IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

Okay, as delusional as you sound  let's say that he did.

Here's the result.
[h3]POST-JORDAN DECLINE[/h3]
The retirement of Michael Jordan set in motion the decline in NBA ratings which continues today. Ratings for the 1999 NBA Finals  (which in fairness, came after a lockout shortened season) were down significantly from the previous year, from an 18.7 to an 11.3. Primetime regular season games, which had become fairly routine (and highly-rated) during the Jordan years, set record lows for NBC once Jordan retired. With the rise of the Los Angeles Lakers  in the early part of the 2000s (decade), ratings improved, but never to the level of the 1980s or 1990s.The highest NBA Finals ratings on NBC after Jordan left was the 2001 Finals, which featured the dominant and then-defending champion Lakers with Shaq and Kobe Bryant  versus the polarizing Allen Iverson  and the underdog Philadelphia 76ers. The ratings for that series were a 12.1, still down 35 percent from 1998. NBC's last Finals, in 2002, came after a resurgence in playoff ratings (including a 14.2 rating for Game 7 of the Western Conference Finals). However, the Finals itself registered the lowest ratings the event had seen since 1981, topping out at a 10.2 average.
so lets say lebron james wins 7 championships between 2010 and 2019. for some reason nba attendance between this time drops 20 percent for any reason you want (economy, interest, etc.). so your saying that because 20 percent of the rating drop that will have a correlation to what he did on the court.

images

you still have not answered my question. who carried the nba in the 00s. please dont say duncan because you will have lost any credibility you have left. duncan is one of the greatest players in the history of the nba but he did not carry the nba in the 00s. it was kobe bean bryant.

the spurs won 3 rings i believe in the 00s. kobe won 4 (5 if you count 2010). kobe was must see tv in the 00s. the lakers won championships as did the spurs but as to who was the one that carried the nba. it wasnt duncan. it was kobe.
Delusional.

Shaq was the dominant force on that team, and the matchups between he and Duncan were what was promoted.

You asked about how he sold out teammates, and I've showed you.

The comment about selling out his teammates, came from someone suggesting that Kobe sold out everywhere he went, which is a blatant lie. I've posted the ratings from a reliable source, which proves my point that Kobe Bryant is not a serious draw.
once again i will ask, what does any of that have to do with what he did on the court? what did jordan beating his wife have to do with what he did on the court? nothing. people will make mistakes we are all human. none of those mistakes (snitching, etc) has nothing to do with his accomplishments on the court.

so lets say lebron james wins 7 championships between 2010 and 2019. for some reason nba attendance between this time drops 20 percent for any reason you want (economy, interest, etc.). so your saying that because 20 percent of the rating drop that will have a correlation to what he did on the court.

images

you still have not answered my question. who carried the nba in the 00s. please dont say duncan because you will have lost any credibility you have left. duncan is one of the greatest players in the history of the nba but he did not carry the nba in the 00s. it was kobe bean bryant.
What makes you think that I am concerned about what or who YOU find to be credible?

It's quite obvious that you have no clue as to what it is that you are talking about, as if Shaq didn't play on those Laker teams that won.

Kobe Bryant has NEVER been the face of the NBA.

Even David Stern said upon Jordan's final retirement that it would take a COLLECTIVE, to fill Jordan's shoes as the face of the NBA.

Kobe never rose above the rest to take over, but as soon as LeBron came into the league, everyone saw him as the future of the league, overtaking anyone else, even KOBE BRYANT.

There is video of Tim Duncan talking to LeBron after beating the Cavs in the finals, and he is telling LeBron...
Pretty soon, this is going to be your league.
He didn't say Kobe, he was talking to LeBron.

Kobe Bryant is overrated, and is not a top ten player.

Delusional.

