull out of the 1992 Olympics if they included Isiah Thomas?

kobe carried the league in the 00s. even with the colorado incident he still carried the league. when kobe was on the road people showed up. your reaching bro. if kobe did not carry the league in the 00s i would like to know who carried it then?
No he did not.

Tim Duncan and the Spurs were winning chips as well. He also was not even the best player on his own team, as that was Shaq.

and what does that have to do with his place in history? yea he snitched on shaq and that whole fiasco with malone. i dont see how that has anything to do with him making buckets and playing ball?

He's never shot over 50% in a season: Truth, his shot selection has always been questionable. Using advanced metrics, Kobe's .555% True Shooting percentage is higher than Jerrry West's .550% & not that far away from Michael Jordan's .569% True Shooting percentage.
There were no threes in Jerry West's day so that's not a fair comparison to just look at the raw numbers. Threes have a huge effect on true shooting percentage. Comparing TS% from before the 3-point line was invented to TS% since '79-'80 is comparing apples to oranges. If all of Kobe's threes were changed to twos you can imagine how much that would hurt his TS%. West actually led the league in TS% a couple years and had 9 years in the top 10 to put his numbers in perspective. Kobe has never been in the top 10. In the context of his era, West was an extremely efficient scorer.

And Jordan's Washington years dragged down his career TS%. MJ's TS% in his prime was comfortably ahead of Kobe's best years (assuming Kobe doesn't finish the season at his current 62.1% clip.)

Last edited:
kobe carried the nba in the 00s.
Okay, as delusional as you sound  let's say that he did.

Here's the result.
[h3]POST-JORDAN DECLINE[/h3]
The retirement of Michael Jordan set in motion the decline in NBA ratings which continues today. Ratings for the 1999 NBA Finals  (which in fairness, came after a lockout shortened season) were down significantly from the previous year, from an 18.7 to an 11.3. Primetime regular season games, which had become fairly routine (and highly-rated) during the Jordan years, set record lows for NBC once Jordan retired. With the rise of the Los Angeles Lakers  in the early part of the 2000s (decade), ratings improved, but never to the level of the 1980s or 1990s.The highest NBA Finals ratings on NBC after Jordan left was the 2001 Finals, which featured the dominant and then-defending champion Lakers with Shaq and Kobe Bryant  versus the polarizing Allen Iverson  and the underdog Philadelphia 76ers. The ratings for that series were a 12.1, still down 35 percent from 1998. NBC's last Finals, in 2002, came after a resurgence in playoff ratings (including a 14.2 rating for Game 7 of the Western Conference Finals). However, the Finals itself registered the lowest ratings the event had seen since 1981, topping out at a 10.2 average.

Last edited:
No he did not.

Tim Duncan and the Spurs were winning chips as well. He also was not even the best player on his own team, as that was Shaq.
the spurs won 3 rings i believe in the 00s. kobe won 4 (5 if you count 2010). kobe was must see tv in the 00s. the lakers won championships as did the spurs but as to who was the one that carried the nba. it wasnt duncan. it was kobe.

and what does that have to do with his place in history? yea he snitched on shaq and that whole fiasco with malone. i dont see how that has anything to do with him making buckets and playing ball?
You asked about how he sold out teammates, and I've showed you.

The comment about selling out his teammates, came from someone suggesting that Kobe sold out everywhere he went, which is a blatant lie. I've posted the ratings from a reliable source, which proves my point that Kobe Bryant is not a serious draw.

Back
Top Bottom