IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

Oh, we're posting stats from this season now?

I guess I'll play along.

Offense: Pts per 100 Poss.
W/ Kobe 107.2
W/o Kobe 108.7

Defense: Pts per 100 Poss.
W/ Kobe 121.0
W/o Kobe 108.1

36, 19 years in, ain't **** changed.

Also, when is somebody going to inform Byron Scott that Ed Davis is the best big man on the roster?

Last edited by a moderator:
I in no way watch enough Kobe or Lakers to really comment but I just have one opinion on the subjecy. I did watch one full Laker game this year and just by casual observation it seemed like Kobe just forced shot after shot. When he got the ball it seemed like he only passed when absolutely necessary or stuck with no other option. He ended up with a good amount of points but the FG % was bad. That's it, no comment on the overall topic but just a casual observation from a casual basketball fan

I guess I'll play along.

W/ Kobe 107.2
W/o Kobe 108.7

W/ Kobe 121.0
W/o Kobe 108.1

Also, when is somebody going to inform Byron Scott that Ed Davis is the best big man on the roster?

Not a single starter for LA has a + in +/-.
Not Lin, not Kobe, not Wes, Not Booz, not Hill.

All 5 of them the offense is better when they're off the court and defense is better when they're off the court. The closer you get to being even in that stat correlates with how often you play with the second unit

How? Blowout losses will create that.
Why are all the bench guys +? Two reasons they log heavy minutes when game is out of reach and playing bench versus bench. Often times teams rest their best player around Kobe. If Kobe sits they grab rest for their guy especially if he's a wing. Which helps to ease the game for the bench.

Last edited:
I in no way watch enough Kobe or Lakers to really comment but I just have one opinion on the subjecy. I did watch one full Laker game this year and just by casual observation it seemed like Kobe just forced shot after shot. When he got the ball it seemed like he only passed when absolutely necessary or stuck with no other option. He ended up with a good amount of points but the FG % was bad. That's it, no comment on the overall topic but just a casual observation from a casual basketball fan
That's the impression im getting from Kobe this season as well.  I don't know if he is trying to prove something or what but between watching him and Swaggy P this years team is almost unbearable.  Terrible shot after terrible shot.

hes also 7th all time in playoff assists 
pimp.gif

I guess I'll play along.

W/ Kobe 107.2
W/o Kobe 108.7

W/ Kobe 121.0
W/o Kobe 108.1

Yep! 19 years of the Lakers being better without Kobe on the court!

I guess I'll play along.

W/ Kobe 107.2
W/o Kobe 108.7

W/ Kobe 121.0
W/o Kobe 108.1

I guess I'll play along.

W/ Kobe 107.2
W/o Kobe 108.7

W/ Kobe 121.0
W/o Kobe 108.1

Again since it was glossed over

Not a single starter for LA has a + in +/-.
Not Lin, not Kobe, not Wes, Not Booz, not Hill.

All 5 of them the offense is better when they're off the court and defense is better when they're off the court. The closer you get to being even in that stat correlates with how often you play with the second unit.

How? Blowout losses will create that.
Why are all the bench guys +? Two reasons they log heavy minutes when game is out of reach and playing bench versus bench. Often times teams rest their best player around Kobe. If Kobe sits they grab rest for their guy especially if he's a wing. Which helps to ease the game for the bench.

It was glossed over because points per and against per 100 possessions are different from +/-, :lol:

If you're interested in +/-, your lord and savior ranks 416th out of a possible 420 players, tho.

Anyway, I'm done w/ this thread, it was fun while it lasted.

It was glossed over because points per and against per 100 possessions are different from +/-, :lol:

If you're interested in +/-, your lord and savior ranks 416 out of a possible 420 players, tho.

Anyway, I'm done w/ this thread, it was fun while it lasted.

I was using points per. As in a - in points per 100 possessions.

Offense (On / Off)
Lin: 105.5 / 111.3
Kobe: 107.2 / 108.7
Wes: 107.3 / 108.2
Boozer: 105.8 / 109.5
Hill: 105.8 / 111

Defense (On / Off)
Lin: 121.4 / 111.2
Kobe: 121.0 / 108.1
Wes: 121.3 / 110.1
Boozer: 123.9 / 110.8
Hill: 119.8 / 113.7

Again you're welcome.

Kobe's also 35th in Player Efficiency. 16th in Value Added. T-15th in Estimated Wins Added.

Your +/- usage only shows us the Lakers stink. Boozer 410. Wes 413. Hill 414. Kobe 416. Lin 417.

Also Al Jefferson is 415.

Last edited:

He actually does pass
smile.gif

Kobe finished with a triple-double, and became the oldest player in NBA history to record a 30-10-10 game.
Yeah 19 years in the NBA, 6000 assists. 3.85 PER GAME. You are right, he does pass
eyes.gif
Its funny how the Kobe haters use the 19 years as an excuse for Kobe being able to accumulate stats like assists, but have no problem dropping the "most missed shots in NBA history" stat.....as if somehow the 19 years thing doesnt apply for that particular statistic.

Last edited:
Those aren't haters, just trolls, :lol:

You can't bring up 6k assists and then just discount the most missed shots thing, tho, because they're both things that come w/ longevity.

I could care less about either, honestly.

He should have way more assists and way less shots missed/attempted, IMO.

That's always been my gripe w/ him, we've never really seen a well balanced Kobe for extended periods of time.

It's either facilitating Kobe or 30 attempts per game Kobe, and 95% of the time its the latter.

Hyper is good in my book. He is at least thinking critically and using support for his statements.

Other dudes saying dumb **** like 3.8 per game (not understanding that's this year only, not representative of the previous 18 years) is just straight wastes of time.

I agree Hyper, he "should" have more than 6K assists, and fewer misses, but that's on us, not him. His job has been to attack, per what coaches have set up for him. Even Phil. Phil tells him to score, he does, Phil tells him to scale it back, he does. Primarily, for 17-18-19 years, his job has been to score, not distribute.

In a perfect world, he would be closer to 28K points, 7K assists, but that's not what has been asked of him.

Kobe's also 35th in Player Efficiency. 16th in Value Added. T-15th in Estimated Wins Added.

Your +/- usage only shows us the Lakers stink. Boozer 410. Wes 413. Hill 414. Kobe 416. Lin 417.

You really don't want to get into this whole adv statistic thing w/ Kobe, because they aren't kind to him, at all.

Another thing is, I know the Lakers stink, but I'm aware that the entire roster stinks, including Kobe.

Hyper is good in my book. He is at least thinking critically and using support for his statements.

Other dudes saying dumb **** like 3.8 per game (not understanding that's this year only, not representative of the previous 18 years) is just straight wastes of time.

I agree Hyper, he "should" have more than 6K assists, and fewer misses, but that's on us, not him. His job has been to attack, per what coaches have set up for him. Even Phil. Phil tells him to score, he does, Phil tells him to scale it back, he does. Primarily, for 17-18-19 years, his job has been to score, not distribute.

In a perfect world, he would be closer to 28K points, 7K assists, but that's not what has been asked of him.

I get that, but he should've realized a long time ago that taking contested 18 footers isn't good basketball, :lol:

There's a huge difference between being asked to score and forcing it.

It's especially awful these past few years because their transition D has been pretty much non existent.

You're not doing your D any favors by fading away from 20 ft while double teamed.

Back
Top Bottom