Shaq was the dominant force on that team, and the matchups between he and Duncan were what was promoted.
shaq was a dominant force in general. he was from another planet during that 3 peat. after the 3 peat, there was another  7 or so years left in the 00s though. 3 years does not define 7. kobe was a beast during that 3 peat run and he continued to grow as the 00s continued and carried the nba during those years.

once again i will ask, what does any of that have to do with what he did on the court? what did jordan beating his wife have to do with what he did on the court? nothing. people will make mistakes we are all human. none of those mistakes (snitching, etc) has nothing to do with his accomplishments on the court.
Everyone sees what you've tried to do there. Punk move. Really, really, slimey and greasey. Anything to make your boy look good right?

At least the claims against Bryant can be proven, as there is press on it. But for you to make the claim that a man beats his wife, without any proof to back it up, really speaks volumes about what you are attempting to do.

Pathetic.

What makes you think that I am concerned about what or who YOU find to be credible?

It's quite obvious that you have no clue as to what it is that you are talking about, as if Shaq didn't play on those Laker teams that won.

Kobe Bryant has NEVER been the face of the NBA.

Even David Stern said upon Jordan's final retirement that it would take a COLLECTIVE, to fill Jordan's shoes as the face of the NBA.

Kobe never rose above the rest to take over, but as soon as LeBron came into the league, everyone saw him as the future of the league, overtaking anyone else, even KOBE BRYANT.

There is video of Tim Duncan talking to LeBron after beating the Cavs in the finals, and he is telling LeBron...

He didn't say Kobe, he was talking to LeBron.

Kobe Bryant is overrated, and is not a top ten player.
and between that conversation and lebrons first championship kobe won another 2 rings
roll.gif
. up until lebron won people still questioned if lebron would reach his potential. now that he has one lets see what he does. i never said shaq was not part of the lakers team. shaq was the alpha dog of those teams but kobe contributed about as much as shaq did and had some monster games and at times carried the team. shaq needed kobe and kobe needed shaq as did jordan needed scottie and scottie needed jordan.

At what point has Kobe Bryant ever carried the NBA, or has been considered the face of the NBA, as was Jordan?

Other than Jordan and Mikan, what player carried the NBA by themselves ? And would you agree that Kobe was ONE of the players carrying the League since the early 2000's ?

Everyone sees what you've tried to do there. Punk move. Really, really, slimey and greasey. Anything to make your boy look good right?

At least the claims against Bryant can be proven, as there is press on it. But for you to make the claim that a man beats his wife, without any proof to back it up, really speaks volumes about what you are attempting to do.

Pathetic.
punk move? how is that a punk move? my point is that what does any of that have to do with him on the court...nothing.

and between that conversation and lebrons first championship kobe won another 2 rings
roll.gif
. up until lebron won people still questioned if lebron would reach his potential. now that he has one lets see what he does. i never said shaq was not part of the lakers team. shaq was the alpha dog of those teams but kobe contributed about as much as shaq did and had some monster games and at times carried the team. shaq needed kobe and kobe needed shaq as did jordan needed scottie and scottie needed jordan.
It's pretty clear that you are nothing but a delusional fan boy. You'll slander, lie, say anything to defend Kobe Bryant. What you've done by suggesting that Jordan beat his wife, really shows what you are about. Just like Kobe, you've just snitched about something that has nothing to do with you.

Birds of a feather, flock together.

Other than Jordan and Mikan, what player carried the NBA by themselves ? And would you agree that Kobe was ONE of the players carrying the League since the early 2000's ?
Julius Erving ring a bell?

He did it in TWO leagues.

The problem with suggesting that Kobe Bryant helped to carry the league, lies in the fact that he wasn't even the best player on his TEAM in that era. He was not the show, that team led by Shaq was the show.

So Shaq was the draw, not Kobe. If you remember, he, Kobe was the main reason that Phil Jackson quit the first time. Phil wrote about the stupid beef between he and Shaq, because Kobe refused to defer to the big fella. 

