IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

No it doesent.....mvp awards are given out for various reasons.....u can be the best player in the league but if u play with a bunch of scrubs and don't have a top 5 record u won't win it, along with a bunch of diffrent reasons

THis is true

Usually the guy on the team with the best record win MVP.

1 MVP means you were the best player in the league ONE season but I digress....

have you read the book of basketball? there is a great piece on the 'real' mvps. certain players won mvps and they really were not but the votes went their way. jordan should really have 7 or 8.

That's true but Kobe is DEFINITELY not one of those players.

Shaq, Duncan, Nash, Iverson, McGrady, LeBron, Dirk all had better years and were more important to their teams success during Kobe career.

He was the most valuable player in the league once (arguably twice) and his MVP's reflect that.

Last edited:
Ever since MJ retired. Nobody dominate the league and sold out arena like Kobe.

Best player of 2000s era. PERIOD:smokin :smokin

^ Most people are aware of that, but it doesn't mean he's currently overrated. ESPN hasn't considered this guy top 5 in years. I would say that's underrating him cause each year they placed some one who was clearly not better than him (i.e. Wade, Rose, Dirk, etc) ahead of him. I'm guessing they just assume, cause of his age, he will finally slow down but he continues to prove them wrong.

Last edited:
In general, no. But the past couple years, yes. He's just not as good as he used to be.

People make it seem like his stats have dropped off hard.

When last year alone he was leading the league in scoring up until the last week of the season where he decided to sit 3 or 5 of the last games to rest up.

This season right now he's leading the league in scoring again while shooting over 50% from the field.

Seriously Kobe HATERS tell lies and make it seem like his stats have dropped off to the point what Jordan was doing in his 3rd comeback while playing for the Wizards.

Heck a couple seasons back Kobe HATERS here in NT made a 20+ dedicated thread saying Kobe doesn't dunk anymore :lol:

Last edited:
1 MVP means you were the best player in the league ONE season but I digress....

Not really getting into this discussion but this is awful logic.

Say player "A" has a great career and never wins MVP, but is the Runner Up for 5 years straight.

Players B, C, D, E and F all win an MVP once during that stretch, but aren't really in the discussion the other 4 years.

Player A gets no credit as one of the greats for consistency at a high level?

*Jaguars fan gif*

Say player "A" has a great career and never wins MVP, but is the Runner Up for 5 years straight.
Players B, C, D, E and F all win an MVP once during that stretch, but aren't really in the discussion the other 4 years.
*Jaguars fan gif*

this dude gets it.

Almost all the HOF 'ers All Time Greats can be discredited if you wanna be a douchebag and nitpick hard enough, but the question is really what kinda lames jump thru hoops and come from so many angles to downplay greatness.

Kareem and Oscar put up crazy numbers but neither won alone EVER, so why are both in your top 10 ?

According to your logic and list all of them had to ALWAYS be the best player on their own teams, but if 2 all timers team up thats not possible.

Same in LA Kareem put up stats, but guess when the chips rolled in ? 1979 draft when magic and showtime started, before that Kareem had little playoff success in LA.

Doctor J, guess when he won in the nba ? When Moses Malone came thru, and said fo fo fo btw Moses was the league MVP the year before the trade AND the chip year so Doc wasnt ALWAYS the best player on his team either.

Theyre all still great to me but according to your logic they dont deserve to be in the top 10.

Thats about right.

Definition of Jealousy
1. jealous resentment against a rival, a person enjoying success or advantage, etc., or against another's success or advantage itself.
mental uneasiness from suspicion or fear of rivalry, unfaithfulness, etc., as in love or aims.
vigilance in maintaining or guarding something.
a jealous feeling, disposition, state, or mood.

