IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

15 range, no shame in that

Not at all. And to be Top 15ish of ALL-TIME TO EVER PLAY THE GAME OF BASKETBALL AT THE PROFESSIONAL LEVEL DOES NOT EQUATE TO BEING OVERRATED.

Those two lines are incongruent. I feel like we've had this discussion before...[COLOR=#red]MertonHanks[/COLOR]

You know where I stand with players being "overrated."

That's 3 players that are flat out better than Kobe Brant, do I need to keep going?....

Y'all got quiet all of a sudden :lol:

Kobe is a 25, 5 & 5 player fortunate enough to play in the media age, with the greatest NBA franchise, with the best ownership, with the greatest coach in NBA history, the most dominating player of his era and meet up against Eastern Conference teams that were merely Finals formalities (Pacers, 76ers, Orlando, Boston with an injured KG).

HE IS NOT ONE OF THE TOP 5 GREATEST PLAYERS IN NBA HISTORY.

And the fact that so many people think he is, is a testament to his "overratedness".

Let me run with this reasoning...

Kareem Abdul Jabbar is a 20 10 4 player fortunate enough to have played during his prime in an nonathletic age, been on the most successful nba franchise ever, with the best owner and front office, a top 5 coach, and playing with an offense run by the greatest point guard of all time who (as a rookie) had to bail him out repeatedly and ultimately overshadowed him as the true leader on the court and in the locker room due to his poor attitude.

He played on a team filled with all stars that ran a system designed to hide is weaknesses in transition and in Milwakee he played with one of the best forwards of all time. He may hold the scoring record but what does that say about a player who took the most field goal attempts in NBA history by a margin of over 2,000 shots.

He is NOT the best center of all time, or even top 3 all time

Last edited:
Not at all. And to be Top 15ish of ALL-TIME TO EVER PLAY THE GAME OF BASKETBALL AT THE PROFESSIONAL LEVEL DOES NOT EQUATE TO BEING OVERRATED.
Those two lines are incongruent. I feel like we've had this discussion before...[COLOR=#red]MertonHanks[/COLOR]
You know where I stand with players being "overrated."

Being overrated is subjective and based on where one rates him on the list. Him being a top 15 player imo is not the reason why hes overrated to me. Most NBA analysts put him in the top 15 all time. But going through this thread, you got people claiming top 5, even second all time behind MJ. Can we say those people overrate Kobe? Kobe has 9 NBA All defensive first team awards. Can I say his defense is overrated? And just because hes top 10 or 15 of all time, that doesnt mean at one point in his career, he wasnt overrated. I put him in the 15 all time greats, but I cant say hes overrated at this very moment?

Peoples feelings getting hurt in this thread :lol: ....the fact that goldenchild said hes overrated i just cant agree with that, THE NUMBERS DONT LIE HOMIE! If you wanna go ahead and say hes not top 5 in NBA History then thats another discussion, but dont come up in here saying hes overrated

[table][tr][td]1. Philadelphia[/td][td]Allen Iverson[/td][td]Georgetown[/td][/tr][tr][td]2. Toronto[/td][td]Marcus Camby[/td][td]Massachusetts[/td][/tr][tr][td]3. Vancouver[/td][td]Shareef Abdur-Rahim[/td][td]California[/td][/tr][tr][td]4. Milwaukee (a)[/td][td]Stephon Marbury[/td][td]Georgia Tech[/td][/tr][tr][td]5. Minnesota (a)[/td][td]Ray Allen[/td][td]Connecticut[/td][/tr][tr][td]6. Boston (from Dallas)[/td][td]Antoine Walker[/td][td]Kentucky[/td][/tr][tr][td]7. LA Clippers[/td][td]Lorenzen Wright[/td][td]Memphis[/td][/tr][tr][td]8. New Jersey[/td][td]Kerry Kittles[/td][td]Villanova[/td][/tr][tr][td]9. Dallas (from Boston)[/td][td]Samaki Walker[/td][td]Louisvile[/td][/tr][tr][td]10. Indiana (from Denver)[/td][td]Erick Dampier[/td][td]Mississippi State[/td][/tr][tr][td]11. Golden State[/td][td]Todd Fuller[/td][td]North Carolina State[/td][/tr][tr][td]12. Cleveland (from Wash.)[/td][td]Vitaly Potapenko[/td][td]Wright State[/td][/tr][tr][td]13. Charlotte[/td][td]Kobe Bryant[/td][td]Lower Merion HS[/td][/tr][tr][td]14. Sacramento[/td][td]Predrag Stojakovic[/td][td]PAOK (Greece)[/td][/tr][tr][td]15. Phoenix[/td][td]Steve Nash[/td][td]Santa Clara[/td][/tr][tr][td]16. Charlotte (from Miami)[/td][td]Tony Delk[/td][td]Kentucky[/td][/tr][tr][td]17. Portland[/td][td]Jermaine O'Neal[/td][td]Eau Claire HS[/td][/tr][tr][td]18. New York (from Detroit)[/td][td]John Wallace[/td][td]Syracuse[/td][/tr][tr][td]19. New York (from Atlanta)[/td][td]Walter McCarty[/td][td]Kentucky[/td][/tr][tr][td]20. Cleveland[/td][td]Zydrunas Ilgauskas[/td][td]Lithuania[/td][/tr][tr][td]21. New York[/td][td]Dontae Jones[/td][td]Mississippi State[/td][/tr][tr][td]22. Vancouver (from Houston)[/td][td]Roy Rogers[/td][td]Alabama[/td][/tr][tr][td]23. Denver (from Indiana)[/td][td]Efthimis Rentzias[/td][td]PAOK[/td][/tr][tr][td]24. LA Lakers[/td][td]Derek Fisher[/td][td]Arkansas-Little Rock[/td][/tr][tr][td]25. Utah (b)[/td][td]Martin Muursepp[/td][td]BC Kalev Tallinn[/td][/tr][tr][td]26. Detroit (from San Antonio)[/td][td]Jerome Williams[/td][td]Georgetown[/td][/tr][tr][td]27. Orlando[/td][td]Brian Evans[/td][td]Indiana[/td][/tr][tr][td]28. Atlanta (from Seattle)[/td][td]Priest Lauderdale[/td][td]Peristeri (Greece)[/td][/tr][tr][td]29. Chicago[/td][td]Travis Knight[/td][td]Connecticut[/td][/tr][/table]

Last edited:
[table][tr][td]RK[/td][td]PLAYER[/td][td]TEAM[/td][td]GP[/td][td]MPG[/td][td]PTS[/td][td]FGM-FGA[/td][td]FG%[/td][td]3PM-3PA[/td][td]3P%[/td][td]FTM-FTA[/td][td]FT%[/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]Kobe Bryant, SG[/td][td]LAL[/td][td]15[/td][td]37.0[/td][td]27.7[/td][td]9.2-18.3[/td][td].502[/td][td]2.1-5.1[/td][td].421[/td][td]7.2-8.3[/td][td].871[/td][/tr][tr][td]2[/td][td]Carmelo Anthony, SF[/td][td]NY[/td][td]13[/td][td]36.3[/td][td]26.3[/td][td]9.3-19.9[/td][td].467[/td][td]2.2-5.2[/td][td].433[/td][td]5.5-6.9[/td][td].789[/td][/tr][tr][td]3[/td][td]Kevin Durant, SF[/td][td]OKC[/td][td]15[/td][td]39.1[/td][td]25.9[/td][td]8.3-16.7[/td][td].498[/td][td]1.6-3.7[/td][td].436[/td][td]7.7-8.5[/td][td].898[/td][/tr][tr][td]4[/td][td]LeBron James, SF[/td][td]MIA[/td][td]13[/td][td]37.2[/td][td]25.2[/td][td]9.9-18.7[/td][td].531[/td][td]1.4-3.2[/td][td].439[/td][td]3.9-5.8[/td][td].671[/td][/tr][tr][td]5[/td][td]James Harden, SG[/td][td]HOU[/td][td]14[/td][td]38.8[/td][td]25.1[/td][td]7.6-17.3[/td][td].442[/td][td]2.0-5.9[/td][td].337[/td][td]7.8-9.4[/td][td].832[/td][/tr][tr][td]6[/td][td]Russell Westbrook, PG[/td][td]OKC[/td][td]15[/td][td]35.9[/td][td]21.1[/td][td]7.6-18.1[/td][td].419[/td][td]1.4-4.3[/td][td].328[/td][td]4.5-5.7[/td][td].791[/td][/tr][tr][td]7[/td][td]O.J. Mayo, SG[/td][td]DAL[/td][td]15[/td][td]34.6[/td][td]20.8[/td][td]7.1-14.7[/td][td].486[/td][td]2.9-5.5[/td][td].524[/td][td]3.7-4.3[/td][td].846[/td][/tr][tr][td]8[/td][td]LaMarcus Aldridge, PF[/td][td]POR[/td][td]13[/td][td]37.9[/td][td]20.6[/td][td]8.2-18.7[/td][td].440[/td][td]0.0-0.4[/td][td].000[/td][td]4.2-5.3[/td][td].783[/td][/tr][tr][td]9[/td][td]Chris Bosh, C[/td][td]MIA[/td][td]13[/td][td]33.8[/td][td]20.2[/td][td]7.2-12.9[/td][td].560[/td][td]0.2-0.9[/td][td].167[/td][td]5.6-6.5[/td][td].859[/td][/tr][tr][td]10[/td][td]Paul Pierce, SF[/td][td]BOS[/td][td]14[/td][td]33.6[/td][td]20.1[/td][td]6.4-14.9[/td][td].428[/td][td]2.0-4.6[/td][td].431[/td][td]5.4-6.1[/td][td].872[/td][/tr][/table]

Being overrated is subjective and based on where one rates him on the list. Him being a top 15 player imo is not the reason why hes overrated to me. Most NBA analysts put him in the top 15 all time. But going through this thread, you got people claiming top 5, even second all time behind MJ. Can we say those people overrate Kobe? Kobe has 9 NBA All defensive first team awards. Can I say his defense is overrated? And just because hes top 10 or 15 of all time, that doesnt mean at one point in his career, he wasnt overrated. I put him in the 15 all time greats, but I cant say hes overrated at this very moment?

People? More like my fellow Laker fans, who by the very definition of a fanatic are more likely to be biased. It's fair to say we overrate Kobe Bryant. But out of all the basketball fans worldwide, how many are Laker fans? 20%? HIGHLY doubt it. 5% is probably closer to reality. But let's just say 20% of all basketball fans worldwide are Laker fans for argument sake and they overrate Kobe Bryant, why would you (or anyone else) allow such a small minority define where one player ranks all time? You even said it yourself that NBA analysts, "the experts", rate him in the 15ish range. If we allowed the minority to define where players stand, everyone would be overrated outside of Michael Jordan. At one point, 76er fans overrated Iverson. Magic fans overrated T-Mac. Etc...

^ Dudes in the Laker Thread been workin with feelings fer a week now. This thread literally got them Butthurt :smokin :lol:

the fact that people need to make these types of threads is a sign that kobe haters are still salty as hell (i.e. have tender feelings)
it has been at least 12 years of salty tears for the haters and it will continue

yall are haters, forget accolades Kobe Bryant is arguably the greatest player of all time, game has evolved times have changed, had kobe bryant played for the bulls in the 90's with his same game, and never touched the white girl all of you guys would be eating your words, i hate the lakers, but i'm not hater of the game, Kobe is amazing.. dude has played 16+ seasons no break, look at what hes doing right now? thats not a fluke, say the game went soft whatever look at his field goal percantage, on taller quicker, and just all around more athletic competition, yall need to stop

yall are haters, forget accolades Kobe Bryant is arguably the greatest player of all time, game has evolved times have changed, had kobe bryant played for the bulls in the 90's with his same game, and never touched the white girl all of you guys would be eating your words, i hate the lakers, but i'm not hater of the game, Kobe is amazing.. dude has played 16+ seasons no break, look at what hes doing right now? thats not a fluke, say the game went soft whatever look at his field goal percantage, on taller quicker, and just all around more athletic competition, yall need to stop

How about no.

34 and still doing his thing :pimp:

:smh: I'm the LAST person to give Kobe props, I didn't like him since the '96 draft when he pulled his little stunt, but he's not overrated. I love basketball and I respect his game.

He's not arguably the GOAT. Kill that noise right now b. And please don't interpret me as saying he's trash, because that's not what I'm saying.

Last edited:
I would say in terms of adapting their game throughout their career.. MJ & Kobe are leaps and bounds ahead of everyone.

I think under 10 is an insult. Not in the fact that 15 is terrible. I mean it's 15th of All Time, but he doesn't belong lower than 10th.

Longevity alone, he's in his 17th year. Still at an elite level. And he doesn't appear to be slowing up. That's greatness that with the exception of Kareem, is unheard of . That longevity is not overrated at all. That should be admired. If he was an average SG in his 17th year that would still be impressive. But being the top of your position in your 17th year is :x

As I thought more about it. Had me shuffle 3-5 to 3. Kareem 4. Russell 5. Bird and Kobe is still 6th.

Last edited:
Who originated this notion that Kobe Bryant is currently a top 5 NBA player? Don't be fooled by his fluke start... he will not continue shooting 50%.

We're talking about a guy who has never shot 47% in a season.

YEAR AFTER YEAR, this guy continues to neglect is teammates only because he wants to score 30 points and have people blame his teammates for their "lack of aggression." Yeah, okay.

I just don't understand what is so perplexing about this man's career. Why can't everyone see it for what it is? The ONLY thing that is somewhat impressive is his longevity. Everything else is overrated. Dude has received unlimited lifelines because he plays on the NBA's biggest cash cow. Phantom calls, rings handed to him, etc.

YEAR AFTER YEAR, this guy shoots a ton of shots at an average shooting percentage and gets glorified. WHY? Anybody who has played basketball knows that the coach always emphasized "get a high percentage shot." This guy does the exact opposite and gets praised. WHY? Meanwhile, he has All-Star teammates that are left with no role on the team all because this guy is out for his own points, and only his own points.

YEAH AFTER YEAR this guy misses a tremendous amount of big shots, rarely makes any... yet gets praised as "clutch." He is a terrible decision maker. He would rather take a terrible shot with 3 defenders when two teammates are open... yet people continue to ignore that.

YEAR AFTER YEAR, this guy tries to single-handedly eliminate his own team from the playoffs... and year after year, he either succeeds (2004 vs. Detroit, 2012 vs. OKC) or gets bailed out (game 6 vs. OKC, game 5 vs. Phoenix, game 7 vs. Boston).

Why does anybody still respect this guy after he disgraced the sport of basketball and the concept of teamwork in the 2004 NBA Finals?

There has never been an athlete in professional sports that has benefited as much from media protection, blatantly crooked officiating and the overall stupidity of sports fans as much as Kobe Bryant. It's actually sad. You got the guys at Stern's office telling TNT and ABC to sell the basketball viewers on Kobe Bryant's "historic greatness," and it works. It's pathetic that basketball viewers who have never played ball actually believe that Charles Barkley is telling the truth when he says the forced "listen, Kobe Bryant is top 5 all-time... but he cost his team 2 games this series." You know why he says that? Because it's in the job description. He has to trick the casual, dumb fans into believing that statement because the Lakers are the NBA's cash cow. If you think Charles Barkley would say Bean is top 5 behind closed doors, you're crazy.

And then you guys love to talk about the 81 point game. Let me ask you something: say a player attempts 40-45 field goal attempts ten or more times in their career. What do you think is going to happen? It's simple probability. He might catch fire one night (which he did, ONCE), he might be average most nights, and he might be terrible the other nights. This guy was mainly terrible. If you continue to take 40-45 shots, you will eventually catch fire for at least one game. You guys love to talk about his 81 points on 45 shots... I never hear ANYONE talk about he set an NBA record of 30 missed shots the night he took 47 shots.

YEAR AFTER YEAR, people continue to ignore the fact that he should have no problem finishing his career with the MOST MISSED SHOTS in NBA history.

Kobe Bryant isn't a professional shot maker. He's a professional shot misser. Kobe Bryant is a lot better at missing shots than he is at making shots.

Why isn't that as clear as day?

But to answer the question... YES, Kobe Bryant is overrated. Overrated by epic proportions. If he landed on ANY (and I mean ANY) other team in 1996, he would of been out of the NBA a long time ago... just like Iverson.

How about no.

34 and still doing his thing
pimp.gif
These are the joker fans that are clueless. How can you give the guy props for that TERRIBLE game? It's sickening. The guy disgraces the sport on a nightly basis, neglects his teammates and the concept of teamwork, takes a massive amount of terrible shots, but then gets praised because he makes some shots here and there.

Who originated this notion that Kobe Bryant is currently a top 5 NBA player? Don't be fooled by his fluke start... he will not continue shooting 50%.

We're talking about a guy who has never shot 47% in a season.

YEAR AFTER YEAR, this guy continues to neglect is teammates only because he wants to score 30 points and have people blame his teammates for their "lack of aggression." Yeah, okay.

I just don't understand what is so perplexing about this man's career. Why can't everyone see it for what it is? The ONLY thing that is somewhat impressive is his longevity. Everything else is overrated. Dude has received unlimited lifelines because he plays on the NBA's biggest cash cow. Phantom calls, rings handed to him, etc.

YEAR AFTER YEAR, this guy shoots a ton of shots at an average shooting percentage and gets glorified. WHY? Anybody who has played basketball knows that the coach always emphasized "get a high percentage shot." This guy does the exact opposite and gets praised. WHY? Meanwhile, he has All-Star teammates that are left with no role on the team all because this guy is out for his own points, and only his own points.

YEAH AFTER YEAR this guy misses a tremendous amount of big shots, rarely makes any... yet gets praised as "clutch." He is a terrible decision maker. He would rather take a terrible shot with 3 defenders when two teammates are open... yet people continue to ignore that.

YEAR AFTER YEAR, this guy tries to single-handedly eliminate his own team from the playoffs... and year after year, he either succeeds (2004 vs. Detroit, 2012 vs. OKC) or gets bailed out (game 6 vs. OKC, game 5 vs. Phoenix, game 7 vs. Boston).

Why does anybody still respect this guy after he disgraced the sport of basketball and the concept of teamwork in the 2004 NBA Finals?

There has never been an athlete in professional sports that has benefited as much from media protection, blatantly crooked officiating and the overall stupidity of sports fans as much as Kobe Bryant. It's actually sad. You got the guys at Stern's office telling TNT and ABC to sell the basketball viewers on Kobe Bryant's "historic greatness," and it works. It's pathetic that basketball viewers who have never played ball actually believe that Charles Barkley is telling the truth when he says the forced "listen, Kobe Bryant is top 5 all-time... but he cost his team 2 games this series." You know why he says that? Because it's in the job description. He has to trick the casual, dumb fans into believing that statement because the Lakers are the NBA's cash cow. If you think Charles Barkley would say Bean is top 5 behind closed doors, you're crazy.

And then you guys love to talk about the 81 point game. Let me ask you something: say a player attempts 40-45 field goal attempts ten or more times in their career. What do you think is going to happen? It's simple probability. He might catch fire one night (which he did, ONCE), he might be average most nights, and he might be terrible the other nights. This guy was mainly terrible. If you continue to take 40-45 shots, you will eventually catch fire for at least one game. You guys love to talk about his 81 points on 45 shots... I never hear ANYONE talk about he set an NBA record of 30 missed shots the night he took 47 shots.

YEAR AFTER YEAR, people continue to ignore the fact that he should have no problem finishing his career with the MOST MISSED SHOTS in NBA history.

Kobe Bryant isn't a professional shot maker. He's a professional shot misser. Kobe Bryant is a lot better at missing shots than he is at making shots.

Why isn't that as clear as day?

But to answer the question... YES, Kobe Bryant is overrated. Overrated by epic proportions. If he landed on ANY (and I mean ANY) other team in 1996, he would of been out of the NBA a long time ago... just like Iverson.

I've been saying this for quite some time, and I agree with those who say that Bryant is overrated. 

With that said, he is very good, but he is simply a one dimensional player, and then downright unwatchable for those of us who love the game. When hot, he can fill it up. When I watch players that I feel are the all time greats, or those who are considered the greatest, I look at players who've carried the league, then made even non fans of the game want to watch them ply their trade. Oscar Robertson did this for the NBA in the early years, as the purists loved his game, then on to Dr. J, who not only carried the ABA, but the NBA for a while as well, as his talent transcended the game itself. Bird and Magic did it after Doc, and Jordan also had this effect, as viewership and attendance for the NBA was at an all time high during his tenure as the best.

Here's a bit on what happened after Jordan retired,
[h3]Post-Jordan decline[/h3]
The retirement of Michael Jordan set in motion the decline in NBA ratings which continues today. Ratings for the 1999 NBA Finals  (which in fairness, came after a lockout shortened season) were down significantly from the previous year, from an 18.7 to an 11.3. Primetime regular season games, which had become fairly routine (and highly-rated) during the Jordan years, set record lows for NBC once Jordan retired. With the rise of the Los Angeles Lakers  in the early part of the 2000s (decade), ratings improved, but never to the level of the 1980s or 1990s.The highest NBA Finals ratings on NBC after Jordan left was the 2001 Finals, which featured the dominant and then-defending champion Lakers with Shaq and Kobe Bryant  versus the polarizing Allen Iverson  and the underdog Philadelphia 76ers. The ratings for that series were a 12.1, still down 35 percent from 1998. NBC's last Finals, in 2002, came after a resurgence in playoff ratings (including a 14.2 rating for Game 7 of the Western Conference Finals). However, the Finals itself registered the lowest ratings the event had seen since 1981, topping out at a 10.2 average.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Basketball_Association_Nielsen_ratings

During Kobe's prime, the NBA viewership has been on a steady decline. He does not make you want to watch him, outside of fans of LA Lakers, due to his not having that IT factor. He's never been that guy in the DR. J, Bird and Magic, or Jordan mold.

He's good as a player, but not very good as someone who transcends the game. You cannot deny the greatness of Doc, Magic and Bird or Jordan on court, but one can certainly say that due to Kobe not transcending the game, that he is most definitely not an all time top ten player.

Mikan

Wilt

Russell

Oscar

Kareem

Erving

Magic

Bird

Jordan

and now we have LeBron James.

Those above LeBron carried the league, and Kobe Bryant has not even come close to doing that. LeBron has a serious chance of doing just that.

While LeBron's offensive repertoire may not be as expansive as that of Kobe Bryant's, he is far more the complete player, one who can make people ooh and ahhh, without shooting the ball. People who are not fans of the game love watching unselfish players, players that play all sides of the ball, exhibiting a mastery of their trade. To many, what Jordan was able to do defensively, was equally as impressive as his offensive onslaughts, especially when he and Scottie were paired on the defensive end of the ball. Even if you hated Jordan, you had to admit, he was fun to watch.

Kobe Bryant has never been fun to watch. It always seems that he is trying too hard, taking the most difficult of shots, when they are not necessary, while also taking too many OF them.

That said, Kobe Bryant is indeed overrated, but the perspective of him actually being highly rated, only happens on forums such as this.

In reality where there are no REPORT BUTTONS, Kobe Bryant is just a good player.

Last edited:
Kobe Bryant has never been fun to watch. It always seems that he is trying too hard, taking the most difficult of shots, when they are not necessary, while also taking too many OF them.

I feel the same way.

Never got excited about dudes game.

During his prime, I got much more excitement from A.I. and T-Mac's legendary games.

Kobe chucks too much and then crucifies his teammates for not being involved, when he never allowed them to get in a rhythm with his selfishness.

His decision making is #pobre too.

He was the best player in the league only once, his rightfully deserved MVP year.

Look at page 239/240 etc. in the Lakers thread....same Lakers fans getting at me in this thread are saying the exact same things I've been posting. http://niketalk.com/t/508728/official-lakers-season-thread-7-8-11-30-vs-den/7170

Last edited:
So...

because someone isnt "exciting", that makes them overrated?
laugh.gif

Were the 04 Pistons or 2005 Spurs the most "exciting" teams in their respective seasons?

Just say "I dont like ___ as much as most people" before spewing this hogwash.

It's not about him not being an exciting individual player...it's about bad basketball being frustrating to watch.

And consistently selfish players being hard to root for.

Last edited:
It's not about him not being an exciting individual player...it's about bad basketball being frustrating to watch.
And consistently selfish players being hard to root for.

Yet Tmac and AI are exciting, but they were much more well known to be selfish players that were hard to root for.

Just sounds like you don't like watching Kobe, which is fine, but don't need to throw him down to Tmac/AI level, who arent even top 50 in the nba, all time.

Back
Top Bottom