It's pretty clear that you are nothing but a delusional fan boy. You'll slander, lie, say anything to defend Kobe Bryant. What you've done by suggesting that Jordan beat his wife, really shows what you are about. Just like Kobe, you've just snitched about something that has nothing to do with you.

i am not a delusional fan boy. i give props where due. i know kobe has his bad moments and i recognize them.

what did i slander and lie about to defend kobe?

there were reports that jordan had domestic violence issues with his wife. i can neither confirm nor deny that it took place because i am not michael jordan. regardless if he did/did not have domestic violence issues with his wife and that kobe was accused of rape has absolutely nothing to do with what they did on the court. which going back to the original discussion, you have yet not answered who carried the nba in the 00s according to you.

S
Julius Erving ring a bell?

He did it in TWO leagues.

The problem with suggesting that Kobe Bryant helped to carry the league, lies in the fact that he wasn't even the best player on his TEAM in that era. He was not the show, that team led by Shaq was the show.

So Shaq was the draw, not Kobe. If you remember, he, Kobe was the main reason that Phil Jackson quit the first time. Phil wrote about the stupid beef between he and Shaq, because Kobe refused to defer to the big fella. 

So we're gonna just ignore the other 2 rings that Kobe lead his team to ? Since you're using rings as the criteria now instead of marketing appeal

i am not a delusional fan boy. i give props where due. i know kobe has his bad moments and i recognize them.

what did i slander and lie about to defend kobe?

there were reports that jordan had domestic violence issues with his wife. i can neither confirm nor deny that it took place because i am not michael jordan. regardless if he did/did not have domestic violence issues with his wife and that kobe was accused of rape has absolutely nothing to do with what they did on the court. which going back to the original discussion, you have yet not answered who carried the nba in the 00s according to you.
 SMGDH at this guy.

You obviously are not worth the effort. Low life move.

Kobe is a great scorer jump shooter with the heart of a lion. His leadership is overrated. His BBall IQ is overrated.

SMGDH at this guy.

You obviously are not worth the effort. Low life move.
i already explained myself. we can continue the original discussion or you can use it as your out since you have yet to answer my question and continue to dodge it.

who was the face of the nba in 00s?

S
So we're gonna just ignore the other 2 rings that Kobe lead his team to ? Since you're using rings as the criteria now instead of marketing appeal
Naw man, rings are not the criteria. The question was, when has Kobe Bryant ever been the face of the NBA? When has he ever carried the league, when has it ever been considered his?

The nine players I've posted, every one of them, have been identified as the flag bearers for the NBA in their respective era's. If Kobe Bryant is what many of you here on Nike Talk claim that he is, top five ever, who does he push out, without ever having that credential?

Could he score? Yup. Did he improve his game? Yup. Kobe Bryant is also one of the best conditioned athletes I've ever seen. Dude can play through injury like no other. How he compartmentalized, and then played as well as he did during the trial in Colorado was flat out amazing. Lesser players have broke under less pressure.

Props given.

But given all of that, he still wasn't the best player on his team in that era.

Now that his career is on the wane, looking back, there were many more mishaps and questions about who he is as a player, than any other of those who are considered an all time great by his fans.

For me, the biggest question is, has he ever been the face of the NBA, and what has he done that transcends the game? 

Everyone of these guys, from Mikan to Jordan, did something to make their mark, then making the NBA to be their show. They've made people who do not like the game, pay attention to the game. They forced rules to be changed, then left their mark, leaving the game better after they've left the game.

What, has Kobe actually done?! 

1 MVP means you were the best player in the league ONE season but I digress....
have you read the book of basketball? there is a great piece on the 'real' mvps. certain players won mvps and they really were not but the votes went their way. jordan should really have 7 or 8.

1 MVP means you were the best player in the league ONE season but I digress....

No it doesent.....mvp awards are given out for various reasons.....u can be the best player in the league but if u play with a bunch of scrubs and don't have a top 5 record u won't win it, along with a bunch of diffrent reasons

roll.gif

roll.gif

Its beyond pathetic that you spend your whole life riding and defending a guy that has no idea who you are, as if he were your first true love.

I spend my whole life riding Kobe? LOL

Kobe haters are comedy.

I appreciate Kobe success while yall looking like scorned females.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom