IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

If you put all of CP's post in here together you could have a novel :lol: :lol:

Lol I'm sayin! Hell, I saw one post that looked like a thesis on its own! Smh

Take all that time n energy n get paid for it as a sports writer or something bro! Apply to your local newspaper company.

Isnt that the pot calling the kettle black?

Yall are spending alot time and energy in here for what? To talk about a man you hate?

so its a bad thing to write a well thought out argument now 
laugh.gif

Yall are spending alot time and energy in here for what? To talk about a man you hate?

Not nearly taking that much time while on my iPhone bro! Lol try the brown pot calling the hella verbose other pot black...

Oh n btw I don't "hate" anyone. I just dislike him very much.

Last edited:
If you put all of CP's post in here together you could have a novel :lol: :lol:

Lol I'm sayin! Hell, I saw one post that looked like a thesis on its own! Smh

Take all that time n energy n get paid for it as a sports writer or something bro! Apply to your local newspaper company.

:lol: I wish.

I write for a Dolphins site but I'm not a true to life scout like a lot of the others, puts me behind the 8 ball.

You all want essays, the stuff we got in the Legacy thread blows this thread away. Crazy long write ups, and not just by me. :lol:

:lol: I wish.

I write for a Dolphins site but I'm not a true to life scout like a lot of the others, puts me behind the 8 ball.

You all want essays, the stuff we got in the Legacy thread blows this thread away. Crazy long write ups, and not just by me. :lol:

Lol good for you. At least some of that energy is being out to a more formal use n hopefully with pay.

Sometimes I think you are a editing intern on this joint! Lol

You were never no Laker fan.

As for how you talkin to me, yeah ok. You tough, sure buddy.

Bottom line, you comparin JR to Kobe, poor man, rich man, whatever. Lame any way you look at it. They were young, and shoot far away, the end. JR brain capacity never let's him even enter the poor man's Kobe. Kobe was raw as hell at 18 and within 2 years was refining by the minute. JR TODAY isn't that polished. Skilled, no doubt, but not even a poor man's.
So you think that if J.R. Smith played full-time minutes and declared himself the number one option (when really he should be option 3), took 23 shots a game... he couldn't score 25 a game?

You don't believe that.

J.R. Smith isn't a poor man's Kobe.

J.R. Smith is a middle-class man's Kobe.

Last edited:

Not nearly taking that much time while on my iPhone bro! Lol try the brown pot calling the hella verbose other pot black...

Oh n btw I don't "hate" anyone. I just dislike him very much.

YOU HAVE 35 POSTS IN THIS THREAD IN PAST 3 WEEKS TALKING ABOUT A MAN YOU DISLIKE!

Thats not a waste of time and energy?

So you think that if J.R. Smith played full-time minutes and declared himself the number one option (when really he should be option 3), took 23 shots a game... he couldn't score 25 a game?

You don't believe that.

JR smith couldnt be a middle class knock off Kobe if he try. When you're talking about Kobe. You have to look at his skills like footwork, post moves, fadeaway, shooting etc.

JR Smith have played 8 years now. He's in his prime and his go to moves consist of step back jumper and pull up 3 pointer.

Nobody pay JR Smith top dollars for a reason. Come on bro.

Don't you think if JR smith could be a middle class man's Kobe then he should have been a starter by now or be a number one scoring option for an NBA team by now?

JR smith is a poor man Kobe at best.

Last edited:

You don't believe that.

JR smith couldnt be a middle class knock off Kobe if he try. When you're talking about Kobe. You have to look at his skills like footwork, post moves, fadeaway, shooting etc.

JR Smith have played 8 years now. He's in his prime and his go to moves consist of step back jumper and pull up 3 pointer.

Nobody pay JR Smith top dollars for a reason. Come on bro.

Don't you think if JR smith could be a middle class man's Kobe then he should have been a starter by now or be a number one scoring option for an NBA team by now?

JR smith is a poor man Kobe at best.

i wish youd all just stop replying to/quoting this guy.

ths is a prime example of how this clown CP misreads things.

i NEVER said JR was the same player as Kobe TODAY.

EVER.

what i said about JR equated to JR Smith being a poor mans Kobe.

my comparison of the two players where i said they were JUST ALIKE was me comparing the ROOKIE Kobe's childish play and poor shot selection to the way JR plays right now.

how JR smith NOW is just like Kobe was THEN, you ******g clown.

but your were too busy typing out your 4 page reply than actually READING what i said.

some people dont have the brains to understand you can compare anything to anything, the details are in what you're specifically comparing.

keep my name out your mouth unless you know what the **** you're talking about.

now anyone interested in what i had to say:

imagine being the fan of a team where a JR Smith comes in as a ROOKIE. poor shot selection, low basketball iq, half court 3's, and ball hogging.

imagine this ROOKIE's behavior going unchecked.

imagine your favorite team being torn apart by a self absorbed kid that couldnt do any wrong

upper management loves him, the coaching staff is scared of him, and he's clashing with the already star of the team.

thats what it was like as a Laker fan (me) watching my team.

we had a certified JR Smith on our team free to do whatever he wanted to do unchecked.

THATS what i compared.

when i see JR Smith play TODAY, i see the ROOKIE Kobe.

You can stop.

JR smith never have the work ethic of a ROOKIE Kobe.

Rookie Kobe earned the respect from NBA legend like Jerry West in first team practice.

This thread isn't about who you think can/can't post, why you think someone is posting, what you think is wasted time, or the fact that you think someone's opinion ridiculous.

on that last one, though, if you find someone's opinion ridiculous and you can back it up with an argument, post it.

otherwise, move on.

this thread also isn't about you defending yourself. "but he said I'm obsessed Kobe fan. I have to defend that."

"he said I spend too much time and energy hating on Kobe. I have to defend that."

" he said I have a troll account. I have to defend that."

actually, no you don't.

if you have nothing to contribute to this thread... Or if you have nothing more to contribute to this thread and you feel like you're repeating the same thing over and over to try to get people to see your view... let the thread die. if all you have to contribute now is laughing emoticons at a reply you're quoting, stop.

YOU HAVE 35 POSTS IN THIS THREAD IN PAST 3 WEEKS TALKING ABOUT A MAN YOU DISLIKE!

Thats not a waste of time and energy?

About as much energy as you are spending counting my posts n quoting me...fall back.

Nah I haven't been quoting and counting your posts for 3 weeks though,,,,,

Took me 2 mins to do that....you on the other hand and your negative obesssion with Kobe....

This thread isn't about who you think can/can't post, why you think someone is posting, what you think is wasted time, or the fact that you think someone's opinion ridiculous.

on that last one, though, if you find someone's opinion ridiculous and you can back it up with an argument, post it.

otherwise, move on.

this thread also isn't about you defending yourself. "but he said I'm obsessed Kobe fan. I have to defend that."

"he said I spend too much time and energy hating on Kobe. I have to defend that."

actually, no you don't.

if you have nothing to contribute to this thread... Or if you have nothing more to contribute to this thread and you feel like you're repeating the same thing over and over to try to get people to see your view... let the thread die. if all you have to contribute now is laughing emoticons at a reply you're quoting, stop.

I and I know most other pro-Kobe fans try to back it up all the time.....then we can get no rebuttal.....so then a different aspect of the Kobe is overrated assumption is discussed....then the same trolls come back with the same argument that you gave a rebuttal to earlier and act like its a new statement.

Guys like Sneakerpro have good rebuttals and you can have good banter with them but guys like XX HPDV III are just trolls they don't even attempt to back up their claims in a coherent matter. It really brings down the tenor of the debate.

Last edited:
Mister Friendly, that's all good and well, but you have your own unnecessary replies to worry about.[quote name="Mister Friendly"][quote name="DarthSka"]This thread isn't about who you think can/can't post, why you think someone is posting, what you think is wasted time, or the fact that you think someone's opinion ridiculous.

otherwise, move on.

actually, no you don't.

if you have nothing to contribute to this thread... Or if you have nothing more to contribute to this thread and you feel like you're repeating the same thing over and over to try to get people to see your view... let the thread die. if all you have to contribute now is laughing emoticons at a reply you're quoting, stop.[/quote]

I and I know most other pro-Kobe fans try to back it up all the time.....then we can get no rebuttal.....so then a different aspect of the Kobe is overrated assumption is discussed....then the same trolls come back with the same argument that you gave a rebuttal to earlier and act like its a new statement.

Guys like Sneakerpro have good rebuttals and you can have good banter with them but guys like XX HPDV III are just trolls they don't even attempt to back up their claims in a coherent matter. It really brings down the tenor of the debate.[/quote] *warned* (trolling)

Since you didn't want to heed the unofficial warning that you quoted, here's an official warning, just for you.

Last edited:

No... because Kobe Bryant shouldn't even be a number one scoring option with his career 45% shooting.

Guys like Sneakerpro have good rebuttals and you can have good banter with them but guys like XX HPDV III are just trolls they don't even attempt to back up their claims in a coherent matter. It really brings down the tenor of the debate.
Do you sit behind your computer and actually think that you're smart or something?

I've made numerous GREAT points in this thread, and others have acknowledged it.

You're just trying to dismiss me as a troll because I bring up a lot of facts that insinuate that the answer to the question posed in the thread title is "YES, VERY."

Your logic for calling me a troll is similar to the logic most Lakers' fan use when saying Kobe Bryant is a top 5 NBA player of all-time; there is absolutely NO LOGIC INVOLVED.

"His other posts on NikeTalk are asking if a LeBron James' jersey is authentic or not in the jersey thread, he must be a troll."

Get the **** outta here.

Last edited:
Also, the people in this thread that are saying that it's farfetched to believe that Paul Pierce is in the same league as Kobe Bryant or that it's farfetched to suggest that Jason Kidd would have accomplished equal to or more than Kobe Bryant given the same rosters & coaches as Bean... those people have a lot more troll credentials than I do.

But you wouldn't admit that because you're in denial about your favorite superhero, Robin.

Last edited:
XX HPDV III: *warned* (trolling)

This thread... any thread... is not intended for you to defend others calling you a troll, nor is it intended for you to express who has troll credentials.

"Damn, ska, it's almost like you only want us to talk about whatever topic has to do with whether or not Kobe Bryant is overrated" said everyone who gets it.

Last edited:
I have no idea why it took me so long but I have next thought to ask everyone.

Criteria. What criteria does each person use to eval players?

A ton of the arguments we've all been thru in here have been skewed/flawed in some way.

As an example, Deuce brought up multiple MVP's. Kobe only has 1. Someone mentioned Nash. I can do even better than that, Moses Malone. Moses has 3 MVP's, he won a title, points, rebounds, all kinds of stuff. We're 173 pages in, and I'm the first person to even say his name. And again, Moses, has 3, the logo of the NBA Jerry West has 0, Shaq has 1, Dream has 1, Wilt has 1 and Kobe has 1. So, is Moses better than all of them? Why?
So if you say no, just having 3 MVP's and 1 title is not enough, Shaq/Wilt etc have other stuff, then what counts, and what doesn't count?

Early early in the thread, someone was throwin Dr J around. J won 1 title, 1 MVP, and was all NBA 5 times, that's it. No Finals MVP's, not All Defense, just that. His numbers were nothin flashy, he doesn't even have 20K points, he was 22-6-4 per game for his career. Yet this resume was used as someone above the overratedness of Kobe.

So clearly, we all have a leak in our criteria basis.

If we did it by skill only. Talent, ability, guys like TMac, Vince, JR Smith would get big bump ups vs where they truly rank. So do you credit someone for being elite for a year, say a Grant Hill, but then falls off due to injury and such? Again, what do we use, a single year, 2 years? Minimum of 5?

I've spoken on someone before that I believe without a doubt SHOULD have been one of the 5-10 best ever. SHOULD. But clearly, never came close.

Rasheed Wallace.

He's known for his garbage, techs, etc. But talent and ability wise, look what he COULD do. He had range from 30+ feet. At 6-11, he could play C, PF, and SF. He had the quickness to go out on the peremiter on a switch, and bother a SG, yet recover down low to get a block at the rim. He had excellent footwork on the block, he was extremely well coached in terms of he shot the ball high every time, he was as fundamental as Duncan, he could use the glass, he could rebound, he could pass, he could defend in the post, and on the wing. He was long, athletic, could jump, he had EVERY, SINGLE, TOOL, needed. Everything. The entire, complete, package.

And he was a waste of time. He HATED playing in the paint. Hated banging. Was lazy early in his career. Unfocused. Never wanted IT. The IT that the greats have. Sheed never cared. He'd go to sleep during games, wouldn't demand the ball, hated posting up. He had everything, EVERYTHING in his game, and he wouldn't unleash it. He just wouldn't.

He had the range of Dirk, the defense of KG, the post footwork and fundamentals of Duncan, the passing of Webber, and he had the heart of Vince Carter. :smh:

So I don't rank him in the top anything because he didn't amass the things that the greats have that we are all debating. Look at Pierce who has been brought up. He's not tremendous at anything. Not a jumper, not overly athletic, not incredible on D, has range, but not unlimited like Sheed, a good passer, but nothing special or anything, yet his career is far better than Sheed. Harder worker? More heart? What is it? How do you slot them, or I should say, how do WE slot them?

If Sheed had all that natural talent and ability with the passion for the game that MJ and Kobe played with, think about what he could have done. TMac had the ability, but his body broke down all the time. AI had all the heart in the world. But he couldn't D anyone up, or play in the post, or rebound in the trees, his range was good, not special. Where do you slot them all, and based on what?

Does anyone even have a criteria they base things on?

Back
Top Bottom