This is what Kobe haters feel everytime they see him :smokin

With success come hate :smokin

Traits of loser and scorn females :smokin

Last edited:
Almost all the HOF 'ers All Time Greats can be discredited if you wanna be a douchebag and nitpick hard enough, but the question is really what kinda lames jump thru hoops and come from so many angles to downplay greatness.
Kareem and Oscar put up crazy numbers but neither won alone EVER, so why are both in your top 10 ?
According to your logic and list all of them had to ALWAYS be the best player on their own teams, but if 2 all timers team up thats not possible.
Same in LA Kareem put up stats, but guess when the chips rolled in ? 1979 draft when magic and showtime started, before that Kareem had little playoff success in LA.
Doctor J, guess when he won in the nba ? When Moses Malone came thru, and said fo fo fo btw Moses was the league MVP the year before the trade AND the chip year so Doc wasnt ALWAYS the best player on his team either.
Theyre all still great to me but according to your logic they dont deserve to be in the top 10.
So when people use facts in order to support their arguments, they are now considered douchebags?

Nitpick?

This proves that many of you are not ready for real life. What do you do when there is no report button to press? Stick your fingers into your ears, then start babbling in a incoherent fashion?

Perhaps that may also explain the lack of comprehension around here.

The point I made was that Kobe Bryant has never, ever, been seen as the face of the NBA, while all others who are considered the top ten, were not only the faces of the league, but also some damned good, innovative, consistent, and transcendent players, in which Kobe Bryant is not. Consistently, while in his prime, not only did the gate receipts for the NBA decline, but television revenue declined as well. If he was what those of you claim that he is, that drop off would not have been as significant as it was.
You can't be serious with any of these statements.
Deadly serious. 

In fact, I have numbers to back me up.

How about you?

Definition of Jealousy
1. jealous resentment against a rival, a person enjoying success or advantage, etc., or against another's success or advantage itself.
mental uneasiness from suspicion or fear of rivalry, unfaithfulness, etc., as in love or aims.
vigilance in maintaining or guarding something.
a jealous feeling, disposition, state, or mood.
This is what Kobe haters feel everytime they see him
smokin.gif

With success come hate
smokin.gif

Traits of losers if life and scorn females
smokin.gif
So because people do not think that Kobe Bryant is a top ten player in NBA history, you've stooped to calling people loser, then exhibiting the behaviours of scorned females, correct?

Can't people say the same thing about YOU, since it seems that you have no respect for those who came before Kobe Bryant?

Last edited:
Everything that MertonHanks said about him right on point. Look at him posting Definitions :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:
So because people do not think that Kobe Bryant is a top ten player in NBA history, you've stooped to calling people loser, then exhibiting the behaviours of scorned females, correct?

Can't people say the same thing about YOU, since it seems that you have no respect for those who came before Kobe Bryant?

I didn't make a thread about who is overrated and not. At least not the top NBA talents

Not only are you discrediting Kobe but you disrespected him to the point that you compare him to Robert Horry lol

At the end of the day the majority of basketball world will rank Kobe in the top 10 of all time and top 5 SG all time when it all set and done. You belong in the minority lol. You're a nobody looking in from a distance.

You said Kobe is not the face of the NBA but the guy has always been in the discussion of Jordan and consistently being talked about through out the 2000s. At 34 Kobe is still the number 1 most popular active player in NBA according to a recent ESPN poll

Impact has very little to do with how good a player is. Yao Ming has an impact on the NBA and the China basketball. Is he a top 10 at his position? Where does he rank all time? Same can be said about Jeremi Lin lol. 6 foot ish Asian who can play point guard in NBA. Is Jeremi Lin a top 10 PG of all time? Again impact has little to do with how good you are among your peers. Wilt, Russle etc happen to be the top because they were the first few black big guy who played against 6'7 white unathletic no name centers. Whenever a big guy like Wilt shoot 40 free throw and put up 100 points you know competition is not there LOL.

There's no accurate way to measure rating neither.

The NBA is being watched around the world more and more every season ever since the early 2000s (Kobe era) So your claim on NBA rating being down is nothing but a lie

Kobe top 10 when it all set and done. Already top 5 SG of all time and arguably best Lakers of all time.

I didn't make a thread about who is overrated and not. At least not the top NBA talents
Not only are you discrediting Kobe but you disrespected him to the point that you compare him to Robert Horry lol
At the end of the day the majority of basketball world will rank Kobe in the top 10 of all time and top 5 SG all time when it all set and done. You belong in the minority lol. You're a nobody looking in from a distance.
You said Kobe is not the face of the NBA but the guy has always been in the discussion of Jordan and consistently being talked about through out the 2000s. At 34 Kobe is still the number 1 most popular active player in NBA according to a recent ESPN poll
Impact has very little to do with how good a player is. Yao Ming has an impact on the NBA and the China basketball. Is he a top 10 at his position? Where does he rank all time? Same can be said about Jeremi Lin lol. 6 foot ish Asian who can play point guard in NBA. Is Jeremi Lin a top 10 PG of all time? Again impact has little to do with how good you are among your peers. Wilt, Russle etc happen to be the top because they were the first few black big guy who played against 6'7 white unathletic no name centers. Whenever a big guy like Wilt shoot 40 free throw and put up 100 points you know competition is not there LOL.
There's no accurate way to measure rating neither.
The NBA is being watched around the world more and more every season ever since the early 2000s (Kobe era) So your claim on NBA rating being down is nothing but a lie
Kobe top 10 when it all set and done. Already top 5 SG of all time and arguably best Lakers of all time.
Considering that Horry has had pretty productive career as a clutch performer, one with multiple rings, I don't see how it's an insult by asking that if rings alone are the barometer of greatness for Kobe Bryant, why shouldn't the same be said of Horry?

It seems that some of you revel in selective reasoning.

Also, in regard to the underlined comment, you do realize that the NBA keeps track of such numbers right? Where do you think that the wiki info came from?

Here, I'll post it again for you.
[h3] [/h3]
[h3]Post-Jordan decline[/h3]
The retirement of Michael Jordan set in motion the decline in NBA ratings which continues today. Ratings for the 1999 NBA Finals  (which in fairness, came after a lockout shortened season) were down significantly from the previous year, from an 18.7 to an 11.3. Primetime regular season games, which had become fairly routine (and highly-rated) during the Jordan years, set record lows for NBC once Jordan retired. With the rise of the Los Angeles Lakers  in the early part of the 2000s (decade), ratings improved, but never to the level of the 1980s or 1990s.The highest NBA Finals ratings on NBC after Jordan left was the 2001 Finals, which featured the dominant and then-defending champion Lakers with Shaq and Kobe Bryant  versus the polarizing Allen Iverson  and the underdog Philadelphia 76ers. The ratings for that series were a 12.1, still down 35 percent from 1998. NBC's last Finals, in 2002, came after a resurgence in playoff ratings (including a 14.2 rating for Game 7 of the Western Conference Finals). However, the Finals itself registered the lowest ratings the event had seen since 1981, topping out at a 10.2 average.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Basketball_Association_Nielsen_ratings
So, the nielsen ratings are now a lie?!

Like I've said, Kobe fans on Nike Talk are worse than the fans of Penn State and Joe Paterno.

Delusional isn't a strong enough term.

Last edited:
*Jaguars fan gif*

I get what you're saying but were talking about the "2nd best player of all time" who "dominated the 2000s".

How can somebody so dominant only win 1 MVP in 15 years?

We always bring up championships when comparing Kobe to others when clearly its a team accomplishment. But individually he's been good not great.

Even in his 5 chips he's been Finals MVP only 40% of the time.

*Jaguars fan gif*

I get what you're saying but were talking about the "2nd best player of all time" who "dominated the 2000s".

How can somebody so dominant only win 1 MVP in 15 years?

We always bring up championships when comparing Kobe to others when clearly its a team accomplishment. But individually he's been good not great.

Even in his 5 chips he's been Finals MVP only 40% of the time.

How many player have more than 2 finals MVP's? Kareem and Bird got 2 also. Are we gonna discredit them to.

Everything that MertonHanks said about him right on point. Look at him posting Definitions :rofl: :rofl:

Yeap you definitely know a thing or two about definition of jealousy. After all you're a Warrior fan lol. Envy lol

I'm not jealous at all :lol:

I feel sorry for you. No man should be riding another man as hard as you do.

Dude is definitely riding but lets be honest you can say the same thing about the people that have 20+ replies saying he's overrated.

Back
Top Bottom