Is Kobe Bryant Currently The Third Best Player In League?

Originally Posted by PLAYOFF12
roll.gif

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

Kobe still need motivation? Dang, biting Money like that, always seeking motivation... Did Phil pay Rolling Stone to write that?
tongue.gif
yea because michael jordan is the only player in sports history who is competitive....

I hate to agree with Stu Scott but he said "I'd take LeBron in the regular season, but I'd take Kobe in the playoffs hands down"

The writer works for Rolling Stone magazine...Its a music magazine...It's like Martha Stewart Living doing an article on Brady vs manning...Its stupid!

Originally Posted by PoeticJays

Originally Posted by hypebeast5

everyone is talking about stats and stuff ... but everyone is forgetting Cleveland is in East Coast ... check the standings and compare the teams from 5-8 .. see how tough is Western Conf? kobe is better hands down i thinks cavs fan will realize this to when june comes

the cavs are 22-6 against the west this year

some of you guys put WAYYYY too much emphasis on the regular season
that doesn't mean $#%^ even if they make it to the finals
regular season doesnt matter. i want to see how a player performs when it counts, and id take kobe over lebron 100 out of 100 times in the playoffs

so previous titles is really the main reason why you guys think Kobe is #1 at PRESENT?

you guys do realize players decline right? that just because someone was once the best player in the league does NOT mean that he will still be the best until the day he retires, or that someone else can never overtake him. Was jordan still the best player in the league when he came back for the wizards, because he had 6 titles? If lebron never wins a title, does that mean he can NEVER be better than kobe?

people forget that titles are a TEAM effort, that NO SINGLE PLAYER can get one by himself. So if the lakers were never given Gasol and kept getting bounced in the first round, that Kobe would be any less of an INDIVIDUAL PLAYER? Is Kobe of 05-06 that averaged 35 a night and 81 in a single game a lesser player than Kobe at present because the kobe at present has one extra ring and nba finals mvp?

Honestly, at PRESENT, if you watch the two objectively (i know that's impossible for most of you people), i can't see any good reason why Kobe would be considered a better all around player than Lebron. Yes, if there's one last shot to end the game, he's the one i'd want to take the shot. But just making last minute clutch shots does not = better player.

For 48 minutes a night on a night in and night out basis, NO ONE controls the game like Lebron does. He makes everyone around him better. He'll faciliate the first half, get everyone involved, and still end up with 30 by the end of the game. I honestly think he could turn any team in the league into not just a playoff team, but at least top 5-6 in the conference. yes this includes the nets. lebron + brook + devin harris is not a bad combo.

I mean really, what argument can really be made about Kobe being a better player RIGHT NOW? LeBron has him in EVERY stat category except FT (yes that includes 3 pt %). Yes, Kobe's made some memorable shots this year (and in his career), but lebron has him in 4th quarter scoring. just because Kobe has more rings and a more extensive resume doesn't mean he's a better player RIGHT NOW. Is Wade better than lebron cuz he has a ring? Is pierce?
I'm see what your saying, but being the best player in the nba is all about what you do in the playoffs....When your a player on Lebron and Kobe's level you haven't done anything in the playoffs unless you win the title..Lebron is always going to have amazing regular season numbers, he's been having amazing statistical seasons since his 2nd or 3rd yr in the league, but he hasn't done what matters most and thats win a title..

In my mind Kobe has been the best player in the league for the last 3-5 seasons and unless there begins to be a glaring gap between Lebron and Kobe(which obviously there isn't)...Kobe will continue to be the best until Lebron takes it from him and he takes it from him by winning a title, its that simple to me.

You say the only argument is that Kobe has rings, but thats a pretty HUGE argument especially when you consider that he is currently on the defending champs...not like Pierce or Wade like you said who won it 2 & 4 yrs ago...

If Lebron wins the title this year I will consider him the best, but if he doesn't win then Kobe will still be the best, cuz you already know if Lebron doesn't win it this year that means Kobe did...

Originally Posted by BlowDaWhistle

so previous titles is really the main reason why you guys think Kobe is #1 at PRESENT?

you guys do realize players decline right? that just because someone was once the best player in the league does NOT mean that he will still be the best until the day he retires, or that someone else can never overtake him. Was jordan still the best player in the league when he came back for the wizards, because he had 6 titles? If lebron never wins a title, does that mean he can NEVER be better than kobe?

people forget that titles are a TEAM effort, that NO SINGLE PLAYER can get one by himself. So if the lakers were never given Gasol and kept getting bounced in the first round, that Kobe would be any less of an INDIVIDUAL PLAYER? Is Kobe of 05-06 that averaged 35 a night and 81 in a single game a lesser player than Kobe at present because the kobe at present has one extra ring and nba finals mvp?

Honestly, at PRESENT, if you watch the two objectively (i know that's impossible for most of you people), i can't see any good reason why Kobe would be considered a better all around player than Lebron. Yes, if there's one last shot to end the game, he's the one i'd want to take the shot. But just making last minute clutch shots does not = better player.

For 48 minutes a night on a night in and night out basis, NO ONE controls the game like Lebron does. He makes everyone around him better. He'll faciliate the first half, get everyone involved, and still end up with 30 by the end of the game. I honestly think he could turn any team in the league into not just a playoff team, but at least top 5-6 in the conference. yes this includes the nets. lebron + brook + devin harris is not a bad combo.

I mean really, what argument can really be made about Kobe being a better player RIGHT NOW? LeBron has him in EVERY stat category except FT (yes that includes 3 pt %). Yes, Kobe's made some memorable shots this year (and in his career), but lebron has him in 4th quarter scoring. just because Kobe has more rings and a more extensive resume doesn't mean he's a better player RIGHT NOW. Is Wade better than lebron cuz he has a ring? Is pierce?
I'm see what your saying, but being the best player in the nba is all about what you do in the playoffs....When your a player on Lebron and Kobe's level you haven't done anything in the playoffs unless you win the title..Lebron is always going to have amazing regular season numbers, he's been having amazing statistical seasons since his 2nd or 3rd yr in the league, but he hasn't done what matters most and thats win a title..

In my mind Kobe has been the best player in the league for the last 3-5 seasons and unless there begins to be a glaring gap between Lebron and Kobe(which obviously there isn't)...Kobe will continue to be the best until Lebron takes it from him and he takes it from him by winning a title, its that simple to me.

You say the only argument is that Kobe has rings, but thats a pretty HUGE argument especially when you consider that he is currently on the defending champs...not like Pierce or Wade like you said who won it 2 & 4 yrs ago...

If Lebron wins the title this year I will consider him the best, but if he doesn't win then Kobe will still be the best, cuz you already know if Lebron doesn't win it this year that means Kobe did...

You did watch the playoffs last year...right?

The reason they lost wasnt because of Lebron. This type of logic is what people were probably saying about Jordan in 1990...."Yeah anybody who's paying attention can tell Jordan is the best in the leauge"  The reply.... " But Jordan isnt the best player...Gimme Magic or Isiah they've won rings" 
laugh.gif

I love Kobe! But Lebron is his equal or probably better.

So you guys are telling me that if you were creating a team you would pick Lebron over Kobe???

Lebron has horrible shot selection, plus it isn't consistent, and he bullies over skill.

Are you guys SERIOUS?

Add Kobe to damn near every team and they're most likely winning a title ... Lebron? Not so much.

Originally Posted by JD617

Originally Posted by hunter2k4

Originally Posted by JD617

The man is at a level right now that only Wilt and Jordan have ever reached. That enough of a reason?

wow just wow... smh 
tired.gif

Lebron is NOT at that MJ level!.... Esp. considering that a huge part of MJ's legacy is all about what he did in the Playoffs, I'm not saying LBJ can't do it or doesn't have the potential to do, he just hasn't done it yet.  I don't think that just because he is having a better season does it mean he is better than Kobe.  One thing that I do think we need to consider is the difference between being the best player in the NBA right now which Lebron may be, and that One is better than the Other as an absolute argument.  One season is not enough time to say this.  You mean that if Bron plays with a bum ankle next year and  a broken finger hindering his gameplay then all of a sudden Cav's fans would say Kobe's better? I doubt that...

laugh.gif
at "one season is not enough time."

You're making it sound like he's a decent player having a breakout season. This is becoming the norm for him:

'08-'09 reg. season: 28, 7, 7 on 49% shooting
'08-'09 playoffs: 35, 9, 7 on 51% shooting
'09-'10 reg season: 30, 7, 8.5 on 50% shooting

These are historic numbers he's putting up.

And yes, I know that he is gonna need championships to ultimately cement his place among the all-time greats, and I know that until he wins multiple championships, Kobe's career is better than Lebron's, but right now, as a basketball player, Lebron is the best on the planet and the level he is at right now has rarely been seen in the history of the league.

I'm sounding like a Lebron fan with these posts, but believe it or not I don't even like him that much. But as a fan of the game, I have to put that aside and recognize greatness.

U have a good point regarding the fact that my comment may have seemed like Bron is only having a good year and that's all.  My bad if it sounded that way, dude has been puttin' up great numbers since only his second year in the L.  But for the overall purpose of the Bron better than Kobe argument my point is that because LBJ is having the better season doesn't mean we should all be acting like the torch has been passed.  All I'm saying is: let's see them both healthy at the same time and then decide.  It was only last year that almost everyone was talking about how Kobe was the clearcut better player after important road wins in Boston and Cleveland.  Finally I agree with your comment regarding the fact that Bron is putting up historic numbers that we rarely have seen, but don't say he is at that level that only MJ has reached.  For the record, I'm not one of those dudes that measure players in terms of rings to decide if one is better than the other (See Robert Horry) and NO, Durant is NOT #2.  If any, he's right behind Melo and DWade.

Lebron is arguable but Durant? Hell !%**@+% no, dude hasn't even played ONE playoff game yet. Let him prove himself this postseason before we crown him, hell he could end up like T-Mac and be a second round virgin for years
laugh.gif

I believe Kobe is the best player in the league. Until Lebron wins a championship no way in hell you can say he's the best player.
So what if he has amazing stats in the regular season? It's all about winning the championship. Remember when Barkley had a killer
season with the Suns? But he fell short to Jordan and the Bulls. I think Kobe rather have the finals mvp then the regular season.

As far as Durant dude hasn't even won a playoff game YET so how is he even in the discussion?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Menacin Methods

I believe Kobe is the best player in the league. Until Lebron wins a championship no way in hell you can say he's the best player.
So what if he has amazing stats in the regular season? It's all about winning the championship. Remember when Barkley had a killer
season with the Suns? But he fell short to Jordan and the Bulls. I think Kobe rather have the finals mvp then the regular season.

As far as Durant dude hasn't even won a playoff game YET so how is he even in the discussion?
laugh.gif

We're talking about THIS YEAR.  Yes....we know Kobe has his rings, but it's a different NBA season.  As of right now, I am failing to see how anyone can say Lebron isn't the best player in the NBA.  Especially if we're talking about both offense and defense.  Some of you guys put a lot of stock into rings...which is fine.  If we're going to measure who had the better career, you can easily make the argument about Kobe having a better one than Lebrons...again, if we're solely talking about THIS SEASON, the torch has clearly been passed.  Some of you Kobe homers are something else....I have a feeling that dude could be retired for 2 seasons and you'd still rank him in the top 3 for current players in the NBA. 

God I cannot wait till one of these players falls off, or gets old, or retires so we can end the endless Kobe vs Lebron debates.

I also miss the days when being possibly the 2nd best player in the entire league actually was a good thing and not demeaning.

Originally Posted by TheAfricanDream

Kobe's lost a step, but he's still the best player in the league. Bron and others are better athletes at this point though. There is a difference

My sentiments exactly.

LBJ & KD are like the younger guys at the park...

They can do freakish  things, but usually comes up short.

If u cant get it done in the clutch moments, are u really the best?

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by Menacin Methods

laugh.gif

We're talking about THIS YEAR.  Yes....we know Kobe has his rings, but it's a different NBA season.  As of right now, I am failing to see how anyone can say Lebron isn't the best player in the NBA.  Especially if we're talking about both offense and defense.  Some of you guys put a lot of stock into rings...which is fine.  If we're going to measure who had the better career, you can easily make the argument about Kobe having a better one than Lebrons...again, if we're solely talking about THIS SEASON, the torch has clearly been passed.  Some of you Kobe homers are something else....I have a feeling that dude could be retired for 2 seasons and you'd still rank him in the top 3 for current players in the NBA. 

QFT real talk

--Not again.
eyes.gif

--I didnt bother to read other posts. Just the OP.
--Durant is that dude. But whatever dude said he's better than Mamba...I want some of what he smokin.
pimp.gif

This durant suckage is really starting to piss me off like really
laugh.gif
. how does a guy who putting up 29 for a 5th seed surpass the career of D-Wade, Melo, and Kobe, chris paul, hell even Bosh
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom