IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

I get that, but he should've realized a long time ago that taking contested 18 footers isn't good basketball, :lol:

There's a huge difference between being asked to score and forcing it.

It's especially awful these past few years because their transition D has been pretty much non existent.

You're not doing your D any favors by fading away from 20 ft while double teamed.

and yet this will fall on deaf ears

I get that, but he should've realized a long time ago that taking contested 18 footers isn't good basketball, :lol:

It's especially awful these past few years because their transition D has been pretty much non existent.

You're not doing your D any favors by fading away from 20 ft while double teamed.

That's true, but his contested 18 footers have only been a huge problem this year.

He's always taken contested long two's which can be considered "bad shots," but for most of his career he was good enough at them and/or balanced them a lot better with the rest of his game that they weren't a huge problem.

This year is a different story, of course. It's a much larger part of his game, so the inefficiency in them shows.

Last edited:
I get that, but he should've realized a long time ago that taking contested 18 footers isn't good basketball,
laugh.gif

That's true, but his contested 18 footers have only been a huge problem this year.
Fiction.

Unfiltered, raw, concentrated lies.

Fiction.

A huge problem in the sense that he relies on them way more than ever before, and it's bringing down his efficiency/overall game/team/etc.

He's always taken them and maybe they were problematic in some ways, but not like this. He would take bad shots but he was still really good overall and the Lakers were winning, so it was hard to classify as a huge problem.

Last edited:
Fiction.

A huge problem in the sense that he relies on them way more than ever before, and it's bringing down his efficiency/overall game/team/etc.

He's always taken them and maybe they were problematic in some ways, but not like this. He would take bad shots but he was still really good overall and  (he was teammates w/ Shaq & Pau and Phil was the coach so) the Lakers were winning, so it was hard to classify as a (easy for some to ignore the) huge problem.
But others have seen it regardless.

the Lakers were winning, so it was hard to classify as a (easy for some to ignore the) huge problem.

That would imply Kobe was playing exactly like this, we were just looking for excuses to ignore it.

I don't think that's the case. I'm not trying to say Kobe has never played selfish, but these days he's like a caricature of his old self.

There are definitely problems about both old Kobe and today's Kobe, but they're different. Today's problems are worse.

Old Kobe took some bad shots - but it wasn't as big of a problem because he took less, had better ability to make bad shots w/ his elevation and explosiveness (a skill that helped the Lakers in a few instances), had the ability to attack the rim and get past the defender. And played with Shaq & Pau and under Phil, of course :smile:.

I'm not trying to excuse him for it completely, just saying he wasn't really defined by "forcing it" with contested 18 footers until recently.

Last edited:

He's always taken contested long two's which can be considered "bad shots," but for most of his career he was good enough at them and/or balanced them a lot better with the rest of his game that they weren't a huge problem.

This year is a different story, of course. It's a much larger part of his game, so the inefficiency in them shows.

^ you see this right here?

THIS is when you know you have a problem.

I think he was just pointing out not only were you wrong, but you then tried to justify it by saying that he was a good bad shot taker.

Bad shots are bad shots, unless you're Steph Curry and then the term "bad shot" fails to apply to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't say he was a "good" bad shot maker (though someone could probably argue he was). I said he was good enough at making them (along with being great at multiple other things) that those bad shots weren't a huge problem. That's not to imply that him taking contested, bad shots were good, justified, or whatever. Just that they weren't a huge problem.

I'm talking a huge problem, on a broad level. To the point where it defined his game.

There's definitely been games, stretches, or important series (Detroit) where it's hurt.

But on a broad level, I don't see how one of the Lakers' most important players can have a huge problem in his game, and them still be successful.

Last edited:
bad shot maker is an overblown term. Kobe is just not very good at selecting the available shots. BUT, he is good at making any kind of shot, even the hard ones. So there aren't really bad shots for Kobe because of his skill. I guess the bad thing right now is that they don't play team ball at all and the iso plays and bad shots being taken are magnified.

Team Building with the GOAT.

...good ole Kobe :lol:

real basketball players know how harmful his attitude has been more than helpful

marinate on that for a minute

if a teamates attitude like that can help produce 5 chips
imagine if he was a team player?

good riddance
i hope he goes out with an injury

Last edited:

real basketball players know how harmful his attitude has been more than helpful

good riddance

Former Laker Darius Morris: Kobe Bryant 'one of the best' teammates

http://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...darius-morris-kobe-bryant-20140826-story.html
"Honestly I can say he was one of the best [teammates] I had on and off the court," Morris wrote. "He schooled me in the business and lifestyle of the NBA."

"He was never negative or talked down to anybody and I was there where when [he went through] some tough times, but he went out of his way to be helpful towards me, push me and to think big picture in life and to have the mental toughness to remain [focused] and never be satisfied."

Jamison
http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles...amison-on-the-kobe-bryant-teammate-experience

"It's great to be with him," Jamison said. "I love a guy who expects so much from his teammates. He pushes his teammates. After games, we're traveling, guys are on their laptops, their iPads, watching movies, listening to music, this guy is watching film. He's breaking down situations. I'll be watching a movie, he'll tap me like, 'Come here.' He'll dissect plays like, 'This is what we got to do, me and you got to get this going.' I mean, this guy eats, sleeps basketball and the only thing he wants to do is to win another championship and I've never seen anybody as focused, as dedicated as Kobe."

Gasol

http://www.lakersnation.com/pau-gas...lationship-goes-beyond-basketball/2014/07/18/

“We have a true friendship. We talked. He told me he will always support me. Our relationship goes beyond basketball. Our friendship is for life. He said he will always be there for me as I will be for him.”

Nick Young:
“Playing on a team with a player like Kobe who has taken me under his wing has been one of the best things for me.”

Julius Randle:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20141105-story.html
"Today was the first day I got out of the house. Just been sitting on the couch," he said Tuesday, adding that he hooked up a video-game console earlier in the day.

It wasn't an easy seven days for the seventh overall pick in this year's draft. He took off for a layup attempt against Houston and his season was ruined by the time he landed.

He acknowledged his share of tears and frustration, crediting Kobe Bryant as one of the people who "helped me really get out of my pity party."

Bryant's message: You're not the first player to experience a serious injury and you're going to have a great comeback.

"Your rehabilitation and your mind-set starts now" were Bryant's words, Randle said.

Jodie Meeks
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....bring-some-kobe-bryant-work-ethic-to-detroit/
“Practice was at 11, we had to be there at 10. Well, I wanted to get there at 10,” Meeks said. “He was already there fully dressed and sweating. I got to the locker room at 9:30, got on the court at 10, and he had been there an hour and a half working on stuff.

“I was like, ‘Man, it is true.’ This guy is working like this and at the time he was 34 years old. He felt like he still had a lot to prove, and he was still trying to prove people wrong. I was like, ‘Man, great player….’

“No matter if he was sick or hurt or injured, he never made excuses. He just kept working hard. He got better, and you see where he’s at.”

Last edited:
just found this stat interesting in the comparison. is he overrated? IMO not if you rate him just inside your top 10. considered top 3 or 5 then yes. IMO
View media item 1302395
Sorry if posted

in the comparison directly w/ MJ...the bottom line is, he just wasnt as efficient as jordan was.

Last edited:

good riddance

Former Laker Darius Morris: Kobe Bryant 'one of the best' teammates

http://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...darius-morris-kobe-bryant-20140826-story.html
"Honestly I can say he was one of the best [teammates] I had on and off the court," Morris wrote. "He schooled me in the business and lifestyle of the NBA."

"He was never negative or talked down to anybody and I was there where when [he went through] some tough times, but he went out of his way to be helpful towards me, push me and to think big picture in life and to have the mental toughness to remain [focused] and never be satisfied."

Jamison
http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles...amison-on-the-kobe-bryant-teammate-experience

"It's great to be with him," Jamison said. "I love a guy who expects so much from his teammates. He pushes his teammates. After games, we're traveling, guys are on their laptops, their iPads, watching movies, listening to music, this guy is watching film. He's breaking down situations. I'll be watching a movie, he'll tap me like, 'Come here.' He'll dissect plays like, 'This is what we got to do, me and you got to get this going.' I mean, this guy eats, sleeps basketball and the only thing he wants to do is to win another championship and I've never seen anybody as focused, as dedicated as Kobe."

Gasol

http://www.lakersnation.com/pau-gas...lationship-goes-beyond-basketball/2014/07/18/

“We have a true friendship. We talked. He told me he will always support me. Our relationship goes beyond basketball. Our friendship is for life. He said he will always be there for me as I will be for him.”

Nick Young:
“Playing on a team with a player like Kobe who has taken me under his wing has been one of the best things for me.”

Julius Randle:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20141105-story.html
"Today was the first day I got out of the house. Just been sitting on the couch," he said Tuesday, adding that he hooked up a video-game console earlier in the day.

It wasn't an easy seven days for the seventh overall pick in this year's draft. He took off for a layup attempt against Houston and his season was ruined by the time he landed.

He acknowledged his share of tears and frustration, crediting Kobe Bryant as one of the people who "helped me really get out of my pity party."

Bryant's message: You're not the first player to experience a serious injury and you're going to have a great comeback.

"Your rehabilitation and your mind-set starts now" were Bryant's words, Randle said.

Jodie Meeks
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....bring-some-kobe-bryant-work-ethic-to-detroit/
“Practice was at 11, we had to be there at 10. Well, I wanted to get there at 10,” Meeks said. “He was already there fully dressed and sweating. I got to the locker room at 9:30, got on the court at 10, and he had been there an hour and a half working on stuff.

“I was like, ‘Man, it is true.’ This guy is working like this and at the time he was 34 years old. He felt like he still had a lot to prove, and he was still trying to prove people wrong. I was like, ‘Man, great player….’

“No matter if he was sick or hurt or injured, he never made excuses. He just kept working hard. He got better, and you see where he’s at.”

There is a reason when the Lakers had a ton of cap space no one wanted to play with him and one of the biggest free agents in recent years chucked the deuce.

No one likes that dude man. Them bums saying what they have to to keep getting them checks.

If Gasol loved him so much he would be in LA.

Last edited:
There is a reason when the Lakers had a ton of cap space no one wanted to play with him and one of the biggest free agents in recent years chucked the deuce.

No one likes that dude man. Them bums saying what they have to to keep getting them checks.

They chased the 2 biggest names, one stayed. One went back home, and didn't consider anywhere else. And then they sat on the cap space. They didn't pursue Isaiah Thomas who said he wanted to be a Laker, a month ago. Or Lance Stephenson who they could have had.

And when that same Big Free Agent who left tried to recruit Melo & Bosh. Even called on LeBron. They all declined. When both would have been in far better shape in Houston than with New York or Miami respectively.

None of their pay checks are threatened by saying they don't prefer to play with Kobe :lol: And Meeks said it after his contract went up X6 to play for another team. Darius Morris said it after he was cut by the Lakers. Jamison said it when he left the Lakers to go to the Clippers. Pau said it after he left for the Bulls. Nick Young idolizes the guy. And Julius Randle is their newest first round pick who had a devastating injury. If Kobe was the worst teammate, he wouldn't even bother trying to encourage him.

Last edited:
"/ 

Hmm.... go to the Bulls and play with Rose, Butler, Noah, Gibson.....  be a lock to make the Eastern Conference Finals...

ORRRRRR

ride into the sunset with Kobe and Swaggy P..... with no chance in hell at even sniffing the post season in the West 

"/ 

Hmm.... go to the Bulls and play with Rose, Butler, Noah, Gibson.....  be a lock to make the Eastern Conference Finals...

ORRRRRR

ride into the sunset with Kobe and Swaggy P..... with no chance in hell at even sniffing the post season in the West 

Add onto the fact that the Lakers tried to trade him every day for almost 3 seasons.

Gasol isn't a good example

"It was difficult," Gasol told reporters when asked about informing Bryant of his decision to sign with the Bulls. "We have a close friendship. We've been through a lot together, and I'm sure I will miss him. But we talked to each other and our relationship goes beyond basketball and we'll always have a friendship.

"It was difficult to talk to him, but he was very supportive and he understood. He just said I had to do what was best for me and what felt right for me and he was going to support me no matter what. That's what friends and brothers do, and that's what we are."

Last edited:
Kobe in the TOP 10. About right.

Kobe in the TOP 5. overrated.
just found this stat interesting in the comparison. is he overrated? IMO not if you rate him just inside your top 10. considered top 3 or 5 then yes. IMO
View media item 1302395
Sorry if posted

in the comparison directly w/ MJ...the bottom line is, he just wasnt as efficient as jordan was.

Perfectly said.....:smokin

What are guys supposed to say? Bash him and sound bitter?

It's good PR, nothing more.

It's Pau saying the same thing he's been saying about Kobe for years.

There's no reason to believe Kobe was the reason why Pau left to begin with. There's no reason to believe Pau saying that is just PR fluff when he's been saying that since 2008.

Guys leave teams. It's not always because of other guys.

Kobe is a difficult personality, but Pau Gasol leaving ain't the best proof of it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom