IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

Sure, but there are other times when the correct play would be hitting the open man for an uncontested shot, rather than taking a contested one in an iso situation.

Iso/hero ball gets you nowhere, look at the Thunder.
The thunders problems is that they lack the depth needed for a championship. Although it has been getting better, they are way to reliant upon Durant and Westbrook. I would rather have those guys take the shot anyway rather than Lamb, (previously) Thabo, Jackson.

I understand being a stats fan so heres on.

5-2 in the finals

or 2-3 in the finals with losing by the largest margin in finals history. Go ahead and keep passing to Chalmers

:lol:

Dont worry, someone will try to discredit the numbers somehow.

It's just funny because even if you do believe in clutch, then why does he significantly underperform in elimination games and G7's?

Aren't those the 2 times when a clutch player would excel?

Elimination games: 21.5 ppg on 41.4% FG with 5.8rpg and 3.5apg (19 games)

G7's: 22.2ppg on 38.9% FG with 8.0rpg and 5.0apg (6 games)

I'm just a stupid stats guy, tho, I'm sure there's a logical explanation to all of this.

:nerd:

I'll give it a whirl.

Game 7 2000
25-11-7-4 blocks in a comeback win

Game 7 2002
30-10-7 2 steals in an OT win on the road

Game 7 2006
24-4-1 in a blowout loss

Game 7 2009
14-7-5-3-2 in a blowout win

Game 7 2010
23-15-2 in a tight win

Game 7 2012
17-1-8 in a win playing 45 minutes, at age 33, with Mike Brown.

I would imagine, numbers get skewed with the 6-24, and the 2009 game in which it was a blowout win and no need for added time.

As a whole, I would say the 2000, 2002, 2009, and 2010 games are more than acceptable. He was lights out in the first half of 2006, and they were losing by 15, and 2012 was a win at an advanced age.

These games are an indictment of him being clutch? 5 wins and a blowout loss to a superior team on the road?

C'mon, you can do better than that, CP.

Last edited by a moderator:
C'mon, you can do better than that, CP.

Ok, how about the series that mattered out West?

Kobe was 7-0 in the WCF's from 2000-2010. Most of those were considered the "real" Finals. Think, 2000 Portland, 01 San An, and 2002 Sac, or the Pacers, 6ers, and Nets of the Finals? :nerd:

2000 vs Portland
20.4/5.9/4.9/2/1.6

2001 vs SA
33.3/7/7/1/1.5

2002 vs Sac
27.1/3.8/6.3/1.1/1.4

2004 vs Minn
24.3/5.5/4/.3/1.5

2008 vs SA
29.2/3.8/5.6/0/1.6

2009 vs Den’
34/5.8/5.8/.5/1

2010 vs Suns
33.6/8.3/7.2/1.1/1

As I already pointed out, the 2000 and 02 series featured great game 7's by him. Against the best teams they faced those years. (or any years, maybe) He stole the Spurs souls in 01 starting with dropping 45 on them in their gym game 1.

And what he did to the Suns shouldn't have been legal. :smh:

(Numbers are points, assists, rebounds, blocks, steals in order)

I don't know, man.

I'm not saying he's never dominated games/series'.

I'm talking about the 25 biggest games of his career.

I feel like the numbers are pretty irrefutable.

If we take names out of this equation and I tell you a guy has avg 25/5/5 on 45% over his entire career and then avg something close to 22/6/4 on 40% in the 25 biggest games of his career, I don't feel like that's somebody that casual fans would label "clutch".

Again, I think clutch is complete nonsense, I'm just saying.

I don't know, man.

If we take names out of this equation and I tell you a guy has avg 25/5/5 on 45% over his entire career and then avg something close to 22/6/4 on 40% in the 25 biggest games of his career, I don't feel like that's somebody that casual fans would label "clutch".

Well, the first thing I question, is this 19 elimination game thing. Like, are we counting 1997, when he's 18 years old and comin off the bench?
Or 1998 when he was 19, and went 2 for 2 in 19 minutes?

And from what I am lookin at (I have every playoff game he's every played in front of me) I'm not findin 19 games.

I have

2000 x 2
2012 x 2

I count that as 16 elimination games. The first two are him as a teenager, off the bench. Scoring 11 and 6 points.

Where does the 19 come from?

losing by the largest margin in finals history. Go ahead and keep passing to Chalmers

Yeah, except he averaged 28, 8, and 4 on 57/52/79 shooting in the series. His usage rate in the series was 33%, I don't know how much higher you think it should've been. San Antonio as a whole just destroyed Miami as a whole. This is why it's dumb to only use team performance to judge individual players. I don't know what it's gonna take to get people to realize it's a team sport.

I don't know, man.

Well, the first thing I question, is this 19 elimination game thing. Like, are we counting 1997, when he's 18 years old and comin off the bench?
Or 1998 when he was 19, and went 2 for 2 in 19 minutes?

And from what I am lookin at (I have every playoff game he's every played in front of me) I'm not findin 19 games.

I have

2000 x 2
2012 x 2

I count that as 16 elimination games. The first two are him as a teenager, off the bench. Scoring 11 and 6 points.

Where does the 19 come from?

He had 2 in 2002 and 2010 and 1 more in 2013.

Update your spreadsheet, bruh.

I thought you were a Kobe fan? Sheesh.

I actually just realized that I lumped G7's and elimination games together which was pretty stupid considering they're the same thing, :lol:

So it's actually just the biggest 19 games of his career and not 25, my bad.

losing by the largest margin in finals history. Go ahead and keep passing to Chalmers

Yeah, except he averaged 28, 8, and 4 on 57/52/79 shooting in the series. His usage rate in the series was 33%, I don't know how much higher you think it should've been. San Antonio as a whole just destroyed Miami as a whole. This is why it's dumb to only use team performance to judge individual players. I don't know what it's gonna take to get people to realize it's a team sport.

Don't waste your time, bro.

Some posts don't warrant responses, this was one of them, :lol:

Uhhhhh, he didn't play in the 2013 playoffs man. Achilles..... :\

And 2002, the Sacramento series is the only game the Lakers faced elimination. They swept the Blazers, the swept the Nets, they beat the Spurs in 5, HOLY ****, he played 2 games vs the Kings in the same series that count as elims!!!!!!

Ok, hold on a sec, that's my bad. Yep, 2010 also then. Boston twice. Ok, now I got it.

Ok, well, considering I get to add game 6 of 2002, a game he went 31/11/5, I'd say that's fairly decent. And game 6 2010? 26/11/3/4 steals in a 22 point blowout win. Followed by the 23/15/2 game 7, just with horrible shooting.

Iono, maybe tomorrow I can break all those games down now that we have them identified. But like I said, 97-98 are games that drag down his averages, but hardly count in the grand scheme of his career. From 2000-12, nobody won more than he did during the prime of his career. Despite a complete rebuild, coaches come, go, come back, various injuries to his shooting hand, ankle, shoulder, rape....... :lol: He racked up a **** ton of winning/accolades in that stretch before he tore his achilles.

And 2002, the Sacramento series is the only game the Lakers faced elimination. They swept the Blazers, the swept the Nets, they beat the Spurs in 5, HOLY ****, he played 2 games vs the Kings in the same series that count as elims!!!!!!

Ok, hold on a sec, that's my bad. Yep, 2010 also then. Boston twice. Ok, now I got it.

Ok, well, considering I get to add game 6 of 2002, a game he went 31/11/5, I'd say that's fairly decent. And game 6 2010? 26/11/3/4 steals in a 22 point blowout win. Followed by the 23/15/2 game 7, just with horrible shooting.

Iono, maybe tomorrow I can break all those games down now that we have them identified. But like I said, 97-98 are games that drag down his averages, but hardly count in the grand scheme of his career. From 2000-12, nobody won more than he did during the prime of his career. Despite a complete rebuild, coaches come, go, come back, various injuries to his shooting hand, ankle, shoulder, rape....... :lol: He racked up a **** ton of winning/accolades in that stretch before he tore his achilles.

G4 in 2012-2013 against the Spurs, no?

There's a chance im wrong, I haven't slept in almost 2 days, :lol:

G4 in 2012-2013 against the Spurs, no?

There's a chance im wrong, I haven't slept in almost 2 days, :lol:

No, he missed that whole series. Tore his achilles in the 80th game of the year, missed the playoffs that season.

Last edited:
laugh.gif

I realize its a team sport. I was more so commenting on the fact that is better to have the best most capable player of making the shot make it. Why pass it off unless its to Ray Allen with an open three. I feel like big time players take a big time shot. If your team is "bad" or not playing well I don't think you should put the ball in their hands. Lebron had a great series but lots of those stats were during garbage time. To keep the thread on topic though ill leave it alone.

what is all this nonsense going on?

why are we bringing up espn worthy stats like playoff elimination games to prove anything?

kobe dominates a series to the point where the lakers sweep and none of those games matter because he never played an elimination game 
grin.gif

how will we ever know how clutch mj was in the finals, his team never played a game 7

games 1-2-3-4 of the nba finals doesnt count but for some reason game 4 vs the mavs in 2012 is considered one of the 25 biggest games of his career. this is what happens when you blindly use stats to tell your story without thinking

I realize its a team sport. I was more so commenting on the fact that is better to have the best most capable player of making the shot make it. Why pass it off unless its to Ray Allen with an open three. I feel like big time players take a big time shot. If your team is "bad" or not playing well I don't think you should put the ball in their hands. Lebron had a great series but lots of those stats were during garbage time. To keep the thread on topic though ill leave it alone.

There's the fallacy in your thing. "Big time players" make the big time plays, not take the big time shots. At least that's how it should be. Big time players make big time players whether it's 1 min into the game or 47 min into the game, thus nullifying the clutch bs

Last edited:
What the hell game is it then? Maybe it is only 18.

I had 19, you had 16 and it's neither apparently, :lol:

We suck and I need to take my *** to bed.

why are we bringing up espn worthy stats like playoff elimination games to prove anything?

kobe dominates a series to the point where the lakers sweep and none of those games matter because he never played an elimination game >D

how will we ever know how clutch mj was in the finals, his team never played a game 7

games 1-2-3-4 of the nba finals doesnt count but for some reason game 4 vs the mavs in 2012 is considered one of the 25 biggest games of his career. this is what happens when you blindly use stats to tell your story without thinking

I'm not blindly using anything, you're a Kobe rider so you're going to disagree w/ anything that I say and then get reps from the Kobe brigade.

Elimanation games are always big games, I don't care if his team was in an 0-3 hole.

He underperforms in elimination games, it's a fact, just like him having 5 rings is a fact.

I've also said numerous times that clutch doesnt even exist, so I really don't understand your point.

And you're a Kobe hater. You're no better. Except you get no reps.

Yes, I'm a Kobe hater that spends thousands on his sneakers each year.

I hate the man so much that I put money in his pockets, :lol:

It's also comical to me how someone will post a video of Kobe hitting a late game shot trying to prove he's clutch and then I'll show data stating he shoots horribly in every "clutch" situation and the Kobe brigade comes out in full force trying to discredit it.

Oh, well, he played one game in 1997, so....

Oh, well, this game was a blowout, so....

kobe dominates a series to the point where the lakers sweep and none of those games matter because he never played an elimination game 
grin.gif

I'm not blindly using anything, you're a Kobe rider so you're going to disagree w/ anything that I say and then get reps from the Kobe brigade.

Elimanation games are always big games, I don't care if his team was in an 0-3 hole.

He underperforms in elimination games, it's a fact, just like him having 5 rings is a fact.
all you do is blindly use stats to back your poorly constructed arguments

actually no, i cant even call what you do an argument its literally just blindly throwing stats on the page and calling it a day

every playoff game is always a big game. how are you going to talk about clutch is meaningless because there is no difference in shooting between quarter 1 and 4 but then spew out garbage like elimination games are always the most important games. 

maybe i should just come up with some counter dumb stat and use his all star mvps as a way to prove he overperforms when playing with the best players in the world

Reactions: MVP
What are you even saying?

There is no such thing as clutch, I've said it a million times.

How does that mean that elimination games aren't big games?

Big shots exist, clutch doesn't.

No, you're right, man, my arguments are poorly constructed.

Dudes in here will be like LOL KOBE HAS MOST MISSED SHOTS EVAR HE SUCKS.

LOL KOBE IS TOP 3, BYE.

But MY arguments are poorly constructed?

Alrighty then, I'll let my dude GVH or w/e his name is keep this thread going, :lol:

Back
Top Bottom